Vol 4 Chapter 7 Preview

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

r691175002
Astral Realm

Vol 4 Chapter 7 Preview

Post by r691175002 »

I don't know any Japanese, but I have been considering attempting machine based translation for a while now and finally gave it a go with Vaelis's help. This translation is of Vol 4, Chapter 7 and was the best I could make of several (4, and tried more, I feel like an expert on the pros and cons of various translation services) machine translations. I am not completely sure about the very first and second last sections, and although it reads pretty well I can't guarantee the accuracy. At some points the best I had to go with was garbage such as "On the other show you! Although heart thought before, but if it so angered the trouble."

If possible, it would be nice if someone could skim the real chapter and clarify the start/ending a bit for me, and point out any sections where I really missed the mark. Also, the names were a little iffy since each translation did them differently, and none were really similar to any of the English names so it was a bit of a guessing game.

I have followed this translation with the same version in code tags so you can select all (Plus it doesnt remove the whitespace which makes it easier to read). I suggest copying the code version into word or something.

Translation:
Montmorency the Fragrance had begun questioning Kirche, who was roasting meat with Tabitha around a bonfire. Guiche appeared fully content and was talking loudly to himself with a glass of wine in his hand. [Guess: He seems only too content to be traveling, Raw: こいつだけは未だに旅行気分らしい] Its well past midnight, and the twin moons glitter beautifully over the surface of the lake.

[I'm not very confident in the following few lines, The previous chapter was incomplete so I have to guess about what they are discussing]
"Is your wound ok? Too bad we defeated you, I honestly admire the combination you two make."
"You are really good, we stood no chance."
"Victory or defeat is also dependant on luck. If your luck is perfect we can only run." [There is more but I cant much sense of it: "Besides, you were fighting alone, Montmorency was only watching and Louise only delt the final blow"]

Kirche proudly pulls up her hair.
"But why are you attacking the water spirit?"
Under the light of the bonfire, they replied
"Why do you need to protect it?"
Louise pulls her sleeve sadly.
"Do you think Kirche is better?"
"Ah! No - Thats not true! I was just asking about whats going on! Why don't you get some sleep?"
"No way, I don't need to rest! Don't you want to talk with me? This is the 32nd time youve told me to sleep today."
It seems as if Louise was counting the words Saito said to her. Although a little scary, Saito felt that Louise was really lovable. But right now he was busy so he gently places his hand on her shoulder and talks as if she is a small child:
"We can talk afterwards, you should go to sleep. You just cast a major spell, aren't you tired?
Louise was bashfully tracing circles with her finger on Saito's chest.
"Then... Promise me with a kiss."
"What...?"
"Kiss me or I won't go to sleep."

Kirche's stared at them, her mouth agape while Louise puffs up her cheeks with a tempermental look. Looking at eachother, Guiche and Montmorency laugh, Kirche and Tabitha are still unaware of what had happened.
Saito was feeling extremely awkward, it would be too embarassing to kiss Louise straight on the lips with everyone watching. He worries for a while and finally kisses her forhead. Louise is reluctantly satisfied, and suddenly sits in his lap, resting against his chest and closes her eyes. Soon her breathing slows and light snoring escapes from her lips.

Kirche asks in admiration:
"How did you manage to domesticate louise to this degree?" [Cant make out the rest: 「沒想到你這人實際上是個很會對待女孩子的人呢。什麼時候把露易絲馴化到這種程度了?這孩子已經對你神魂顛倒了啊。」]
"It's not like that, Montmorency made a love potion and Louise accidentally drank it. The first person she saw was me and now she has fallen in love with me."
"Love potion? Why did you make such a thing?"
"Oh, I was just curious to see if I could do it."
Montmorency sidesteps the question...

"Really, a woman who has no confidence in her charms is the worst. Don't you think?"
"Go die! Anyways, this isnt the time for it, how should we cure her?" [Not 100% sure on this line]
"So argumentative... Well I suppose we've come to the heart of the matter."
[Someone, translated as Qier and Qi] explains the circumstances to Kirche. In order to make the antidote, they need the water spirits tears. We promised to repell the attackers in exchange for the tears but...
"So thats was it, thats why you are protecting the water spirit?"
Kirche looks awkwardly towards Tabitha who is staring into the fire with a glazed expression.
"This is bad, we can't fight you but if we don't stop the water spirit Tabitha's familly will be troublesome..."
"Why is it necessary to get rid of it?"
Prompted by Saito, Kirche
"You see, the water levels have caused damage to the surrounding area. Tabithas familly has suffered losses because of the damage so we have been entrusted to get rid of it."
So that was it. They can't go home empty handed.

Then how can they handle it...
Saito considered it for a while:
"Thats fine, you can stop attacking the water spirit and we can find out why the water spirit is raising the water level so much and ask her to stop."
"The water spirit will listen to us?"
"This morning we negotiated with it, it agreed to give us a part of its body if we stop the attackers."
Kirche considered for a second and asks Tabitha:
"As long as the floods stop and the land is restored to its original condition would that be ok?"
Tabitha nodded.
"Great, it's decided! We can carry out the negotiations tomorrow!"

Early the next morning, Montmorency like yesterday, released a small frog into the lake to call the water spirit. The water parted and the water spirit rose up through the morning mist.
"Water spirit, the attackers will no longer bother you, as per the agreement will you give us a part of your body?
As Montmorency finished talking, the water spirits body trembled and a portion of her body was repelled as a thin line into the vial Montmorency was holding.
Its promise completed, the water spirit sunk back towards the lake however Saito quickly called it to stop.
"Please wait! I have something to ask you!"
The water spirit rose up once more from the water's surface, twisting just like yesterday towards Montmorency.
"Like this it almost looks embarrassed" Montmorency said in a low voice. [Yeah that didnt make much sense to me either, but all 4 machine translations agree on it]
"What, mere human?"

"Why have you raised the water? If there is a reason can you please tell us? We would be willing to help so you can stop."
The water spirits body grows in size and assumes various positions. [Skipped a dumb sounding sentence] Perhaps his form reflects his thoughts.
"I was considering entrusting this task to you, since you abided by our previous agreement I think I can trust you."

[This sentence was incredibly difficult to translate, mostly guess] Seeming upset, the water spirit pauses. Saito says nothing, but waits for the spirit to continue. After several shape changes, the water spirit settled once again in Montmorency's form and continued to speak.
"A long time ago, your kind stole one of my treasures."
"A treasure?"
"Yes, my most important treasure was stolen from the deepest part of my lake, about thirty months before the moon's crossing."
"Approximately two years ago..." Montmorency murmurs.
"Are you trying to take revenge on humans by increasing the water levels and flooding villages?"
"Vengence? Our kind does not have that purpose. I am simplying trying to retake my treasure, and even if it takes a millinia water will slowly erode the land and even if I must sink all of [Harukeginia - Continent] I will regain what I have lost."
"You're willing to do so much?"
This is just going too far, the water spirit is willing to submerge an entire continent to reclaim its treasure, that could take hundreds, even thousands of years."
"Our concept of time is different, for me the whole is the same as the present. All time is the same to me, regardless of the present the future will always come. It makes no difference to me, because I will always exist."

The water spirit doesnt seem to have the concept of death. Time on this scale would be unimaginable to a human.
"Well we can help you retreive your treasure, what is it?"
"[Name of ring, dont want to look it up]The Anders Valee, the ring that has been with me until now."
"I think I have heard of it."
Montmorency quietly replies.

"Legendary magic item of the water system. It is said to give false life to the deceased..."
"That isnt incorrect, but death is a concept that I do not understand, therefore I cannot understand your description. The [Ring Name] does not simply bring false life, it is the embodiment of the ancient "Strength of the water", it is not just a magical item."
"Then who stole such a thing?"
"Using wind magic, several humans came into my dwelling. They did not disturb me in my slumber and took away my treasure."
"So you don't know their names?"
"One of the people went by the name Cromwell."
Kirche says to herself:
"If I havent misunderstodd, he is the new Emperor of Albion"
Everyone but Saito could not help but look at eachother in dismay.
"Could he be a different person? There could be two people with the same name... Well if he has gained the power of false life, what will he use it for?"
"Those who are revived have their freedom stolen. They must obey the owner of the ring"
"It is a truely evil ring, animating the dead is disgusting." Kirche says in a low voice.
[Something about Kirche here that I cant make out, doesn't seem overly important]
Saito nods with a firm resolution, and turns towards the water spirit.
"I understand. Please stop raising the water level and I guarentee you I will return your ring."
The water spirit vibrates.
"I believe you, if you can bring back the ring I will no longer raise the water."
"Then when should I bring it back to you?"
This time the water spirit shook and trembled.
"Before your life ends, otherwise I am unconcerned."
"You don't mind such a long time?"
"I dont mind, to me tomorrow is no different from any other part of the future."
After saying this, the water spirit returned to the depths of the lake.
In that flash, Tabitha stopped it by calling out.
"Please wait."
Everyone stared at Tabitha in suprise. Although she is a person... This is the first time she has spoken out.
"Water spirit, I wish to ask you something."
"What is your question?"
"We humans have always called you the 'Wizard of Allegiance', I would like to know the reason."
"Human, my and your existance is completely dissimilar. I cannot understand your question completely, but I can speculate. My existance in itself is the reason for this name. I do not have a fixed shape, yet I will never change. Throughout your generations I have always been here with the water."
The water spirit, trembling spoke. The sound tremors.
"Because you are eternally unchanging, therfore you will forever carry our pledges."
Tabitha nodded, then shut her eyes. In the end, who has she made an oath to? [Confused me too, but the machines all agree on it] Kirche gently puts a hand on her shoulder.
[Names slightly confusing here... Actually this entire section is really confusing, I probbably failed it...]
[I am assuming that Guiche did something stupid and Montmorency is jealous, if I am wrong this part is going to be really, really off]
[Later text suggests this is all between Saito and Louise, which would make sense, but the translated names dont match up]

Montmorency seeing [Motonaga] appearence, immediatly pokes [Motonaga].
"What?"
"You made an oath too quickly."
"What oath?"
[Cant make sense of this, previous part came out pretty randomly too]
"What did you think I made the Love potion for anyways?"
"Mmm! Ah... I swear that I will consider Montmorency above all others from this point forward..."
She poked [Motonaga] again.
"Oww... Ah...! Really! I swear!"
"I don't want to be first, I want to be the only. Swear you love only me!"
[Motonaga] forces sad words out in a tone that most people wouldnt really believe.
Louise has also pulled on Saito's sleeve, her face is gazing at only him.
"I swear..."
[Now things start to make sense again]
Only Saito is looking at Louise's face. Today he must tell this Louise goodby, and he cannot help but feel somewhat lonely. Even though it was only because of the Love potion, how many times had she told him she loves him?
But the original Louise was better. Saito perfered Louise even if he is beaten by her, or treated like a dog, he thought the original was better.
"You are not willing to swear to me? You dont love me?"
Tears filled Louise's eyes.
"Sorry... I cannot swear to you... I cannot make a promise to the current you."
When Saito says this, she begins to cry. Saito gently strokes her head.
[One of the translations gave me this: Only people crying gently foreplay with the Deren-Lewis in the first. - I laughed]
Version with indentation:

Code: Select all

Montmorency the Fragrance had begun questioning Kirche, who was roasting meat with Tabitha around a bonfire.  Guiche appeared fully content and was talking loudly to himself with a glass of wine in his hand.  [Guess: He seems only too content to be traveling,  Raw: こいつだけは未だに旅行気分らしい]  Its well past midnight, and the twin moons glitter beautifully over the surface of the lake.

[I'm not very confident in the following few lines, The previous chapter was incomplete so I have to guess about what they are discussing]
    "Is your wound ok?  Too bad we defeated you, I honestly admire the combination you two make."
    "Victory or defeat is also dependant on luck.  If your luck is perfect we can only run." [There is more but I cant much sense of it: "Besides, you were fighting alone, Montmorency was only watching and Louise only delt the final blow"]

Under the light of the bonfire, they replied
Louise pulls her sleeve sadly.
    "Do you think Kirche is better?"
    "Ah! No - Thats not true! I was just asking about whats going on! Why don't you get some sleep?"
    "No way, I don't need to rest!  Don't you want to talk with me?  This is the 32nd time youve told me to sleep today."
It seems as if Louise was counting the words Saito said to her.  Although a little scary, Saito felt that Louise was really lovable.  But right now he was busy so he gently places his hand on her shoulder and talks as if she is a small child:
    "We can talk afterwards, you should go to sleep.  You just cast a major spell, aren't you tired?
    "What...?"

Kirche's stared at them, her mouth agape while Louise puffs up her cheeks with a tempermental look.  Looking at eachother, Guiche and Montmorency laugh, Kirche and Tabitha are still unaware of what had happened.
Saito was feeling extremely awkward, it would be too embarassing to kiss Louise straight on the lips with everyone watching.  He worries for a while and finally kisses her forhead.  Louise is reluctantly satisfied, and suddenly sits in his lap, resting against his chest and closes her eyes.  Soon her breathing slows and light snoring escapes from her lips.

Kirche asks in admiration:
    "How did you manage to domesticate louise to this degree?" [Cant make out the rest:  「沒想到你這人實際上是個很會對待女孩子的人呢。什麼時候把露易絲馴化到這種程度了?這孩子已經對你神魂顛倒了啊。」]
    "It's not like that, Montmorency made a love potion and Louise accidentally drank it.  The first person she saw was me and now she has fallen in love with me."
Montmorency sidesteps the question...

"Really, a woman who has no confidence in her charms is the worst.  Don't you think?"
    "Go die! Anyways, this isnt the time for it, how should we cure her?" [Not 100% sure on this line]
    "So argumentative...  Well I suppose we've come to the heart of the matter."
[Someone, translated as Qier and Qi] explains the circumstances to Kirche.  In order to make the antidote, they need the water spirits tears.  We promised to repell the attackers in exchange for the tears but...
    "So thats was it, thats why you are protecting the water spirit?"
Kirche looks awkwardly towards Tabitha who is staring into the fire with a glazed expression.
    "This is bad, we can't fight you but if we don't stop the water spirit Tabitha's familly will be troublesome..."
Prompted by Saito, Kirche 
    "You see, the water levels have caused damage to the surrounding area.  Tabithas familly has suffered losses because of the damage so we have been entrusted to get rid of it."
So that was it.  They can't go home empty handed.

Then how can they handle it...
    "Thats fine, you can stop attacking the water spirit and we can find out why the water spirit is raising the water level so much and ask her to stop."
    "This morning we negotiated with it, it agreed to give us a part of its body if we stop the attackers."
Kirche considered for a second and asks Tabitha:
    "As long as the floods stop and the land is restored to its original condition would that be ok?"
Tabitha nodded.
    "Great, it's decided!  We can carry out the negotiations tomorrow!"

Early the next morning, Montmorency like yesterday, released a small frog into the lake  to call the water spirit.  The water parted and the water spirit rose up through the morning mist.
    "Water spirit, the attackers will no longer bother you, as per the agreement will you give us a part of your body?
As Montmorency finished talking, the water spirits body trembled and a portion of her body was repelled as a thin line into the vial Montmorency was holding.
Its promise completed, the water spirit sunk back towards the lake however Saito quickly called it to stop.
The water spirit rose up once more from the water's surface, twisting just like yesterday towards Montmorency. 
    "Like this it almost looks embarrassed" Montmorency said in a low voice. [Yeah that didnt make much sense to me either, but all 4 machine translations agree on it]
    "What, mere human?"

"Why have you raised the water?  If there is a reason can you please tell us?  We would be willing to help so you can stop."
The water spirits body grows in size and assumes various positions.  [Skipped a dumb sounding sentence] Perhaps his form reflects his thoughts.
    "I was considering entrusting this task to you, since you abided by our previous agreement I think I can trust you."

[This sentence was incredibly difficult to translate, mostly guess] Seeming upset, the water spirit pauses.  Saito says nothing, but waits for the spirit to continue.  After several shape changes, the water spirit settled once again in Montmorency's form and continued to speak.
    "A treasure?"
    "Yes, my most important treasure was stolen from the deepest part of my lake, about thirty months before the moon's crossing."
    "Are you trying to take revenge on humans by increasing the water levels and flooding villages?"
    "Vengence?  Our kind does not have that purpose.  I am simplying trying to retake my treasure, and even if it takes a millinia water will slowly erode the land and even if I must sink all of [Harukeginia - Continent] I will regain what I have lost."
This is just going too far, the water spirit is willing to submerge an entire continent to reclaim its treasure, that could take hundreds, even thousands of years."
    "Our concept of time is different, for me the whole is the same as the present.  All time is the same to me, regardless of the present the future will always come.  It makes no difference to me, because I will always exist."

The water spirit doesnt seem to have the concept of death.  Time on this scale would be unimaginable to a human.
    "Well we can help you retreive your treasure, what is it?"
    "[Name of ring, dont want to look it up]The Anders Valee, the ring that has been with me until now."
Montmorency quietly replies.

"Legendary magic item of the water system.  It is said to give false life to the deceased..."
    "That isnt incorrect, but death is a concept that I do not understand, therefore I cannot understand your description.  The [Ring Name] does not simply bring false life, it is the embodiment of the ancient "Strength of the water", it is not just a magical item."
    "Using wind magic, several humans came into my dwelling.  They did not disturb me in my slumber and took away my treasure."
Kirche says to herself:
    "If I havent misunderstodd, he is the new Emperor of Albion"
Everyone but Saito could not help but look at eachother in dismay.
    "Could he be a different person?  There could be two people with the same name...  Well if he has gained the power of false life, what will he use it for?"
    "Those who are revived have their freedom stolen.  They must obey the owner of the ring"
    "It is a truely evil ring, animating the dead is disgusting."  Kirche says in a low voice.
[Something about Kirche here that I cant make out, doesn't seem overly important]
Saito nods with a firm resolution, and turns towards the water spirit.
    "I understand.  Please stop raising the water level and I guarentee you I will return your ring."
    "I believe you, if you can bring back the ring I will no longer raise the water."
    "I dont mind, to me tomorrow is no different from any other part of the future."
    "Please wait."   
Everyone stared at Tabitha in suprise.  Although she is a person... This is the first time she has spoken out.
    "What is your question?"
    "We humans have always called you the 'Wizard of Allegiance', I would like to know the reason."
    "Human, my and your existance is completely dissimilar.  I cannot understand your question completely, but I can speculate.  My existance in itself is the reason for this name.  I do not have a fixed shape, yet I will never change.  Throughout your generations I have always been here with the water."
The water spirit, trembling spoke.  The sound tremors.
    "Because you are eternally unchanging, therfore you will forever carry our pledges."
Tabitha nodded, then shut her eyes.  In the end, who has she made an oath to? [Confused me too, but the machines all agree on it]  Kirche gently puts a hand on her shoulder.
[Names slightly confusing here...  Actually this entire section is really confusing, I probbably failed it...]
[I am assuming that Guiche did something stupid and Montmorency is jealous, if I am wrong this part is going to be really, really off]
[Later text suggests this is all between Saito and Louise, which would make sense, but the translated names dont match up]
Montmorency seeing [Motonaga] appearence, immediatly pokes [Motonaga].
    "What?"
    "What oath?"
[Cant make sense of this, previous part came out pretty randomly too]
    "Mmm!  Ah... I swear that I will consider Montmorency above all others from this point forward..."
She poked [Motonaga] again.
    "I don't want to be first, I want to be the only.  Swear you love only me!"
[Motonaga] forces sad words out in a tone that most people wouldnt really believe.
    "I swear..."
[Now things start to make sense again]
Only Saito is looking at Louise's face.  Today he must tell this Louise goodby, and he cannot help but feel somewhat lonely.  Even though it was only because of the Love potion, how many times had she told him she loves him?
But the original Louise was better.  Saito perfered Louise even if he is beaten by her, or treated like a dog, he thought the original was better.
    "You are not willing to swear to me?  You dont love me?"
    "Sorry... I cannot swear to you... I cannot make a promise to the current you."
When Saito says this, she begins to cry.  Saito gently strokes her head. 
[One of the translations gave me this: Only people crying gently foreplay with the Deren-Lewis in the first.  - I laughed]
I would appreciate any comments about accuracy, I am not yet sure if this method produces worthwhile translations either so comments on that would be appreciated as well.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Vol 4 Chapter 7 Preview

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Well a few tips.

-Do not ever EVER use only a single translation machine. Use a few because what one covers the other might have trouble with.
-Use some Japanese dictionaries too (you can try JWPCE free program which latest version can be pretty good).
-Never use Babelfish. Its a plague.
-Do not be afraid to change one or two words if you already get the meaning but the direct translation sounds too weird and not normal. Real translators do that as well.
-Avoid skipping the unreadable sentences, just try them out with different translation programs and they can start making a sense.
-Learn kana, it is not so hard. Besides you do not have to actually know what each sound mean you just have to able to recognize where kanji and where kana stands. It will help you a lot.
-If you are using ATLAS always build up your dictionary memory to ease up a work for you.

I would say that so far ATLAS is the best translation opinion however, using only it will not get you a high quality. use it together with a few other translation programs and you will see how the quality of your translations increase.

As for your translation so far I can only say that it is not bad, and that it is not only copy/paste that's for sure, but it could be better if you would use japnese dictionaries and would not be afraid to sometimes change some weird sounding sentances if you understand the meaning. Because some sayings do not sound so well in english and you simply have to change one thing or two to make it fluent.
r691175002
Astral Realm

Post by r691175002 »

Right now im using Google Translation and Systran on both the chinese and japanese raws and trying to make sense of it then rewrite it.
Your tip of using some Japanese dictionaries is a good one, I will probably have good luck on the harder sentences of I get the translations of each symbol (Yeah, I dont know anything about Japanese). Hopefully I will be able to pick up a bit that way as well.
I'll take a look at ATLAS, are there any more programs you recommend? As well, are there any particular books/resources you would suggest for learning kana?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

r691175002 wrote:As well, are there any particular books/resources you would suggest for learning kana?
This should help you a bit with that.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/katakana_ex.html
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

I can help you with ATLAS so yes send me PM and i can see what I can do about you getting it.

As for dictionaries there are many but as i said from free ones i would really recommend you using JWPCE is is actually even better than most non-free dictionaries.

Learning kana, actually i do not think you need to sit down and 'learn" it, just have a quick look through it from time and time and if you will be doing machine translations and JWPCE you will learn it automatically since JWPCE is made the way that it also teaches you and the way it translates you can instantly see where kanji and where kana is.

JWPCE has a build in kana tables.

Remember that kana is used for grammar and for foreign words usually. With it you make words into adverbs and such and it is what decides the tense of the sentence and also if it is a question or negative sentence...

Once you grasp kana the sentences wills top looking so complicated to you.

If you want an example here is my latest machine translation -

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... Preview%7E

I almost finished with chapter 3 of volume 3 so will post it on later as well...

Anyways you can see that my translation is more fluent than yours because i am using dictionaries, ATLAS and also not afraid to sometimes change the word if I understand what the sentence means, but a direct translation into english would be too awkward.

i think you are on a right track and what is more important you are not afraid to work on it. despite what people think to provide a high quality machine translation is almost as hard as a real translation itself.

Now for additional help.

This site romanizes the kanji and kana. That is turns them into english letters. Though it might not important some translations do have problems with sounds like "Ah" "Oh" and instead of them translates it as a word.

http://www.kawa.net/works/ajax/romanize/japanese-e.html

Use it mostly in dialogues only, and only when the sentences is not making sense, since it is highely likely that MT is not able to deal with simple "Ah" "oh" or stammering (Louise does that a lot) .

this one is a good free dictionary site.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html

I don't use it that much though since JWPCE is basically the same just much much better.

Here is a not so bad site to learn few things about grammar.

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/node/18

here is a table of tenses

http://a1.vox.com/6a00d10a7bcba68bfa00e398ab5a210001-pi

And both Harigana and Katakana (kana) on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiragana

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana

Hiragana will be mostly used for grammar while Katakana for names and non-japanese words.

Here is a table of romanized japanese sound effects and what they mean. They are more useful in manga but they do happen in novels as well.

http://www.oop-ack.com/manga/soundfx.html

And here is some useful link to sentence ending particles, because MT usually have a LOT of trouble with those.

http://japanese.about.com/library/weekly/aa102101a.htm

Hopefully it helps. And again, don't be afraid to sometimes change the words if the direct translation sounds too awkward (but you understand what it tries to say) since thats what a real translators do as well, as there are simply some parts that you cannot translate from one language into the other and still be fluent.

Oh and one more thing. It might be a good idea to stop jumping with the tenses. In novels they shift tenses from past perfect to present or continues, it would be better to keep it past perfect or past perfect continues as englsih language is more sensitive about tenses than japanese is.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

*peeks in*
someone upload this to the wiki and slap it with a preview tag, so it'll be easier to edit.

next!

*moves to the next forum*
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
r691175002
Astral Realm

Post by r691175002 »

Thanks a lot, I've realized that machine translation is still a fair amount of work. Vaelis has sent me Vol 4 Chapter 8 so I'll take advantage of your advice and see what I can do. Once I figure that chapter out I may come back to this one and fix it up. I'll be sure to ask for help if I need any.
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

「沒想到你這人實際上是個很會對待女孩子的人呢。什麼時候把露易絲馴化到這種程度了?這孩子已經對你神魂顛倒了啊。」]

This sentence translate to roughly (I don't have my voice-reader at my family home]

I didn't know you were a person who can really take a girl. When did you domistiate Louise into this shape? This child already ready consider you a deity.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

ArchmageXin wrote:「沒想到你這人實際上是個很會對待女孩子的人呢。什麼時候把露易絲馴化到這種程度了?這孩子已經對你神魂顛倒了啊。」]

This sentence translate to roughly (I don't have my voice-reader at my family home]

I didn't know you were a person who can really take a girl. When did you domistiate Louise into this shape? This child already ready consider you a deity.
Rearrange it a bit and it should sound similar to:
"How did you manage to domesticate louise to this degree? I didn't think you were the kind of guy who was able to charm a girl, yet she is already treating you like a king! "
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:
ArchmageXin wrote:「沒想到你這人實際上是個很會對待女孩子的人呢。什麼時候把露易絲馴化到這種程度了?這孩子已經對你神魂顛倒了啊。」]

Rearrange it a bit and it should sound similar to:
"How did you manage to domesticate louise to this degree? I didn't think you were the kind of guy who was able to charm a girl, yet she is already treating you like a king! "
I am pretty sure it went beyond King to God, but it is certainly an fine sentence than what I drafted up. And Charm seem to bit un Kirche like, since she literally said "Take Care" a girl. Hint hint.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

ArchmageXin wrote:
TheGiftedMonkey wrote: Rearrange it a bit and it should sound similar to:
I am pretty sure it went beyond King to God, but it is certainly an fine sentence than what I drafted up. And Charm seem to bit un Kirche like, since she literally said "Take Care" a girl. Hint hint.
I was planning on using "entice" but Louise isn't exactly acting overly sexual, just very lovey-dovey. I know Kirche would want to pick at Saito's naughtiness, but charm seemed to fit fine in my mind. As I said before that sentence is just an example. Something similar to what it should say.
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

But you forget this is Kirche we are talking about, she would see SEX even when is not there.
r691175002
Astral Realm

Post by r691175002 »

Alright, I cleaned up my translation and clarified some of the sections. I am still not 100% sure about the ending but it is fine otherwise.

Code: Select all

Montmorency the Fragrance had begun questioning Kirche, who was rosating meat with Tabitha around a bonfire.  Guiche appeared to be completely content and had been talking loudly to himself with a glass of wine in his hand.  He seemed only too content to be traveling.  It was well past midnight, and the twin moons glittered beautifully over the surface of the lake.

"Is your wound ok?  Too bad we defeated you, I honestly admire the combination you two make."
    "Victory or defeat is also dependent on luck.  If your luck is perfect we can only run.  Besides, you were fighting alone, Guiche was useless, Montmorency was only watching and Louise only dealt the final blow."

Under the light of the bonfire, they replied:

Louise pulled her sleeve sadly.
    "Do you think Kirche is better than me?"
    "No way, I don't need to rest!  Don't you want to talk with me?  This is the 32nd time you've told me to sleep today."

It seems as if Louise had been counting the words Saito had said to her.  Although a little scary, Saito felt that Louise was really lovable at that moment.  But right now he was busy so he gently placed his hand on her shoulder and spoke as if she is was a small child:
    "We can talk afterwards, you should go to sleep.  You just cast a major spell, aren't you tired?

"What...?"

Kirche's stared at them, her mouth agape while Louise puffed up her cheeks with a temperamental look in her eyes.  Looking at each other, Guiche and Montmorency laugh; Kirche and Tabitha are still unaware of what had happened.
Saito felt extremely awkward, it would be too embarrassing to kiss Louise straight on the lips with everyone watching.  He worried for a while and finally kissed her forehead.  Louise was reluctantly satisfied, and suddenly crawled  into his lap, rests her body against his chest and closes her eyes.  Soon her breathing slows and light snoring escapes from her lips.

"How did you manage to domesticate Louise to this degree? I didn't think you were the kind of guy who was able to entice a girl, yet she is already treating you like a god!" Kirche asked in admiration.
    "It's not like that, Montmorency made a love potion and Louise accidentally drank it.  The first person she saw was me and now she has fallen in love with me."
Montmorency had sidestepped the question with a trivial answer...

"Really, a woman who has no confidence in her charms is the worst.  Don't you agree?"
    "Go die! Anyways, this isn't the time for it, how should we cure her?"
    "So argumentative...  Well I suppose we've come to the heart of the matter."
Saito explained the situation to Kirche.  In order to make the antidote, they needed the water spirit's tears.  
    "We promised to repel the attackers in exchange for the tears but..."
    "So thats was it, that's why you are protecting the water spirit?"
Kirche looked awkwardly towards Tabitha who had been staring into the fire with a glazed expression.
    "This is bad, we can't fight you but if we don't stop the water spirit Tabitha's family will be troublesome..."
Prompted by Saito, Kirche replies:
    "You see, the water levels have caused damage to the surrounding area.  Tabitha's family has suffered losses because of the damage so we have been entrusted to get rid of it."
    So that was it.  They can't go home empty handed.

Then how should they handle it...
    "Thats fine, you can stop attacking the water spirit and we can find out why the water spirit is raising the water level so much and ask it to stop."
    "This morning we negotiated with it and it agreed to give us a part of its body if we stop the attackers."
Kirche considered for a second and asked Tabitha:
Tabitha nodded.
    "Great, it's decided!  We can carry out the negotiations tomorrow!"

Early the next morning, Montmorency, like the previous day, released a small frog into the lake to call the water spirit.  The water parted and the water spirit rose up through the morning mist.
    "Water spirit, the attackers will no longer bother you, as per the agreement will you give us a part of your body?"
As Montmorency finished talking, the water spirit's body trembled and a portion of its body was repelled as a thin line into the vial Montmorency was holding.

Its promise completed, the water spirit sunk back towards the lake, however Saito quickly called for it to stop.
The water spirit rose up once again from the water's surface.
    "What, mere human?"
    "Why have you raised the water?  Please, if there is a reason can you tell us?  We would be willing to help if you can stop."
The water spirits body had grown in size and had assumed various positions.  It concluded by twisting its form into that of Montmorency in a gesture that seemed to express feeling. Perhaps its form reflected its thoughts.
    "I will considering entrusting this task to you, since you honored our previous contract I think I can trust you."

Suddenly seeming angry, the water spirit paused.  Saito said nothing, but waited for the spirit to continue.  After several shape changes, the water spirit had settled once again in Montmorency's form and continued to speak.
    "A treasure?"
    "Yes, my most important possession was stolen from the deepest part of my lake, about thirty months before the moon's crossing."
    "Are you trying to take revenge on humans by increasing the water level and flooding villages?"
    "Vengeance?  Our kind does not have that purpose.  I am simply trying to retake my treasure, and even if it takes an eternity water will slowly erode the land.  Even if I must sink the entire continent I will regain what I have lost."
This was going too far, the water spirit was willing to submerge an entire continent in order to reclaim its treasure in a process that could take hundreds, even thousands of years.
    "Our concept of time is different, for me the whole is the same as the present.  All time is the same to me, regardless of the present the future will always come.  It makes no difference as I will always exist."

The water spirit did not seem to have the concept of death.  Time on this scale would be unimaginable to a human.
    "Well we can help you retrieve your treasure, what is it?"
    "My treasure is Andvari's Ring, it has been with me until now."
Montmorency quietly replied.

"A legendary magic item of the water system.  It is said to give false life to the deceased..."
    "That is not incorrect, but death is a concept that I do not understand, therefore I cannot understand your description.  Andvari's Ring does not simply bring false life, it is the embodiment of the ancient "Strength of the Water", it is not simply a magical item."
    "Using wind magic, several humans came into my dwelling.  They did not disturb me in my slumber and took away my most prized possession."
Kirche says to herself:
    "If I haven't misunderstood, he is the new Emperor of Albion"
Everyone but Saito could not help but look at each other in dismay.
    "Could he be a different person?  There could be two people with the same name...  If he has gained the power of false life, what will he use it for?"
    "Those who are revived have their freedom stolen.  They must obey the owner of the ring."
    "It is a truly evil ring, animating the dead is a disgusting power."  Kirche says in a low voice.
Kirche continued to mutter to herself, she felt as if she should have remembered something but cannot grasp the thought.
Saito nodded with a firm resolution, and turned towards the water spirit.
    "I understand.  Please stop raising the water level and I guarantee you I will return your ring."
    "I don't care, to me tomorrow is no different from any other part of the future."
    "Please wait."   
Everyone stared at Tabitha in surprise.  Although she had been with them all this time, this is the first time she had spoken out.
    "What is your question?"
    "We humans have always called you the "Spirit of Allegiance', I would like to know the reason."
    "Human, my and your existence is completely dissimilar.  I cannot understand your question completely, but I can speculate.  My existence in itself is the reason for this name.  I do not have a fixed shape, yet I will never change.  For uncountable generations I have always been here with the water."
The water spirit, trembling, spoke.  The sound rang in the air.
    "Because you are eternally unchanging, therefore you will forever carry our hopes."
Tabitha nodded, then shut her eyes.  In the end, who had she made an oath to?  Kirche gently put a hand on her shoulder.

Montmorency, having seen Tabitha's appearance, immediately poked Guiche.
    "What?"
    "What oath?"
    "Mmm!  Ah... I swear that I will consider Montmorency above all others from this point forward..."
She poked Guiche again.
    "I don't want to be above others, I want to be the only.  Swear you love only me!"
Guiche forces sad words out in a tone that most people would find hard to believe.
    "I swear..."

Saito is looking into Louise's face.  Today he must tell this Louise goodbye, and he cannot help but feel somewhat lonely.  Even though it was only because of the Love potion, how many times had she told him that she loved him?
But Saito preferred the original Louise.  Even if he was beaten by her and treated like a dog, he thought the original was better.
    "You are not willing to swear to me?  You don't love me?"
    "Sorry... I cannot swear to you... I cannot make a promise to you the way you are."
When Saito says this, she begins to cry.  Saito gently strokes her head.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Looks good so far. Better than the previous version of course.

You should try uploading it to wiki.

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... Preview%7E

And register yourself as a preview author on registration page (you of course have to have wiki account).

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”