Harem MC - Hating or liking them

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Your opinion?

I like them. They attract girls.
7%
It depends of their personality.
27%
I hate them. I'm single.
3%
I like dense ones. They are victims.
4%
It depends of their other qualities.
19%
I hate dense ones. They are stupid.
14%
I want a yuri harem. Girls together on bed.
7%
I want a yaoi harem. Boys together on bed.
No votes
I want polygamy in the harem. Wives on bed.
12%
I prefer a female MC. Otome / reverse harem.
2%
I want a trap MC (Hideyoshi). Mixed harem.
4%

Total votes: 122

Chaos2Frozen
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Harem MC - Hating or liking them

Post by Chaos2Frozen »

ainsoph9 wrote:For the most part, I think one could argue against Key VNs having the standard harem.
In what universe? If that's the case I'll point out that Higurashi isn't a harem series either =_=

Fine, the KyoAni Anime adaptations of Key's VN then.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

Although you can date the girls in many Key games, the anime does not really allow for that for the most part for obvious reasons. Hence, you could argue that most/all of the flags in the anime are set for the "friend" route to begin with for the most part. While some girls in some of the series have crushes on the same character, it usually does not reach the harem insanity that most harem series do.

Higurashi obviously has the harem thing going for it, especially seeing the girls are willing and able to kill over it.
Chaos2Frozen
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Chaos2Frozen »

ainsoph9 wrote:Although you can date the girls in many Key games, the anime does not really allow for that for the most part for obvious reasons. Hence, you could argue that most/all of the flags in the anime are set for the "friend" route to begin with for the most part. While some girls in some of the series have crushes on the same character, it usually does not reach the harem insanity that most harem series do.

Higurashi obviously has the harem thing going for it, especially seeing the girls are willing and able to kill over it.

Now you're just being picky, the level of which the comedy display in a series does not factor in whatsoever and never has.

A harem by modern Anime fans standard is simply any situation when more than two girls display romantic affection for a character regardless of whether he responds in kind or even realizes it.

(btw, Kanon and Clannad both have crazily hilarious moments)

In the first place isn't the topic about harem girls dying? What does it matter if the show isn't a true and true pure fanservice comedy romance Harem series?
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

The "pure" fanservice harem series tend not to kill off their characters. Hence, it seems somewhat necessary to take some detours, which may include splitting hairs.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

The author must be really good at character development to kill one of his characters, especially in a harem.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

BTW' I nev er thought that School Days was heading towards the bad end neither.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Seriously? All of the signs were there for the bad ending. Also, if you did a search on Wikipedia at the time "School Days" was coming out, you would have seen all of the possible endings, most of which are "bad" endings. Even the "good" or "true" ending is not that good.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ainsoph9 wrote:Seriously? All of the signs were there for the bad ending. Also, if you did a search on Wikipedia at the time "School Days" was coming out, you would have seen all of the possible endings, most of which are "bad" endings. Even the "good" or "true" ending is not that good.
Who the hell looks for all the VN ending possibilities anyway?

I thought that it was gonna head towards drama and tears, but not...."that".
Kira0802

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Gamers who are completionists?
Just4fun
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Just4fun »

Kira0802 wrote:BTW' I nev er thought that School Days was heading towards the bad end neither.
yeah me too.
I Have a Future Diary trust me..... XD
(Just kidding...)
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

I think the only people that really saw it coming were the ones who already knew about the game
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yeah, I think I knew about the game at that point. I cannot recall exactly how or why, but I think it might have been the forum here or my random wanderings around the internet. Either way, I "cheated."
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ainsoph9 wrote:Yeah, I think I knew about the game at that point. I cannot recall exactly how or why, but I think it might have been the forum here or my random wanderings around the internet. Either way, I "cheated."
But there were good endings too, right?
Kira0802

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Define "good."

Beware that the following is not for the weak of heart and should not be read with little ears present.
Spoiler! :
Ending 1: Sekai ends up with Makoto. They both confess their love for each other at the station Sekai gets off at.

Ending 2: Due to the fact that it is now clear that Sekai and Makoto are dating, Nanami and the girls in the sports clubs conspire to bully Kotonoha and keep her away from Makoto; Nanami warns Kotonoha about not getting close to Makoto, and later the other girls intervene to bully her and knock over Kotonoha's homemade lunch which she prepared for Makoto. Makoto learns about what happened by overhearing Otome's friends speaking about it and later searches for Kotonoha, finding her right when Otome and her friends have her cornered and Natsumi is about to slap her. Then, Makoto intervenes on Kotonoha's behalf; he grabs Natsumi's hand and stands up for Kotonoha, lecturing the other girls for being bullies. He then blames Sekai for all the bullying and harshly reprimands her as she cries and apologizes repeatedly. The game ends with Kotonoha and Makoto eating lunch together and then kissing afterwards.

Ending 3: Sekai's mother was moving out of town, shortly after Sekai and Makoto had established a relationship. Sekai didn't put up much of a fight, which made Makoto mad and made Makoto think Sekai wasn't really serious about the relationship. So to attempt to fix things and get Sekai to be more aggressive in her pursuit of Makoto, Setsuna hatched a plan. She stripped naked, then called Sekai on the phone and then Setsuna and Makoto made pretend sex noises into the phone, so Sekai would think that Setsuna and Makoto were having sex which would make Sekai jealous enough to be more active. Ultimately the plan succeeds. When Setsuna leaves, both Makoto and Sekai go to see her off. Setsuna starts crying after they exchange good-byes, but she still manages to smile and hold up her signature victory sign.

Ending 4: Sekai and Makoto are in love and decide to tell Kotonoha about it. Kotonoha handles it very badly, even begging Makoto to date her again in Makoto's apartment. He apologizes to her and declines. Afterwards, Kotonoha quietly tells them that they will never be happy together. As Sekai and Makoto leave the apartment, Kotonoha's phone falls and shatters on the floor. They then witness how Kotonoha throws herself off the ledge of the apartment, landing head first on the pavement and dying. Just before she hits the ground, Sekai and Makoto see briefly how her eyes are completely lifeless. The epilogue shows Makoto in front of Kotonoha's grave, a few years after her suicide; it is revealed that he broke up with Sekai, finished high school, is now working with his mom and has never had a girlfriend since, having decided to never fall in love again.

Ending 5: One day while Kotonoha and Makoto are having sex, Makoto tries to comfort an insecure Kotonoha and tells her that she is the only one for him, and that Sekai is good for nothing. Sekai overhears this and becomes enraged; she goes home, and as soon as she arrives, she throws up in the kitchen. Six months later, Makoto and Kotonoha are on a walk outside, with her talking about having a baby. When they part, Sekai, now pregnant, appears and stabs Makoto in the gut with a butcher knife. After a few words from Makoto, Sekai becomes terrified at what she has just done and runs off. Makoto slowly walks from the beach, trying to go find Kotonoha. But he eventually dies from blood loss.

Ending 6: Sekai and Makoto are in love. One day, Kotonoha overhears Makoto and Sekai loudly making love to each other, which in turn emotionally destroys her. She spends several hours on her own, emotionally dead, until she suddenly snaps in the snow and laughs maniacally. The next day, as Makoto and Sekai leave the train station, they meet Kotonoha on an overpass beside the station. There is an awkward moment as Sekai lets go of Makoto's arm, greeting her. Kotonoha says a few words before revealing a saw hidden behind her school bag and swiping it beside Sekai's neck. After a few seconds, Sekai suddenly bleeds violently and collapses in a pool of blood in front of Kotonoha and Makoto. After Sekai dies, Kotonoha says that she has gotten her revenge. Kotonoha apologizes to Makoto, offers him her saw and asks him if he wanted to take her life. Shocked, Makoto screams and knocks the saw out of her hand. As it flies out of her hand, it leaves a cut. Makoto is frozen in fear. The only thing that knocks him back to his senses is Nanami and Hikari screaming in the background. As he looks at Sekai's lifeless body, Kotonoha tries to affectionately wrap a scarf around him. Not knowing if she is going to kill him as well, Makoto is scared and starts to panic. He grabs her hand with a tight grip which brings Kotonoha out of her "trance". Once she realizes what she has done, Kotonoha starts to cry.

Ending 7: Makoto confesses about his relationship with Sekai to Kotonoha, but this leads to Kotonoha attempting to cut Sekai with a saw, believing she tricked Makoto into a relationship. Makoto intervenes at the last second, but is injured by Kotonoha's attack. As he recovers at a hospital, he discovers during a visit from Sekai that she had gone to Kotonoha's house and killed her in order to clean the slate and start over again with just herself and Makoto before he had met Kotonoha.

Ending 8: Sekai believes she is pregnant with Makoto's child, but is asked to get an abortion by Makoto; however, she is told to go to the hospital to confirm her pregnancy only to find it to be a misunderstanding. Under the emotional stress induced by Makoto's request, she stabs him in the stomach to death with a kitchen knife. Soon after, Kotonoha discovers Makoto's dead body and calls Sekai to the roof of the school using Makoto's cellphone. After a brief exchange, where Kotonoha shows Sekai the school bag with Makoto's severed head inside, Kotonoha attacks and kills Sekai with the backsaw that she cut off Makoto's head with, then cuts her womb open in search of the fetus. Finding nothing, she concludes that Sekai lied about her pregnancy. The ending scene shows Kotonoha on her family yacht clinging to Makoto's severed head.

Ending 9: Kotonoha and Sekai admit and accept that they both love Makoto. They both are pregnant, and want to reveal the news to Makoto as a "Christmas Present".

Ending 10: Makoto is at home with his mother and receives a picture and letter from Setsuna from France, showing her standing in front of the Arc de Triomphe. She writes: I will be giving birth in Japan, so I'll return around the time when you get this letter. Please think of a name. Setsuna". The doorbell rings and Makoto's chosen lover (Kotonoha if the ending is "Carnal Desire", or Sekai if the ending is "Bavarois") comes in, introducing Setsuna to Makoto's mother as Makoto's former classmate if Kotonoha is chosen, or as being her childhood friend if Sekai is chosen. Setsuna promptly introduces herself, "I'm the wife," holding up her pregnancy inoculations booklet and a victory sign.
Rednal
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by Rednal »

School Days made it obvious that it was a bit different relatively quickly... by about halfway through the show, I was pretty sure it was all going downhill.

I felt better after watching the ending, actually. XD; He... kinda had it coming.

Return to “Commune”