Side Story Vol. 2 - Extra Chapter

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Trewth
Astral Realm

Side Story Vol. 2 - Extra Chapter

Post by Trewth »

A preliminary translation of the Side Story Vol. 2 - Extra Chapter is now up.

As a new translator, I have a few questions and notes on personal habits, etc.

1) I would like to see a "more official" version of at least the chapter I translated, in Chinese (preferably simplified, although I am able to read traditional). Please don't ask me what I based mine off...I can only say it probably was "ft".

2) I get the feeling that "A Day in the Life of Sylphid" catches the meaning of the title bette than "Sylphid's Day". Is there a way I can get the consensus needed to change the title on the project page?

3) I am not very good with transliterating names or onomatopoeia. Consequently, I would like to seek advice on the sound that Sylphid emits (which I temporarily wrote as "gao") and the name of the girl ("Nea" for now).

4) Is priest the appropriate translation?

5) I totally ignore the honorifics because they are not readily apparent in the "version" I'm translating off of. Furthermore, I prefer to avoid honorifics if there are suitable English alternatives.

Thanks for all the help and comments, in advance!
DeotoxSlayer
Astral Realm

Re: Side Story Vol. 2 - Extra Chapter

Post by DeotoxSlayer »

Trewth wrote:A preliminary translation of the Side Story Vol. 2 - Extra Chapter is now up.

As a new translator, I have a few questions and notes on personal habits, etc.

1) I would like to see a "more official" version of at least the chapter I translated, in Chinese (preferably simplified, although I am able to read traditional). Please don't ask me what I based mine off...I can only say it probably was "ft".

2) I get the feeling that "A Day in the Life of Sylphid" catches the meaning of the title bette than "Sylphid's Day". Is there a way I can get the consensus needed to change the title on the project page?

3) I am not very good with transliterating names or onomatopoeia. Consequently, I would like to seek advice on the sound that Sylphid emits (which I temporarily wrote as "gao") and the name of the girl ("Nea" for now).

4) Is priest the appropriate translation?

5) I totally ignore the honorifics because they are not readily apparent in the "version" I'm translating off of. Furthermore, I prefer to avoid honorifics if there are suitable English alternatives.

Thanks for all the help and comments, in advance!
A new translator YAY! hopefully you can work on volume 6 when you finish the side stories. As for your question I you really think that "A Day in the Life of Sylphid" fits beter you should just change it, I'm sure no one would object. Also about a "more official" raws you should ask Vaelis he has all the raws in chinese, and Japanese.

EDIT: I also added you name to the Active Translators list, since you did start translating, and you have proven that you can translate.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Vaelis »

DeotoxSlayer wrote:Also about a "more official" raws you should ask Vaelis he has all the raws in chinese, and Japanese.
I don't have the chinese raws of the Side Story.
DeotoxSlayer
Astral Realm

Post by DeotoxSlayer »

Vaelis wrote:
DeotoxSlayer wrote:Also about a "more official" raws you should ask Vaelis he has all the raws in chinese, and Japanese.
I don't have the chinese raws of the Side Story.
dam....too bad, does matt have them then???
Trewth
Astral Realm

Post by Trewth »

Actually, I'll go somewhere without internet for a month. I'll work on side story 5 when I get back: it'll probably be out sometime between end of June and beginning of July.
I think I'll do the chapters heavily involving Tabitha first.
Spoiler! :
Her behaviour is somewhat more consistent than Louise, which makes things more interesting for me to translate. (don't ask me why)

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”