How did you learn Japanese?

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you learn Japanese?

Academically
17%
Self-study
79%
Other (Please include in post.)
3%

Total votes: 63

Just4fun
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: How did you learn Japanese?

Post by Just4fun »

What website can i learn japanese?? i want to do translations..
I Have a Future Diary trust me..... XD
(Just kidding...)
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Just4fun wrote:What website can i learn japanese?? i want to do translations..
Start learning kanas, you can simply google the charts and practice.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Just4fun

Post by Just4fun »

Kira0802 wrote:
Just4fun wrote:What website can i learn japanese?? i want to do translations..
Start learning kanas, you can simply google the charts and practice.
Ohh kanas first before kanji?? ok thanks!
(Just kidding...)
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

Just4fun wrote:Ohh kanas first before kanji?? ok thanks!
Seriously though, the kanas are simply a pair of parallel alphabets that function much like roman letters do for european languages . . . except they're systematic and simpler. Furthermore, in a normal light novel, more than half of the text is in hiragana or katakana. Once you know the kanas, then you can also read the furigana attached to the rarer kanji . . . and in some cases (early reader's books), to every kanji character.

But you will still have to learn vocabulary, grammar, and, sooner or later, the kanji. :(
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Grammar...are the rules complex?
Kira0802

rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Kira0802 wrote:Grammar...are the rules complex?
The rules for the grammar are not particularly complex, but are very different from european languages. It ought to be easy, but the language goes with a way of thinking, and it takes a while to internalize it and adapt.

The next major problem is the vocabulary. Moving back and forth between latin-based languages, this is not too hard, because (1) the words somewhat resemble each other, and (2) their meanings, for the most part, have a great deal of correspondence. That is, if one language has a word for one color, the other language also has a single word meaning that same color. This is much less true in going between occidental (western) and oriental (eastern) languages. Any single word in English, say, may have a dozen or more approximations in Japanese or Chinese, and the same is true going the other direction. Japanese is said to be a "precise" language. That may be true to a person raised speaking Japanese in the Japanese culture, but converting the concepts to something a westerner might understand as precise, let alone natural sounding, is not always an easy task.

On problem #1 above, English speakers have a huge advantage at this point in history, because Japanese have borrowed huge numbers of English words into their daily speech. But you have to be careful about that: they pronounce them their own way, and you have to get used to the rules of that transformation, and often their understanding of the word's meaning is not the same as ours.

Apart from those borrowed words, however, true Japanese words have virtually no resemblance to English, or even latin-based words. You have to memorize them one by one. Case in point: "to memorize". In Spanish, a somewhat related language based on Latin and influenced by Arabic, the verb is "memorizar". Almost the same. In Japanese this is 覚える (oboeru), which has no similarity in sound nor spelling whatsoever. And the meaning bleeds over to "learn" and "remember".
Just4fun

Post by Just4fun »

rpapo wrote:
Kira0802 wrote:Grammar...are the rules complex?
The rules for the grammar are not particularly complex, but are very different from european languages. It ought to be easy, but the language goes with a way of thinking, and it takes a while to internalize it and adapt.

The next major problem is the vocabulary. Moving back and forth between latin-based languages, this is not too hard, because (1) the words somewhat resemble each other, and (2) their meanings, for the most part, have a great deal of correspondence. That is, if one language has a word for one color, the other language also has a single word meaning that same color. This is much less true in going between occidental (western) and oriental (eastern) languages. Any single word in English, say, may have a dozen or more approximations in Japanese or Chinese, and the same is true going the other direction. Japanese is said to be a "precise" language. That may be true to a person raised speaking Japanese in the Japanese culture, but converting the concepts to something a westerner might understand as precise, let alone natural sounding, is not always an easy task.

On problem #1 above, English speakers have a huge advantage at this point in history, because Japanese have borrowed huge numbers of English words into their daily speech. But you have to be careful about that: they pronounce them their own way, and you have to get used to the rules of that transformation, and often their understanding of the word's meaning is not the same as ours.

Apart from those borrowed words, however, true Japanese words have virtually no resemblance to English, or even latin-based words. You have to memorize them one by one. Case in point: "to memorize". In Spanish, a somewhat related language based on Latin and influenced by Arabic, the verb is "memorizar". Almost the same. In Japanese this is 覚える (oboeru), which has no similarity in sound nor spelling whatsoever. And the meaning bleeds over to "learn" and "remember".
in short learning japanese takes time...
(Just kidding...)
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Speaking of which, anyone tried to write the arabic language?
Kira0802

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Nope. For at least this reason.
Sh4d0wStrider
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sh4d0wStrider »

Home schooling japanese ^^ self tuition when I think about it here in my country only in two universities you could actually get tuition from a teacher which knows the language haha :D
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I need to start self-teaching...
Kira0802

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

That is what I keep telling myself when it comes to my kanji.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

ainsoph9 wrote:That is what I keep telling myself when it comes to my kanji.
Why not learn with Light Novels? There are furigaganas.
Kira0802

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I have other ways. I am actually trying to see if I can become a translator for Digital Manga.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Kira0802 wrote:
ainsoph9 wrote:That is what I keep telling myself when it comes to my kanji.
Why not learn with Light Novels? There are furigaganas.
Furigana are not used for the most common kanji (they assume you know such things already). The only text I've ever seen where every single kanji was marked with furigana was the Bible.

Return to “Commune”