American Government

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Poke2201
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: American Government

Post by Poke2201 »

You have a point there... But how much would our deficit be changed if we got those companies that pay no taxes to pay up? At the same time, nothings changed. Businesses have too much power, etc. etc.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

It's been said that our tax system (and that of many countries) is carefully tuned so that the bulk of the taxes are paid by the middle class. It may not have been deliberately designed that way, but through thousands of "reforms" and minor adjustments it winds up that way. Probably the biggest difference between the system in the USA and that in other countries is the Estate Tax, which was instituted around the same time as the Income Tax (early 1900s), and was intended to ensure that we wouldn't get dynasties, or "noble families" such as can be found in, say, England.

The tax system here has wound up in such a state that a professional tax accountant managing a large fortune can minimize the tax load on a rich person, but people who don't have either the fortune, or the means to employ such an accountant, generally cannot take advantage of those loopholes.

Many of those loopholes are written into law at the request of a rich campaign donor (you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours), and then hidden in a large collection of changes signed into law at a single time, so most of them are not noticed at once. When they tried to implement a "line item veto" to kill such things, it was soundly defeated.

Those loopholes are forever, until a major reform takes place, and a good tax accountant can generally take advantage of some of them for his particular client, even if it wasn't the original intended beneficiary of the loophole.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Poke2201 wrote:I must say though, we HAVE to stop using oil soon, its ridiculous how much we consume AND how much our economy can be affected by this one commodity. For economic issues, I'm exceptionally against the rich hoarding their money, and the Bush Tax Cuts are just insane. The top 5 make more than the bottom 25(or 95, I may have mixed something up) and THEY GET A TAX CUT? Eisenhower tax rates for them.... (90% tax rate apparently), and before someone harps about job creation, then explain why the US economy kept on growing with that massive tax rate? The next big thing to do is get our troops home, and lower the defense budget to something manageable.
While much of what you say is ideal, it is just that: ideal. Unfortunately, reality dictates that we most likely will not stop using oil any time soon. We are simply just too dependent on it, and I am not just talking about cars either. Without oil, plastic goes the way of the dinosaur.

As far as the tax cuts go, not to defend Bush or speak against him, he follows the economic "trickle-down" theory, where giving the upper and upper middle classes tax cuts helps spur the economy. The basic thought is if these classes have more money, they will typically have more ability to hire more people for jobs because these classes are generally the business owners and the like. Interesting enough, even JFK, a Democrat, did the same thing when Democrats are (stereo-)typically associated with raising taxes. In theory, giving the upper classes the tax cut will eventually make it down to the lower classes. Sadly, no matter who you give a tax cut, nobody will be happy in the end because of the perception that someone else's chunk of the pie is still larger. What is more is that the way the system is currently structured, people are dissuaded and/or punished for moving up classes. This generally because of the change in the tax brackets, which means increased taxes for those who are able to improve their standard of living. This country was built on the principle of allowing people "the pursuit of happiness" through their dreams. So, why do we punish people for accomplishing their dreams and being successful like we all want to be in life? Should we not somehow reward people for doing well in life? One last thing is that the general assumption is that the rich constantly hoard their money, but many of these people do many great acts of philanthropy. Should we discourage such giving? Now, I am personally not pro-upper class solely because I realize that the upper class is responsible for screwing people over at the same time they help them. Rather, I interesting in trying to help put some things in some perspective.

As far as the troops go, many make this a personal issue. Although this is not to the credit of the armed forces, many soldiers simply live overseas now like they would here. They have families with wives that hold jobs and children that attend school with their friends. Sometimes, I wonder if we are being somewhat selfish as a nation by forcing our feelings on the soldiers overseas. While I understand that having them over there eats up the defense budget and all, I cannot help but wonder if we are a being a little one-sided. I do not have THE answer for this because I do not think that only a single answer exists.

Looking at the defense budget, I do wonder if lowering would be such a good idea unless we are talking about trimming the inefficiency out of the system. If we are talking about just taking out whatever, I wonder if we have learned our lesson from 9-11. It seems that 9-11 has practically all but faded from people's minds and hearts. This is just me emoting, but I feel that the general thrust among much of the American public is not necessarily productive when it comes to these issues.
Poke2201 wrote:You have a point there... But how much would our deficit be changed if we got those companies that pay no taxes to pay up? At the same time, nothings changed. Businesses have too much power, etc. etc.
I do not think that it is so much that businesses alone have too much power. Rather, I think that it is a combination of business and government. Both of them are sticking their influence and power where they have no business doing so. Essentially, no system of checks and balances exists for these entities in a sense.
Zell_ff8
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

I'm american and I don't... oh, wait, you're talking about USA. I forgot they like to believe are the whole continent.
You could start by naming your own country. What's that of "United States of America"? Say, if MERCOSUR joins, it could be called USA too ¬_¬

USA is too big, too much citizens, and very few activists. They don't go out in the streets unless its a decoy theme, or an external issue, or abortion or idk, isolated protests that the fat pigs just laugh at it. Most citizens don't participate. Just 63% voted in 2008. Also bi-partidism and presidentialism doesn't help to US context.
I don't know the reason. Maybe US americans are too sedated by the "american dream" or overwhelmed by their bureaucratic system to bother participate. I can't help but facepalm everytime I see at them how being the first world power still haven't free higher education or free public health system.

For what I care, US external policies and history have done a huge harm to the world and most countries in every possible aspect, from suffocating developing countries economies, consuming energy in excess and harming the planet, to supporting wars and dictatorships worldwide, or directly bombing them, so I kinda hate the figure of US. I'm afraid of an US flag more than a catholic cross. They don't even care about others, they do what they want even if UN says another thing. Or look at the only country in the world who hasn't ratified Kyoto' protocol. But well, their citizens are only guilty of their inaction.
No wonder why US is hated worldwide, but the natives don't seem to react. Maybe their media or culture inflates they patriotic pride and they keep believing US is a "land of freedom" and the rest are just monkeys with crude oil.
Maybe if they start spending less taxes in defense and more in education for everyone...
Looking at the defense budget, I do wonder if lowering would be such a good idea unless we are talking about trimming the inefficiency out of the system. If we are talking about just taking out whatever, I wonder if we have learned our lesson from 9-11. It seems that 9-11 has practically all but faded from people's minds and hearts. This is just me emoting, but I feel that the general thrust among much of the American public is not necessarily productive when it comes to these issues.
They need so much in defense because they've gained the rage all over the world. Destroy economies, bomb outside, but keep a high wall of defense to yourself. I don't defend terrorism, but making more "human" international relationships could be considered as a boost to defense (prevent making enemies).

I pass. I'd never want to live there. Would travel yes, to watchseeing and lend them some tourist dollars, but that scheme of "you need money to EVERYTHING, you ARE money" is too much cruel for me. In the summer I'll be travelling there (west coast and most places they stoled from Mexico), but only because I have a travel insurance that assures me cheaper health service than natives.
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Zell_ff8 wrote:I'm american and I don't... oh, wait, you're talking about USA. I forgot they like to believe are the whole continent.
You could start by naming your own country. What's that of "United States of America"? Say, if MERCOSUR joins, it could be called USA too ¬_¬
More like the US is referred to as "America" in most places of the world, so if you're going to make a generalization don't say "they" or say that we believe things that are untrue. :)

Nor should you say we "stole" territory from Mexico while in the same breath being hypocritical by also including Native American land. We annexed Texas after the Texas Revolution that Mexico refused to realize, and then bought the rest of our western territory from Mexico at the conclusion of the war. Keep in mind that the Mexicans also "stole" territory from the Natives. There's no better side in that discussion. The truth about Native American genocide is that it was never endorsed by the United States government, but was perpetrated by people who illegally settled in areas that blatantly violated the treaties that the government attempted to make with local tribes but didn't have the means to enforce. Pair that with a bunch of rednecks with muskets and there's really no stopping it. This happened from the early 1700s (before the colonies were actually independent of Britain) all the way up to the late 1800s (think Wild West, where there was little to no law enforcement because a lack of established government control of the area).

So, despite how I dislike the country I live in, it irritates me when people make invalid and ignorant arguments while professing that "all Americans are ____" or "all Americans believe ____" or "All Americans _____." It really just makes you look stupid.

But as far as what you say about why we have no many enemies and bad relationships with other countries, I completely agree. The past 60-70 years' policies have been utterly ridiculous to the point where you have to wonder if politicians are purposely sabotaging the country, and whether Americans are too distracted or apathetic, or even brainwashed, to realize it.

What's more, I'm not saying my history is exactly correct. For all I know it has been made up to make America not look as bad, but regardless of what it is, you can't use a past of over a century ago to judge America now. No one has any connection to it, and most of us who have ancestors who lived in America then know nothing about them nor do we even care to be honest.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Zell_ff8 wrote:I'm american and I don't... oh, wait, you're talking about USA. I forgot they like to believe are the whole continent.
Where to begin...normally, I am sensitive to the fact that many people outside of the United States are sensitive to feeling excluded by the term "American" referring only to things pertaining to the United States, which comes across as exclusionary. So, if you took that personally, I apologize that I offended you with my choice of words. It is sometimes difficult to describe things in the United States without the word "American." As far as the citizens and residents thinking that they are all of the continent and then some, most people within the borders of the United States do not think that way. Rather, it is just a poor lack of vocabulary for the most part.
USA is too big, too much citizens, and very few activists.
Could you please clarify what you mean by "too big?" I am going to try to give you the benefit of a doubt here, but if you are referring to geographical size, why not pick on Canada or Russia? They are larger than the United States in terms of area. Also, the United States does not have too many citizens. For the size of the country, the United States does not have a population density problem unless you want to discuss some of the citizens, but that is just plain poor zoning. India, China, and Bangladesh all have population problems, not the United States. Actually, the United States gives the most foreign aid and has the most volunteers to other countries in times of crisis and otherwise than most countries in the world. It is generally near the top in lists that I have seen.
They don't go out in the streets unless its a decoy theme, or an external issue, or abortion or idk, isolated protests that the fat pigs just laugh at it. Most citizens don't participate. Just 63% voted in 2008. Also bi-partidism and presidentialism doesn't help to US context.
As far as going out into the streets, the Tea Party Movement has been quite popular here for the past few years, which generally involves rallies and protests out in the streets. You just do not hear about it in the news. Protests and rallies of all kinds happen for whatever reason in various places throughout the country all the time. The great thing is that people can rally and protest without the fear of getting shot for the most part. Most of the world that is not possible. As for being bi-partisan, the Tea Party Movement could change that. Anyhow, what does being bi-partisan have anything to do with anything? Most of the country votes moderately anyhow and not always along party lines.

What is the problem with having a president who acts as a president should? I think that we often forget that the president of whatever or leader of whatever is human, just like the rest of us. So, if he/she is human, why do we put them up on a pedestal and not allow them the freedom to screw up on the occasion, no matter how large or small? I like being able to screw up. Do you not? Why can we not let the President of the United States fall flat on his face just like we all do, unless he somehow becomes something other than human when he becomes President?
I don't know the reason. Maybe US americans are too sedated by the "american dream" or overwhelmed by their bureaucratic system to bother participate. I can't help but facepalm everytime I see at them how being the first world power still haven't free higher education or free public health system
I do not know what you are talking about "US americans are too sedated by the 'american dream'" and the like. It is not like belonging to the United States frees people from being responsible human beings, who have their own problems and have many of the same struggles as the rest of the world. If you are speaking about voting and being "active," some people do not care unless it steps on their toes. Being apathetic is not isolated to the United States alone, that much I know.

Sometimes, the best solution for one group of people is not the best solution for all people when it comes to free higher education or free public health. Many people in the United States simply do not want it because they do not like the government being too powerful. This does not mean that the country or its citizens are less than or inferior to the rest of the world. It just means that those people feel differently about the same issue. Also, the economists' saying is "There is no such thing as a free lunch." While it may be perceived that the education and public health are free, someone is paying for it somewhere. Generally, this means higher taxes. I know Sweden has both, but they automatically take a 70% slash to their paychecks. OUCH! Personally, I like being able to spend money where I know that I will be able to use it the way I want to use it.
For what I care, US external policies and history have done a huge harm to the world and most countries in every possible aspect, from suffocating developing countries economies, consuming energy in excess and harming the planet, to supporting wars and dictatorships worldwide, or directly bombing them, so I kinda hate the figure of US. I'm afraid of an US flag more than a catholic cross.
While I will admit that some of the United States' policies have not been so smart in the long run, I ask that you please differentiate between the people and the government. Often times, the people and the government do not agree on certain issues.

As for the energy problem, people often fail to remember that the United States is not the world's largest culprit of pollution. Countries like India and China are, and this is after putting things on an equal scale. Seeing that I worked in the energy world for a while, I know that the regulations are incredibly strict here in the United States. They are almost too strict to the point that the energy supply will not be able to keep up with the demand. The infrastructure here is old - too old - for the country to maintain itself. Some of the electric poles date back to 1900 with the average age of the infrastructure being 40-70 years old. Also, while people are wasteful in general, the United States' citizens do what they can to decrease such waste, although it is not always a new item.
They don't even care about others, they do what they want even if UN says another thing. Or look at the only country in the world who hasn't ratified Kyoto' protocol. But well, their citizens are only guilty of their inaction.
No wonder why US is hated worldwide, but the natives don't seem to react. Maybe their media or culture inflates they patriotic pride and they keep believing US is a "land of freedom" and the rest are just monkeys with crude oil.
Maybe if they start spending less taxes in defense and more in education for everyone...
As far as the UN goes, umm...how do I put this...the UN is not "united" as the name would suggest. Most of the meetings are spent bickering over stupid stuff, which results in never coming to any kind of resolution in a TIMELY manner. The reason why the massacre in Rwanda occurred, why terrorists are allowed in Lebanon, etc. is because the UN did nothing. So, citizens of the United States do not trust the UN because of the UN's inability to do anything competently. Hence, the leadership does not always follow suit with the UN either. Again, if people reacted or just acted solely on what others thought of them, nothing would get accomplished. So, if the United States is hated, why should people care when the United States does stuff and gets it done in a timely matter?

Actually, the media and culture do not inflate the patriotic pride. If anything, it deflates patriotic pride here because the media is almost anti-United States often. Frankly, I know many of the limitations of this country. The United States is freer than most countries, but when people speak of freedom here, it is generally in an ideal sense. So, if reality is different, who cares? People are still striving for the dream of freedom. That is much more than just giving up. Also, people here do not view the rest of the world as "monkeys with crude oil." Admittedly, most people here have enough problems to care about that or even have that kind of thought enter their minds. One last thing on the quote about: while the United States does not always get it "right," does any country in the world have it "right?" Yes. We do have some education problems, but does not everybody? Please allow us to correct our own problems without feeling the need to correct them for us. I do not mean to say this condescendingly but only as a humble request. I do not agree with your opinion, but I welcome you ability to say it.
They need so much in defense because they've gained the rage all over the world. Destroy economies, bomb outside, but keep a high wall of defense to yourself. I don't defend terrorism, but making more "human" international relationships could be considered as a boost to defense (prevent making enemies).

I pass. I'd never want to live there. Would travel yes, to watchseeing and lend them some tourist dollars, but that scheme of "you need money to EVERYTHING, you ARE money" is too much cruel for me. In the summer I'll be travelling there (west coast and most places they stoled from Mexico), but only because I have a travel insurance that assures me cheaper health service than natives.[/quote]

Any suggestions on how to make more "human" international relationships? If you mean to just become like lemmings, then we will not be more "human." Does not every nation have the right and ability to some extent act independently and unilaterally from the rest of the world? I need hear anyone critique Andorra, Switzerland, Kuwait, Papa New Guinea, Nepal, Suriname, etc. for half of their global policies? Why the United States?

Please allow me to ask a question, and I ask this sincerely without any spitefulness or sarcasm. Why would you even VISIT the United States for tourism when you have qualified that you hate the country, its people, its policies, and everything in it as well as all that it stands for and think that you and your nation are so much better than the United States? :| I am absolutely baffled and stunned. :? I do not understand why anyone with some much hatred for a single thing would even want to visit and take advantage of the people and resources when those very things are obviously not felt to be good or in that person's best interest. Would you please care to explain that to me? Thank you! :)
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Ainsoph's response was a lot better than mine.

But the whole background of why I created this thread is not out of hatred for the United States, nor at all of its people. It's me frustrated with having to bear the weight of issues that seem so incredibly ridiculous that I wonder who the supposed qualified person was that got us into this array of problems. It's not always the president, because the president is just a figurehead. Who was it then? It doesn't matter.

I want to leave this country because I don't want to live in a superpower. I want to live humbly and peacefully, and be uninvolved in politics. This is because I feel that my nature objects to even trying to do anything because I know myself, and I know that I would not do any good in the political world. I'd rather live in a country that doesn't get involved in world conflicts, and I'm looking at Japan for this because it seems to be more domestically concerned, which I appreciate. I don't watch anime or read manga, so it's not bred out of being an otaku or anything, it's purely out of an appreciation of a part of the culture of the area: normal people living (relatively) peaceful lives.

All in all, what puzzles me is what the driving motive was behind why the United States is in its current position. Did we really see ourselves as guardians of democracy? We may as well call the wars of the past 60 years crusades, because that's essentially what their apparent driving motivation was. If we had realized this before, that military force helps nothing, from looking at the crusades then I wonder what would have happened differently.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Well the only reason I stay in America is really just because of the culture. In Japan there is something in the culture that makes me want to stay away. Don't ask what though.

I live on the west coast, "Stolen Mexican States" and etc. or some derisively call it the Left Coast, and then the people Left Coast Liberals, which I take as a compliment. As for my posts up top: I am a liberal in social issues but fiscally conservative. To be honest I'd prefer to live in Sweden or Switzerland if I could stand the cold. As for ainsophs response to mine, I feel that the upper-class has too much power, but its also a catch-22, where adding restrictions on the rich helps the poor, but then when the poor become rich they get screwed over. Obviously, I think idealistically about policy, especially tax policy. The problem with tax cuts is that something has to pay for it, yet tax increases just pisses everyone off. Comparing the two, even if it may piss me off, tax increases will somewhat help us in the future, unlike tax cuts, where we need to still pay for that...

As for the defense budget... F-35 next gen aircraft fighter... well... 'nuff said. If there was a way to keep projects like that from skyrocketing into something monstrous for the budget, I'd be all ears. But the inefficiencies in the system, no actually, ALL bureaucracies should be fixed of their inefficiency. I can't really nitpick here.

As for Zell's post, the only thing I can really say is... Don't judge us citizens as a whole, its the same with the country and her people.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Zell_ff8
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

I never said anything about US citizens. I just told about the image US has in the worlds as a country (call it government).
About US american people, I only said they act too passive or barely active politically.
I don't hate US people, gosh. I won't do so stupid generalizations. I don't even know more than 50 citizens, how can I resent hundreds of millions?

And don't take literally about the "stole" wording. It's my personal appreciation. For example, indebting a company to then abuse your position to buy it is in the papers only a "transaction", a "sale". To my eyes its an abusive tactic and a rob.
Like we can say that Irak war is an heroic act of the saviors of the world to stop terrorism. That's the official one. But we all know that was a massacre and waste of contributors taxes for oil. Or the NATO actions over Libya. They do it for its people, and for democracy, and for freedom. Yeah. Libya is exactly like a bigger Bahrain, but Bahrain stays in US' side. Bahrain people also uprise amid the Arab protests, but US didn't care having a 38years long dictatorship with oil in Africa as long its an ally.

Of course, in the official version you won't see the US admitting abusive tactics or crimes. I don't even know if their citizens are aware of it. But I'm from (latin) America, and it wasn't a century ago when US investigated and supported (of the record, of course) dictatorships in our countries. Its just too contradictory. They bomb in middle west and "fight" against terrorism and armed parties, but 30 years ago they armed rebel factions of armies in south america to support coup d'etat to keep the region safe of "communism".

I don't know if the media brainwashes the citizenship or what, but outside the US and its strong allies, it looks pretty much like the demon (well, mostly in countries shitted by US policies, agencies or corporations, so it comprehensible)

@ainsoph9: By "big" I refer to importance, its a power, an influent country and the first you think of if you think globally. And by "to much citizens" was in comparison with the low activism its perceived from outside. I mean, in south american countries protests makes the government shivers. In US it seems protests are pretty much ignored.
About the "american dream" and "patriotism", maybe I'm generalizating because unfortunately most of the US americans I happen to chat in forums, games or blogs are pretty much the dumber ones. Say, like the kind of last month was saying earthquake was a payback for pearl harbor (orz).
About presidentialism and bi-partidism I didn't mean those were "bad". Just that I don't see it fitting US. A parliamentary system is more dynamic and works better in situation of crisis, and just two parties for a country so big seems to me a lack of options. This was a personal opinion

I havent been in US more than a month, so I can say anything about how its living in it. All I say is from I can obserb from the outside.

@ainsoph9: I visit because for the normal reason. Honestly, I don't hate its people, and I'm only afraid of their OUTSIDE policies, so being a tourist I don't have an opinion of the policies towards citizens. And never said that I looove my country. I'm in a "third world" country (or "developing", sounds nicer), there are millions of things I would like to see changed here. I want to visit some places because the nature its beautiful, the borders where put by man. If the grand canyon was in another country, I'll be visiting that one instead ;). Also art is universal. Want to see cities architecture and art of other cultures.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

I do agree, the government must look like the anti-christ from places like that. Unfortunately people who think that attack the citizens.

Also, communism was a scary thing for most American citizens(Okay, dont attack me, but United States Citizens sounds exceptionally weird)
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

It was scary for Americans because of human nature. The whole idea of "first impressions" if you will. We saw the Soviet Union as an extremely oppressive and abusive state, and we just automatically assumed that communism resulted in that kind of situation. In addition, much of the anti-communist propaganda was funded and supported by extremely rich capitalists who knew that socialist and communist ideals threatened their way of life.
Zell_ff8
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

It also depends of the perspective. I don't want to be conspirationist (though I love Hollywood movies about conspiracies), but I can't understand so much apathy of their citizens about their own government' doings or they own image unless they aren't fully aware of it.

The "media" can also manipulate things. For example, about Somalia hijacks all I saw in the media was about "piracy", "armed boats attacking" and "stealing". But if you search from other sources, those "pirates" are in fact desperate people from a "shitted" land defending their home for illegal fishing or disposal of toxic wastes and preventing being a dumpyards of the "developed" countries.
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

The reality is that we don't know a lot of things. Anything of that nature is not portrayed as being our responsibility, nor do I personally know whether Somalia serves as a point of any kind of operations for the United States myself. So the point being, we aren't told, nor is there much of a way of finding out, what we should and shouldn't be responsible for. Most of us are confused about our priorities because, quite frankly, we're so caught up in the madness of trying to maintain the standard of living that we're so used to.

It's exactly like a spoiled child's response.
Zell_ff8
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

But we can judge the moral of that "standard of living".

It it's "correct" we maintain a standard of living were we can fat until obesity with supersize at McDonalds when millions of childs die of HUNGER in several parts of the world? Or if it's "correct" that millions die of treatable or preventable diseases just to defend interests and patents of pharmaceutic companies?

It's in the nature of the human being to be greedy, but we can judge that. Everyone pisses off with tax increases, but even if I don't like it, I can understand paying more taxes for more social security. Instead of 10 living like richs, and 5000 living in the misery, we could decrease the margin by paying a little more. Maybe I'm a bit more aware of it because my condition is around "middle class", I'm not safe, if anything happens, loose my job or wathever, I'll be in the side that depends of social security to live. I'm not convinced by communism or socialism, but capitalism is indeed too selfish and cruel.
Actually, in the bright 21st century, we have superpowers exploiting raw materials from poor countries, and abusing of cheap workhand and health of developing countries, to sustain a good standard and quality of life. But very few lucky guys.
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

But you're making generalizations again...America gets a lot of shit for being "fat," but per capita it's really just as bad in Mexico, Austria, Denmark, Australia, and more. I honestly don't know why the U.S. is singled out for obesity. In fact, I can honestly say I don't know anyone who goes to McDonald's (or any notably unhealthy restaurant) regularly, and the nearest one is fairly close.

Just remember that stereotypes about America, from my point of view as an American who can be critical of the US, are all wrong and are based on minorities.

Not only that, but America does more to solve world hunger than any other country in the world, so to accuse this country of not doing enough is doubly accusing every other country.

It just amuses me that some of the most vocal critics of America are the ones who have either never been here, or have only been briefly, and this is coming from someone who wants to leave the country.

Return to “Commune”