Rednal's Proofreading Record

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rednal
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Rednal's Proofreading Record

Post by Rednal »

Hello, everyone. ^^ I'm Rednal, a new proofreader for the ZnT novel at the request of my boss at Kawaii Heavens, Se-chan. I thought it would be good to make a record of changes I've made, in case anybody has a disagreement. I forgot to write it up for Chapter 1, but from here on out, watch this thread if you have a vested interest.

...Also, I didn't feel like cluttering up the Wiki page, especially because I haven't done much high-level wiki work anywhere. >.< I'm working on that, though!

Chapter 02:

Page 52:
--Changed "Is this a Salamander?" to "Is that a Salamander?".
--Reason: It sounds better.

Page 54:
--Added "stand for?" to "...Okay, okay. By the way, she just called you 'Louise the Zero', but what's the 'Zero?', and removed the question mark after "Zero".
--Reason: Same as above; it sounds better.

Page 61:
--Debated change: Shouldn't we be calling her hair pink? -.- *Indicates both Anime and Front Cover*

Page 64:
--Changed "She then whispered a rune, and they began to glow brightly." to "She then whispered a spell, and they began to glow brightly."
--Reason: Technically, you can't whisper a rune. A rune is a symbol, like the ones on Saito's hand. They have names, but... proper English doesn't allow for whispering a "rune". Whispering a "spell" seems to fit better.
Last edited by Rednal on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

First of all, you made 2 threads. Second, you don't need to put the thread here. If people don't like it, they'll change it. Finally, everything looks good.
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

Second thread deleted; dang slow internet.

^^ I know I don't really need the thread, but after considering onizuka-gto's words when I was getting my instructions, I thought it would be best. Makes it easier on all of us, yes?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ah thanks for the report rednal,

and pay no attention to Jumpyshoe, s/he just as new here as you are and is determine to shift all "nubcake" ribbing to the next new person.

still not working, if i have to judge by the "Torture Jumpshoe" thread. :roll:

anyway, i assume the other thread was a mistake and i'll go clean that up.

once again thanks for your help

:)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

onizuka-gto wrote:and pay no attention to Jumpyshoe, s/he just as new here as you are and is determine to shift all "nubcake" ribbing to the next new person.
First of all, I'm a guy. Well, I have no real response to that other comment. So let me state this again. I'M A poking GUY!!! DAMN IT!! WHY DO PEOPLE ONLINE AND IRL THINK I'M NOT A GUY!!!
obaka-san
Astral Realm

Post by obaka-san »

tsk tsk
calm down calm down Shoesy. it's not like we DON'T think that you are a BOY, but rather, to make sure, and prepare for whatever happen in the future, we call you s/he. what's wrong with that? there's a "he" right?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I don't treat Shoes as a him, much less a her. I like IT... IT works nicely for me... :?
Christof
Astral Realm

Post by Christof »

Don't be so hard on him.... Lol
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

well at lease seth is happy, i swear he had it just as bad being the previous "nubcake"

its not like we do it intentionally, not all new people become nubcakes, its just a case of shouting out "oi! you! Nubcake!" and someone always seem to stand up and say "who? me?"

well, that's what it seems like.... :roll:

Anyay back on topic, who's dong chapter 7 right now? i forgot.

was it claies? i hope s/he is doing ok, miht have to p.m. him/her....
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Sethy was demoted from Nubcakes to Nubsauce once... :D
/me claws out throat and dies
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

*Sweatdrops* Interesting. I expected nothing less, of course, but...

Chapter 3:

Page 78:
--Changed "Just remember, ojousama." to "Just remember, my lady."
--Reason: I am under the impression, from what I've read so far, that we are avoiding Japanese honorifics.

--Deleted "just" and from "While the meager soup and bread he got served was still painful to behold, it was a pretty even trade-off for getting to laugh so much just earlier."
--Reason: It sounds better.

Page 80:
--Added a comma between "commoner and "just" in "I'm a commoner just like you."
--Reason: It sounded to me like there would be a pause.

Page 82:
--Changed "Noble schmoble." to "Noble schnoble."
--Reason: It flows better.

Page 100:
--Changed "I will not lower my head. I cannot!" to "I will not bow to anyone against my will!"
--Reason: It sounds more natural.

Page 103:
--Deleted "so" from "That's so strange."
--Reason: It flows better.

Page 112:
--Changed "Louise herself was sitting at a table and sleeping soundly over it." to "Louise herself was sitting at a table and sleeping soundly with her head on it."
--Reason: I felt that it sounded better.

Page 115:
--Deleted the comma from "But, I'm not so scared anymore!"
--Reason: A "comma" type pause seemed unlikely. An ellipse, maybe. Removing the pause makes her sound eager, though, which seems most likely to be right.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Wow . . . Dedication. I couldn't edit that much or I would cry . . . . And I'm a guy . . .

Ah yes, on a completely unrelated note, just to amaze and amuse you all, I've been accused of being/been called: Idiot, Stupid, Retarded, Dumb (the last 4 are NOT true by the way), Jerk, Bi, Gay, Transexual, Transvestite, Cross-dresser, Annoying, and Wierd . . . There's more, but non come to mind at the moment . . . .
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

...? That was minor editing; the chapters have been mostly cleaned already. I'm given to understand that Chapters 4+ are the ones that really need somebody to go through and standardize things.

...Besides, haven't most Otaku been called those names? I mean, as long as you haven't actually crossplayed...
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

What I meant was spending the effort to read 20+ pages of text and spot out all the errors/stuff that sounds wierd. When I read, I want to read something already edited. Looking for errors is hard . . . . And no, I haven't crossplayed . . . .
Rednal

Post by Rednal »

Well, somebody has to do it. I just read very quickly, so it's not a problem for me to proofread and look for errors. And visualizing the format to check it for errors is pretty easy, too... ^^ I guess it's just something you learn over time.

I got bored one day of sitting on the sidelines of scanlation, so I decided I might as well join the effort. ^^ It's actually kind of fun when my name appears on a credits page for something KH releases. I get satisfaction from it.

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”