File-Mirroring

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

NightFireLuna
Astral Realm

File-Mirroring

Post by NightFireLuna »

Hello everyone~

I'm new on the forum, but i've been enjoying the baka-tsuki translations for a year or so.

I recently noticed that mediafire deleted some files from (at least) the Hidan no Aria PDFs.
Since i had the PDFs on my dropbox, i made a simple HTML page (webpage) that linked to the dropbox-hosted PDFs, and i thought i might be a good idea to do the same for more projects.
Here's the result: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/133 ... index.html

I posted this idea on the FB page and was told to post it on the forum to see if it was a good idea.

Note that i am aware of dropboxes public file transfer cap that's either 20 or 25 GB/day...
Also, i might be able to get a NAS HDD (1TB) setup as public-accessable download server (or an old laptop with linux), so that'll be an option too.

Just one other suggestion for the file-sharing site: Might be useful to switch to filecloud.io, since they don't have the file-removal for copyrights that mediafire had, they've got faster download speeds, and i never had any download-crashes as i have with mediafire...

I hope my ideas and stuffs might be useful, but i'd like to have more input from others too ^^
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: File-Mirroring

Post by Misogi »

Hi,

Indeed, it would be better if we can host our PDF and ePub files on a server reserved for BT's use. That way, we have less chances of getting dead links.

That's what the French section of BT is doing, BTW (thanks to Lery).

However, for the English side, the admins' opinion regarding this could be required.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
NightFireLuna
Astral Realm

Re: File-Mirroring

Post by NightFireLuna »

I'd be happy to support you all by setting up a download-mirror trough my dropbox or an old PC as server (Linux and HTML download or an FTP Server).

Also, switching to filecloud as host is another good option i think since it's not that annoying way with copyrights and dead links like mediafire...

But my dropbox is having free space if needed... I'm not using it anyway, so why not... (I've got over 5 GB with 'round 1-2 GB free, so that's a start...)

Return to “Commune”