[ON GOING]Chapter 01

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

While it is the lower limit, i feel that we have the capability to get this done by that time.

When we get the rest of the script, i will be checking the status of the translators of chapter two, to see if they have all the required information and materials to proceed.

But I feel it is best that we get chapter 01 proceed as soon as possible, to allows us more time to familiar ourselves with this new system.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Cala-kun
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Zero no Tsukaima

Post by Cala-kun »

Yey, I'm done with my pages. Although it took some time, it wasn't quite as difficult to translate as I'd initially thought, which was nice.

Anyway here it is for anyone and everyone who wants it, and I'll also email Oni a copy because I said I would.

So what will I be doing next?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Se-chan
Astral Realm

Post by Se-chan »

Okay, since everything's settled. How about I get both scripts so I can get on proofreading them?

Proofer script to come up soon.
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

what i suggest is Se-chan proof reads it, then you forward it to me so i can start typesetting hopefully asap (it should only takes me a hour or so to do it)
then i'll up the scanlation version on my server so you'll be able to dl it.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Se-chan, are you familiar with wiki? if do yuo can come to this page:

http://project.baka-tsuki.net/index.php ... gvol01edit

to proofread the script.

whe nthe page as for your login details just enter the ones i p.m. you with.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

As mentioned earlier here are the first scan made by one of my colourist
Spoiler! :
ImageImage
that gal is so talented XD
Da~Mike
Astral Realm

Post by Da~Mike »

the_naming_game wrote:@everybody
I seem to remember in one of your posts, that you mentioned you had some OCR software? Do you think you could work your magic on the text? I have to page 27 currently, plus a few random bits of 39, but if you could make it so, that'd save me a lot of time. Chapter 2 will probably be coming up fast, by the way things sound. You don't have to have it perfect. If all I have to do is double check the kanji, that'll be fine.
Eh... OCR software??
Is that an acronym for Obscure Chinese Recognition???
Also, which pages are you referring to? In your previous posts, you only commented on pages 35-39 (I haven't read any of the scripts just yet).

Another thing. I'd like to make a small petition:

Could all translators and editors please post their comments and notes on the discussion page in the Wiki as well?
All I ask is that everyone post whatever they posted in the forum in the discussion board as well so that whoever is working on the script at any point of time, will be be aware of any important translation issues.

(also because I don't like having to keep bouncing back and forth between the forum and the Wiki... :P )

I'll be going through the translated text now.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

OCR stands for Optical Character Recognition

basically you scan anything that has text, and depending on your language pack it will convert it into a text file format.

yeah, i think we should keep the discussion to the talk page, but that thread was there so i thought I might as well use it. :roll:

@Onizukademongto
Da~Mike
Astral Realm

Post by Da~Mike »

Ahh.. optical character recognition... I think not... :P

I've got a Palm dictionary where I have to "draw" in the chracters then I can work out what the chracters are from there. It would be a excrutiating process to do it that way though...

Using a Chinese dictionary for Japanese kanji generally isn't advisable... As I explained in another thread.

Anyway, I'll transfer everything that seems like a discussion of sort to the discussion page for now.
The forum is great for archiving purposes as the Wiki can get really messy but otherwise, it's not as useful for edits as they go I'd say.
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by the_naming_game »

Just a quick post to say
  • talked with Cala-kun, and he said something to the effect that Japanese tends to play a little loose with tense, and so it's probably better to normalize to past tense; it didn't have any special meaning. There goes that theory! He made the changes in his updated script.
  • Cala-kun also fixed the "has died" thing I raised before. Not sure if coincidence or not, but I'll take it.
  • The "that's what I don't understand" issue's still open.
  • @Da~Mike: Now that I think about it, it was probably from one of those wiki conversations that you transferred over to the forum. Anyway, apologies for putting you on the spot like that.
  • I'm on MSN right now at the_naming_game at hotmail.com, so I'm available to discuss editing issues whenever. Looks like I'm quite a bit after 12pm GMT. Will try to get closer tomorrow.
Se-chan
Astral Realm

Post by Se-chan »

Proofreading underway! May finish by tuesday or if I'm industrious, today(yeah, I'm pigging out. I need the rest)!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

well i'll be more or less online after 10pm GMT, so if your out editing be online around that time.

@Onizukademongto
Kawool
Astral Realm

Post by Kawool »

Se-chan, please forward me the proofread pages at [email protected] so i start typesetting.

If we could release on wed that would be cool.
Da~Mike
Astral Realm

Post by Da~Mike »

After working with the edits and noting the amount of changes made (and the number of times The naming game checked the source text), I've a small request to make:

May I request that the translators translate the Japanese text as literally as possible?
From past experience (and now this), if the translators interpret the source text extensively, by the time the editors feel satisfied (or perhaps not) regarding the fluidity of the translated text, a lot of the original meaning may be lost by then.
As an analogy, it could be considered to be making a copy of a copy. The photos of the first landing on the moon (shown in numerous museums) are horribly blurred in comparison to the original photo that was taken.

So with respect to this, I myself, and the rest of the editors no doubt, have no wish to make an interpretation of an interpretation.

Thank you.

p.s. I'm giving up on making excessively detailed change-logs since
(a) It takes too much time
(b) I'm one of the few people who do it
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

:p

just put the main disputes on the talk page.
:wink:

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”