College: How do you pay for it?

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Poke2201
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: College: How do you pay for it?

Post by Poke2201 »

Shit you people are so damn smart...

Makes my 1830 on the SAT seem really horrible...

But I haven't gotten PSAT results, so hopefully, that would be lucky for me.

Anyone know of UC San Diego or Berkley giving good scholarships?
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Poke2201 wrote:
Makes my 1830 on the SAT seem really horrible...
poke if it makes u feel any better I never passed my SAT (below 1500). so how do I go to college? one that doesn't ask for it. :mrgreen:

baka baka baka
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Sort of, but considering my chosen career path kinda depends on the school I go to, (Lets face it an Engineer from UC Berkley is more desirable than an engineer from some smaller unknown school), kind of makes you wonder right?

I must be turning emo, because that sound like WAAAANGST.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Someone here wants to study law or medecine, I would say that McGill university is maybe the cheapest of all.

McGill isn't a bad school (18th rank) and the fees are extremely low, since the Quebec governement kinda finances a lot, unlike other places. Of course, you might be distracted with bars opened until 3 in the morning, but it's fairly well. Not to mention that it's in downtown, with the subway passing every 3 minutes during the rush. The living cost depends on where you're living, but with the subway system there, you can go at school in peace. I think that it's about 10-15 K, or maybe less for international students.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Zell_ff8
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

just saw this topics and makes me think how its possibly to not have free education in such developed countries :S
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Because Colleges arent exactly considered compulsory education.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

And the gouvernment doesn't have money.
Kira0802

Zell_ff8
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

kira0802 wrote:And the gouvernment doesn't have money.
exactly. most of northern countries are rich. don't tell me USA gov hasn't money. why doesn't the people demands it to be free? they could cut from defense and give something to education, i guess...

well if someone want to do a career degree at 0 cost and don't mind learning spanish you're welcome to argentina :D
public tertiary institutes and universities are completely free for the full length (done at schedule or extending it anything you want). you should only care about life costs, transport and photocopies, but if you get allowance from home the convert rate will make you Richie Rich. public transportation is cheap (subway is 0.27u$s -only in the capital- and buses never go more than 1$). almost every institution has scholarships and economical aid for transport, free study materials or even food, but are scarce and directed to really needed students (I have a classmate that lives in an iron sheet room and eats in a communal refuge, but yet he is well on 3rd year of an engineering career O_o)

visa is also no problem, argentina is foreigners-friendly, you can get citincenship and full civil rights with 2 years of residence (even illegal inmigrants can be nationalized with just the residence requisite O_o). just tedious paperwork.
ah, public health service is also free, collapsed, but free xD

the main difference about public (free) and private (ridiculously expensive) universities is infrastructure and equipment. public universities have a good recogniced level but if you want to study hard experimental sciences you can't compare them with japan, UK or USA ones...
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Hum...it's a bit different than what you think.

The US has around a billion US$ of debt to China. And only to China. The US aren't rich, but the companies and the people are. The US are printing money so that it's value goes down so the debt they have may go down, in other countries' detriment. Don't think that the US are all-powerful, or else there wouldn't be the recession.
Kira0802

Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

However, the US is economically powerful. If the US is gone, the economy will be quite nearly destroyed because the US is a major Consumer of goods, and countries make money by exporting their goods to the US.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Exactly. The US are a 300-million people country, and the consuming is great too. You can't expect making money by only exporting to Lebannon. The Americans are extremely powerful, and no matter how much the COUNTRY is poor, the PEOPLE is still rich. That's the greatest effect of capitalism.
Kira0802

Zell_ff8
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

I'm bad at economy so I find it hard to understand. Supposedly the state is everyone, if the state goes fine its members go fine, if it goes down all go down.

At least that's how I see it here. If the government goes fine, it means more stability and social welfare (education, security, health, transport, infrastructure, prevision). If its short of money then there comes the cuts to the services.

Then what happens in USA with taxes and money from contributors? Isn't education and health funds come from taxes? With so many habitants and so advanced technology and industries I find it hard to comprehend. :?: Isn't it enough? I thought it had a sustainable economy :S
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I'm still in HS, so please don't blame me if I'm wrong.

Greece. Spain. Portugal. Ireland. These countries are all broke, but the people are rich. Though the US aren't at that point, it is the people who has money, and the country spends his own by collecting taxes.
Kira0802

Return to “Commune”