Zero no Tsukaima novel?

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Zero Blitz
Astral Realm

Zero no Tsukaima novel?

Post by Zero Blitz »

I had just found out about one of the new season anime being Zero no Tsukaima then after going on the website and understanding no Japanese I found a page with a list of books here. Can someone check out whether these are novels? And if they are, would they be considered as a project in the future?

I've only read the 3 line summary on AniDB but that sounds quite interesting and I like the art so I'll definitely watch the anime.
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

The promo video seems interesting. Also, about 1 minute into the promo video, there seems to be a girl who looks kind of like Yuki--except with thicker glasses.

/me waits for onizuka-gto's reaction...

Anyway, I went to that website you pointed out. I read the summaries (slowly, but I did it--yay!). There are 8 volumes (so far) in the series, and according to the Japanese Wikipedia--
Contributors to the Japanese Wikipedia wrote:ゼロの使い魔( - つかいま)は、ヤマグチノボルのライトノベル作品。
it's a light novel series. (Underlining in the above quote is mine. Read the full article here.)

Translation of the above quote: Zero no Tsukaima is Yamaguchi Noboru's light novel series.

So this means it could be a candidate for translation, if the translators like it. In the meantime, try to find out more information about it (if you need translation help, just come to this forum and ask) so our translators can see if they like it. Essentially you'll be "pitching" your idea to them (to borrow a sales term).

Good luck!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Also ,please check that it will not be licenced anytime soon.

While in the past I have mentioned that we will still consider series in the candidate poll that have rumours of licencing. Be aware that if there is evidence of licencing, we will drop them.

mainly because we will not host illegal materials.

So please check, and if it is okay, then i will add it to the poll. 8)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by the_naming_game »

The second thing that went through my head when watching that promo video was "Harry Potter!"

(The first thing was "nice fanservice.")

I'm not getting the same magic from that Yuki-alike...

Surface impressions anyway. The plot seems to be typical shounen, so it's the personalities that will probably make or break this. Value judgments thus withheld. The premise seems like it could be pretty entertaining.
Nidema
Astral Realm

Post by Nidema »

when does the anime come out?
Zero Blitz
Astral Realm

Zero no Tsukaima info

Post by Zero Blitz »

Sorry, I had no idea where to find info about this when I first made the thread (it was just a suggestion) and by the time I did, I completely forgot about it. :/

Here's my summary of the main points of the first episode:

Zero no Tsukaima is placed in a Harry Potter-like setting which is nothing alike. It is about a girl nicknamed Louise the Zero as they are the results Louise gets when she tries to perform magic, zero. Zero meaning spells don't do what she wants them to do, usually just making a huge explosion but sometimes having other effects.

She is in her second year of some kind of mage school for nobles and it is time for her class to perform the familiar (as in bonded creature type-thing) summoning ritual. After everyone has summoned their familiar (creatures such as a firebreathing salamander, a mole, birds and some strange made up creatures too), it is finally Louise's turn.

As usual, her magic goes haywire and after the smoke passes, there's a human boy laying on the floor. This boy's name is Saito and he's from Earth. (I guess, since he talks about wishing he was back home and could browse the internet and totally freaks out when he sees two moons. ^^)

He gets up and asks what's going on while Louise gets pissed that her familiar isn't something like a dragon. They don't speak the language though so Saito is ignored (and I expect he would be if she could understand him anyway).

She's a tsundere type character. She begs to be allowed to do the ritual again as she doesn't want a 'commoner' as a familiar but is denied to the point that she is threatened with expulsion and she finally agrees to complete the ritual.

Saito is very shocked when she walks up to him and kisses him. ^^

Once she finishes the ritual, a rune burns onto the back of his hand. It's normal for this to happen but judging from the teacher/professor's reaction, it isn't a normal rune.

Back when they're in her room, she starts changing in front of him and just chucks her clothing at him, telling him to do the laundry. Obviously, he doesn't know what she's saying and she starts to feel that he's lower than a dog, unable to obey the simplest of her commands. (basically she treats him like a servant.)

He starts talking loads but she doesn't understand him so she decides to use 'the mute spell she learnt a while ago'. There's an explosion and suddenly they understand each other. ^^

He doesn't really believe what she's saying (thinking he must be in some strange place filled with people from a cult) and legs it out of the room trying to escape. Eventually he gets caught by the bishounen-type character who sends him levitating into the air and that's the end of episode one.

This post gives you a good idea of what volume one of the actual novel is like and there's some more if you look through the whole thread.

Here's the torrents for the anime subs (unlicensed, atm):

Zero no Tsukaima - Episode One [Kuroneko] - AVI, 17mb.

Zero no Tsukaima - Episode One [Froth-Bite] - MP4, 137mb.

http://www.moelicious.be/bt/torrents/Ze ... vi.torrent Zero no Tsukaima - Episode Two [RAW] - AVI, 195mb. [URL tags wouldn't work on this link for some reason..]

Also, some of you considering the anime may like to know that it's produced by the same company as Shakugan no Shana and the seiyuus who did Shana and Yuuji do Louise and Saito.

I think it would be great if you took this light novel into consideration (the anime of Haruhi is what started you guys translating the Haruhi novel wasn't it?). Maybe one or two of the translators can get the first couple of volumes and decide whether it's worth it. Wait for a few more episodes for a better idea of the plot if you need to.
Zero Blitz
Astral Realm

Post by Zero Blitz »

Well I can see the reason that the url tags didn't work on that url is due to the brackets. (you'll need to copy-paste the whole thing.)

And, for the first torrent, 17mb is a typo, I meant 170mb.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

you must make sure it isn't slated to be licenced anytime soon.

Because it would be a shame for us to pull the plug on it, halfway though.

As long as you can be certain it will be free from North American publishers, then I will add this title to the poll.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
garra
Astral Realm

Post by garra »

Is there 8 novels to this series? Cause i check in wikipedia and it looks like it said 8novels?
Zero Blitz
Astral Realm

Post by Zero Blitz »

garra wrote:Is there 8 novels to this series? Cause i check in wikipedia and it looks like it said 8novels?
There's 8 novels currently out. I'm pretty sure it isn't finished yet since book 8 was only released last month.. (Zero no Tsukaima wiki?)

Onizuka, I don't see any reason it would be licensed any time soon, the main reason being it's a seinen novel - like the Shakugan no Shana novel - and most American companies that license/translate/publish Japenese novels don't give them as much consideration.

Also, since this novel is as far along as Haruhi, there's far less likelihood of it being licensed just due to the anime since the anime of Zero~ won't reach Haruhi's popularity. (I doubt any will for a long time...)

Plus I haven't been able to find any plans/rumours of any companies via google. It seems relatively unknown among the English side of the net... Nearly everything is about the anime...

One thing I did find out is that the anime should be following the novel until the end of volume 3. ^^
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

well in that case up it goes.

8)

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”