SKIPPING AHEAD TO VOL. 8!!!!!!

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Should we start Translation at Volume 08?

1: Yes (Reason)
33%
2: No (Reason)
67%
3: Other (Give decent explanation)
No votes

Total votes: 21

Mukki
Astral Realm

Re: SKIPPING AHEAD TO VOL. 8!!!!!!

Post by Mukki »

Darknemo2000 wrote:This skipping ahead already 'encouraged' one of our active translators, Momogan to become much less active. Mostly because skipping ahead is really annoying, specially when a lot of important details were missed in the anime. Such skips do not help the translation much, thats for sure.
I don't see why skipping ahead would make him become less active considering that the decision was made not to skip ahead. Maybe I just don't understand how or why someone would become less active and attribute the reason to something that never happened?
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Momogan wrote:Hi everyone,

I will finish off chapter 1 of volume 4 off sometime soon, I had forgotten about it until I read this thread, sorry. I haven't disappeared from the face of the earth, I simply just lost interest. People aren't showing much interest in the early volumes (even though they are very different from the anime!) and are always too eager to jump to further volumes, especially to volume 8, one of the climaxes in the series, so I didn't see much point in continuing.
Now can you see it?

I am not blaming anyone, however, it really is discouraging to have people talking about skipping ahead when you yourself are working hard to translate the story without the skips and jumps. Your work really starts feeling pointless.
Mukki
Astral Realm

Post by Mukki »

Darknemo2000 wrote:
Momogan wrote:Hi everyone,

I will finish off chapter 1 of volume 4 off sometime soon, I had forgotten about it until I read this thread, sorry. I haven't disappeared from the face of the earth, I simply just lost interest. People aren't showing much interest in the early volumes (even though they are very different from the anime!) and are always too eager to jump to further volumes, especially to volume 8, one of the climaxes in the series, so I didn't see much point in continuing.
Now can you see it?

I am not blaming anyone, however, it really is discouraging to have people talking about skipping ahead when you yourself are working hard to translate the story without the skips and jumps. Your work really starts feeling pointless.
It's his choice what he wants to do. Personally, I don't agree with the train of thought (heck, I even pmed him a while back expressing my gratitude for his work, but never got a reply). There are always going to be people with a different opinion, but to say that most people want to skip ahead when the majority says they don't? It sounds like it's being blown out of proportion, you know?
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Well it is not only about the fact that it was decided not to skip (plus the chapter 2 of volume 8 actually started to be translated) but also the fact that the loudest are the ones that want to skip ahead. And it gives an impression that there are quite a lot of people willing to do that, not caring about the current progress of ZnT novel's. And this is really discouraging for the people who work on volume 3, 4 or 5.

Maybe, one could say that Momogan is overreacting, but I can understand him.
Mukki
Astral Realm

Post by Mukki »

Darknemo2000 wrote:Well it is not only about the fact that it was decided not to skip (plus the chapter 2 of volume 8 actually started to be translated) but also the fact that the loudest are the ones that want to skip ahead. And it gives an impression that there are quite a lot of people willing to do that, not caring about the current progress of ZnT novel's. And this is really discouraging for the people who work on volume 3, 4 or 5.

Maybe, one could say that Momogan is overreacting, but I can understand him.
I dunno, I mean the poll is pretty clear-cut, you know? And wasn't that chapter 8 volume 2 deal a one-time thing anyhow? Anyways, I don't know what to say. I've tried to express my gratitude towards Momogan, but I don't know if he read it or it was ignored or what. :/
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Again, though the poll is clear the louder are the ones that wanted to skip to volume 8 rather than the ones that didnt. This all is rather discouraging.

To stop translating in general may be overreacting but it is true that when you see a number (not a full majority, but still a rather loud crowd) of people willing to skip up there, it makes you question what is the point of what I am translating at the moment (specially if you are translating a rather boring volume 4 for example, which talks about Wardes, Henreitta, Wales and the stuff).

Thus I can fully understand that Momogan just dropped it down and lost interest in translating in general.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Darknemo2000 wrote:Again, though the poll is clear the louder are the ones that wanted to skip to volume 8 rather than the ones that didnt. This all is rather discouraging.

To stop translating in general may be overreacting but it is true that when you see a number (not a full majority, but still a rather loud crowd) of people willing to skip up there, it makes you question what is the point of what I am translating at the moment (specially if you are translating a rather boring volume 4 for example, which talks about Wardes, Henreitta, Wales and the stuff).

Thus I can fully understand that Momogan just dropped it down and lost interest in translating in general.
Just know that I'm faithfully awaiting your translations, even if they are machine. I refuse to skip ahead in novels. That defeats the purpose of reading it in the first place.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:I refuse to skip ahead in novels. That defeats the purpose of reading it in the first place.
Thats my opinion as well. Skipping ahead, no matter how justified it may seem, is not a solution in my opinion.

Thats why, even though I personally hate the stuff that I am translating at the moment (Wardes, Cromwell talks) I am still doing that because it is important to keep consistency in novel translation rather than random jumps (usually based on the lack of summaries).

For Mukki it might still seem ridiculous and in some sense it is, but you have to understand that when you are translating a rather boring chapter and have to force yourself most of the time, you tend to get tipsy and when you see people asking to jump forward to 8 volume you really start to wonder what is the point...

Again, i am not blaming anyone, just explaining situation why some of the translators may feel discouraged by such discussion as this.
Mukki
Astral Realm

Post by Mukki »

Darknemo2000 wrote:Again, though the poll is clear the louder are the ones that wanted to skip to volume 8 rather than the ones that didnt. This all is rather discouraging.

I understand, but
Anyways, I don't know what to say. I've tried to express my gratitude towards Momogan, but I don't know if he read it or it was ignored or what. :/
I'm sure it must be disheartening no doubt, but as much as it is, I'm sure we can at least agree that this sort of challenge will always come up when you're doing work for a good number of people, yes?
Const2k
Senior Project Editor

Post by Const2k »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:Just know that I'm faithfully awaiting your translations, even if they are machine. I refuse to skip ahead in novels. That defeats the purpose of reading it in the first place.
Signed.
My thoughts exactly.

Regardless of translation quality (it's enough for me if the main plot is understandable, and Darknemo2000's work is far beyond that), continuous translation makes story solid. I never "FF" scenes in a movie I've never seen before. I never skip chapters in a book where storyline depends on previous ones. I prefer to listen to the new album from the start till the end when I listen to it for the first time. I don't want to spoil myself beforehand.
That's why I simply don't understand those who want to skip something they don't know of, hearing somewhere that, say, "last chapter is more interesting". And that's why the next ZnT chapter will always be more important to me than the next volume.
Not to mention that I won't proofread/edit something I'm not going to read too soon.
"To Edit & Punish. Securing the Stability of the Wikicommunist State."
leoblack9
Astral Realm

Post by leoblack9 »

I don't think so imo, seeing as how much screwed season 2 in anime is. I guess it skipped many good parts of the story. (Sadly I've just been able to read upto volume 5.) When I just skipped to volume 8 it just feels like that I've accepted what happened in the anime, which didn't in the novel.

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”