Zero no Tsukaima Names and Terminology

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Xorius
Astral Realm

Re: Zero no Tsukaima Names and Terminology

Post by Xorius »

Darknemo2000 wrote:Literally it reads as in Aniesu but you can also read it as Agniesu (which would be Agnes or Agnies). I think just the name Agnes suits more the character of her rather than Anies. Has bit tougher sounding to it.
Those bastardised pronounciations are making finding the 'original' english/latin names horrendously hard to find. A good example would be Tabitha... it's pronounced as Tabasa! Case in point, even the back cover of Tabitha's Adventure (One or two I ain't sure), has a grafitti in english saying Tabasa :shock: ...

EDIT: Oh, and Agnes 'looks' more right... by that of course I mean, it looks more like a latin-alphabet/english name. Not too valid of an argument thought I suppose.
Last edited by Xorius on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DissmalScientist
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by DissmalScientist »

Darknemo2000 wrote:Literally it reads as in Aniesu but you can also read it as Agniesu (which would be Agnes or Agnies). I think just the name Agnes suits more the character of her rather than Anies. Has bit tougher sounding to it.
I think its usually translated as Anies, just cause it seems more French.
Penny: You're driving a spork into your leg.
Dr. Horrible: So I am. Hilarious.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Also it seems like it should be Eleonore instead of Eleanor. We had a discussion based on it and even though on wiki (by the way, it is Anies there too) it is written Eleanor guys decided to use Eleonore as it sounds more french.

Agnes also seems french-like to me, just with rougher sound to it (which g adds) and it suits her character more than too soft Anies.
Xorius
Astral Realm

Post by Xorius »

What about Cattleya? No offence, but everytime I see that I think of it as Cattle-ya... like you know, the cow cattle?

I thought something along the lines of Kataleeya (pronounciation wise) or something would be more appropriate? If this is based on a proper french name though, I'd say keep it.

Just wondering if anyone of you thought of cows as well when you first read that name...
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

I found Cattleya to be pretty much ok.

But I have to admit the first time I saw her translated name in english I instantly thought about cows. But now I am used to it. Though if anyone else has same problem maybe we could change it to Kattleya?
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

アニエス does seem to be Agnes, though as mentioned, the direct transliteration would be Anies.
カトレア definitely is Cattleya. It's the name of a flower.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Hiyono wrote:アニエス does seem to be Agnes, though as mentioned, the direct transliteration would be Anies.
カトレア definitely is Cattleya. It's the name of a flower.
Indeed there is no problem with Cattleya: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AB% ... C%E3%83%A4
Macko Darlack
Senior Project Translator

Post by Macko Darlack »

Darknemo2000 wrote:I think you are misunderstanding Macko Darlack. Mods do not have time to care about such minor issues. It is usually decided between editors and translators. And since two translators already use the term i do not see how it is wrong specially because our translations matched.
ok, ok, got it. i was suggesting sth, since I posted it before I saw it was entitled "Dartanes". although no place named like that exists, guess so.

and for "Agnes/Anies", i think Agnes sounds frenx-er, even Agnès fits better with Frenx, but Agnes is great.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Okay, I'm editing in Eleonore and keeping Agnes. This okay?
Xorius
Astral Realm

Post by Xorius »

Styx or Stix?

Sounds the same, except Styx looks cooler.... *shrug*

EDIT: Oh, and would one of the Japanese RAW translators want to give it a crack at the names of the battallions and creatures that pop up all through this chapter? At the moment I'm completely dead as to what they are... Just going to use past chapters to fill them in. If not, shove in my own (which are probably blatantly wrong).

A good one would be the ones that are listed in Volume 6, Chapter 4 (The regiment names), and the creatures that pop up in Volume 7, Chapter 5 (Yep, the one I'm working on...). One of the creatures are ogres, but there's this other one I have no idea what it is... seems like a humanoid type though)

EDIT: Another one, should it be guns/rifles/arquebus/matchlock rifles.... personally I'm inclined for either matchlock rifles or arquebus... though rifles in the strict sense are only those than have been 'rifled' (meaning grooved along its barrels).

Considering the technology, it's doubtful thay have, but to the average reader, would be more understandable.

The most appropriate would be hand cannons (but these remind me of handguns) or the arquebus. That or the musket?

I'll vote arquebus, mainly because I play too much Total War :P
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

I vote for Styx. sounds better, guess so... :wink:

2nd edit: i go for muskets, for the supposed-to-be-french army of Tristain could have musketeers. So I thinks that's what Agnes commands.

:mrgreen:
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

Macko Darlack,please post or PM me the source of your avatar!!!ASAP!! :P
Xorius
Astral Realm

Post by Xorius »

Macko Darlack wrote:I vote for Styx. sounds better, guess so... :wink:

2nd edit: i go for muskets, for the supposed-to-be-french army of Tristain could have musketeers. So I thinks that's what Agnes commands.

:mrgreen:
Which comes the second bit... how do we differntiate between 'em? The musketeers are an elite in this case. What of the average infantrymen? (who are using BOTH arquebuses and muskets...)
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

==============================
fiendmaw wrote:Macko Darlack,please post or PM me the source of your avatar!!!ASAP!! :P
well, I did it myself... :roll: what do you mean with 'source'?? and what is ASAP?? :mrgreen:

==============================
Xorius wrote:Which comes the second bit... how do we differntiate between 'em? The musketeers are an elite in this case. What of the average infantrymen? (who are using BOTH arquebuses and muskets...)
the question was about the word for the weapons, think so... and i suggested it, that's all. as for 'arquebuses' and 'muskets', a musket is the evolution of the arquebus. if you want, you can check it here at Wikiped. another fact, from Wikiped, is that the musketeers:
"The Musketeers of the Guard were a junior unit of roughly company strength of the military branch of the Royal Household [...] created in 1622 when Louis XIII furnished a company of light cavalry with muskets. Musketeers fought in battle both on foot (infantry) and on horseback (dragoons). As a junior unit in the Royal Guard, the Musketeers were not closely linked to the royal family. Traditional bodyguard duties were in fact performed by the Garde du Corps and the Gardes suisses. Because of its junior status, the Musketeers were open to the lower classes of French nobility or younger sons from noble families whose oldest son served in the more prestigious units. The Musketeers soon gained a reputation for boisterousness and fighting spirit as the only way for social and career advancement was excelling at their task as mounted light dragoons."
Spoiler! :
and if you keep reading on that wikiped article, you can find that:
"Shortly after their creation, Cardinal Richelieu created a bodyguard unit for himself [...] Richelieu did not name them Garde du Corps like the King's personal guards but rather Musketeers after the Kings' junior guard cavalry. This was the start of a bitter rivalry between both corps of Musketeers. At the cardinal's death in 1642, the company passed to his successor Cardinal Mazarin. "
i think this explains a little the 'elite' you mentioned...

"What of the average infantrymen?" sorry, i can't get the exact meaning of average...
who are using BOTH arquebuses and muskets... maybe someone did change the arquebuses for muskets and we are in the transition :D

====

Salu2!!! :mrgreen:
Xorius
Astral Realm

Post by Xorius »

Nice linking to wiki there :) but yeah, pretty much what I meant by 'elite'.

Well, by average I mean that these are the peasents/mercernaries/commoner batallions. Like no elite, just a ragtag group of conscripts handed a gun and asked to shoot kind of thing.

And it's suggested in the chapter that becuse Guiche's batallion is a bunch of 'losers' (lol...), they are still using the older ones (arquebuses or matchlocks), which means they are in a transition.

Making it mighty annoying to find a term for 'em. Bleh! lol....

By the way ASAP means as soon as possible.

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”