shou-setsu.blogspot.com Check It!

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

shou-setsu.blogspot.com Check It!

Post by Krikit »

Okay, so I've started to do something else which will suck my time away from my Puipui! Translations, which I've been doing, little by little, just haven't updated the wiki or anything...HAHA. (wait a little bit longer >.O)

Anyway, I've made a blog, as you can see it's in the title of this thread,

http://shou-setsu.blogspot.com/

I got the idea to do this for a couple of reasons. ① http://lightnovel.org/ hasn't seen updates in a while, and even so, I don't really find the layout of the site the best or most attractive...O_o sorry Matt and guys :). I think putting in tags with organization for labels, (ie Dengeki Bunko, MF Bunko J, stuff like that) would be helpful. Anyway, I've got a bit of that in the blog. ② I was reading through some Japanese sites on light novels, and really started to like the feel. Fav. ones now are http://alles.seesaa.net/ and http://lightnovels.blog51.fc2.com/. Also, ③ You ever get tired of all that gibberish on the wikipedia page that you have to skim over or something, if all your doing is looking for a good book, and want a review, then on to the next book? Well, at the blog, all you get is a good image, 200w x 286h, and a light synopsis. If the times call, I can add author, illustrators, publishing dates, stuff like that, but it's alot of research O_o.

Anyway, I've just started, so you'll notice there is just 1 light novel with a synopsis translated by yours truly, while the rest of the novels have an english translation, (tons of B-T novels so I could test image sizes, text sizes, labels, etc etc) and alot from the wikipedia choices. However, I want this blog to focus more on those novels that don't have wikipedia pages, etc etc. I don't want to re-iterate content, like here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Light_novels But at the same time, few of us click on all those links right? Now if there was a good sized image and a small synopsis by each of those links, then it would be much easier to see if it's something you are interested in. That's where I come in :).

Anyway...'nuff said I guess. Just check out the blog, tell me what you think, and remember I will be adding more of the books and light novels that don't have a B-T page, VIZ, etc page, Wikipedia page, etc etc.

Last edited by Krikit on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Square Mage

Re: shou-setsu.blogspot.com Check It!

Post by Dan »

Good luck with that. I had a blog about physics and nuclear engineering. It didn't get too far and no one viewed it but me. lol
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

I see some nice places for me to stalk upon. *glinty eyes*

Thanks dude! :D
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I am SO calling the police to report Assassin for stalking. :P
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

ainsoph9 wrote:I am SO calling the police to report Assassin for stalking. :P
If you can even prove what I'm doing is wrong, that is. :mrgreen:

I had loads of websites I keep track of updates that I can't even remember some of their addresses anymore or how the webpages looked like :roll:
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

lol, well, worst case scenario is just me having a blog page where I keep track of english translation synopsis's for novels as I find them. Then, in the future I can browse quickly through the english snippits, to refresh whether I want to try and read it or not. Easier than browsing though Japanese kanji atm :)

as for stalking...

this is all he means.
Spoiler! :
He will simply remain put, swaying in the wind...like "stalk" of wheat, as he continues "stalking"Image
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Looks pretty good; I may even have to bookmark it, depending on how often it gets updates.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

lol...we'll have to see :) Updates huh...it's true in the beginning it will go fast O_o but after that...anyway, I'm hoping to get to a point where when new releases come out, update them, I don't know if I'd be able to do old novels because there's so many O_o

But just updated another novel, and it kinda interests me O_o

9's Contract is what it's called. Mystery I guess. visit the page if you want the synopsis :) yay for my blogspot page counter gadget, lol. 555! (for the record, that's a much faster way of saying "gogogo!" in english. why? Whats the japanese word for "five?" if you know that, you'll know why I'm using this. :))

555!
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

To be honest, the links Krikit posted on his opening post for the thread helped me hunt for information on novels like, more than 20 times better.

Although trying to roughly understand what the reviews say, is another matter...

and I just got back from Kinokuniya a while ago, now lurking for information for another novel I found while browsing the Japanese bookshelves. :roll:
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

I thought the links were pretty useful as well :). And if you're interested, check this one out:

http://ponytail.jpn.org/lightnovel/

It's a database of labels and their respective novels. There aren't images and reviews until you click on a novels title, so you don't know what it is until then, but it's still pretty useful.

Edit: Asssan, when you say kinokuniya, are you in Japan? or do you go to one somewhere outside japan? NY city, australia, etc?
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

Krikit wrote:I thought the links were pretty useful as well :). And if you're interested, check this one out:

http://ponytail.jpn.org/lightnovel/

It's a database of labels and their respective novels. There aren't images and reviews until you click on a novels title, so you don't know what it is until then, but it's still pretty useful.

Edit: Asssan, when you say kinokuniya, are you in Japan? or do you go to one somewhere outside japan? NY city, australia, etc?
Thanks. That link will prove useful since I usually check light novels that I have seen so titles are enough for me to search for anything =D

I'm in Malaysia and currently the only Kinokuniya available here in my country is in the capital and I just happen to be in the capital right now because I'm studying in a college there.

EDIT: Just wondering, doesn't the website you gave in the link not have a search function? Just to make things easier for me :P
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

I see I see. As for the website and a search function, I'm assuming you would use the japanese titles for the search? If so, then here is your best bet so far :)

http://ponytail.jpn.org/lightnovel/?IndexPage

It's a wiki, so you can create and edit pages, etc. That page is the index for all the pages currently on the wiki. so do a CTRL+F and then type in the japanese name. I did some trials and they checked out, "電撃文庫 To check for the magazines, And 狼と香辛料 To see if the also listed the novels. It's all on that page, I believe.

However, if you don't mind the clutter, there is also this:

http://ponytail.jpn.org/lightnovel/?SearchPage

Like the link says, it's a search page, but it's not just for books and titles. It has news listings on publication dates, authors come up, a whole list of stuff. (at least that was true for Spice and Wolf, Dengeki Bunko gave all the novels and magazines, and some dates and stuff.)

The best thing for me, is that it has the rankings! So the #1-10 list and stuff for best selling. And March 4th saw an update :) However, it's pulled from the Amazon E-ranking service, so I'm not sure how they get their numbers...anyway, according to them, ZnT #16 is in first place.

Anyway, sorry for the cluttery long post. As that is a wiki, there are probably alot of novels that may be missing or something, so if it doesn't have it...^_^
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Double Post O_o

Anyway, I've updated the site again, this time I decided to put the japanese title right above the synopsis, so if you wanted to look up the title in japanese, you can. Earlier I had just put an english translation of the title as the post topic, then the synopsis. Now you've got the title to use as well.

Also put in "The Electro-Magneic Girl and the Youthful Boy,"

and I have a question.

What would you say about me putting up say like a ~3 or so page translation as a teaser? For this I might just make another blog, and have it set up the same way, just no synopsis. Instead put out a translation? Or use mediafire to upload it, etc etc?

I'm doing like a snails pace 1-2 pages of PuiPui! a day :)
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

Krikit wrote:and I have a question.

What would you say about me putting up say like a ~3 or so page translation as a teaser? For this I might just make another blog, and have it set up the same way, just no synopsis. Instead put out a translation? Or use mediafire to upload it, etc etc?
D-D-D-DO WANT! :D
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Okay, it's not much, but this is what I'm thinking of doing:

At the blog, I've got one teaser translated. It's the first 2 pages of Tama◇Nama. Honestly though, it's not much a a teaser. It's ~3 pages of novel text, but it doesn't get anywhere in depth, though even so you get alot of background on the main character, and the first interaction conversation is where I've left off. ~3 pages might be a little small...but if I actually did a full fledged half a chapter translation, I'd be "obligated" to put it on the wiki, lol.

http://shou-setsu.blogspot.com/search/label/Teasers

I've made a subsection for all the posts where I will put teaser links.

So far, as all the other novels have teasers and wiki pages, etc etc, these will be the novels I will put out a teaser for:

Tama◇Nama (7 novels currently released)
Nine's Contract (2 novel currently released)
Excel World (1 novel currently released)
Electro-Magnetic Girl and the Youthful Boy (1 novel currently released)

For now, it will be just those, and as I add ~1-2 new novels each day (minus today, and days I translate teasers/Puipui!) they will be included as well.

What do you think of me doing it this way?

(even though it's like, just you (assassin) who seems to be reading this, lol. Even so I'm having fun doing this :).

EDIT: The teasers you can download at Mediafire are in .pdf format.

EDIT2: (why do I write so much...nobody wants to read this much if it's not actually a novel right?? O_o) Spoiler tags = space saver.
Spoiler! :
Anyway, I thought up an idea which will help me manage my time a little better with this 3-pronged triten. Synopsis, Teaser, Puipui! Balancing act, etc etc. I've implemented a poll on the blog, and every week I'll be changing the list around. It's a poll where you can choose which novel you'd like a teaser for, and the day after the poll closes, that novel will have a teaser released. (The poll will be closing on Monday in the future, as I work that day, so Tuesday I'll have the time for all the translations and stuff).

Nine's Contract
Electro-magnetic Girl and the Youthful Boy
Excel World
TamaxNama (More In Depth)

Are the current choices, but will change as I add new novel synopsis's, etc etc.

Return to “Commune”