Kindle

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Setherzam
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Kindle

Post by Setherzam »

I got my kindle in the mail today, it's pretty spiffy. Did some research beforehand and already got a few of my favorite LN and Manga in there. The thing is a lot lighter then I thought it'd be, I think it's actually lighter then a 1G iPhone or at least about the same size. Mine doesn't have 3G connection though so that might help with the weight.

So far it's a bit hard to read LN properly unless if I turn it sideways due to the way it handles PDFs, but manga looks gorgeous on it as long as it was mostly in black and white. For color pages it varies depending on the original pages, some turn out looking great in black and white but monochrome pages in red (franken fran) are rendered nearly impossible to read.

If you're going to use the Kindle to read manga though I would highly suggest using a program called Mangle, it was designed specifically to optimize Manga pages for kindle reading.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Kindle

Post by b0mb3r »

I am not sure I am a huge fan of the thing. Yeah is a convenient small tech that contains many words. In the long run I would prefer books. The smell and feel of the texture makes its appeal. Also it would be great to read recyclable books. I am not sure how well it would fare in the far future when there will be a huge waste dump of kindle, along with its iPad brethren.

baka baka baka
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

Yeah, but at the other end of the scale you have my basement. I have books stacked up like you wouldn't believe, and that's after I gave away several hundred pounds worth to the public library some years ago. Mind you, I don't own a Kindle at this point, but I do have a HP iPAQ PDA, and it has some 40 books on it . . . and that's mighty handy when you're stuck waiting somewhere with nothing to do and no PC handy.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

I've been so split on whether or not to get one.
Maybe I will now.
Does it read jpg, png, and pdf?
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Post by Rectifier »

I just use mah laptop's hard drive or the internet.
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

Beware the talking cat wrote:I've been so split on whether or not to get one.
Maybe I will now.
Does it read jpg, png, and pdf?
reads pdf jpg and png, for pdfs though it automatically displays it one page per screen so it might be hard to read unless you zoom in or turn the kindle sideways. For pictures, keep in mind that the Kindle only has four shades of grey at its disposal. But like I said earlier, for manga if you mangle it should be fine.

I'm happy with my kindle right now, not because I'm reading amazon kindle books but because I can read Haruhi Suzumiya and Toradora on there :lol: I'll probably keep it as a manga reader since I don't like reading manga on my laptop and I can't read it on the big desktop anymore due to where it's located.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Alright, I took the plunge. I got the 3G version(free mediocre web browsing anywhere? Can has?), since I know I'd be more upset if I didn't get it and wished I had then if I got it and wished I hadn't.

Now just to wait for it to come in the mail.
Administrator
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I thought they charged for internet? I know they charge for email when you try to send attachments
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

And that's the only thing they charge for you. According to every source I checked, you get 100% free 3G internet when using the 3G's web browser.

OF course it's with a somewhat mediocre black and white browser, but it seemed like it would probably pay for itself--most phones charge that much (the 50 difference in price between wireless and 3G) every two months for internet.
Administrator
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

dammnit, Should have gotten the 3G version then.

Return to “Commune”