Umineko vs Remote Island Syndrome

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Ambi Valent
Astral Realm

Umineko vs Remote Island Syndrome

Post by Ambi Valent »

How exactly are "Remote Island Syndrome" from Haruhi v3 and "Umineko no Naku Koro Ni" connected? The Haruhi story was published earlier, but the elaborate setup of "Umineko" might suggest it's been in the making for years. Several themes were present in both: A western-obsessed family head, a younger brother in need of money, a butler and a maid, later revealed to probably have hidden powers, a small island cut off from the world by a typhoon, and finally a closed-room murder mystery, with clues pointing in different directions, challenged with Phoenix Wright motives... and the main difference is that "Remote Island Syndrome" has a happy ending, while "Umineko" contains real murders and other family tragedies.

So, what is the connection? Are Ryukishi07 and Nagaru Tanigawa friends, relatives or even the same person?
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Umineko vs Remote Island Syndrome

Post by Beware the talking cat »

I'd say its a crazy random happenstance. Too dissimilar, except for the--as haruhi puts it--closed circle.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Cruor
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cruor »

A lot of elements of Umineko are based off the Agatha Christie novel "And Then There Were None". And closed circles are a clique often used in detective mysteries to make the story more interesting and to make the characters 'on there own'.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

I would say blatantly is an conspiracy but my friend in that class would tell me who does a conspiracy has against? I say the consumers with their repetitive subject! then again umineko and haruhi are both very original-told stories so I am looking at you anime industry/ rehashed ideas!)

baka baka baka
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

Inbou da!

Return to “Animes”