Usergroups suggestion! Join/Create your own Usergroup!

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

GDsMDDLFNGR
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by GDsMDDLFNGR »

Hmm I'd like to know as well, since I've signed up for all the girls' groups as a matter of course. :D
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

well, I not sure, what do you lot think it should be?

(^^?)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Coffee 54
Astral Realm

Post by Coffee 54 »

GDsMDDLFNGR wrote:I've signed up for all the girls' groups as a matter of course. :D
Same here, so my vote would have to be to allow multi-group joinings, although I could pick just the one it I really had to.
<-Take a guess as to which :wink:
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

Multi-group joinings, onegaishimasu. We should be allowed to like more than one character.

So...all fanboys (and fangirls--btw, does this forum have any? just curious)...express your love for your favorite characters! Go go! :lol:
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

(better late than ... ?)

Post by the_naming_game »

To avoid unforseen misunderstandings, I'll just say that everything except the last section is addressed to SubordinateFive, though I don't really mind who replies.

"SHUFFLE! hate"
I was actually referring to Onizuka-gto's holding out for a "decent non-shuffle style alternative", and also his history of acts against the Three-Letter Liberation Lobby. But anyway...

SHUFFLE!
I would actually not recommend watching "SHUFFLE!" if you're looking for the most bang for your viewing time. It's a fun show, but nothing close to life-changing. It compresses a lot of fun moments at the beginning, (actually throughout, but it's more concentrated at the start.) so you can get a good feel for it just from the first few episodes. (It's been awhile, so I'm not exactly sure how many I would consider as "first few.") There are some twists later. (being deliberately vague here.)

In all, it's one of the better mindless harem shows out there. But like most (afterthought: H-game based) harem shows, I feel that it suffers from having to cover "everyone's story arc" before finally settling on one. In the end, the SHUFFLE! memes were stronger for me than the characters.

If you don't need action and conflict, I'd recommend "Lamune" for no other reason than quality. (This one's based on an H-game as well, yet it's not harem-tastic. Nothing in particular stands out about it, but it's just good.) The animation isn't the best, but the story and characters are good. If they'd had more story and budget to work with, this could easily have been one of those stories that kept me thinking about it long afterwards, like "Air" and "Evangelion" and "Gunslinger Girl" and "Futakoi Alternative" and (somewhat) "Kimi ga Nozomu Eien" did -- all for different reasons, and to different degrees, of course. Whoa, I'm getting off track.

(afterthought: "Canvas 2" is pretty good as well. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle in terms of seriousness between "Lamune" and "SHUFFLE!")

Summary: watch the first few eps, if you just want to get an idea of the triple-letter thing. The story is mostly bland and fun, (and there's nothing wrong with that, per se.) though it does change dramatically in a few parts. Overall, though, if you prefer to watch things that blow your mind, this probably won't. Plenty of fanservice, though!

whew, returning to Tsuruya
"Ivy" does go well with her green/grey hair motif. I was kind of grasping at straws with the whole "legend" thing, because I couldn't find anything else close to a superlative on the list.
  • I will have to admit to starting to notice Haruhi after seeing other sides of her in the later episodes. And Asakura Ryouko wasn't even on my radar, until she went psychotic ... that's probably a little odd of me. (and I never really considered her at all until I saw how it played out in the anime.) But it kind of struck me how interesting it'd be if she ever returned, as a semi-friendly, but probably un-trustworthy entity. Since her secret's already out, there's no need to put on that "nice" front anymore. (The truth is, I think I have a thing for extremes in character.)

Neither had the same immediate impact as Tsuruya's giggle, or Yuki's non-giggle, though. I can still remember in the anime, when Yuki first turns, touches her glasses, says "Nagato Yuki", and turns back to her book. Classic.

(afterthought: just checked, and I think I'm going to have to collect some Ryouko+knife pics. There's just something about her now...)
just to compare notes...
I don't expect much overlap, except in a few obvious ones:

(I don't claim any of my favorites to be unique, merely mine. Hopefully the more obscure ones aren't too obscure.)
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: Daikuuji Ayu ("GO STEP IN CAT ***bleeped_to_avoid_word_filter_madness***!")

Evangelion: Rei (come on, you had to have seen that coming...), Misato

Love Hina: Motoko (manga version; no idea if there's any difference.), Kaolla Su (though I had to look up the name; so apparently not a true fan.)

Gunslinger Girl: Henrietta (But there were just so many different things going on in both the anime and the manga, that she was the only character who got a decent fleshing out.), Claes (come to think of it, the whole "badass bookworm" thing is a bit Yuki-esque.)

Futakoi Alternative: Shirogane Souju

Rozen Maiden: Suiseiseki (afterthought: SuiSeiSeki is already her own triple letter acronym. All right!)

SHUFFLE: oddly enough, nobody caught me enough in the original "fan club" anime to make me want to start a fan club. Asa, Primula, and Kaede (Though it doesn't bode well that I had to look up Kaede's name on Wikipedia, since I'd forgotten.)

Great Teacher Onizuka: Urumi (manga version, since I hear they're different.)

Honey and Clover: Morita, though if I had to pick a female, it'd have to be the "Iron Lady" person whose name I forget now. (Uh oh, I've just changed the list focus to favorite character in general. Back on track!)

Magikano: the oldest sister. the student council leader.

School Rumble: Eri, Lala (I suspect Lala's a tsundere, but hell will probably freeze over before Imadori sees that side of her.)

Lamune: Nanami, Hiromi (yet another bad sign that I had to look up Hiromi's name. She didn't get much screen time, in my defense, though. Oh wait, you could say the same about Tsuruya...) -- (afterthought: Those were my favorite female characters in the show, but it still wasn't to fan-club-forming proportions. I'll leave this in here, just because I mentioned "Lamune" previously.)

Utawarerumono: Eruruu (on account of the tail thing, but currently, nobody's really standing out. It's not that kind of show, though.)

Negima: Ayaka, the class rep. (by far!) Evangeline, Chachamaru (manga version for all, never seen the anime.)

Canvas 2: Elis, the gothloli girl, the writer girl (starting to get lazy about name lookup.)
This list isn't complete, but it's getting a little long already...

Multiple Group Memberships
Looks like it's already been decided, but yeah, the more lenient, the merrier. It's just too unnatural to have to pick just one, for those of us used to harem shows.
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

the_naming_game wrote:I don't expect much overlap, except in a few obvious ones.
Not much overlap here, I have to admit. (That's a pretty sizable list, though. And I like the phrase "badass bookworm" from your Gunslinger Girl entry!) Anyway, here comes my list (so far):
  • Azumanga Daioh ~ Kagura, Osaka (yeah, odd but true--those random thoughts are awesome!)
  • Bobobo (manga) ~ Poppa Rocks, Jelly Jiggler (those guys are hilarious!)
  • Chobits ~ Chitose (not enough airtime in my opinion)
  • Ever 17 ~ Tsugumi, Sora
  • GetBackers ~ Ginji
  • Inuyasha ~ Sango
  • Love Hina (anime) ~ Kitsune, Kaolla Su (finally! we have something in common! :D)
  • Mahoromatic ~ Mahoro (I've only seen 2 episodes so far but Mahoro's kawaii! I first saw her here, about 2 minutes into the video)
  • Megatokyo ~ Miho, Erika, Largo
  • Midori Days ~ Ayase, Seiji
I'll go and check out the anime you mentioned in your last post. Who knows--I might find another one to get into!
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by the_naming_game »

Yep, there's always Kaolla Su. (One out of 10+ isn't bad ... er ... right?) Non-overlap aside, we really haven't watched the same shows, huh. I guess it's easy to think that one's own taste is more well represented than it is.

I'm assuming Akane was your favorite in "Kimi ga Nozomu Eien"? (Ayu flings cat excrement on Akane and runs off.)

It's been a long time since I read "Chobits." (Yes, read; I'm usually reluctant to watch an anime where a manga was the primary source, since manga is so much faster to take in.) I'll have to check it out again to see what I missed about Chitose. (Mind you, I read it before I got really into this stuff.) If you want to see more of her, I believe she was originally in the "Angelic Layer" manga -- CLAMP's usual crossover madness.

Ayase from "Midori no Hibi" (I read the manga) -- there's just something about the class-rep type, eh? At least in fiction. The ones I've known were either bossy (sister) or just ... normal.

Megatokyo ... I'm going to punt and just say that I like all the main characters. But for what it's worth -- "Miho x Largo!" It's the last conversation between Erica and Largo (around 850?) that sealed it for me. They're just on different wavelengths. (reminds me of Akane and the loud guy in "Akane Maniax" -- spinoff of KGNE, in case you were wondering.) At least Miho and Largo are both into game playing. (even if they're not always the same ones.)

Hm. Item by item might take awhile. I've never even heard of "Bobobo" and "Ever 17", so curiosity dictates that I'll see what those are about. All the others, I've heard of, but never checked out. That can be easily remedied, of course. (It's nice to be living in the age of excessive information.)
Final Fantasist
Astral Realm

Post by Final Fantasist »

Hmm sounds fun this group thing I'm quite torn between Yuki or Haruhio, maybe I'll join both =p

Oh yeah i'm new, nice to meet you guys ^^
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Nice to meet you too, Final Fantasist.

[subtle hint]...you should join the Yuki/Tsuruya clubs...[/subtle hint]

Yuki's club: 14 members
Tsuruya's club: 6 members
Haruhi's club (rival?): 5 members
Koizumi's club (rival: Yuki's club): 2 members

Not bad!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

i love yuki even more these days, ever since i got my dirty hands on some yuki doujinshi.....

Nothing like seeing yuki gathering data on human behaviour & those crucial DNA samples.....

:twisted: :twisted:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

onizuka-gto wrote:i love yuki even more these days, ever since i got my dirty hands on some yuki doujinshi.....

Nothing like seeing yuki gathering data on human behaviour & those crucial DNA samples.....

:twisted: :twisted:
Yuki doujinshis? Where? Where? :shock:
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

well i could tell you, but then i'll have to kill you. :p

@Onizukademongto
GDsMDDLFNGR
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by GDsMDDLFNGR »

you're gonna have to share that sooner or later 8)
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

onizuka-gto wrote:well i could tell you, but then i'll have to kill you. :p
I don't really mind getting killed, I can at least die without regrets, but you'll be without someone who can translate fast with precision. :p
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ah. that is a dilemma...mmm....

well, i won't tell you here, but if you want it that desperately, send me a p.m and i'll gently point you in the right direction....

:twisted:

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Commune”