Anime Winter 2010

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Anime Winter 2010

Post by b0mb3r »

I find the "Anime Fall 09 Line-up!" a bit crowded of things unrelated to the fall since it's done. New thread and my review:

Finally after two weeks of working at a local film firm and cleaning my parent’s home I am able to watch this season anime:

First Impression:

Ladies and Butler: Funny a bit, especially the loli-grouping but I hate the blond girl, especially her hair. It looks like the butt end of a wasp. It is disgusting. I’ll keep watching a bit since I like the MC’s childhood friend with her oncoming torture plans in the future.

Okami Kakushi: I remember that one of you guys said is a great psp game since it was written by the 07 guy but the character designer Peach-Pit I dislike. I would rather play the game than watch poor adaptation of her characters. It is very irritating to look at them and take them seriously. Though I’ve admit I seen shows much worse than this so I will wait till this series to be done and read reviews in the future.
Dropped for now.

Chu-Bra: Well I must say the animation quality is decent and the character design is aimed towards to-you-know-who and I do like the glasses girl teaching me about underwear I find this series to lack a story and total fanservice compare to okami. Dropped.

Qwaser: Ok I admit. MC is poking BADASS. Grouped a girl in his first day? Badass (no offense to you ladies). Still I just hate the supporting cast and the real off-beat editing. I guess to watch the manga’s nipple sucking is intolerable to viewers. Dropped for now.

Sora no Woto: I don’t what I can say about this show beside I like it. It is hard to get pass the K-ON design (A-1 what are you thinking, comparison competition or something?) but I love the Spanish castle, the french songs, the german military outfit, and japense festival all together. I think I just love or in need of those fictional slice-of-life mood. Or the premise of a girl entering a new city excites her. That or because I am finally watching ARIA for many possible claims of the word “peace” and I am liking it so far.

Dance in the Vampire Bund: Never have I been trolled so bad. From people reviews SHAFT has added a stupid tv program with poor quality (it gets high at the end). My butt hurts so much that not even ENDLESS EIGHT can do that much. Now that says a lot.
FUKIN DROPPED!

Durarara: Well I gonna give it a chance. One some reason this studio works reminds me a lot of Persona 3’s animation some reason. Two is an introduction to all the characters. Three I like the character design haven’t seen something I consider original. Four this is making up not watching Baccano…..I will in the future don’t hurt me >_<

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu: This show is my favorite. Everything about is awesome. The characters, the music, the plot, the quality. Everything. Also my favorite character is Yoshii Akihisa. His um situation reminds me of me: Example:
Spoiler! :
Himeji Mizuki: Are Punishment Inspectors strong?

Sakamoto Yuuji: Yeah. Only very special people can be one. It’s a title given to mentally disabled kids who get bad grades.

Kinoshita Hideyoshi: It translates to “idiot”

Shimada Minami: In other words, a worthless piece of crap.

Himeji Mizuki: Wow! That’s amazing!
so Yeah i that's my life and I sympathize any learning-disabled kids like me. INSTANT KEEP!

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Anime Winter 2010

Post by ainsoph9 »

For me, Ookami Kakushi, Sora no Woto (why "wo" instead of the usual "o"?), Dance in the Vampire Bund, Durarara, and Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu are my picks for this season. I am dropping Ladies x Butlers because it is just pure fan service bleh, although I admit that the childhood friend is interestingly sadistic. Chu-Bra and Qwaser are about on the same level for me. They sound like bad "plots" for pronos. Otherwise, I am going to continue my fixes on Keroro Gunso, FMA: Brotherhood, Cross Game, To Aru no Railgun, and Kiddy Girl-and among others. I also just picked up the first episode of Nodame Cantabile: Finale, which was more of the same Nodame fun.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

To have the overview here, too:
Spoiler! :
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Seriously people, go give Vampire Bund a read BEFORE you even touch the Shaft/Shinbo crap

And I still can't believe how much Silver Link improved their quality since Tayutama. Hell, the Baka Test anime might get me to give the manga another chance
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Am I the only one who hates the baka anime? It sux in my opinion... All their strategy are gone!! Now it becomes a "Grades is the most important thing in the world" story!! They won with tactics, not brute force!!

Sora no woto, Dropped it after one episode. Having been in the army in my country for two years, I know you DEFINITELY will get punished heavily for some mistakes that she did... Maybe it differs from country to country, but i cant stand it...
P.S. ARIA isnt about peace, more of the beauty of daily things. Beautiful things are there, just so long as you wish to see and accept them.

Dance in the vampire bund. Its a manga which I actually consider more of politics, so it might take a while before it gets better. There is action mixed within, but oh well. I read several volumes of the manga, but didnt carry on. Not the best out there imo.

Durarara: I chatted with my friend about this, and both of us agreed on one thing, we dont really understand what is going on in episode 2. My viewpoint: The first half of the second episode is a recap of the first, earliest recap i have ever watched. It goes by a different viewpoint, yes, but the anime scenes are EXACTLY the same. Then in the second half, a bloody asshole comes about so much so you would think hes an asshole. But what i cant stand is where the rider is when the girl was being forced to her doom? My conclusion is that the rider is smoking at that small corner where the girl is falling on, which is why she saved the girl. Think about it, the rider left the girl up there all along, did nothing but watch, and finally comes out to save and say just one bloody line. Then the girl suddenly becomes positive about life? WTF!? she was kidnapped, almost sold/raped, got sent to an asshole, found out she was someone's toy all along, and one single line made her all positive about life. Wow!

Ladies and butler: An interesting story, the only one i really look forward to this season. If i find the novel, i will probably be tempted to give it a try. Even though it did give me some problems. (For those who watched it, try having your family members nearby when u get to certain you know what scenes involving a certain maid, and using speakers instead of earphones.)

Chuu bra, Omamori Himari are currently in my list coz i feel too bored with one or two series that i look forward to, they are to be dropped at any time.

As for Okami Kakushi, havent tried it yet, though i did get it.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

shadow you were in the military?! what is your 1337 skillz!

baka baka baka
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

To be fair, I hated the Baka Test manga and novel, felt too generic

I think the anime appeals to me because it reminds me of Pani Poni Dash: somewhat random and still hilariously awesome even though you already know what's coming

And name me the last time a table was glued to a character's hand for almost an entire episode
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Sora no Woto ep2:
Spoiler! :
walking tanks always rock. reminds me of that robot from ghost in the shell
Durara ep2:
Spoiler! :
wow i love the recap. hell i like Orihara Izaya for his logic, even if people say he is despicable
Baka Test ep2:
Spoiler! :
i love Yuuji's plan. never works and they're all baka. Kirishima Shouko reminds me of Nanaka from Cross Channel, especially how Shouko handle Yuuji at the end,

baka baka baka
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

b0mb3r wrote:shadow you were in the military?! what is your 1337 skillz!
Hmm, I believe that shadow is actually in his country's National Service if I am not to be mistaken about the country he's in. He's in the military for that. Shadow correct me if I'm wrong 'kaythanks

Okay let's see...
Spoiler! :
LvsB (Ladies vs Butlers!) - I see Kanokon's character designer behind this, but so far nothing else is wrong, even if my bias states that I hate Ojous with a passion. Godspeed guy-with-a-scar-on-his-eyebrow

BakaTest - I was pretty much taken by the first episode, and I need to watch more to know more, although I'd prefer reading more.

So-Ra-No-Wo-To - I hope no one will put a bounty on my head for saying "This is no K-On! for yer tards."

DITVB - I don't watch this for that confusing opening which made the first episode a quick few seconds for me. Skip this

DRRR!! - Please forgive me if I say "the only thing I had in mind after finishing the first few episodes: THIS IS COOL. IN IT GOES"

Ookami Kakushi - One of the things that annoy me: clingy girls of that kind. Snipers, you're now weapons free
I guess that's about all for now...
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
ShadowZeroHeart

Assassin wrote:
b0mb3r wrote:shadow you were in the military?! what is your 1337 skillz!
Hmm, I believe that shadow is actually in his country's National Service if I am not to be mistaken about the country he's in. He's in the military for that. Shadow correct me if I'm wrong 'kaythanks
Yes, you are absolutely right. But we still get to see the BAD sides of the army here... And my skills are... umm... Vehicle repair, clerkwork, and driving? Learnt a lot during my time in there, a good experience, fortunately.

@ben1234, well, getting glued to the table is rather new, but personally i like the idea that Grades arent everything a whole lot more.

@b0mb3r, well, Durarara's logic makes sense, but i hate him nonetheless. ^^ Despicable, logical, but i must say, hes got one bad hobby. So i hate him. ^^ As for Yuuji's plans, they always work!! Except for the last bit of miscalculations... I mean ALL his plans worked!!
Spoiler! :
He managed to lead F class all the way to challenge against A class. And as he planned, his gf didnt get full marks for the test, just that he forgot the fact that he cant get full marks. In the later volumes, they always succeeded in their plans eventually. Even Akihisa managed to pull a few stunts on his own, except for one minor mistake or two here and there.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

There are people that can be geniuses at tactics and be so bad at everything else that it's scary
ShadowZeroHeart

Which is the reason why I liked baka's story... Because they are indeed geniuses at some things, but so damn bad at others...

Yuji with his tactics,
Hideyoshi with his/her/its acting and voice changing,
The silent pervert with his spying, sneaking abilities,
Akihisa with his stupidity,
Minami and her direct attacks,
Himeji with her cooking...

Look at their wonderful abilities, I bet they would send you to the depths of hell despite the difference in grades~
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Which is the reason why I liked baka's story... Because they are indeed geniuses at some things, but so damn bad at others...

Yuji with his tactics,
Hideyoshi with his/her/its acting and voice changing,
The silent pervert with his spying, sneaking abilities,
Akihisa with his stupidity,
Minami and her direct attacks,
Himeji with her cooking...

Look at their wonderful abilities, I bet they would send you to the depths of hell despite the difference in grades~
You mean Yoshii is good at being stupid? :shock:
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
blewin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by blewin »

This season's animes........

Watching Sora no Woto - The part of that "thing" under the lake has totally won me over. Hope they reveal more mysteries of that world soon. As for K-on, I've never seen it so I can't compare that with this anime. Still, thumb-up for the arts style of this series.
b0mb3r wrote:Sora no Woto ep2:
Spoiler! :
walking tanks always rock. reminds me of that robot from ghost in the shell
Durara ep2:
Spoiler! :
wow i love the recap. hell i like Orihara Izaya for his logic, even if people say he is despicable
Baka Test ep2:
Spoiler! :
i love Yuuji's plan. never works and they're all baka. Kirishima Shouko reminds me of Nanaka from Cross Channel, especially how Shouko handle Yuuji at the end,
Durarara ep 2 and other general things:
Spoiler! :
Durarara is Amazing! Though I find watching it strange to have that style transferred from Old Western of Baccano! into modern Japan.. I guess I'll get used to it later. Didn't like episode 2 at first, but the character of Rio drew me in towards the end. The theme about "this world isn't as cruel as you think" is a fantastic conclusion to the episode... well, I didn't anticipate that phrase coming at all. Come to think about it, despite the mystery of the headless rider and doubtless more countless mysteries to come, this style of storytelling is the best (given the modern setting and how episode 2 already exposes the author's wish to explore societal issues) in exposing and exploring different issues of different professions, ages and more!

and what I like the best of this style is its capability of showing that ALL things are connected.
ShadowZeroHeart

Assassin wrote:
You mean Yoshii is good at being stupid? :shock:
Yes, in the novel, when Yuji introduced Yoshii to the principal as the representative of stupidity, the principal identified him instantly. When Minami's sister came to find him, her description was, "I am looking for a stupid big brother", which led her to F class, and when they pressed her for more details, her description was "The big brother is really really stupid", and the class led her to Yoshii(correctly). In vol 5, Yoshii's sister said that she love Yoshii, because "You cant just leave idiots alone", so she cant let Yoshii go. And Minami and Himeji agreed to the statement...

Does it prove that Yoshii is good at being stupid?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,

Return to “Animes”