Anime Winter 2012

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

What is/are the best anime(s) of the season? (Max: 2)

Another
6%
Amagami SS+
2%
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys
11%
Gundam SEED Remastered
No votes
High School DxD
20%
InuxBoku
9%
Mouretsu Pirates
11%
Nisemonogatari
28%
Papa no Iukoto o Kikinasai!
6%
Zero no Tsukaima F
7%

Total votes: 100

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Anime Winter 2012

Post by ainsoph9 »

shichinanatsu wrote:i think its more of how i never bothered going back to streaming. easiest reason that comes to mind is how browser-based video players can be a bit taxing on my old Pentium 4.. even then, once i manage to pull off a real decent build, i'd probably switch to 10bit mkv releases, though not for quite a while, what with rent and all.. :cry:

the burdens of a bachelor.. you're free to play eroge at will without worrying about someone else seeing the monitor, but you don't get your home-cooked meals..
Some streams like Crunchyroll offer 1080p now, you know.

You can learn how to cook. It is not that difficult. This is coming from another bachelor.
ben1234 wrote:My internet's too slow for streaming long videos without having it buffer regularly. I could just let it sit for an hour so it can load but I could download a fansub in half the time it takes to do that :roll:
If you can download a fansub in half of an hour, I do not understand why you cannot stream. :? If you do not mind me asking, how fast is your internet connection?
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

ainsoph9 wrote:Some streams like Crunchyroll offer 1080p now, you know.
Which isn't free. Hell, not even the 480p is free

My internet is weird in that it hates streaming but loves downloading. It could be my computer too but either way, I like my anime in 720p and on my HD
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I figure that the $11.95/mo. is worth it. However, I am considering downgrading to the $6.95/mo. package because I do not watch drama.

Weird.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

@ainsoph: i'm pretty much in the same predicament as ben1234.. let's see, for an unli 1mbps at around US$25 (local equiv), for some reason my build still favors torrents/DDLs over streaming, possibly hard/soft limitations then..

and yeah i can cook enough for a kitchen to feel used once or twice a week, but there's still this magic word.. 愛妻弁当
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Well, let's put it this way. The internet is some tubes. When you stream, you access tubes with a slower rate than when you DDL or Torrent. Torrents in the end are faster, as the tubes line up in your favor, and you can draw from multiple lines that funnel into your computer. DDL servers are built specifically for downloading, so they have bigger tubes. Streaming sites generally put caps on their draws from the computer streaming it. (Ever notice your buffer stop halfway or just get crazy slow when you don't start watching it?) That's my observation on the issue.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ainsoph9 wrote:I figure that the $11.95/mo. is worth it. However, I am considering downgrading to the $6.95/mo. package because I do not watch drama.

Weird.
In my case, I'd take the fansubs. Doesn't cost anything, and still worth it. I mean, I have no problem watching anime shows by Commie rather than Crunchy. Besides, 11.95$ is the price of a light novel.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Commie takes Crunchy subs.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Commie takes Crunchy subs.
Then it's another reason why paying for it isn't worth it...
Kira0802

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Which show? They don't for Nise as far as I can remember.
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

larethian wrote:
Which show? They don't for Nise as far as I can remember.
Almost everything not Symphogear IIRC

Nisemono is a Crunchy mod...

Not that it matters anyway, the translation is still pretty solid.

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Kira0802 wrote:
Then it's another reason why paying for it isn't worth it...
kira, LOGIC = FAIL.

Also, you can pay for about half of that price per month for just the anime streams without the drama streams. If you cannot afford $6.95/mo. for anime because you honestly do not have money, fine. If you are just being cheap, I will let your own consciousness say what it will, but seriously...I can understand if you do not like Crunchyroll, but some of that money does go to feeding the original creators, even if it is a very small amount.

Below are a series of three articles from ANN about the anime economy that recently came out. Whether or not you like ANN or not, the picture they paint here is pretty accurate to my knowledge.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

If you cannot afford $6.95/mo. for anime because you honestly do not have money, fine.
I cannot pay.
I can understand if you do not like Crunchyroll, but some of that money does go to feeding the original creators, even if it is a very small amount.
And the greatest part goes back to Crunchy. That's like saying that you support buying a lot of products overseas to keep the ships moving, even if it's a little bit.
Kira0802

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Actually, if you read the articles, Crunchy gets very little money. Even if they get a lot of money, most of it goes back to pay for the licensing rights in case the series bombs. The problem right now is the overhead that needs to disappear to increase profits. That is happening, but it is happening too slowly for many to be comfortable or happy. Secondly, pirating anime that is legally available when one has access really helps no one in the long run. My concern is that the new wave of piracy, especially in the streaming arena, will only make the process of bring anime overseas more difficult.

Also, by supporting more anime legally, it is possible that we could see a revival of the Japanese animation job market. Currently, many are afraid and are discouraged from pursuing a career in the anime and manga market because the animators and manga-ka practically live on a starvation diet not including bills. Many of them live at home with their parents or in small apartments the size of a closet. While the Japanese government is trying to help somewhat, it can only do so much. Foreigners can help this problem go away somewhat by throwing their money at the problem. (For once, this can actually work. :roll: )
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

i have a jap-residing relative/friend who i pay handsomely for assistance in getting a couple anime DVDs and VNs every time he visits family here.. does that help?? 8)

probably doesn't help me though, since saving up for those yearly payments puts a dent on further schooling plans.. :cry:
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

At least you are paying.

Return to “Animes”