In preparation for the end of finals...

This forum is for Anime related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: In preparation for the end of finals...

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I don't know how good Afro Samurai is, but it looked interesting. I've got it downloaded and I plan on watching it when I get back to AZ with some of my friends. Might be good.

Guyver, the newer one, was watchable. My ex and I had just broken up at the time so it was more of something to distract me and I'd probably enjoy it a lot more now.

Gundam 00...
Spoiler! :
started off good, and got better. Just in the recent episode though things have gotten a little silly. One of the Gundams can de-materialize now? I hope they just explain that it is just moving extremely fast or something later on.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

My friend has a copy of Afro Samurai DVD, I might borrow his copy.

In any case, I finished Kurenai. I thought it was pretty good, but it's a bit too short for my tastes. It's about a... 17-something year old guy who becomes the bodyguard of a 7-year old daughter of the rulers of the world... somewhat. It's strange because the story and plot techniques aren't usually seen in anime or manga. An example would be scenes with multiple cohesive conversations going on at the same time.

I like it. It's not particularly predictable though I somewhat detest the main character (bloody idiot is surrounded by beautiful women all so obviously trying to get in his pants and he doesn't do jack crap). I give it an above average grade though I really wish it were longer.

edit: Oh, the OP and ED suck balls.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Umiman wrote:My friend has a copy of Afro Samurai DVD, I might borrow his copy.

In any case, I finished Kurenai. I thought it was pretty good, but it's a bit too short for my tastes. It's about a... 17-something year old guy who becomes the bodyguard of a 7-year old daughter of the rulers of the world... somewhat. It's strange because the story and plot techniques aren't usually seen in anime or manga. An example would be scenes with multiple cohesive conversations going on at the same time.

I like it. It's not particularly predictable though I somewhat detest the main character (bloody idiot is surrounded by beautiful women all so obviously trying to get in his pants and he doesn't do jack crap). I give it an above average grade though I really wish it were longer.

edit: Oh, the OP and ED suck balls.
I'll check Kurenai out next then. Just got back from NYC and snagged some good loot while there.

Ghost Hunt
Wolfs Reign
Minami-ke
Appleseed EX Machina
Haruhi Disc 4

All of that for $55. 8) A few are bootleg, but still nice quality. Good score.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Why would you pay for bootleg copies? I gotta pick up Appleseed sometime though.

Anyway, now I finished Allison to Lillia. It's a.... C+ anime, if I were to grade it. When I watch the show, it constantly reminds me of Harvest Moon. Anyway, it's about girl guy love adventure blah blah... I didn't really like it. Especially the stupid ending and the very inconsistent logic that even a 5-year old could see through.

Have you ever noticed how most Japanese manga and anime don't know that shotguns don't fire bullets? It's like they portray shotguns as just very big pistols. Yeah, this anime is full of nonsense like that. It's mildly charming though. Mildly.

Next up is Yakushiji Ryoko and Seirei no Moriboto. One is a detective story along and the other is some award winning fantasy series.

Hehe, it feels nice to be able to catch up on anime.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Umiman wrote:Why would you pay for bootleg copies? I gotta pick up Appleseed sometime though.

Anyway, now I finished Allison to Lillia. It's a.... C+ anime, if I were to grade it. When I watch the show, it constantly reminds me of Harvest Moon. Anyway, it's about girl guy love adventure blah blah... I didn't really like it. Especially the stupid ending and the very inconsistent logic that even a 5-year old could see through.

Have you ever noticed how most Japanese manga and anime don't know that shotguns don't fire bullets? It's like they portray shotguns as just very big pistols. Yeah, this anime is full of nonsense like that. It's mildly charming though. Mildly.

Next up is Yakushiji Ryoko and Seirei no Moriboto. One is a detective story along and the other is some award winning fantasy series.

Hehe, it feels nice to be able to catch up on anime.
Well they were $5~10 for the full thing, plus they come in the actual case and have the CD art on. I'm just assuming that they were cheap because they were bootleg, but it is hard to tell honestly.

I got a few episodes in to Seirei no Moribito and it was good. Just at the time Code Geass had pulled me away from it and I never got the chance to complete it. My roommate has been wanting to watch it so I think I'll finish it up when I get back home.

Starting on Kurenai tonight.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Yakushiji Ryoko is a good anime. I give it a B+ grade. It's a bit short as well, but it has a nice flow and concludes well. If I were to describe it in a sentence, it'll be like Haruhi and Kyon when they are 30 years old. Something like that.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Seirei no Moriboto is a damn good show. A grade. The ending is perfect as well. Fight scenes are excellent, pacing is excellent, the plot is unpredicatble.

The best part is that throughout the entire series, there were no real "bad guys". Everyone was good. Or, as good as they try to be. No one in the show is a villian. Everyone is a hero. It's quite unique.

Edit: I don't think I'm giving it enough praise. This is one anime you should watch, regardless of what else you're watching. There are no cliches in this show. NONE. The prince is an amazing, truly praiseworthy kid with some serious sense of logic who isn't spoiled but isn't some superhero god either. The advisors are all great, intelligent men who are loyal beyond question. It's incredible how it meshes. A beautiful story. I tried to predict it, but every single time I tried, it'll throw me a curveball.

The animation and combat is truly, wonderfully well scripted and animated. It's beyond words to describe the amount of effort that has been put into how incredible they made the combat.

The music will make you cry. Every single time the harvest song played, I would tear up. Not surprising, considering it was composed by Kenji Kawai, the guy behind Ghost in the Shell. I think a lot of the VA's played in GiTS as well.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

God man, I haven't even started on the second episode of Kurenai yet. :?

Saw an AMV for a movie called Sword of the Stranger. Good looking animation. Going to check it out asap!
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Umiman wrote:Seirei no Moriboto is a damn good show. A grade. The ending is perfect as well. Fight scenes are excellent, pacing is excellent, the plot is unpredicatble.

The best part is that throughout the entire series, there were no real "bad guys". Everyone was good. Or, as good as they try to be. No one in the show is a villian. Everyone is a hero. It's quite unique.

Edit: I don't think I'm giving it enough praise. This is one anime you should watch, regardless of what else you're watching. There are no cliches in this show. NONE. The prince is an amazing, truly praiseworthy kid with some serious sense of logic who isn't spoiled but isn't some superhero god either. The advisors are all great, intelligent men who are loyal beyond question. It's incredible how it meshes. A beautiful story. I tried to predict it, but every single time I tried, it'll throw me a curveball.

The animation and combat is truly, wonderfully well scripted and animated. It's beyond words to describe the amount of effort that has been put into how incredible they made the combat.

The music will make you cry. Every single time the harvest song played, I would tear up. Not surprising, considering it was composed by Kenji Kawai, the guy behind Ghost in the Shell. I think a lot of the VA's played in GiTS as well.

This is the most positive thing I've ever heard on the Internet. I need to check out this show.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Yup. It's great. It starts out a bit slow first, just like Lord of the Rings.

TGM: Weeeelll.... when I want to do something, I kinda become obsessed... I'm watching some cyberpunk show now while reading Biomeat.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

I'm drunk already. It's only 16:00. My mom took me out to lunch, I got a Cap'n and Coke, the bartender kept bringing them, now I'm hammered. Jeebus what a way to start the night! :lol:
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

I'm spending the new year helping someone move... hehe, then we're making soba.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Umiman wrote:I'm spending the new year helping someone move... hehe, then we're making soba.
lol from that notion a girl?

anyway i think i just gonna hang with the folks and watch the usual ball drop in manhattan on our tv

baka baka baka
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Even though I said I was helping someone move, I ended up partying till 3am...

Going to crash now... Happy new year everyone.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

RD Sennou Chousashitsu is some futurepunk, GiTS-style show about diving and unified consciousness. I say GiTS-style because it was made by the same production studio, I.G.

My thoughts are simple: this anime seems to be aiming at some sort of record for things you don't really want to see. For example, naked old men swimming... girls with fat legs in miniskirts...

And the whole concept is so silly. Why would anyone make it so that the only way to traverse "unified human consciousness" is by diving? How do four wind power generators power an entire island? Why NAKED OLD MEN!?!!!

That said, if you have a stronger constitution than me concerning naked old men and swimming, you might find something interesting in this show.

Bio-meat is a "horror shounen" manga. It's typical shounen and will only impress a thirteen-year-old.

EDIT: Also just finished Spice and Wolf, both the translated novels and the anime. I like it. It's nice and fresh. However, I noticed quite a few flaws in the economics they use, but hey... it's just an anime. Not some finance textbook. There's also things to take into account like maybe the subbers didn't know what the principles they were translating really were or maybe the world these guys live in (medieval times with leather jackets and t-shirts?) have strange financial workings. Looking forward to the second season.

Wow, how much anime did I watch?

Return to “Animes”