Burnt Out on Anime

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Burnt Out on Anime

Post by Fushichou »

I find myself looking for an anime to watch; as usual I prefer current anime, not old ones.

However...

I've begun to notice a little trend. Look at nearly every anime on this season, and you will find the same cliched elements in all of them -- guns, lesbians, pool episodes, harems, enormous or completely flat breasts, and most of all, the terrible trend that is the voice acting. Some of these actors are becoming so noteworthy to me just by how they play their characters; it's always the same thing ("LOUISE LOUISE LOUISE" comes to mind -- let me be perfectly honest here, I find the lack of even the slightest attempt to pronounce names correctly somewhat annoying).

And so, these are pretty much the only anime that I have ever felt that I truly enjoyed:

SHnY
Clannad
Higurashi (season 1 only, after that it became a load of BS where every week was a miserable attempt to justify what was going on, each with a ridiculous outcome. Don't even get me started on the irrationality of the ending...)
Kara no Kyoukai

Surely many of us realize the ridiculous and boring trend of so-called "fanservice" in these CARTOONS, right? I mean, I'm far more interested in comedy or a story than I am in pixelated boobs, to be perfectly honest.

And so, I have found nothing to watch this season, and only watched some of Bakemonogatari last season.

/End Rant.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Burnt Out on Anime

Post by b0mb3r »

that is why i tried to seek different types of anime that uses different methods.

here what i like about some of this season:

Trapeze: different animation. basically psychologist helps solve his patient but i would try it out.
Aoi Bungaku: short series based on three famous japanese novel. the first novel arc is really well done so i would recommend it.
Kimi ni Todoke: i know is shoujo and i rarely watch shoujo (cardcaptor is the only one i watched) but its simplicity the way the character and plot flow is just seem relaxing in some sense. also the character are adorable with their honesty. also all the background are watercolor. digitally or not they are f*cking awesome.
Cross Game: okay animation is not great but the character are strong and the dry humor are funny.

here the cliche anime that fits here:

Railgun: girls, one lesbian, tsudere, superpower, moe, etc. yes it fits alot of category but mikoto just really appeals to me as a character some reason. hell she even got the 7th spot as the top ten light novel character.
Kampfer: genderbender, harem, childhood friend, one side love, cool president, tsudere, etc. is all crap and i honestly do not know why i watch it. is just at the end of each episode it sort of force me to find out what is happening to this hot genderbender main girl (guy)
Nyan Koi: not sure what i can say about this. is average. god i felt there was so much potentail of actually understanding cats and their society but is basically a background for the main guy to get the chicks. i like the main and his character design and personality. though i think he fits the thick skull main.
Sora No Otoshimono: wow it has golden comedy and the main is a smart pervert. also the quality is top-notch so i have no complaints.

baka baka baka
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Yeah I know what you mean.

But since I took a long pause between anime phases I am not jet this burned out. ;) (Also I like to see as much as I can in on go ;))

I mean every series with a school story has nearly the same activites at a time in the series. (So half of the plot is already known...)

Also I think this so called fan service is sad and could be skipped (If I really want to see this I would especially see such series) I mean why create those fillers if it end as a mostly white episode because it had to be censored for the lightly offended viewers? (If it werent like that one could take that as a 2D bonus ;) But whited out does it take away of the atmosphere of a consistent 2D universe (I mean they are 2D! and sometimes is in (normal) life action movies and series more skin to see than there.)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Hnn, well, here's what I'm watching this season:

Sora no Otoshimono: Incredibly well-animated, interesting story, and Sugata is one of the most hilarious characters I've ever seen... yes, it's extremely fanservicey but the episodes that are fanservicey just go so far over the top in their fanserviceness that it just goes all the way back to awesome.

Seitokai no Ichizon: A harem anime that refuses to be a harem anime... it's sort of the evolutionary Lucky Star, and it's surprisingly clever at times. Possibly Studio DEEN's best effort in years.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni, carried over from last season: Um. The anime is pretty good, but... actually, I'd suggest you just cut out the middleman and play the game. Why not start on an epic VN if you're bored of anime?
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Assassin »

... I tend to disregard every single cliche and watch it whether I like it or not and evaluate later. Most important things I require before watching:

1. There's at least one main dude in a load of maidens. This became the reason I don't like shows with an all-female main cast (such as... well, you know that 'one particular popular anime featuring girls and guitars and bands.' )
2. A premise that is enough to make me suck into it
3. Character design. Yes, I am that biased. If the designs doesn't favor me much, it'll be a reason for me to stop watching or just collect but not watch.

Doesn't help save hard disk space but I feel like I gain a lot of... uh, knowledge. Besides, that's what I read spoilers, read mangas, novels (whenever I can), and watch anime for.
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Had recently finished a much neglected series this year called Pandora Hearts. Think of it as a very dark and twisted Alice in Wonderland and you get that.

Story's amazingly good, though Xebec's lazy animation kind of ruined it, and I thought it was the blurriness quality of the fansub which I got at first. Still, that wasn't enough to turn me away from the gripping story, interesting characters and excellent music by Kajiura Yuki (.hack, Tsubasa Chronicle)
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

When you say "a very dark and twisted Alice in Wonderland," are you referring to the Disney movie?
Muffinman
Astral Realm

Post by Muffinman »

I was about to say that.. because Alice and Wonderland is ALREADY dark and twisted
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

what about the looking glass war? Mad Hatter for the WIN!

baka baka baka
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

OK, perhaps I was not elaborate, since I failed to mention that Lewis Carol's story was already twisted to begin with.

When I meant twisted, I meant twisted in a Clamp-like way. Does that make slightly more sense to you guys?
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Does that make slightly more sense to you guys?
NOPE! unless we are talking like tsubasa level crazy maybe.

baka baka baka
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

b0mb3r wrote:
Kinny Riddle wrote:Does that make slightly more sense to you guys?
NOPE! unless we are talking like tsubasa level crazy maybe.
Yeah, something like that, though Tsubasa was more like Clamp on crack, PH is twisted but still manages to make sense. :lol:

It's hard to explain in words. See for yourself.
http://www.onemanga.com/Pandora_Hearts/
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

I think it's mostly just this season. I'm only watching like 5 shows, and for me, that's nothing.

Railgun's not bad, though a little over the top, even for a J.C.Staff show. Darker than black 2 is quality, after you get past the first few episodes. Although it's a bit simple, Cross Game really is quite good(though it's from last season). Umineko is epic. And lastly, Seitokai no Ichizon is absolutely hilarious.

I'll have to try pandora hearts.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

so which anime in the fall season you guys considered to be burned out? I say:

Samurai Girls

baka baka baka
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Is it me, or is anime reaching a creative bottleneck?

Its starting to become more and more like American Pop in the Music Industry.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.

Return to “Animes”