Editor IRC/MSN meetings (translators too? would be nice.)

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Editor IRC/MSN meetings (translators too? would be nice.)

Post by the_naming_game »

(There was something started in the workload thread, but I thought it'd be less cluttered to have all meeting-related stuff in a dedicated thread.)

Is anybody interested in starting semi-regular chat sessions to discuss editing/translation issues with the text? I find that many issues can be resolved much faster compared with forums or wiki, since the back-and-forth is sped up. I've been able to discuss things individually with some of the editors, but occasionally it would be nice to discuss with as many present as possible.
  • First, any agreements reached can be considered a majority.
  • Second, discussions about a person's edits really are best with that person present. NOT as a kind of hotseat grilling, but to be able to understand the rationale for those edits.
  • Third, if there happen to be any translators present, combined, we can keep them swamped with questions. Kidding... somewhat.
For the record, my availability:
There are days when I can be on practically any time, but in general, the most likely times are from 12am-2pm GMT -- I do sleep sometime during that period, but I can adjust that with some ease, since I tend to do only 4-5 hours contiguously.
(Some sort of wiki might be best for keeping a schedule balancing table...)

Can all the editors (Am hoping a few translators pipe up as well, since clarification from the Japanese can be invaluable.)
try to give times when they might be available, as well as what chat clients (e.g. IRC, MSN, Yahoo, ...) they use? I suppose if something has appreciably more mindshare than either IRC or MSN, that things can get switched over...

I'm thinking of weekly, though if things are less busy, it'd be less often, obviously.
Cala-kun
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Zero no Tsukaima

Post by Cala-kun »

Translator, reporting in. ;)

I'll usually be on IRC between about 5pm to at the latest, 12pm my time (GMT +12) during most weekdays. And if it's really necessary, I'll haul butt to MSN... Anyway, my contact details are here. :P
the_naming_game

Da~Mike? CrowKenobi?

Not really singling you both out; it's just that I've seen everybody else on IRC. Here is an IRC client that lets you see Japanese in-channel. At least two members of the B-T editing team use it (not me, but that's a different story.) -- how bad can it be?

So ... availability for some sort of meeting schedule if/when editing work starts up again?

(since it's not elsewhere in this thread, I'll mention it here -- #znt @ irc.rizon.net)
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

TNG is just flush from success of getting me on IRC.

But it is EVIL. it suck your soul and burn your eyes, Flee while still can!

FLEEEE!

:roll:

Plus the program messes with my MSN, i dunno whats wrong with it....IRC must hate MSN.... :evil:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Crowkenobi
Astral Realm

Post by Crowkenobi »

the_naming_game wrote:Da~Mike? CrowKenobi?

Not really singling you both out; it's just that I've seen everybody else on IRC. Here is an IRC client that lets you see Japanese in-channel. At least two members of the B-T editing team use it (not me, but that's a different story.) -- how bad can it be?

So ... availability for some sort of meeting schedule if/when editing work starts up again?

(since it's not elsewhere in this thread, I'll mention it here -- #znt @ irc.rizon.net)
I'll try it, but I'm not really enthused... I'll use MSN as well...

My availability is usually 6pm-midnight central time (unless I have to work the closing shift then it would be about 10-midnight). The best day for me would be Sunday evenings.
the_naming_game

(Do NOT flee!)

CrowKenobi:
Thanks for replying. And yes, IRC isn't really as user friendly. Probably the main reason I've started leaning in favor of that is because there are more people on IRC. X-chat probably isn't as user friendly as MSN, so I'll be using that client for awhile, just so I can help with any problems -- since it appears I've become the de-facto "push people to IRC" person, I should probably take some responsibility for making it easier for those I push.

Anyway, hope to see you in the channel sometime. Since things aren't really busy right now, there aren't any "formal" meetings needed yet, but can't hurt to get used to the whole IRC thing, eh?

I will draw up a simple setup guide for xchat sometime tomorrow or the day after.

Da~Mike:
Haven't heard from you in awhile... still around? IRC pressure aside, hope whatever's kept you away from B-T, abates. Unless it's something good. But in any case, I'll end this message before my imagination runs away with me.
Da~Mike
Astral Realm

Post by Da~Mike »

The Naming Game
I had presumed that Onizuka would have mentioned that I would be away for the week. Oh well, I guess he didn't and I shall remember to let you know as well in the future. :P

Well since you wondering, my time away was good enough to be prolonged. :P

That aside, I'm still not keen to use IRC unless there's any particular issue that desperately needs to be sorted out. Most things can be resolved using the Wiki, forum or MSN. Also the fact that I have absolutely no idea how to use IRC…
Based on past experiences (quite a lot mind you), I have spent more time chatting rather than actually discussing anything important when using any chat programmes since that is what there were designed for! :P

I'm back for now, though I'll be heading back to uni very shortly (in about 3 weeks) so I expect to have far less time to help out after then.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ahh.... I knew I forgot to do something. :roll:

Oh well. :P
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Zero no Tsukaima”