College: How do you pay for it?

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: College: How do you pay for it?

Post by Dan »

I actually just paid the last on my student loans today. I graduated from a public university with about $15,000 in loans. I had also got some scholarships (one funded by the lottery and some merit based ones). Scholarships are nice, but you will have most of your payment for undergraduate coming from loans. Scholarships and student assistance are mostly reserved for graduate students.
dragonst
Project Translator

Post by dragonst »

Teh_ping, I would suggest that you do the SATs before enlisting, or you could possibly end up not doing the SATs at all (or doing much worse than you would have done) during your ns. I thought about doing the same thing before I enlisted, and look at me now, 4 months to finishing my ns, and I haven't touched SATs at all. Granted, I got Warwick so I don't really feel like putting in the effort to actually study SATs (I'll have to take SAT IIs for most ivy league schools too so it's too much of a hassle for me). In other words, you should really do SATs before enlisting, unless you're going into a non-combat vocation with a day job that lets you stay out of camp.
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
誰にも知られることなく、散っていく命がありました。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
明日さえも見えない絶望の中で、今日を生きる権利すら奪われた戦士たち。
守るべき祖国から捨てられ、戦争の大義も、勝利の栄光も、自らの名前さえも奪われた戦士たち。
そして、理想を追い求め、自らの手を血に染める戦士たち。
戦場という絶望の中で、彼らが見た希望とは何だったのでしょうか?
そして、彼らが守り抜いたものとは、何だったでしょうか?
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Well, I don't know who to thank, God or what, but my state school just this month opened up my intended major -- a co-major in International Business and Japanese language and studies. It used to only have a Japanese minor, and no emphasis on studying about Japan. I thought about German, but I don't like German as much as Japanese.

So everything's all good for me :D
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Huzzah!
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Assassin
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Assassin »

Here is like, there's a government loan in which almost EVERYBODY (me included) uses it, and paybacks are like hell to accomplish, it's like we just get screwed no matter what we choose.

And richfag haters who hate the richfags for getting scholarships despite being a richfags got to hate, and that doesn't just apply to the poor applicants themselves. Families, friends... everyone who knows about this bitter truth.

Add that with part time jobs that offer you just enough to enjoy the very little things that might or might not come so often in life and you might be wishing for a miracle like producing pure, genuine dollar bills from thin air.

Snide comments aside (sorry about that lol), if there's a government loan system you can take on for your studies, then go for it. If you believe you can back that up with part time jobs and still be a scorer, then go for that as well. It helps to have more than one source of financial assistance at your disposal. At least it helps reduce the load you'll have to endure after you finish your studies to help pay back that loan, and adds up to your work experience plus <insertotherbenefitsyoucanthinkhere>.

By the way, looks like my little sister just picked a hard route to success - and one of the most expensive ever. No doubt more expensive than my chosen path of living with computers.

Actuarial science.

First level examination (there are 5 as of what I heard) is going to cost her 200 USD, which translates into 760 MYR (Malaysian Ringgits). And that amount for us is what families of my financial level will go hysterical...

Hopefully all goes well for her.
This is a place holder to God knows when this owner will change his signature, if he ever thinks of it.
Noproblem
Yuki-Nagator

Post by Noproblem »

I don't have to pay for my education, so it's not really an issue for me :)
yajra03
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by yajra03 »

how much is your highest and lowest tuition fee in college?

" nope, god hates us. even if we go, he'll send us back "
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

A few state colleges have free in state tuition.

A few private colleges cost $40K+.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Most Ivy Leagues and places like Boston U, NYU, etc. usually cost $40k plus per semester. To put that in perspective, you could attend your state university at least once for four years and then some over for just one semester at a $40k school.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

...with money. well ,not my own, my parents. Now repaying it back. arbeit. slooooowly.

:]
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Is it true that it's a lot cheaper to go to Uni in the UK, but harder to get in?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Fushichou wrote:Is it true that it's a lot cheaper to go to Uni in the UK, but harder to get in?

Nope it's the reverse.

Due to the change in university fee, in that University are not restricted by government guidelines on charging. They can now charge up to £9000 more.

Depending on arbitrary standards (reputation, staff, accreditation etc etc ).

On the other hand, if you are applying for a none-Cambridge/Oxford/Imperial War College/other prestige universities you will certainly be accepted, even without all the additional government scholarships, Hardship funds, grants/loans and minority advantage.

If you are an Oversea student its very easy, provided you pass the mandatory English language test if you are a citizen outside the European Union.

Since they are allowed to charge more and is traditionally one of the major influx of revenues, of course with the new lifting of restrictions they can charge more now.

To put this is prospective, when I first started University in 1999-2000, I was charged national rate which was roughly £1000-£1500. by 2004 it has risen to £1500-£2000, by the time I graduated it was hovering around £3000.

On the other hand, oversea students (outside EU) had to pay roughly £9000, this sharply rose to £11000-£12000 (depending on course) by 2008.

Considering I attended a technical University which was known for its Business and Design courses, I can not imagine what the cost would be like for the established University that bears the City's name. )Which is well known for it's biotechnology and sumthing else I've forgot about).

So the short version is that, it should be easier to apply and be given offers at a British University, but you must be prepared to pay the price.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

^ yo oni tell me more of this Europe Union thing. I just came back from Italy and alot of museums I went to gives tickets half price if your a member of this EU.

baka baka baka
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

b0mb3r wrote:^ yo oni tell me more of this Europe Union thing. I just came back from Italy and alot of museums I went to gives tickets half price if your a member of this EU.
The European Union, to put it in a simplistic terms, is a "Commonwealth" of Independent European countries.
It is an political entity that are held together by the Treaty of Lisbon with favourable trade and border control treaties with political representatives that can issue guidelines and enforce with soft political power.

It also has a standardised tax and monetary system, but not all commonwealth political entities have these, take for example the modern British Commonwealth of Independent Nations, with 57 members which includes Canada and Australia. also member nations do not have to agree to the unified monetary system such as the United Kingdom.

Governance wise, it is different from a federate system such as the USA in that each nation have independent governance in both domestic and foreign policies along side the treaties it signed in it's relationship within the E.U. the unified "government" has no overarching "federate" power over any member nation.
it has a "European Council" based in Brussels is the legal forum for ractifying and creating of trade and legal treaties of the European Union, there is a "President" which is voted in by all member of the E.U. The candidates are drawn from each member countries of the appropriate departments.
I.e. President candidates are drawn from Prime Ministers and/or other political Head of State, (this can include monarchies which has political powers, but there is no example to which I can think of at the moment). For secretary of finance will be drawn from the financial ministries/department of each member countries and etc etc etc.

The head of this European council has exclusive power over negotiation of treaty changes that affect the E.U.and as a independent judicial in dispute within the European Union. But the President does not represent or dictate the political views of all member nations.
Take for example, while the majority of the member countries have agreed on the principles and stance of the "War on Terrorism" a minority of member countries have taken a political stance of "neutrality", which is acceptable as long as it does not interfere to the binding trade & economical treaties of the E.U.

It has it's own military, in the Military of the European Union and European Rapid Reaction Force which is(will?) held together by the treaty of Common Security and Defence.

Basically, while it is a unified military organisation made from the member countries who sign the treaty, but the concept of defence coverage will apply to all member nation whether they sign the treaty/contribute a number of their military power or not.

I.e. A western Balkan member nation might not of signed the unified E.U. military treaty, but if they require military assistant which their own nation military cannot handle it can request help from the unified Military of the European Union.

Also it does not have to answer or accept legal or military assistance of any other member countries or that of the combined E.U.
i.e. If there was such a thing as a European Union F.B.I they will not have any legal jurisdiction in any members country except as advisers.
Super-national organisation such as Interpol which is a "commonwealth" system, whom members are all voluntary and co-operate a flow of judicial information.
In the case of judicial matters, they are held domestically but if there is a ruling that a citizen thinks or the judicial process require help it can ask the E.U. Court of Justice for guidance which can draw legal advice from any Judge in all member states. In the case that the citizen does not agree with the ruling of it's nations justice results they can appeal in the E.U. court of Justice which if invoked will be a Last Appeal. All results will be final and the court will comprise of any Judge drawn from any member state and will be judged on the E.U. common agreements & treaties of legal and constitutional rights which each member state mush sign to be accepted into the E.U.
I.e. abolishment of Capital punishment.

So basically to answer your last questions, if you were from Germany you can apply to attend a British University and have only to pay the price of a home student and not that of a Foreign student for the entire course or do only one year and return back to their own universities. This number of perks depends on the relationship of the common agreements between each individual universities.

This also means crossing of national borders within the E.U. are "Open" in that it is hassle free.As a British subject I can travel to France, Sweden or one of this western Balkan nations without a Visa and can stay there with no paperwork (depends on the nation some might require one or two). I.e. No Work permits or Student permits.
All E.U. member citizens will get some sort of perk within the European Union all part of the Treaties.

Well, you could say it's a Treaty Union! :]

@Onizukademongto
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Man Oni what the hell do you do for a living again?

baka baka baka

Return to “Commune”