Lucky Star

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Re: Lucky Star

Post by AuraTwilight »

Who cares? It's gonna be god awful.
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

For real.

Why does it even matter...Just watch it online and download the fansubbed torrents.

Japanese=Original > English=Dubbed and fake sounding.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Fushichou wrote:For real.

Why does it even matter...Just watch it online and download the fansubbed torrents.

Japanese=Original > English=Dubbed and fake sounding.
Quoted for Truth.

However, a.f.k.'s subs are gone now that it's licensed, so he'll have to do with Guerrand's.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Pssh, if you're lazy. Just ask someone who downloaded the a.f.k. fansubs and didn't delete them.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ben1234 »

There's always boxtorrents. :roll:
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

AuraTwilight wrote:Pssh, if you're lazy. Just ask someone who downloaded the a.f.k. fansubs and didn't delete them.
Actually, I do have them. As well as every piece of music Lucky Star has churned out ever.

Could say I'm a fan...
Hiiragi Kagami
Astral Realm

Post by Hiiragi Kagami »

When you buy the series, you have something to show for it. If you're actually a fan of it, anyway. And the DVDs come with the original Jap track and English subs (albeit not as good as fansubs, I must admit) as well.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Hiiragi Kagami1 wrote:When you buy the series, you have something to show for it. If you're actually a fan of it, anyway. And the DVDs come with the original Jap track and English subs (albeit not as good as fansubs, I must admit) as well.
If Bandai's doing the subs again, I won't buy it.

I'll consider it if they aren't, but they are honestly the worst professional subbers I've ever seen.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Well, I guess that you are not buying it then. It is licensed by Bandai again. This only makes sense, given that SHnY and Lucky Star were made by the same people.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Sorry for the month apart double post, but here is the moment of truth for the dubs for Lucky Star.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/media-283462 ... ailer.html

And yeah, if you actually expected the voices to be good for this, can I ask how strong that hash pipe was?
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Miyuki and Konata sound okay atleast, though Konata kind've lost all the moe power in her voice, it's worth the sacrifice to keep the same voice actor and make atleast SOME of the jokes consistent.
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

It is full of meh-ness...

Kill it with fire.
Hiiragi Kagami
Astral Realm

Post by Hiiragi Kagami »

Kagami's voice is just... OMGWTFLOLZZZ horrible. The actor obviously doesn't know Kagami Hiiragi's character.
The only good thing I can say about Konata's voice is that it's the same voice actor that did Haruhi (but who hasn't said that?). And yes, Wendee Lee completely sucked all of the moeness out of Konata. Didn't get a good hearing of Tsukasa, but Miyuki's alright. Strassman tried way too hard to make it sound cute, but hey, the actors aren't expecting to get Annie Awards.
I just hope Akira's voice actor does a job good enough to make up for the main cast. She's the most lively character left...
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

That is exactly the problem with English voice actors. The more lively the voice is or the part is the more it sounds out of whack. I do not think that you could ever replace a good old Japanese threat over any other threat. I mean, having someone scream at you in Japanese just has a certain aesthetic. Especially since Akira is so psycho-loli/yankee, you just cannot really replace that. I recently was able to get someone to agree on this matter who usually prefers dubs. Said person found out that you cannot replace the original Japanese very well without losing some of the meaning and cultural context. This is something that Lucky Star is rife with.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

This is why they should never license anime like this.

Oh well, at least SZS is still safe.

Return to “Animes”