All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! in new york at least

ha ha like my science teacher said "no more of that idiotic saying of two thousands" Now is twenty ten!

baka baka baka
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Re: 2010

Post by Rectifier »

Anybody else feel like a man from the future yet?
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Spoiler! :
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Spoiler tags because you're a douche. - TGM
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Beware the talking cat wrote:Spoiler tags because you're a douche. - TGM
lmfao TGM

baka baka baka
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Happy Twenty-Ten folks.

The twenty-noughties are now past, now we enter the twenty-tens.

Strange that decades begins on years that ends with '0, while technically speaking, centuries and millennia begins on years that ends with '1, since there was no Year 0 on the Gregorian Calendar.

It can also be argued that since the 21st century technically began on 2001, the twenty-noughties should be from 2001-2010, and the twenty-tens won't begin until 2011.

Useless historical trivia that I got carried away typing
Spoiler! :
Back in medieval Europe prior to 1000AD, where the only people using the progenitor of today's Gregorian Calendar live, they were probably reading their years like this:

525: Five Hundred and Twenty-fifth (year of our Lord/ Anno Domini) (First year where they use "birth of Jesus" to count their years, before that they used Foundation of Rome)

656: Six Hundred and Fifty-six(th year of our Lord)
796: Seven Hundred and Ninety-six(th year of our Lord)
999: Nine Hundred and Ninety-nin(th year of our Lord)

And after 1000:
1000: One thousand(th year of our Lord)

So even in 1010, people were reading it as One thousand and tenth year of our Lord.

I think it was only around after 1500 that people began splitting the numbers into two segments to make it faster to pronounce, though you'll still see in those 19th century and before stone tablets in historical buildings as well as documents with the years still read out in full, like in the Declaration of Independence:

"In the Year of our Lord, One Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy-Six"

Even in some legal documents today, when written in full, the year is completely read in full, so years like 1995 became "One Thousand Nine Hundred and Ninety Five".

Though as the years between 2000-2009, it was more convenient to pronounce "Two Thousand" to "Two Thousand and Nine", the discrepancies in these legal documents became less pronounced.

Logically, 2000-2009 should be pronounced "Twenty-Hundred" to "Twenty-oh-Nine", but humans are lazy.

Interestingly, in Japanese, the years are all read out in full. So back in the 20th century, years like 1997 became "Sen Kyuu-hyaku Kyuujuu-kyuu nen". Which was a mouthful, this is why they kept Emperor's era names. So instead of using "Sen Kyuu-hyaku Kyuujuu-kyuu nen", they can simply use "Heisei Kyuu nen" or "9th year of the Heisei Era" (abbrevaited as Heisei 9).

As of today, 2010 is Heisei 22. Though pronouncing "Ni-sen Juu nen" is less mouthful than the 20th century years at the moment, I think the Japanese will continue to keep their era names for they know the numbers will eventually become cumbersome to pronounce. I think that's the true reason why they keep their Emperors, despite them being constitutionally useless. 8)

For Chinese, no such problem exist, as the years are simply read digit by digit, so 2010 is "Two-Oh-One-Oh".
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Two months 'til Olympics and all hell comes loose in the form of heavy traffic and frequent ID checks

/sigh
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

ben1234 wrote:Two months 'til Olympics and all hell comes loose in the form of heavy traffic and frequent ID checks

/sigh
<3

So is it 'twenty-ten' or 'two-thousand-and-ten'?
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

It's "The year that Vancouver is gonna be targeted by most, if not all, hostile organizations in the world and how half the city wishes they had the money to go to somewhere safe and warm"

Also known as 'two-zero-one-zero'
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

um why is Vancouver targeted?

baka baka baka
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Olympics = tons of important people + thousands of civilians + possible terrorists hiding amongst the civilians = easy target for terrorists
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

wow totally forgotten about that. i love Vancouver, is such a nice city. ( and the usual target for hollywood usage)

baka baka baka
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

We are way to lenient with terrorists. We should be torturing them when we capture them, etc.
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

Fushichou wrote:We are way to lenient with terrorists. We should be torturing them when we capture them, etc.
I'm afraid only torturing them will only reinforce their beliefs that non-Muslims should be destroyed ...
まず隗より始めよ。
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Fushichou wrote:We are way to lenient with terrorists. We should be torturing them when we capture them, etc.
well is not like all the terrorist the government captures are real ones. some could be fabircated by the gov't themselves. you sound like my mom. every prisoner need to be guillotine my mom said. me? just the pedophiles in their crotch area.

baka baka baka
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

A war on an enemy that can be bred in the dark will never be won if we continue to fight it with humanitarian sentiment. War is war, and trying to polish it up is a recipe for failure.

Return to “Commune”