Zero no Tsukaima (Italian)

For all None English discussion relating to any of our Novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Note to Users of this forum, that you may speak English or any other language here.

Want to start an Alternative Language project here? Read This: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1822
rufio87
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Zero no Tsukaima (Italian)

Post by rufio87 »

As this is my first forum entry I would like to thank everyone from Baka-Tsuki. You are doing a wonderful work, keep it up! As a token of gratitude I decided to help you "spread the word" translating Zero No Tsukaima in my language (which is, if you haven't read the title, Italian).

Anyway, let's get back to work. I would like to ask the translator of the series some questions to improve my work. So, let us begin.

1- I deceided to go with the english name of the spell for the first chapter (i.e. 'Summon Servant') because the translation doesn't sound too good in italian (I don't like too much 'Evoca servo'). I would like to know if the spell were originally in english or not because I kinda recall some english spell in the anime.

2- Colbert. It's ok when Osmond calls him "Mister" but shouldn't Louise and the other call him "Professor"?

3- Osmond. I have a huge problem here. Everyone refers at his as "Old Osmond" but if you say "vecchio" (old in italian) here is really rude. I was thinking about changing it into "Direttore" or "Preside" (I'd go for the latter since each one is for the head of the school but the second one is more for high school).

4- Probably no one could answer this unless is Italian but I'll give it a try anyway. "Commoner" in Italian could be translated into "Cittadino comune" but when you're adressing someone you would only say "cittadino" that means pretty much "citizen". The only thing I could think is to leave it that way and remember that, in Medieval ages, nobles would live in Castles while common people would live in the cities. Do you think I should put a note or try to find some other term?

I think that's all for now. I would like to thank you for your time.

P.s.: can anyone explain me how to put the jpgs in the chapter? I still have to find a good word for that "Kisu!" but as soon as I know how to put it up I will find a solution.

Ciao!
Dante wrote:La Commedia
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

its easy to put pictures inthe chapter, asimply go to the english chapters and copy the codes used for that picture, as the jpg have already been uploaded.

in this case it is:

Code: Select all

<center>[[Image:ZNT-page-019.jpg|thumb|KISU!]]</center>
Just change the word "kisu" to another word for te caption.

as you can see the tag "image:" all you have to do is find the name of the imagesi n the wiki database.
you can find it by studying the images that are presented in the ZNT image pages.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Re: ZnT Italian version

Post by Vaelis »

rufio87 wrote:4- Probably no one could answer this unless is Italian but I'll give it a try anyway. "Commoner" in Italian could be translated into "Cittadino comune" but when you're adressing someone you would only say "cittadino" that means pretty much "citizen". The only thing I could think is to leave it that way and remember that, in Medieval ages, nobles would live in Castles while common people would live in the cities. Do you think I should put a note or try to find some other term?
Plebei ?
rufio87
Project Translator

Post by rufio87 »

Vaelis wrote:
rufio87 wrote:4- Probably no one could answer this unless is Italian but I'll give it a try anyway. "Commoner" in Italian could be translated into "Cittadino comune" but when you're adressing someone you would only say "cittadino" that means pretty much "citizen". The only thing I could think is to leave it that way and remember that, in Medieval ages, nobles would live in Castles while common people would live in the cities. Do you think I should put a note or try to find some other term?
Plebei ?
Don't know why I couldn't think about that. Grazie mille, davvero!
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

rufio87 wrote:3- Osmond. I have a huge problem here. Everyone refers at his as "Old Osmond" but if you say "vecchio" (old in italian) here is really rude. I was thinking about changing it into "Direttore" or "Preside" (I'd go for the latter since each one is for the head of the school but the second one is more for high school).
Venerati ?
rufio87
Project Translator

Post by rufio87 »

Vaelis wrote:
rufio87 wrote:3- Osmond. I have a huge problem here. Everyone refers at his as "Old Osmond" but if you say "vecchio" (old in italian) here is really rude. I was thinking about changing it into "Direttore" or "Preside" (I'd go for the latter since each one is for the head of the school but the second one is more for high school).
Venerati ?
Mmh I guess you mean "Venerabile". That would work, I think but it does seem a little too "holy" to me, at least (Venerable would be the translation in English).
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

rufio87 wrote:Mmh I guess you mean "Venerabile".
Oops sorry (well I don't speak Italian at all ^^)
That would work, I think but it does seem a little too "holy" to me, at least (Venerable would be the translation in English).
Hmm indeed.
And "Senior" doesn't really works :? (or a translation of Elder)
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

rufio87 wrote: 1- I deceided to go with the english name of the spell for the first chapter (i.e. 'Summon Servant') because the translation doesn't sound too good in italian (I don't like too much 'Evoca servo'). I would like to know if the spell were originally in english or not because I kinda recall some english spell in the anime.

2- Colbert. It's ok when Osmond calls him "Mister" but shouldn't Louise and the other call him "Professor"?

Ciao!
1 - The names of the spell was in Japanese, such as "flame burst!" or something, but were written in katakana script for a flair of exotic-ness.

Basically, it's like English using latin names for english words.

Best suggestion is to use old, formal or royal style Italian, if there is such a thing.

2) Japanese style is to address someone of rank and respect by their profession, so as you know when you address your tutor at school they will call them "Teacher".

however in European and general western society they address a teacher with "Mr." followed by the surname.

In Z.N.T this is the format they seem to follow, i suppose to a Japanese reader it gives the settings of the story a more "Western/European" something different from Japanese society.

I suggest you just address them as you see it, such as "Mr Colbert" when appropriate, ranked royalty/nobles are of course a different matter.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
rufio87
Project Translator

Post by rufio87 »

onizuka-gto wrote: 1 - The names of the spell was in Japanese, such as "flame burst!" or something, but were written in katakana script for a flair of exotic-ness.

Best suggestion is to use old, formal or royal style Italian, if there is such a thing.
Mmh...I never thought about saying this but...would you think it's a good idea to translate directly the names of the spell in latin? For example 'Summon Servant' could be 'Evocare mancipium' or 'Evocare servum' or 'Evocare famulum' (the 3 are all names for servant as you probably already guessed). I don't like too much latin (as I hated it for the 5 years of high school) but as long as I have to translate only some very short sentences (like the spells) I think I can be able to do it. Italian derives pretty much directly from latin, you know. And, moreover, as I didn't read too much old literature, 95% of the words used by Dante Alighieri in his masterpiece, 'La Commedia' (named 'La Divina Commedia' only after Boccaccio suggested it) are still used nowadays. And we're talking about 1200-1300, so there's not a huge different between 'old style' italian and 'new style'. (Let me show that I studied a bit, it's not like I only read manga everyday...oh wait, maybe it is!).

Anyway if you think that the latin idea could work and if you feel like using in the english script too I would spend some time translating the name of the spell if some good soul decides to rewrite the spell in this topic.

Too long. Sorry if you are bothered.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

rufio87 wrote:
onizuka-gto wrote: 1 - The names of the spell was in Japanese, such as "flame burst!" or something, but were written in katakana script for a flair of exotic-ness.

Mmh...I never thought about saying this but...would you think it's a good idea to translate directly the names of the spell in latin? For example 'Summon Servant' could be 'Evocare mancipium' or 'Evocare servum' or 'Evocare famulum' (the 3 are all names for servant as you probably already guessed). I don't like too much latin (as I hated it for the 5 years of high school) but as long as I have to translate only some very short sentences (like the spells) I think I can be able to do it. Italian derives pretty much directly from latin, you know. And, moreover, as I didn't read too much old literature, 95% of the words used by Dante Alighieri in his masterpiece, 'La Commedia' (named 'La Divina Commedia' only after Boccaccio suggested it) are still used nowadays. And we're talking about 1200-1300, so there's not a huge different between 'old style' italian and 'new style'. (Let me show that I studied a bit, it's not like I only read manga everyday...oh wait, maybe it is!).

Anyway if you think that the latin idea could work and if you feel like using in the english script too I would spend some time translating the name of the spell if some good soul decides to rewrite the spell in this topic.

Too long. Sorry if you are bothered.
well I did argue for the case, to have the names of the spells translated into latin like words, but i was voted out by the people, by the reason that not many people can read and understand latin (myself included) and it would be much easier to keep them as it is, so that readers don't have to remember what the spells do.

:roll:

well the people hath spoken....
but that's for the English script, since your the only staff working on the Italian version its up to you, if your uncertain just put a poll up on the forum, lets the readers decided, that usually solves everything.

I like being lazy ( which probably makes you wonder what I'm I doing here D: )

:)

@Onizukademongto
rufio87
Project Translator

Post by rufio87 »

I have another question to ask (jeez, I'm really annoying!)

In chapter 2, when Saito sees the familiars in the lecture room he asks Louise "Then what about that octopus thing?" and Louise answers: "A Skua".

Looking around on the net I found that a Skua is "Any of several large predatory sea birds of the genus Catharacta related to the jaeger, especially the great skua". If it's a bird how come it's an "octopus thing"? I am a little confused.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

rufio87 wrote:I have another question to ask (jeez, I'm really annoying!)

In chapter 2, when Saito sees the familiars in the lecture room he asks Louise "Then what about that octopus thing?" and Louise answers: "A Skua".
In fact it's Sukyua (スキュア) and it doesn't seem to exist.

(and it's not Skua (トウゾクカモメ) ^^)
rufio87
Project Translator

Post by rufio87 »

I'm pretty hopeless, I know. Anyway I would need your help, again.

Could you please explain me the what exactly the nickname of Malicorne 'The Windward' means? I mean, I know the translation but I don't think that would be any good. I adapted it into 'Il Guardiano del vento' that, pretty much is 'The wind guardian' but I'm ready to change it as soon as you say it's not right. Waiting for your explanation (you're free to say that I'm troublesome, if you want to. Gomen ne - I hope I wrote it right.).

Arigatou (I hope i wrote that right, too)
rufio87
Project Translator

Post by rufio87 »

I don't get a sentence in chapter 4. I can't get the exact meaning. It's

"He felt like he was deceiving the good-natured man."

Ok, the first "He" refers to Marteau. But I have some trouble with the rest. However I came up with 2 possible interpretations:

1 - Saito (he) was just joking with Marteau (good-natured man).
2 - Marteau (he) was corrupting Saito (good-natured man).

I guess the first one should be the best but I'm not really sure. Could you please help me out? Grazie mille
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

rufio87 wrote:"He felt like he was deceiving the good-natured man."
"He (Saito) felt like he (Saito) was deceiving the good-natured man (Marteau)."

Deceiving isn't really "joking".

And when you will translate the next chapter (chapter 5) don't use the available translation.
Use the "cross-reference" part that can be seen when you try to edit the page of the chapter.

Return to “Alternative Language Forum”