Workload Distrubution

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Workload Distrubution

Post by onizuka-gto »

Hello, this thread is the discussion for distrubution of workload.

Translators, and editors will be listed here and the work they will be doing.

At this moment in time, Baka-Tsuki have one translator available,

Sushi-Y

:P

Editors, are in theory uncountable,/ but I will select a number of them as this project is unusual and we have yet to discuss where the scripts will be hosted so it can be accessed and edited. If it is hosted on Baka-Tsuki, our Wiki system can easily support that number of Editors.

Roughly i'am looking for a typical Baka-Tsuki Editorial team of eight to twelve, and I will get back to you when I have completed the selection.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

I have
- 3 translators
- 1 typesetter
- 1 qc/editor
- 1 cg artist
available

Here is a typesetting suggestion FOR PNG RELEASES
Spoiler! :
it's not edited or so...Just want to have opinions as for me styles matter a lot (sorry its an obsession of mine XD)
Last edited by Kawool on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I'am not experienced in typesetting so therefore If your suggestion is that this typeset in acceptable I will default to your reconmmendation.

As for status of my team I have two editors ready, three including me.

Edit: I would just like to add, that our strong points of Baka-Tsuki is our fast editorial teams, combined with our wiki system.

It has come to my attention that our system can create hidden, read-restricted pages.

what this means is that we can use the advantages of our site, the ability to aloow alot of users to edit the page, but with the security of secrecy, and als oprovide a quick way to discuss the points of the edits.

Therefore we can use all members of the editoral team from all groups, to ensure the scripts are processed efficiently.

However this has yet to be implimented into our system, I have contact theBig boss of Baka-Tsuki about this.

I will keep you inform of this development.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

Ok well i have found 3 cg artists to color the scans

i asked to the translators ...think i could handle chapters 1-4 but i would like to see others talk more bout it ...
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by the_naming_game »

Use of preliminary translation?
@Kawool:
Is it ok if I use the preliminary translation in the sample for discussion here? I can just use the text if you don't want the sample link to be public. I'll just credit it to an "unnamed Kuroneko translator."

typesetting
If obsessed, here's a link you may find interesting:
http://www.dsiegel.com/tips/wonk7/vertical.html
There are way too many blank lines on the Web. The big problem with blank lines is that when you use them for everything, their meaning goes away. …

Indent paragraphs that should stick together to form a complete train of thought. In this context, you can then space down to form a break between sections. …
I tend to agree with his view, when it comes to lots of text.

One other principle I think is important is controlling the left edge. The left edge of the proposal is flat, with only line breaks. Yet it seems like there is a kind of "paragraphs within paragraphs" thing going on.

The way things are now, You can't immediately fixate on paragraph beginnings without doing some right edge scanning as well. And right edges of text are pretty messy. Left edges, line spacing, and line breaks are the only things we have complete control over.
  • I consider full justification evil just because the word rhythm gets subtly put off by the differences in spacing for each line. Full justification looks better, but is harder to read.
Here are a few different variations on indented paragraphs.
I did a bit of light editing while I was typing it in (couldn't help it), but it should still be possible to compare.
Spoiler! :
(Note: the first two examples were done following the paragraph breaks in the original text.)

No line space between paragraphs. This makes section breaks very obvious, from the contrast. I like this because the regular line rhythm makes reading very easy.

This uses 1.6 linespacing -- or an extra 0.6 of a line between paragraphs. I don't like this one as much, but it's still not bad. Extra line spacing breaks rhythm, and the indents don't stand out as much. However, 1.6 is better to my eye than a full line space, e.g. 2.0 line spacing.

I tried to use the same paragraphs as the sample, but with the inner paragraphs formatted using indentation, and line spacing for the outer paragraphs.
I used html with css for typesetting, since I wasn't doing anything fancy. The source is in the spoiler. You can control print layout with css, by the way. So it has some pdf-like advantages as well.
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"> 
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
<head>
<title>formatting test</title>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
<!-- css /*{{{*/ -->
<style type="text/css">
body {
	font: 16pt "Times New Roman", Garamond;
}

p {
	text-indent: 1.3em;
	text-align: justify;
	text-align: left;
	margin: 0 0 0 0;
}

div.x {
	padding: 75px;
	width: 795px;
	width: 675px;
	border: 1px solid gray;
	margin-bottom: 75px;
}

div.para_sp_l3 p {
	margin: 0 0 0.6em 0;
}

div.meta_para_sp_l3 div.p {
	margin: 0 0 0.6em 0;
}

p.center {
	width: 100%;
	text-align: center;
	margin: 0 0 1.5em 0;
}
</style>
<!-- css /*}}}*/ -->
</head>
<body>

<!-- (take 1) /*{{{*/-->
<div class="x">
<p class="center">‘I'm a familiar spirit ’</p>
<p>“Who are you?”</p>
<p>The girl who looked steadily into Saito's face said, with the blue sky which looked like it would fall out behind her. She looks like about Saito's age. She is wearing a white blouse, and a gray pleated skirt under a black cape… She stoops down and is looking into his face as if she has been disgusted.</p>
<p>Her face is… cute. Her eyes of reddish brown dance with her strawberry blonde hair and her white flawless skin for a stage. She looks like a foreigner. Well, she is. She is such a cute foreign girl, like a doll. Or is she a half?</p>
<p>Regarding her uniform, he wonders which school it belongs to. He has never seen it before.</p>
<p>Saito seems to be lying on his back on the ground. He lifts his head up to look around.</p>
<p>There are a lot of people with black capes, looking at him as a stranger. A rich grassy plain is there endlessly. He notices a huge castle made with stone walls in the distance, just like he has seen in a European trip photograph.</p>
<p>This is just like a fantasy.</p>
</div>
<!-- /*}}}*/ -->

<!-- take 2) /*{{{*/-->
<div class="x">
<div class="para_sp_l3">
<p>“Who are you?”</p>
<p>The girl who looked steadily into Saito's face said, with the blue sky which looked like it would fall out behind her. She looks like about Saito's age. She is wearing a white blouse, and a gray pleated skirt under a black cape… She stoops down and is looking into his face as if she has been disgusted.</p>
<p>Her face is… cute. Her eyes of reddish brown dance with her strawberry blonde hair and her white flawless skin for a stage. She looks like a foreigner. Well, she is. She is such a cute foreign girl, like a doll. Or is she a half?</p>
<p>Regarding her uniform, he wonders which school it belongs to. He has never seen it before.</p>
<p>Saito seems to be lying on his back on the ground. He lifts his head up to look around.</p>
<p>There are a lot of people with black capes, looking at him as a stranger. A rich grassy plain is there endlessly. He notices a huge castle made with stone walls in the distance, just like he has seen in a European trip photograph.</p>
</div>
</div>
<!-- /*}}}*/ -->

<!-- (take 3) /*{{{*/-->
<div class="x">
<div class="meta_para_sp_l3">
<div class="p">
<p>“Who are you?”</p>
<p>The girl who looked steadily into Saito's face said, with the blue sky which looked like it would fall out behind her.</p>
<p>She looks like about Saito's age.</p>
<p>She is wearing a white blouse, and a gray pleated skirt under a black cape… She stoops down and is looking into his face as if she has been disgusted.</p>
</div>
<div class="p">
<p>Her face is… cute. Her eyes of reddish brown dance with her strawberry blonde hair and her white flawless skin for a stage.</p>
<p>She looks like a foreigner. Well, she is. She is such a cute foreign girl, like a doll. Or is she a half?</p>
</div>
<div class="p">
</div>
<div class="p">
<p>There are a lot of people with black capes, looking at him as a stranger.</p>
<p>A rich grassy plain is there endlessly.</p>
<p>He notices a huge castle made with stone walls in the distance, just like he has seen in a European trip photograph.</p>
</div>
<div class="p">
</div>
</div>
</div>
<!-- /*}}}*/ -->

</body>
</html>
Seeing the nice logo on the top of of the sample page made me wish for a pdf version, though, to be able to print out a crisp laser printed version of it.

Editing team:
So who do I have to bribe (And with what...) to get on the editing team? I promise I'll make lots of "holy, beautiful, and above all, most powerful" edits, yes? But "8-12" is a fairly large number, so hopefully I can be squeezed in somewhere.

Even if this does end up with a restricted editing team, I hope it still uses the wiki as an editing medium.

Edit: my html wasn't valid XHTML; fixed.
Last edited by the_naming_game on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

naming_game rest asured you have been added to the editorial team.

As for status of our wiki.
unfortunately, we have been experiencng some difficulty adjusting the wiki to have read-restricted access to certain pages.

we have just updated our wiki with the latest patch, and this prevents the applying the restriction functions.

We are working on an alternative solution, but at the moment I propose we use this forum to be the place to exchange the scripts for editing.

Either way i dod not see this delaying the project, as long as all the translators have the required mateirals to translate, then now is a good time to start.

as soon as we get the script, we we begin to work on it, and establish the phrases we need to standardalize, if you are unfamiliar with this, it is a system we use at baka-Tsuki to make sure all the scripts from diffferent translators are consistant and can be quickly formated to an agreed standard.

Therefore the Translators can translate as fast as possible, without the hassle of trying to correct themselves.

We let the editors here do all the hard work.

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I have just contacted Se-chan, and he has quoted me his contribution of manpower:

two translators
two editors
one typesetters
four proofreaders
two quality checkers.

So, who's going to do the first chapter?

Edit: I have had a long discussion with Se-chan from Kawaii heaven.

She has agreed with K.neko on the .png format, but also she has entertained the idea about a pdf release as well.

As for translations, she agrees with the two translator per chapter.

One from K.Neko and another from K.neko.

At this moment Sushi-Y is busy with her real life so is unable to join in at the moment, so at this moment it is best that she will be given later chapters.

As for editorsa, we have a mammoth number of 14 editors.

I would like then to please post here, those who wish to edit the first chapter.

For the record all my editors wish to do the first chapters, i have yet to determine how many we should allow on one chapter, but once i know how many are availble now, the soon i can organise it.

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Considering two translators per chapter.

how is the work going to be split?

How many pages per translator?

Some answers I just wish to know.

@Onizukademongto
Sushi-Y
Astral Realm

Post by Sushi-Y »

I just finished vol.7 summary, and that's that for a while.

Now, as for the novel workload... It's probably obvious to tackle them by the chapter (generally about 30 pages). Personally, I would prefer taking chapters by myself, because I don't like stopping halfway through something.

As for who will do the actual chapters, it's a group decision.

For example, there are 8 chapters in vol.1, it would be best to first assign the chapters to their respective translators before doing anything else.

We need a list of all the translators from all teams. Then distribute their names across the chapters that need to be translated.

For example, for vol.1
==================
Kingdom of Magic
Chapter 1 - Translator no.1, Translator no.2
Chapter 2 - Translator no.3, Translator no.4
Chapter 3 - Translator no.5

Gandalfr
Chapter 2 - Translator no.1, Translator no.2
Chapter 3 - Translator no.3, Translator no.4
Chapter 4 - Translator no.5
Chapter 5 - Translator no.3, Translator no.4
=================
Something like that. The translation scripts should probably be posted somewhere around here too, where the editors can take a look at them and begin editing, while the proofreaders can do their works too.

The priority right now is obviously vol.1 (as much as I would love to start by translating vol.8 ^^; ), so figure out who needs to do what.

I can probably take a couple of chapters on my own. If you guys want to pick for me, go ahead. I can also take whatever's left over after the other translators have chose what they want to do.
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

@the_naming_game
Use of preliminary translation?
@Kawool:
Is it ok if I use the preliminary translation in the sample for discussion here? I can just use the text if you don't want the sample link to be public. I'll just credit it to an "unnamed Kuroneko translator."
Text ok, credits to Yuko.
typesetting
If obsessed, here's a link you may find interesting:
http://www.dsiegel.com/tips/wonk7/vertical.html
Quote:
There are way too many blank lines on the Web. The big problem with blank lines is that when you use them for everything, their meaning goes away. …
Indent paragraphs that should stick together to form a complete train of thought. In this context, you can then space down to form a break between sections. …

I tend to agree with his view, when it comes to lots of text.
I beg to differ, btw on png you dont use html or css. Such a typesetting is for me just eyesore and not appealing.

@Se-chan

The fonts i have used are called cartoonist simple and lacartoonerie , i could also make a psd sample to make thing easier as i used a brush under the title.

@onizuka-gto

As for the pdf version, i cannot work on it for two reasons, i dont like that much pdf and well with fansubs i just dont have the times.

Regarding the scans, i have so far already 3 colored scans, so i guess i could take care of that if all are ok with it of course.

@Sushi-y

Well my translators are quite busy too this week, i think one translator per chapter is the best solution, a bi-weekly or weekly release could make everybody happy without rushing anyone. You schedule-type is quite great.
I'll ask my translators if one can tl chapter one, but if anyone have a translator available, let us know. But we should really think about it asap.

@all the madhouse peeps

do you guys have msn ?
Se-chan
Astral Realm

Post by Se-chan »

Okay, here goes...

Sure, k-neko. Send me the PSD file so I can see what I can do. It's preset work right?

The fontfaces, I can't easily find. Can you try linking me where to get them?

Secondly, the TL's should pick the chaps of their liking...
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

I will email them to you later today

as for letting translators choosing which chapters ...sure its nice but well what if no one want to tl chapter one or so ? it's not such a great idea
Sushi can you tl chapter one or not ?

Also i created a chan called #[email protected] , key is whip lol
i'll be mostly busy today and tomorrow sorry.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I agree, if we allow translators to pick chapters they like, there will obviously be chapters not picked.

We should either pre-select the translators for each chapters, make it fair. If a translator wish to do another chaper then the one they were assigned to, they may do so as long as they have arranged with the translators of the intended chapter to swap.

To kawool, I understand your concern about PDF, but our readers will want a wiki release, or at leased a pdf.

How about this, i do not propose that we do an official pdf release along side the one that we have agreed upon, but would you allow us personally to release it ourselves? a seperate release of the finished edited script by our own staff?

You must understand that while you wish to release it in the format you are more familiar with, it is not the same for us, while your readers/viewers are used to graphic releases, our readers are not.

We must have a release in either on our wiki, or a pdf. or it will not reflect a Baka-Tsuki involvment, and an insult to our readers who enjoy our format, and have been waiting for ZnT.

Of course we will be commited to help with the main graphic release, and that if you agree to any wiki or pdf release as well from my group, we will release the wiki/pdf version at the same time as the official format.

After all, once the main translation is done, all that will be need to do is finish the graphics for the official release.

Thus our members will be free to provide you with any other help, to ensure the release is on time.

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ok kawool,

Obviously, i did not read your post in the news section, before I posted here.

I assume we all agreed on a simutanious png/wiki format release, so with that sorted, i'am ready to go.

I have to bring in the new editors so, when ever you are ready.

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Sushi-Y wrote:I just finished vol.7 summary, and that's that for a while.

Now, as for the novel workload... It's probably obvious to tackle them by the chapter (generally about 30 pages). Personally, I would prefer taking chapters by myself, because I don't like stopping halfway through something.

As for who will do the actual chapters, it's a group decision.

For example, there are 8 chapters in vol.1, it would be best to first assign the chapters to their respective translators before doing anything else.

We need a list of all the translators from all teams. Then distribute their names across the chapters that need to be translated.

For example, for vol.1
==================
Kingdom of Magic
Chapter 2 - Translator no.3, Translator no.4
Chapter 3 - Translator no.5

Gandalfr
Chapter 2 - Translator no.1, Translator no.2
Chapter 3 - Translator no.3, Translator no.4
Chapter 4 - Translator no.5
Chapter 5 - Translator no.3, Translator no.4
=================
Something like that. The translation scripts should probably be posted somewhere around here too, where the editors can take a look at them and begin editing, while the proofreaders can do their works too.

The priority right now is obviously vol.1 (as much as I would love to start by translating vol.8 ^^; ), so figure out who needs to do what.

I can probably take a couple of chapters on my own. If you guys want to pick for me, go ahead. I can also take whatever's left over after the other translators have chose what they want to do.

nice, i think i'll nick that, but I think we will random assign translators to each chapters, this will prevent mad scrambles for chapters, and none assigned to others.

Its the best way, and if i did not pick a chapter you want, well, i'm sorry.

As i do not know any of the translators, and sushi-y has made no claim to any prefered chapters (except volume 08, which is a bit far fetch at the moment)

I will be doing the assigning.

six translators -

Kawool:

Translator 01
Translator 04
Translator 06

Se-Chan:

Translator 02
Translator 05

Sushi-Y: Translator 03

Who gets which number, will depend on admins of the respected groups, im sure there should not be any (or not many) arguments inmy opinion.

For ease, i'll ref then as T1, T2, and so on.

:)

for vol.1
==================
Kingdom of Magic
Chapter 1 - T4,T2
Chapter 2 - T5,T6
Chapter 3 - T3,T1

Gandalfr
Chapter 1 - T6,T5
Chapter 2 - T2,T3
Chapter 3 - T1,T4
Chapter 4 - T5,T6
Chapter 5 - T3,T2
=================

That leaves T4,T1 for the next volume

Any questions?

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”