Rethinking China's one-child policy,,and Terraforming

All non Baka-Tsuki related topics

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

chrnno
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Rethinking China's one-child policy,,and Terraforming

Post by chrnno »

b0mb3r wrote:Well if Steven Hawkings says we need to get the f*ck out of Earth, we get the f*ck out.
Getting out is easy, staying alive after that is the hard part... :lol:
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Re: Rethinking China's one-child policy

Post by Rectifier »

chrnno wrote:Everything you said is merely aplying existing technologies in new ways. None of them were a complete revolution about everything we know in space. I didn't say it was impossible just that it would take more than a few decades(that assuming we don't kill ourselves before that) to work.
Technology has been changing more quickly than ever, and will continue to do so until the Technological Singularity, case in point, Moore's Law.
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Rethinking China's one-child policy,,and Terraforming

Post by b0mb3r »

or wait for aliens to contact us and jack their ship.

baka baka baka
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

Rectifier wrote:
chrnno wrote:Everything you said is merely aplying existing technologies in new ways. None of them were a complete revolution about everything we know in space. I didn't say it was impossible just that it would take more than a few decades(that assuming we don't kill ourselves before that) to work.
Technology has been changing more quickly than ever, and will continue to do so until the Technological Singularity, case in point, Moore's Law.
Indeed but you see that kind of thing is not the kind of thing that appears in one day. It's just like what people decades ago thought there would be in 2000. Most of those are thing that are still merely a dream yet there are also lots of inventions that are normal today that didn't even cross their minds.

My point is, technology is not made of jumps but is a river that sometimes flows quickly other times slowly but you gotta go with the flow, you can't simply jump intermediary technologies.
b0mb3r wrote:or wait for aliens to contact us and jack their ship.
Assuming we would even understand it enough to fly it...
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

chrnno wrote:
b0mb3r wrote:or wait for aliens to contact us and jack their ship.
Assuming we would even understand it enough to fly it...
have you seen the movies? we somehow always miraculously able to drive alien ships when the situations calls for it.

baka baka baka
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

b0mb3r wrote:
chrnno wrote:Assuming we would even understand it enough to fly it...
have you seen the movies? we somehow always miraculously able to drive alien ships when the situations calls for it.
But for one to drive them one would have to get inside first, get rid of the alien trying to stop us(which with such inferior technology is probably impossible) then actually finding the place where one controls the ship but that's assuming there is such a place. I mean the ship could be simply auto-pilloted or all the aliens have devices that link their brains directly into the ship's system removing any need for a central command...

And that's barely beggining to state the problems one would have to face before one could even try to drive it... :wink:
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

chrnno wrote:
b0mb3r wrote:
But for one to drive them one would have to get inside first, get rid of the alien trying to stop us(which with such inferior technology is probably impossible) then actually finding the place where one controls the ship but that's assuming there is such a place. I mean the ship could be simply auto-pilloted or all the aliens have devices that link their brains directly into the ship's system removing any need for a central command...

And that's barely beggining to state the problems one would have to face before one could even try to drive it... :wink:
To me if an alien ship can travel this far to earth it solves one of the problem with current space traveling: radiation. Our earth gives us a natural magnetic field to protects us from the sun rays. If we stay in space over two weeks without an atmosphere to protect us we get the poisoning. Maybe we can reverse engineer the ship and learn hyperdrive or something. This is wishful thinking.

baka baka baka
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

b0mb3r wrote:To me if an alien ship can travel this far to earth it solves one of the problem with current space traveling: radiation. Our earth gives us a natural magnetic field to protects us from the sun rays. If we stay in space over two weeks without an atmosphere to protect us we get the poisoning. Maybe we can reverse engineer the ship and learn hyperdrive or something. This is wishful thinking.
Extremely wishful thinking... Imagine giving a bunch of technology from today then travelling back five hundred years and see if anyone can understand it.

Off course the chances of meeting an alien ship is so small that managing to completely reverse engineer it sounds plausible in comparation...

Return to “Commune”