Original Light Novel: Ungodly

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

vnvnvn
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Original Light Novel: Ungodly

Post by vnvnvn »

Hi.
This will be my first light novel "attempt" so please be merciful.^^ I appreciate any advise and tips.
Special thanks to BitterSugar. I wouldn't be able to do this project without his help.

Summary:
A strange incident could be observed above the skies of numerous cities. The clouds had turned red and the sky split open. Hideous beasts, later referred to as “youkai”, descended to Earth to wreak havoc. That day marked the end of humanity’s sovereignty.

But along with the youkai's appearances came a strange phenomenon; childrens with extraordinary strength or magical powers were born. People started to call those born with such abilities, Knights or Priests.

Year 2041. The world is at war with unknown creatures. They devour and slaughter humans without reason and, in a short time of only 25 years, had already taken over USA, Africa and Europe.
To fight the monsters and prevent total annihilation, an alliance consisting of the remaining forces was formed. A huge program was started to enlist all Knights and Priests as soldiers.
Amongst them is the cold-hearted Jin, who solely lives to seek revenge for his parents.

Prologue:
Spoiler! :
"Are you serious? He killed another youkai by himself?”
“Man, my legs wouldn't stop shaking when I'm facing one and he doesn't even need a Priest to fight them...”
“But why does he refuse to bring a Priest with him?”

Chatter could be heard amongst the soldiers.

The cafeteria was usually a busy place but today it was far more boisterous than usual.
The topic everyone was talking about was the young Knight named Jin, who was silently enjoying his meal.

“You know someday this arrogance will kill you Jin,” the middle aged man who was sitting across Jin and dressed in a military uniform which had several badges attached scolded him.

“...”

The young man remained silent.

“Even if you can defeat youkais alone, wouldn't it be better to just assign a Priest? Why are you being so stubborn? Every Priest is to be paired with a Knight; that's a rule set by the alliance! You are giving me a headache with that attitude of yours.”

“...”

No response was given from Jin as the middle aged man continued to berate him.

“Hey... how can he have that attitude towards colonel Hades?”
“Man, my legs wouldn't stop shaking when I'm engaged in a conversation with the colonel.”

Soldiers who overheard the conversation started to whisper.

Hades grew impatient and as he was about to continue his objurgation, the young man finally replied.
What he said left the middle aged man and everyone who heard him speechless.

“So, what did he say?”
A general who was walking next to Hades asked.
“Well...he glared at me and said...” the colonel hesitated. “Go f*** yourself...”
The general's eyes widened as he was dumbfounded for a second. Then, after a brief moment, he burst into a laughter.
“Hahahaha, I knew he was something but I didn't expect something of such degree. Don't worry about it too much, Hades. Hahaha!”
But it didn't seem like the colonel was finished just yet. Hades gulped and started sweating as he continued, “He also said to tell the general to go f*** himself.”

“…”
Chapter 1 Memories
Spoiler! :
Berlin 2041
A mix of soldiers from different countries stood in a line as they saluted their commander. They were the remains of the German alliance forces.
One could see the traces of war by looking at their uniforms and faces; the bags under their eyes, that were formed due to sleep deprivation and the uniforms that were torn and so dirty that one could hardly recognize them, made these soldiers a sad sight to look at.

They were young, none of them exceeded the age of 25, but they had seen and lived through more horrifying things than anyone else.
Usually, these soldiers would be sent to their home country, be celebrated as heroes and given some kind of a medal. But unfortunately for them, they weren't normal humans. These soldiers were Knights and Priests who only had two options in life.
To either die a dog's death by the hand of youkais, or to prevail and survive for the next day, only to find themselves on another battlefield.

25 years ago when the youkais first appeared, a strange phenomenon occurred. Children with mysterious marks on their wrist, resembling either swords or religious crosses, were born. This happened to approximately 1 out of 1000 newborns, all over the world. It was only later discovered, that these children had inexplicable powers that could be used to fight youkais. People started calling them the “gifted generation”.

Usually being born as such would make one special. That was the case, but feeling happy about it was out of question. Having the power to fight the youkais did not mean that it was an easy task to do.

Before the youkai appeared humans fought against each other and even started wars. Soldiers who were trained to fight would still be scared once they were sent to the battlefield to kill other humans.
Fighting against a youkai was a completely different case. These monsters weren't human and therefore didn't have a shred of humaneness. They brutally slaughtered and ate humans without a second thought. It wasn't uncommon for soldiers to be eaten alive while desperately crying for help.

No human in their right mind would torture another to death to such degree, even to an enemy.
There wasn't anyone on Earth who didn't know about the terror of the youkais. Hence, it was an honorable act to voluntarily enlist as a soldier.

Unfortunately, being born as a gifted child didn't allow one to be honorable on this matter. Humankind’s only weapon against the youkai were the Knights and Priests. Being born into the gifted generation was equivalent to being born a soldier. Even if one thinks it wasn't fair, there was nothing that could be done to change that fate.

The way they chose to life live was limited to, either die a dog's death by the hand of youkais, or to prevail and survive for the next day, only to find themselves on another battlefield.
With these two as the only options for their life, the soldiers were having a hard time accepting the order that was about to be given.

They had gathered in Berlin and were saluting the German-Poland-Romanian commander, colonel Tyr, who had a wary expression as he faced the survivors.

“Your next destination is Moscow! Be prepared to move by tomorrow morning!
We've lost a lot already. BUT we won't give up on humankind yet!”

If this was a typical war movie, the soldiers would probably start to cheer and show their unyielding spirit. But it wasn't. This was reality.
The only thing that remained after the order was given, were the devastated looks and the faint sound of sobbing.

Well, that was to be expected.

The colonel thought to himself as he walked past the crowd. He was someone who believed the current system, to forcibly recruit soldiers, to be wrong but he nevertheless couldn't deny the necessity of the gifted generation. His eyes wandered across the crowd while briefly scanning the soldiers expression.

They stopped at a young mans face, who looked to be around 20 years old. The man's name tag on his chest showed his name - Jin Martinez. A badge on his right breast pocket identified his military rank.

Major at such a young age. Impressive.

He had the facial features of a Japanese but the stature of an European. His height was around 1.80 m and his medium-long hair had a dark brown color.

Even with his uniform which effectively covered his body, one could see that the man was well-built. His face was something that would be described as handsome, if asked. He was one of those who were probably hated by males but loved by females.

But it wasn't his feature that made Tyr stare at him. It was his cold expression. Dark eyes reflecting the abyss, seemingly shutting off the world around him.
Jin, unlike most of the other soldiers who looked either depressed or angry, had a different look on his face.

"Eyes that have lost all hope...
It's saddening to see someone so young to wear that expression.
I pray that you find your light again."

The colonel murmured to himself as he left the site.

"I heard you had another fight with colonel Hades,” a youthful looking boy tried to start a conversation. His facial features and his black hair suggested he was Asian. The boy was wearing the typical black military coat which all soldiers wore during the winter seasons.

Jin knew this guy. His name was Daisuke Kiyoshi, someone he fought alongside for 3 years and also someone who acted before he thought of the consequences. But something was off.

This idiot shouldn't be here...
Thinking about it, where am I? I'm supposed to be in Moscow.

Jin looked around to examine his surroundings.
Right now, he was in a watchtower which was adequate enough to fit around four people. Currently, the only people occupying the tower were two similar dressed 16-year old boys.

The tower was tall enough to provide a full view over the whole city and the surrounding vicinity. Like many others it was build with the purpose of detecting the dreadful yokais.

This should be Bonn - Germany's second stronghold. I see... so this must be a memory from four years ago. Seems like I'm dreaming right now.

“It wasn't a fight. He was just nagging about the usual,” Jin replied in a calm tone.

Hearing his comrade answer in his standard manner, Daisuke could only smile lightly with a can't-be-helped look, “I've known you for three years already. I know better than anyone else that you will be fine by your own. But still... I'd feel better knowing if you had someone by your side.”

Daisuke stopped momentarily to look Jin in the eyes before continuing with an mischievous smile, “There are a lot of pretty priestesses around. Imagine the ruckus if rumors that the infamous Jin Martinez was looking for a priest got out. We could create our own harems!”

Apparently, this guy wasn't thinking about his friends safety but only of his own advantages.

Even though the term Knights and Priests was common, it was more appropriate to be called Knights and Priestesses. As of now, the only male priests were below 1%. Same can be said for the female Knights ratio.

Jin knitted his eyebrows as he asked himself, should I hit him?

He was seriously considering it but discarded the idea and decided to tease him with a modest smile instead, “Maybe I should tell your sister about this. A siscon like you, who writes letters to her on a daily base, wouldn't like that, I'm assuming?”

Fearing the threat, Daisuke immediately got on his knees and grabbed Jin's legs, “I'm sorry sir, I was wrong. Please don't tell her!”

...This guy would die for his sister.

Jin sighed at the apology that made even him who was only watching, feel embarrassed.

“Don't worry, it's not like I could tell her even if I wanted to.”

Having heard that, Daisuke showed a relieved expression as he stroked his head, “Right, I forgot. You don't even know her.”

He let go of the legs and displayed a stoic look.
After a short moment of decision-making, he came to a conclusion.
Still kneeling, he took a letter out of his military coat and presented it to Jin.

Seeing his friends puzzled expression Daisuke followed his action with the words, “Love letter. Please go out--ugh”

His sentence was stopped halfway, when his stomach was hit by a black boot, that came flying at a frightening speed.
Disgusted by Daisuke's actions Jin had decided to respond in a arbitrary manner, even though he knew that it was only a joke after seeing the recipient's name on the letter.

To Maria” read the italic words written on it.

Daisuke, held onto his stomach and coughed violently as he questioned their friendship.
How could he hit his only friend that hard?

It took several seconds for him to regain his composure.
Jin, on the other hand, looked down at Daisuke as if he was a mere excretion produced by a dog. Sympathy was nowhere to be seen.

This guy is the devil! Daisuke thought as he slowly stood up, still holding his belly in pain.

He had a second thought about handing the letter over but decided to do it anyway. After all, he knew what kind of person Jin was and he was also partly at fault.

Once again, he stretched out his hand that was holding the letter and spoke the real reason, “This is my will. I want you to give it to my sister if something happens to me.”

Due to the graveness of the words, Jin could tell that his friend was being serious. Daisuke looked like an carefree idiot who would forsaken the world for the well being of his sister. That was the conclusion Jin came to after knowing him for three years. His action seemed to hold meaning to that judgement.

“What do you mean?” Jin, not understanding the meaning asked, “You are one of the strongest Knights I have ever met. Even the most vigorous cockroach isn't as tough as you.”

In his eyes, Daisuke was someone who could raise every soldiers' morale, given any situation. He was someone who could change the tide of a battle with his remarkable commanding abilities and exceptional fighting strength. His name was well known amongst the soldiers at the battlefront. The thought that a guy like this could die never crossed his mind. Not even once.

“I'm not confident.” Daisuke looked up at the white winter sky with a somewhat poignant expression, “I don't think I can survive through this. I can pretend to be alright but in reality, I'm not....It's frightening to walk into the battlefield and see your comrades die one after another. You start to wonder when your day will come. And I know it's inevitable."

Daisuke shifted his gaze to look at a confused Jin. “You are strong. I know that you will make it.”

Those words came with a smile, but it didn't conceal the melancholic emotion which was evident in his eyes.

Ah... that's right. This was the day before he died.

When Jin opened his eyes, he found himself back in reality. He felt a warm liquid run down his cheeks.

It really is an unpleasant memory.

Chapter 2 Before the Battle
Spoiler! :
2037 Bonn
Around 5000 soldiers where divided into squads and were ordered to gather at Bonn's pedestrian area, which was barely able to fit the mass number of soldiers.

Earlier scouts had sighted a huge number of youkais that was headed towards the city. Because of this, squad leaders were ordered to gather their respective groups, which roughly held 100 soldiers in each squad, and inform them about the objective they were told beforehand.

Jin, who had the rank of a captain along with Daisuke, was forced to become a squad leader against his will. He wasn't interested in his title, but his remarkable skills compelled him to climb up the ranks in a frightening speed.

A squad leader who doesn't care about his team. What a joke.

He knew that most of his squad members agreed with him on this matter. Accusing him of an incompetent commander wasn't incorrect, but strangely enough the casualty rate in his squad wasn't any higher compared to the others. This was most likely due to his exceptional fighting skills that compensated for his lacking leadership abilities.

“Good morning, my lovely comrades!” Daisuke had his usual cheerful voice and idiotic smile that didn't fit the current situation as he stood in front of his squad.

There surely must be a lot of soldiers who are tempted to hit that careless face, Jin thought in a cynical manner.

“Today, I have great news.”

He really is asking for it.

Ignoring the annoyed faces, Daisuke continued to speak, “A large group of youkais has been spotted. They are coming from the west and the estimated time of arrival is noon. Their numbers should be around... um... what was it?”

He turned to his side to find an answer. There stood a girl with blond, shoulder-long hair and a petite figure. Her name was Hana. She was probably regretting her choice to become the careless man's priestess, as she whispered the answer to him.

“5000?! What? That's great! Around the same as us. Hahaha!”

Did I just hear the sound of swords being unsheathed?

Feeling the murderous intent that was directed at him made him quickly get back to the point.

“Anyway, the plan is as follows. Squad 1 to 20 will defend the Southern area of the city. Squad 21, that's us by the way, to 30 will stay in the central and the remaining squads will be stationed north. Use the surrounding buildings to your advantage, since youkais can be quite big and will have trouble fighting in narrow areas. Hiding in buildings and ambushing them at the right time will be the best way to fight them. I'll give you further details about your exact positions later. Our mission is to kill as many youkais as possible before retreating to the next stronghold located at Siegen!"

He paused for a moment and examined the soldiers with a sincere look. "But your most important mission is to survive! You may think your life is meaningless right now, but I promise, if you keep on living, one day your efforts will be rewarded. Dismissed!”

His squad, as if the accumulated anger from before had disappeared, replied with an unified, “YES SIR!”

Even if he is an idiot, he's at least as good a commander. Approving of his friends suitability as a leader, the corner of Jin's mouth rose slightly.

He himself found it to be a hassle to give speeches, so he made sure to place his squad next to Daisuke's to spare him from that.

“You heard the idiot. Squad 15 is to be stationed south. For further details about the precise location... ask the other squads. Dismissed,” he spoke in a nonchalant manner and walked away from his squad he had no particular feelings for.

“If it isn't Colonel Tyr! Good to see you still alive,” a bald man with a face covered with scars and an intimidating expression approached Tyr, who was watching the young soldiers gearing for the upcoming battle.

“Same to you Hades. I'm glad you didn't kick the bucket yet,” Tyr responded in a friendly manner.

The atmosphere between these two suggested that they were old war buddies.

“So what do you think?” Hades leaned back on the wall behind him. “How many will make it today?”

Being asked by that question saddened Tyr, as he knew the meaning behind it. He looked like a parent who was watching his children about to set off to a hopeless battle.

“It's the same as always,” Tyr sighed. “These soldiers don't fight because they want to. They do, because they have to. Curse the god who made them that way.” The last sentence clearly contained resentment.

“The gifted generation, huh? Well, we adults are powerless. We have no other choice besides sending these youths out to win against the youkais.”

“WIN?!” Agitated Tyr gave Hades a sharp glare, “Hades, you know as good as me what this is for.”

That's right. Hades knew what the stronghold system was for.

Youkai have shown tendency to be attracted to places with high human density. Therefore, the military evacuated the surrounding cities to make sure that the enemy would attack the strongholds. There was a reason why this had to be done.

25 years ago, the youkais first appeared in the US and Africa. Humanity used all it's available weapon to fight against the enemy but that proved to be futile. When humans used guns or explosives to kill them, they would respond by mutating their skin to steel-like properties.

When humans utilized toxin, they would reproduce the poison and use it against humans. The youkais evolved in a terrifying speed. Whatever mankind used to fight them, they would adapt shortly after.

It took the youkais less than a year to wipe out the majority of Africa's population.
4 years later, the lost of Earth's most powerful country, the USA, was declared.
The situation was dire. God seemed to have abandoned humankind.
However, just when everything appeared to be hopeless, the “gifted generation” was discovered - around the same time when the US was declared to have lost.

After losing the above mentioned continents, a global alliance consisting of the remaining countries was formed. The Grand Union (GU). The GU ordered every country to forcibly recruit Knights and Priests and immediately train them.

To mankind's luck, youkai had one weakness that took time for them to adapt to. They couldn't swim. That flaw prevented them to cross the sea and invade Europe, giving the world five years to enlist and train the gifted children.

But that time wasn't nearly enough to prepare for a decisive war. After that short period, the oldest soldiers from the gifted generation were merely at the age of ten. Having these kids fight at the frontline and expecting to win was delirious. Therefore, the Grand Union had to make a decision which would, no matter what situations, be described as inhuman. The order to stall time was given and with that the stronghold system came to life.

“I will never be able to forgive myself for destroying the future of so many youths...”Tyr said, in disdain to himself.

“Don't be so hard on yourself. I know you wouldn't have done this if you had any other choices,” Hades tried to comfort his friend who blamed himself.

“Anyway, I actually came over to look for someone. Did you see a soldier at the age of 16 who has the rank of a captain? He has remarkable fighting skills - you probably know him,” he changed the topic which was leading to nowhere but despair.

A moment of thinking passed before Tyr answered, “Oh you must mean that cheerful Japanese youth. Captain Kiyoshi, was it? I'm certain he will be a great commander one day.”

Hearing an unexpected name, Hades was taken aback for a moment.

“No, the one I'm talking about is Japanese as well, but only half. And cheerful? Hahaha! There is no way we are talking about the same person.”

“I see. So we have another 16-year old captain at the front lines?”

Jin was someone with few words, hence he unintentionally kept a low profile.
To Tyr it was the first time hearing about his existence.

“Yes, and he's quite something. If it wasn't for his rotten personality, he'd make a great commander. But hearing about that other youth you mentioned makes me want to meet him. Let's hope both of them survive today's battle.”

“I agree. Let's hope so.”

They both earnestly wished for that.
Time flew by quickly. There was less than an hour left before the enemy would arrive.

The soldiers were about to finish their preparations. Well, even if one called it preparations there wasn't really anything to prepare.

Knights, as the name implies, mostly used a combination of a sword and a shield or a lance to fight. There were exceptions, but weapon handling weren't their main ability.
They were born with the ability to manipulate the Ki that resides inside their body to any part they desired it to be - such as weapons or body parts. Depending on the density of the Ki, ones weapon could increase in it's deadliness or it's durability and defense capability.

Even so, an average Knight was only capable of causing non-lethal wounds to the youkais and therefore were unable to kill them by themselves without the help of a Priest.

Priestesses used holy prayers to demolish the youkais. Prayers took a long time to chant and was cancelled if they were interrupted. If that was to happen the Priestess would have to start the prayer from the beginning.

This was why they needed Knights to protect them from the youkais as the creatures were aware of the damage the Priestesses can inflict and often targeted them.
The cooperation between a Knight and a Priestess was inevitable in order to defeat the youkais.

However, there were those who didn't follow this principle. One of them was Jin, who was currently sitting on a bench at the pedestrian area - polishing his sword.

“Captain, how come you always look so calm? Don't you fear them?”A soft voice asked in a curious manner as the person sat down beside Jin.

The voice belonged to the female who stood next to Daisuke when he held his speech - Hana. She wore a white coat along with fitting black pants and boots. It was the regular uniform for females during the winter seasons.

Hana was popular amongst the Knights because of her lovable demeanor. Jin, even though he wasn't really interested, didn't deny her cuteness. He always thought that she looked so feeble that the slightest ruckus would 'break' her. She had the look of an ill girl that threatened to faint any moment.

“I do fear them, but I loathe them even more,” he replied with a neutral tone despite the heaviness of his words.

“I see...that's really amazing.”

Surprised by the unexpected response Jin looked at the girl who blankly stared at the ground.

“As for me, I'm really, really scared of them. I...” Hana stopped momentary and said with a painful expression.“...I don't want to die yet.”

“....”

“There are so many things that I still want to do..." With watered eyes she spoke in regret. "Like going to school and making a lot of friends....or falling in love and getting married. And I even want to do that cosplay thing that captain Kiyoshi told me about.”

snivel. Looking like she was about to break out into tears she raised her head and gave Jin a helpless look.

“It's not fair! There are so many things that I still haven't done yet! Can't I just run away and hide until this is all over?” Releasing the depression that had accumulated her words sounded like a desperate cry for help.

Jin and Hana weren't on particularly good or bad terms. She always followed Daisuke, who liked to hang out with Jin. That gave them the opportunity to occasionally chat... although, one would not call it a chat. It was usually a trivial smalltalk-like questions from Hana's side and Jin answering halfheartedly.
But right now, Hana expressed her earnest desire to Jin. Even so, Jin wasn't someone who couldn't differ between reality and sympathy.

“You can't. You have a duty as a Priestess,” he refused her in his usual flat tone.

To the brutal reality the priestess couldn't help but feel wronged. She already expected Jin's answer but a part of her was still wishing for him to say, "You can.”

I already know, but it's just..

His next words stopped the emotions that were about to flow. They came with confidence and a faint smile, “But you won't die. You didn't choose him to be your knight for no reasons, right?”

Hana looked at Jin's face as if to confirm his seriousness. Realizing the sincerity behind the words she calmed herself.

How despicable of me..., she used her arm to wipe her teary eyes as she forced a happy expression.

Daisuke had been her knight for two years already and not once did he fail to protect her.

“You are right.” Seemingly having received the answer she wanted to hear, Hana stood up as she gave her farewells, “It's about time. I'm really sorry... thank you for listening to me and... please don't die, captain Martínez.”

With a salute, she took her leave.

Jin responded with a light smile as he returned the salute. “Same to you, Hana.”
Last edited by vnvnvn on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 16 times in total.
You won't succeed, unless you try.
mania_
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Original Light Novel: Ungodly

Post by mania_ »

Looks good so far! The plot summary sounds interesting, and I really enjoy Jin's attitude. :P He seems quite entertaining in his own way. It's hard to tell where exactly the story will be going, so I'd definitely like to read more! (Especially if the humorous bits don't stop after the prologue, haha.)
vnvnvn
Kyonist

Post by vnvnvn »

Thanks.
Actually I'm looking for something like an editor fluent in english. Nothing professional of course. Just a native speaker would be fine, since I'm from Germany.
I'm not that confident in my english writing skills, so even if I have the ideas and the german version for the chapters, I can't really post them just like that.
If anyone thinks that this could get interesting, (even if you can't really judge yet cause there is no content^^) feel free to contact me. I'd appreciate it. :)
mania_
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by mania_ »

Funny thing is, I'm a native German speaker as well, but my problem is translating my light novel from English into German. I just feel like Japanese and English are better suited for light novel-style writing.

Unfortunately both my proof reader and I are too busy to work on any other projects, but I'd definitely be interested in reading the German version.
oninn
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by oninn »

Well, I read it. Good job.

The summary was not that original... but the way the prologue was delivered was good. If you're curious, google ZX Ignition (a new anime series being aired this season). It has a similarity, right?

Inclined just for you.
I am normal.
vnvnvn
Kyonist

Post by vnvnvn »

I know what you mean mania_. German for light novel sounds kind of off and awkward. It doesn't flow like with english I guess, if that makes any sense for you^^
But thank you for being interested anyway. I will try to post the english version of Chapter 1 really soon. I finished translating it just now.

onion thanks for your feedback I really appreciate every critic. Honestly I never heard of Z/X Ignition before, but I do agree that the Plot sounds similar. I'm a fan of survival mangas like Terra Formers, Gantz or Btooom so this project was actually inspired by these mangas. It will probably head towards a more serious and dark atmosphere. I don't plan to leave the comedic parts away but I will also say it now that if I continue this light novel, it won't be a typical comedy action shounen thing.
Last edited by vnvnvn on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
virgo327
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka!

Post by virgo327 »

So far, I really like your timeline- the year, futuristic combined with middle ages (ex.knights..) and I like the names too :))
vnvnvn
Kyonist

Post by vnvnvn »

Thank you for showing interest in this.
Chapter 1 is out. I know it's short and I will probably keep this length for all chapters because I won't focus on details that much. Anyway tell me what you think :)
bakabaka
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by bakabaka »

This is really nice so far. good job. I like how you show the despair of the world but still include humorous parts. :D
There is just one thing I'm not happy about. Why? Why do you want to kill Daisuke?;_; I know it's your story and all but seriously..Don't kill him!>_< I already love his character and wish to read more of him^^. and also...the way chapter 2 ended makes me think that you are going to kill Hana too? :( don't kill her xD
vnvnvn
Kyonist

Post by vnvnvn »

bakabaka wrote: There is just one thing I'm not happy about. Why? Why do you want to kill Daisuke?;_; I know it's your story and all but seriously..Don't kill him!>_< I already love his character and wish to read more of him^^. and also...the way chapter 2 ended makes me think that you are going to kill Hana too? :( don't kill her xD
I'm glad to hear that you like him^^. But well, for the sake of the story some characters will die. I don't think it's a spoiler since I already announced Daisuke's death in chapter 1.
I will probably upload chapter 3 pretty soon (this week maybe). Thanks for reading.
caparo
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by caparo »

Awesome story! I love the setting and the characters here. Am excited about the next chapter!
vnvnvn
Kyonist

Post by vnvnvn »

Chapter 3 The uncrowned hero
Spoiler! :
Moscow, also known as “The Fortress”. The name was appropriate to the city that was covered by a massive iron wall with a height of 30 meter and a vast amount of artillery integrated on the wall. Explosives couldn't kill youkais, but they were able to stall their attack.

The sun smiled happily upon the soldiers and the cloudless blue sky predicted a fine day. Despite this, it wasn't hot. In fact, the temperature was just right and 'comfortable' was an understatement.
Yet, the sound of footsteps sounded extremely exhausting and the heavy atmosphere made it clear that this wasn't a fine day.

The vicinity of the iron gate, that served as city entrance, was filled with agitated chatter.
“That's all that survived?”
“No way...”
“Wasn't their number around 30000 in the beginning!?”
Soldiers who saw the remains of the German alliance were clearly shocked as they watched them march in. Only a few soldiers and a handful of vehicles passed the gate.

They had gathered to salute the survivors, though most of them perceived this event as the start of a death countdown rather than a welcome for comrades.

“It's hopeless...humanity is done for," a blond knight called Eric, started mumbling in fear. “We will all be slaughtered by the youkais!”

The soldiers who heard him could only lower their heads in silence. They didn't think he was wrong.

“Tch... retard,” an annoyed voice, that was clearly directed at the blonde, resounded. It wasn't said loudly, but due to the fact that the person who spoke stood next to the blonde, it was only natural for him to hear it.

Eric turned to his side and grabbed the knight beside him by the collar. Straight black hair, medium height at around 1.70 m - obviously quite a bit smaller than the blonde himself - but his frowning expression showed no signs of fear. Rather, it gave off an intimidating presence.

“What was that?!” Eric asked in a threatening manner.

“Are you deaf? I said 'retard'. Want me to spell it?" the black haired knight, repeated his words in a clearly irritated tone.

Eric pulled him closer, feeling agitated by the rudeness the man yielded.
“You don't get it, don't you?! Look at them,” he pointed his finger at the line of people who were entering the city, “There are barely a 100 left! Do you know how many there were in the beginning?! If you don't know shit, you should just ---”

The next moment, Eric was sent flying.The body hit the asphalt with a painful sound along with a cloud of dust.

Soldiers who witnessed the scene were stunned. Most of them could only follow up to the point when the blonde knight grabbed the dark-haired knight. The next moment, the blonde was on the ground a few feet away.

A priestess voiced the question every spectator had in mind, “What was that?”

“That's jiu-jitsu,” another priestess started to explain. “A-chan is an 8. Dan, you shouldn't mess with him.”

The priestess, who was speaking, also had dark-hair which was tied in a pony-tail. She wore a black tank top and green ranger pants. Her name was Miki.

“Oh and also... I'm his personal priestess, so, hands off,” she added with a childish smile.

This time, the roles were reversed. A-chan, whose actual name was Ando, squatted down and grabbed the prone lying Eric by his collar. He looked down at him and started to talk. “Listen up, retard. The stronghold system was created for a certain purpose. Even a birdbrain like you should know that purpose, right?”

The scene resembled a delinquent who was picking on the weak.

The stronghold system's purpose was to stall time. It was a common fact which almost every soldiers were aware of.

Shocked, Eric nodded his head hesitantly. Previously, he thought he could mess with Ando since he was one head taller, but that quickly proved to be wrong.

“Good. Now then, let me teach you a little bit about history,” Ando continued with a lecture, “We, the gifted generation, were recruited 5 years after the first appearance of the youkais. Ever since then, we received military training. Now, how long does that make?”

He answered the question himself. “It took 5 years for the youkais to cross the sea, 4 years to defeat the Spanish-British alliance, another 4 years for the France-Italian alliance and 7 years for the German-Poland-Romanian alliance... that makes 20 years to prepare for this moment. Two decades worth of spilled blood that we have to shoulder and all you retard can do is spout bull-shit about the end of humanity?!”

His voice was filled with anger. He tightened his grip and pulled his prey closer.

“I don't know about a retard like you, but I definitely won't get eaten.”

The Grand Union consisted of all survivor nations. To provide the individual countries with the longest possible time to train the knights and priests, several alliances were formed such as the Spanish-British alliance or the French-Italian alliance. Allied countries had the duty to help targeted countries by sending military forces. This strategy used quantity to compensate for the lack of quality.

The German alliance was expected to hold for around 4 years. However, it surprisingly lasted for 7 years. In that time spawn, there were numerous amounts of knights and priestesses that passed the age of 20 and finished their military training.
20 years of stalling time and sacrificing. The preparations had now come to an end and the time for humanity's offense had arrived.

A regular soldier shouldn't know about that yet, but Ando concluded it himself, given the huge number of soldiers from different nationalities and the various high ranking officers, that were present at Moscow. The meeting of the higher ups that was scheduled in the next morning will most likely confirm his assumption, he predicted.

Ando was still grabbing onto Eric, when a shadow darkened his view.
A man, who was sitting on one of the vehicles truck beds a moment ago, stood in front of them and gave out an order in a flat tone.

“Move it...”

The conflict between the two Knights had halted the march. Although it wasn't Ando's intention when he threw Eric to the ground, their positions were blocking the path nevertheless.

He was already in a foul mood because of Eric. The arrogant sounding order only added fuel to the fire.

Tch.
He clicked his tongue and looked up to glare at the person in front of him.

“And who might you be?”

Ando wasn't someone who was afraid of superiors since, even when his rank was only that of a lieutenant, he knew that he was stronger than most of the captains.

Ignoring the question, the Knight repeated his words with his indifferent tone.

“Move it...”

First that blond retard and now this guy. This is pissing me off
, Ando gritted his teeth.

His short temper was notorious among his fellow soldiers, but he still tried to hold himself back. But that soldier's attitude had crossed the line. Ando had a high sense of pride. He couldn't bear that he was looked down upon by eyes that seemed to have the words 'small fry' reflected in them.

"You are messing with the wrong man. Let me show you what happens when you step over the line," he was getting ready to launch his attack but a daunting chill stopped him.

What the..? His intention was to bring his opponent down, but his body didn't listen. It were his instincts that prevented him from moving.
I should be able to ground him in 1 second. But what is this feeling? It's like my guts are telling me not to move. He was confused of his own behaviour.
That's when he realized that his body was trembling.Impossible, this feeling... is it fear?
In his perplexity, he took another glance at the knight above him.
It was someone he had never met before, but a look at the name plate on the knight's right chest made him widen his eyes in shock.
Jin Martínez.
A thought shot through his mind. It seemed like he had remembered something crucial just now that made him change his attitude in a split second.
“I- I'm sorry for causing a commotion sir.”
He quickly stood up and took a salute stance to apologize while avoiding eye contact. His irritated expression from before changed to an 'oh shit' expression. His thoughts reflected his expression: oh shit.

“It's alright. Now move it.”

“Yes sir.”

To Ando, that indifferent reply felt like an acquittal to a death verdict. He turned around and left the road at a fast pace.

“Miki, we are leaving. Hurry!”

He grabbed the arm of his priestess and pulled her away from the crowd of soldiers. She, on the other hand, couldn't comprehend what was happening.

“Huh, w-wait. What's happening?”

“Shut up and follow me,” Ando sounded like he was in panic.

They continued to walk until the march was out of sight. Miki, who was rather short had to run to follow Ando's big strides. She had to catch her breath when they finally stopped.

“Huff... Wh...why are you in such a hurry... who was that guy?”

She still didn't understand why the usually fearless Ando was acting like that.

“You should have just kicked his ass like you always do,” Miki suggested with a cheeky expression.

“Idiot. Do you know who that was?”

Ando, who, by now, had his usual expression - a constant frown - back, denied her idea quickly.

She had a puzzled expression being asked the question. Miki and Ando were childhood friends and she knew Ando as a guy, who never gave a shit about the person he was against. That was why his attitude was always unacceptable towards whoever he met. Hence, he barely had any friends other than her and also never had a girlfriend, she thought. Just now was the first time she had seen him so flustered.

“I think his nameplate said Martínez or so. Hmm... Martínez?” She cupped her chin with her hand and tilted her head. “Nope. never heard of him,” was her answer after a full minute.

“That was Jin Martínez, also known as 'Black Flames Martínez', one of the six war heroes.”

The 'six war heroes' was a term that went around among the soldiers. It was a title for knights with legendary strength that surpassed even the typical knight's limits. Knights who have fought and survived countless battlefields. A title that every dedicated knight aimed for and every priestess wanted to be close to.

“One of the six? Wait, that can't be! I remember all of the six names and there is definitely no 'Black flames'!”

She proved her statement by reciting the names.

“Hannibal the Warlord, Godshield Castro, Blue Haze Basri, Godlight Walker, Jerome the Immortal and lastly, the rookie, Kiyoshi the Saint. That should be all of them, right?”

Miki was sure that her information were accurate, but Ando had said otherwise. His next words confused her.

“You aren't wrong Miki. That would be right, if Kiyoshi was still alive,” he said while looking at Miki in the eyes. “4 years ago, Captain Daisuke Kiyoshi would have received his title as the sixth hero. But on the day ,that he was to be 'crowned', he died on the battlefield.”

“What? I've never heard about 'the Saint' having died. In fact I've never even heard about a hero dying. I thought to become one, one had to possess monstrous strength.”

Ever since the first war hero was crowned, none of them had died yet. That was how the story goes.

“Kiyoshi was a monster compared to a normal soldiers strength, but regarded as the weakest among the six. Even so he worked the hardest to protect his friends. He would risk his life to save his comrades, even if it was merely for a soldier in the lowest ranks. That's how he earned himself the title of 'The Saint'. I don't know the whole story, but I heard that four years ago, he had to face a certain youkai, a minotaur.”

Most of the yokais resembled mystical beings like minotaurs, basilisks, chimaeras etc. They came in different sizes and forms. The tallest youkai that was recorded was a cyclops with a height of 25 meters.

"A minotaur?" Miki was surprised to hear that but it also made her understand the story better.

Minotaur youkais were rare. They were creatures with bodies that resembled the human anatomy and the head of a beast. Like most of the youkais their claws and fangs were sharp and could easily tear flesh. With a height of around 4 meters, they were small compared to other youkais.
Despite that, minotaurs are rated as one of the most dangerous youkais. Their strong legs and body built gave them unmatched speed and agility. These characteristics made them a nightmare on the battlefield. A split moment of carelessness was enough to get shredded to pieces.
There aren't many who survived an encounter with this creature.

“But then how come I've never heard about this? There surely would be quite an uproar if one of the heroes died.”

“Martínez received his title on the day Kiyoshi would have received his. In a sense you could say that he replaced him. But Black Flames never acknowledged his title as one of the six, so that's why the name 'Kiyoshi the Saint' is still passed around among the soldiers. But technically speaking Kiyoshi was never a hero, so the fact that no war hero has died yet is true.”

“Then that means that people think the sixth hero is the Saint when in fact it's actually Black Flames? That's kinda complicating.” Miki frowned as she processed the information.

“That's right. Though I'm not sure if it's correct to officially call him the sixth war hero. There aren't many who know about his existence and he hasn't accepted his title yet, so that makes him an uncrowned hero, I guess. ” Ando corrected his previous statement.

“But why doesn't he acknowledge the title... doesn't he like the name? I think Black Flames sounds really cool.”

“I don't think that this is about the name. I heard Martínez and Kiyoshi used to be very close. Seems like Kiyoshi was the only one to get close to that guy. It's probably his conscious. He must be thinking that he snatched that title away from his friend or something...”
Ando came to that conclusion after thinking about it.

“I see. So that's it,” she spoke with a low voice. The conversation would have ended with that but there was still one thing she was curious about.

“Why is it Black Flames?”

“That is..” he stared towards the horizon they came from. “I don't know.”
He paused shortly to remember something from the past.
“But I was told that he was the most dangerous among the six.”

*knock knock*
Jin had just awoken from an unsettling dream when he heard the sound of someone knocking on his door. Right now, he was in a room at a newly built military dorm. The high rank of a Major gave him the privilege of having a single room to himself.

He went to rest in his room following his arrival in Moscow. When he opened his eyes, the sun had already set a long time ago. A digital clock on the dresser next to his bed showed the time, 2:14 am.
What's this now? Jin thought. He was already in a foul mood because of the dream he just had but the fact that someone disturbed his well-deserved rest in the middle of the night, was even more vexing.

He left his bed and walked towards the door. “Who is it?” Jin called out with a cold voice.

“It's Hades. I need to talk to you for a second. Open up.” The person, who stood at the corridor, identified himself as a certain scary looking colonel who used to nag Jin in the past.

At the moment, the highest rank a knight had attained was the rank of Major. The following ranks would be Colonel, Major General and lastly, the General.
A Major's duty was to give orders to the captains who followed under him. They (the Majors) were the ones who were responsible for the battle strategies and the escape plans.

Colonels on the other hand, didn't give orders to Majors. Yet, a Major would still have to accept the subordinate role to a colonel. Their job was to travel from stronghold to stronghold, seize an overview of the situation and decide on the next destination.

“Hold it,” Jin moved his hand toward the doorknob. He placed his fingers on the key below the doorknob and turned it anti-clockwise. A click signaled that the door was now locked.

“It's past 2 AM. I don't care what you want to talk about. Come back tomorrow.”
He went back to his bed and lied down.

“...”

Hades was bewildered by what had just happened. He was accustomed to Jin's attitude, but for that guy to lock him, his superior, out... Even he didn't expect that level of rudeness.

“You cocky brat! Open up right now!”
The colonel hammered his hand against the door, but it was futile. Jin had already closed his eyes and was doing his best to ignore the noise.

The commotion attracted curious soldiers, who were woken by the ruckus. That night would definitely become a popular gossip topic in the next morning.

Hades continued to hammer for a while, but he stopped shortly after, as he realized that his action wouldn't lead to anything productive. Moreover, the soldiers who were peeking out from their rooms convinced him to stop.

“Fine. Have it your way! Don't you dare complain tomorrow that you weren't told!”
Hades took his leave with a threat. The corridor became silent again.

Come to think of it, there is a meeting scheduled for tomorrow morning. Despite the fact that Jin was giving his hardest to block out the colonel's cries, he still heard them.
He probably wanted to talk about the contents of that meeting. Jin was slightly bugged about Hades last sentence, but knowing that there was no point thinking about it, he once again closed his eyes and went back to sleep.

The next day would bring a shocking surprise for Jin.

Various Majors, Colonels and Generals had gathered in the conference room. Jin was also present. He wasn't interested in the contents of the meeting, which covered topics like the offense plans against the youkais or the partaking countries and the leaders for the said operation. Jin was indifferent to all of these. Only the last part of the meeting caught his attention.

It was noon when the meeting reached it's end.
“…. lastly, the following people are to form and lead those special squads.” A general stated the names that were written on a sheet, “Special Advance Squad (SAS) 1 Captain Becker, SAS 2 Captain Yuan, SAS 3 Major Basri, SAS 4 Major Martínez, SAS 5 Major Castro.”

Jin had never heard of such a duty and hence, he was quite surprised when his name was called. Maybe he had the chance to refuse this job if he had talked to Hades last night. He regretted not doing so.

“You are free to decide on your squad members. Special advance squads will always be the first to enter the enemy territory, so be sure to pick the right candidates.”

"The deadline is in thirty days. Get your squad ready by then.”
The meeting ended. On their way out, portfolios with information about particular talented soldiers and requirements (quorum on members, skills, etc.) for a SAS, as well as the task description, were distributed to the five squad leaders.

Are you kidding me? Jin felt ridiculed by the irony.
Despite not caring for his military rank, he was rather happy when he was promoted to a Major. Majors didn't have bothersome duties like the captains had. Their job was mainly to convey strategies to the captains who, on the other hand, had to lead the squads.

Just now, it felt like he had been deduced to the rank of a captain once again. Even worse, he had to form the squad himself.
He pondered of a way to escape from this dreadful fate, only to be interrupted by Hades.

Hades, who also participated in the meeting, placed a hand on Jin's shoulder and said with a devilish smile, “If you refuse, I'll demote you to a captain again.” His face had glee written all over it.

Demoting would mean that he'd have to pick up the duties of a captain once again, something that Jin absolutely wanted to avoid.
Once this job was over, he would get his freedom as major back. Compared to being demoted, taking on this job was wiser... or so he thought.

Thinking about it made him clench his fist.

Shit...

He resigned to his fate.
bakabaka
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by bakabaka »

Wow! I don't know what it is but there is something that attracts me to your novel. :D
It might be because I'm a digger for dystopian settings or because I like how the main character is cool and not a wuss (like 80% of all light novel protagonists), but whatever it is makes me want to read more of this.

Chapter 3 left me curious about some things like, what had happened to Daisuke and Hana (is she still alive?). I hope you don't plan to leave that story out.

Some constructive critic: I think you need to go deeper into details when describing objects and/or sceneries, at times. You may be able to imagine what it looks like since it's your story, but your readers won't be able to visualize everything, if there aren't enough informations.
You don't have to take my critic too serious. It's probably just because I'm too used to 'professional' novels^^. no offense.

Anyway, on the whole I'm definitely enjoying the story so far and I really hope, that you won't drop your LN like so many other writers in this forum, sadly do.
vnvnvn
Kyonist

Post by vnvnvn »

@bakabaka As long as there are people like you, who like the story, I will continue to write. I know that it's far from professional and lacks in many aspects, therefore I'm thankful to every reader who gives it a chance. I will definitely try to improve where I can.

Chapter 5 is also finished and will be uploaded this weekend :)

Chapter 4 Special Advance Squad 4
Spoiler! :
The soldiers were informed about their plan for aggression which was discussed in the morning. That plan obviously involved the soldiers participating in the battlefield and hence prompted mixed feelings.

On one side, it meant that they had to face the dreaded youkais. On the other hand, they were no longer mere tools used to stall the creatures. From now on, they would fight for victory.
Because of that, the atmosphere in the canteen changed.
A slight tingle of tension was in the air. The news had lit a spark of hope in the soldiers, whom despite not expressing their excitement, gave off a faint feeling of happiness. Compared to the previous days, one would say today's mood was cheerful.

However, there was one person who didn't look thrilled at all. Ando, along with Miki, were walking between the canteen tables.
His knitted eyebrows and narrow eyes displayed a frowning expression, that was nothing out of norm for Ando, who always looked pissed. However, at this moment, he actually was agitated.

“Just let it go A-chan. Anyone would react like that if they knew.”

A pleasant voice said to Ando. It was from Miki - the only person who called him by that unfitting nickname. She was attempting to calm Ando, who was feeling embarrassed about yesterday's incident, down. Situations like this weren't uncommon due to both's personalities.

The two of them were close to each other; they met at a military base long time ago when both of them were still kids. At that time, Ando fended off the bullies who were picking on Miki for baseless reasons.
Ever since then, she followed him around, acting like a well-behaved sister.

“What are you talking about?” he feigned ignorance, avoiding his companion's gaze. “And stop calling me like that.”

“Oh come on, you've been sulking about it since yesterday.”

“No. This is how I always am. It is irrelevant to what has happened yesterday.”

They felt numerous gazes directed at them as they talked. Whispers like, 'that's the guy from yesterday' were heard.

“There is no use dwelling on it.”

Miki, unintentionally, continued to apply salt on the wound.

“I'm telling you, I'm fine. Stop bothering me.”

“I mean, it's perfectly normal to apologize. In fact, he's your superior since he's a major. It's not something to be asham--”

“Seriously, will you quit it already? I'm telling you, I don't care about it. Not a single bit!” Ando, losing his tolerance, cut the well-meant yet irksome words off.

“...Well, if you say so.”

Realizing that it only worsened his mood, the worried priestess stopped her nagging.

They arrived at a table and sat down on vacant seats, next to each other. Facing them were two other people, both male, occupying the seats across the table. They had been there before Ando and Miki came.

One was tall and had a sturdy built. His military uniform threatened to burst any moment because of his well-toned body which seemed to be formed from countless hours of exercise. The gentle face that came with his body did not match at all.

The other one had an extremely short haircut and was about the same height as Ando. His big eyes and honest smile made him look young and innocent. He had a likeable presence.

“Give me some of that bread over there,” Ando pointed at the bread in front of the big guy as he rudely declared his demand.

An outsider would think that he either wanted to pick a fight or just lacked appropriate manners. In this case, it was the latter.
The names of the two knights sitting across were Maeda and Kazuto, two of Ando's few friends. The three of them, including Miki, were close to each other.

Maeda stared at him. His face started to change. He knitted his eyebrows and narrowed his eyes to imitate Ando's expression - the exact opposite of his own.

“Hah? And who would you be?”

Even the way he talked was similar to Ando.

“Pff-”

Kazuto was holding his mouth to suppress his laughter.

“...Very funny, really” Ando said in an irritated tone. The joke didn't seem to amuse him given his unchanging frown.

“Seriously, why are guys so immature?”

Miki's complaint made the bully revert his expression back to normal.
“Haha, my bad,” he said to his victim with an apologetic smile.

“Yeah... Now give me that bread.” Not giving much of an reaction to the apology, Ando stretched his hand out, demanding the bread once more.

Maede, who was given an order once again, hesitated for a moment before putting on an 'Ando face' again.

“You are messing with the wrong man!”

“PUAHAHAHAHAHA!”

Kazuto bursted out in laugher along with Maeda. The two of them had witnessed their friend act in an unusual way the day before and were now making fun of it. It was clear they didn't hold back, seeing as they laughed wholeheartedly in glee, seemingly enjoying the moment too much.

The one being laughed at was clearly displeased by the scene that took place before him. Even so, he controlled himself. After all, it was his rash actions that brought him into this situation, so he should be careful not to make the same mistake again, he thought.
That' was why he sat quietly and endured the laughs.

Seeing him like that made the sister-like priestess feel proud. It seemed like her brother had finally matured.
“Don't mind them. They will get tired soon,” she said with a concerned voice.

But even after a while had passed, it didn't look like the two comrades would calm down any time soon. The pain from continuous laughing made them shed tears and hold their bellies. However, this did not stop them from continuing.
Veins gradually popped up on Ando's forehead as his anger rose.

“Damn you asses, shut it already!” he eventually snapped and slammed his fist on the table.

The loud bang stopped Maeda and Kazuto's laughs.
Well, not really. They had their heads lowered and bit their lips to suppress their laughter.

After a brief moment, Maeda calmed down and raised his head to look at Ando, with a stiff expression - one that confirmed his situation was dire. Ando's 'oh shit' expression from yesterday.

“I-I'm sorry, sir,” he stuttered before bursting out in laughter again.

“Bwahahahahaahaaha!” Kazuto was now literally rolling on the floor laughing.

Snicker. Even the well-behaved Miki, slipped a soft giggle before she could block her mouth.

A murderous aura filled the canteen. The joke had gone too far.
One could easily tell that Ando was extremely pissed and only god knows what would have happened if a certain person didn't step in at that moment.

“Ando Nishima and Miki Toharu, you two follow me.”
A familiar character appeared and spoke with a flat tone.

Ando, hearing a voice, that he would never forget, swallowed his anger. He was wise enough not to refuse that order because he regretted doing so before, thus he stood up and walked behind the man, who moved towards the exit after giving his instructions. Miki followed him, leaving the comrades behind.

“Um, A-chan, are we in trouble?” Miki whispered.

“I don't know,” Ando answered, assuming that this was about yesterdays incident. “He doesn't look like the type of person to hold grudges.”

They wondered about the reason for being called out as they watched Jin's back ahead of them. Jin had called them out without giving any details whatsoever and didn't talk on the way. The three kept walking silently until they stopped at a plaza outside.

Clouds reflected rays of the evening sun that turned them into a red carpet.
Around three dozens of people had gathered around the plaza. All of them wore clothing which were part of the military dress code.

A camouflage long-sleeved shirt along with ranger pants and dark soldier boots, made of leather, were the knights' summer uniform. The uniform for priestesses was the same, with the only difference being a short-sleeved shirt instead of a long one - this was so distinguishing whether the person was a knight or a priestess was apparent.

Ando looked at the faces of the figures present. He tried to make a connection to what was happening by doing so, but gave up. None of the attendees looked familiar to him.

The people present were a mix of soldiers of different nationalities. Male-female ratio was roughly equal and hence the ratio of knights-priestesses was the same case. There were some two or three-men groups here and there but one could tell that the majority didn't know each other, as they spread separated on the raised stairs that circled the fountain at the center of the plaza.

The only thing they had in common was that they were called out by the same person.

Jin, after gesturing Ando and Miki to take a seat, moved to the center and turned towards the audience. All of the soldiers present were eager to hear what the man had to say.

He wore a tight fitted black t-shirt that knights wore underneath the uniform. His lean yet muscular build was clearly visible beneath his apparel and revealed a statuesque body that looked solid yet agile. The prominent face and cold eyes complimented his manly appearance.
Two questions cut in successively before that man could state his purpose.

“Handsome man, do you have a priestess yet?”
“Why did you call us out?”

The first question was asked by a priestess at the front rows. She gave a playful wink as she inquired whether the attractive knight had a partner yet.

The second came from a sloppy looking man, seated at the center of the high end of the stairs.

“You were scouted as candidates for a newly formed squad, Special Advance Squad 4,” Jin, ignoring the first question, gave an answer to the man.
Seeing as that answer only brought out confused faces he continued. “I'm sure you heard about the plans that were discussed this morning.”

The soldiers nodded in confirmation.

“Because of that, five people, including me, were tasked to form certain squads.”

“What does that have to do with us...,sir?”

This time it was Ando, who carefully voiced a question. He felt a weight lift from his shoulders knowing that this wasn't about his misbehavior the day before.

“I looked into your profiles. The reason why you were scouted is because you have shown excellent combat performance or exceeding skills in specific areas. The GU considers you as the military's elite.”

Jin had looked into the portfolio that he received at noon. From the hundreds of profiles, he rated 34 to be appropriate candidates for his squad.

“And why would the higher ups want to make these 'elites' join a squad?”
The sloppy looking knight continued. His tired expression had turned serious when the GU was mentioned.

“To test the water.”

Jin didn't hesitate to voice his honest answer and proceeded with an explanation.

“Special Advance Squads act like scouts in the offense plan against the youkais. They will be the first to enter their territory and see if the conditions are suitable for an attack.”

In other words, they were like canaries that were send into mines to test if the air was good.

The soldiers started to whisper among themselves. They didn't seem to comply to that plan.

“That sounds like an awfully dangerous task. What is in it for us?” Again, the sloppy-looking man asked, silencing the wave of whispers which were slowly developing into a turmoil.
“...”

34 pairs of eyes were directed at Jin. The silence filled the air with anticipation.

“Nothing.”

Jin broke the stiff atmosphere with a flat answer. He didn't try to honey coat it with noble talk about it being a great benefit to mankind and such, but instead voiced the reality.

“Soldiers who join an SAS will be the closest to death. You will find yourself in the enemy territory, facing youkais that not even an entire battalion could hope to defeat, all by yourself. Just one minor mistake will get you cornered and trust me, there will be no reinforcement coming to save you.”

The fear in the soldiers' eyes were evident. A squad that had no benefits and came with no reward, but with danger and solitude instead wasn't good news.

“This is ridiculous,” a voice began to lament and prevented Jin from continuing.
“Who do you think you are? Just because you are a Major you think you can force us into some kind of suicide squad?”
The reason for that man to know Jin's rank, despite him not wearing his uniform, was because he had seen him the previous day.

“Hey A-chan, isn't that the guy who got his ass whipped by you?” Miki asked in a low voice.

“Yes, that's the retard. I guess it's his hobby to mess with the wrong people," Ando verified her assumption. It was indeed the blonde knight named Eric who was involved in yesterday's incident.

“My name is Jin Martinez, I'm a survivor of the German alliance and just like you've said, my rank is a major. I've been forc-... tasked to be SAS 4's leader. My instructions are to form the squad by picking appropriate candidates, even at the means of force recruiting, if necessary,” Jin answered in his usual tone, nonchalant to the rude complaint.

“From the German alliance?”

The people who did not know were startled to hear that. A new sense of respect rose in them.
Not every soldiers present in Moscow had watched yesterday's march and therefore it was their first time seeing Jin.
The survivors from the German alliance were respected as veteran soldiers by young soldiers who regarded them as role-models.

Eric wasn't one of them.

“So what if you are one of the survivors?” the blonde who sat at the upper-right side of the stairs stood up and spoke with a loud voice, “Listen all of you. We don't have to listen to this guy.”

He directed his speech to the other soldiers. “Just because he survived one or two battlefields, he thinks that he can order us around as he likes. But he's just a regular soldier like us. There is nothing he can do if we all just refuse to join.”

Eric was confident that the others would take part in his revolt. Unfortunately for him, Jin didn't plan to go along with that plan.

“Are you done?”

“Huh?” The voice that came from his left took him by surprise. At the same moment his view turned 90° clockwise with his head hitting the stairs.

Jin had jumped from the center to Eric's position in a single leap. By moving his Ki to his lower body he was able to multiply the strength in his legs and leaped a distance of roughly 15 meter in an instant. In order to achieve such a feat, one needed a high level in Ki handling.

Bzzzz. An awful sound along with Eric's pained screams resounded. He tried to pull the hand, that was pressing his head down, away but no matter how much force he used, the hand didn't budge. Faint black light illuminated from that hand as it cruelly burned the skin.

The spectators, leaving the abnormal speed Jin had shown aside, were shocked by the color that emitted from his right hand.

“Amazing. I knew that Ki gradually turns darker when it gets denser... But to compress Ki to the point that it turns black is something I'd never imagined to be possible!” Miki, who couldn't believe her eyes said in admiration.

Ando speechlessly agreed to that. He was glad that he had backed down the day before.

It was just like the priestess said. The denser a knight could compress his Ki, the darker it would get.
To compress Ki a knight had to apply <Manipulating> and <Controlling> to the Ki inside his body. These two skills were the premise for every knights.
<Manipulating> was the act of moving ones Ki to a specific location. <Controlling> was used to regulate the Ki-flow by keeping the amount steady. Combining them enabled compressing.

If a knight wanted to reinforce his weapon with Ki he had to use <Manipulating> to make it flow and remain it that location. The hard part was making it stay. Ki, similar to water, would disperse unbridled if poured with nothing to comprise it. Therefore, it needed a container.

To make Ki remain at one place, a knight had to 'create' a lasting space that acted as a vessel, in this case the weapon, for it to flow in. Now, when Ki was moved into that space the weapon would get reinforced and start to glow in a blue light. <Controlling> was necessary to maintain these results. If the Ki moving into the created space wasn't steady, the flow would be cancelled and the weapon would return to it's normal state. By regulating the amount of Ki, that could be prevented.

Compressing occurred when <Manipulating> and <Controlling> were both in effect and the amount of Ki was increased. If Ki was forced into a limited space, it would increase in density and power. That phenomenon was evident through the darkening of the light that Ki emitted.

Theoretically, it was possible to make the light turn completely black but it was close to impossible to do it in reality. One would need an insanely big Ki pool to reach such a density, and even if someone had the sufficient amount of Ki, they'd need godly <Manipulating> and <Controlling> skills to be able to handle such a dense Ki.

An average knight was able to make the object that he concentrated his Ki to illuminate a bright blue-colored light. Such a Ki made it possible to fight youkais, which despite their steel-like skins, were vulnerable against Ki reinforced attacks.
But the deadliness of, say for example, a sword enforced with bright blue Ki did minimum effect against youkais. It was barely enough to cut flesh and withstand collisions.

A black shining sword would be a whole different case. But seeing as there were no records of it being done, there was no way to tell what kind of damage it could inflict.

“I think you have misunderstood a few things,” Jin stared at Eric while refuting his previous words. “First, it's been more than 'one or two' battlefields.”

“Second, I can kill you for high treason...,” he applied more pressure to his right hand that made Eric groan in pain.

The GU had established a law that states that a soldier must obey an order which benefited mankind in any way. If an individual refused to do so, they would be accused of high treason. The punishment for that was execution.
Therefore, Jin's threat was legitimate.

“... and third,” he removed his hand, leaving a hand-shaped scar on Eric's face and released him from the torture. He started walking back down to the fountain.

“I am authorized to forcefully recruit you, but I won't do that. I will let you decide whether you want to join or not.”

He cleared his earlier statement.

“Those who want to join can stay. Everyone else is permitted to leave now. A reluctant soldier will only slow the squad down.”

Jin didn't let the soldiers make their own choice because of his goodwill. Rather, he believed soldiers, who joined against their will to be burdens since they would likely turn into handicaps. Keeping only those who volunteer was the best decision in his opinion.

The new option made the soldiers motionless for a second. They didn't expect him to give them a choice.

To most of them the answer was clear now that they had the right to decide. They were still stricken with fear from the scene with Eric - who was still weeping from the pain - and were hesitant to make a move. But soon after, the first one walked and broke the nerve-wrecking tension. The second and third followed shortly after and the plaza was gradually filled with the sound of hurried footsteps.

By the time the last footsteps faded in the distance, the evening sun had already given it's last rays and was replaced by street lantern's.
From the numerous knights that were present at the beginning, only two had remained. The priestesses were left with the same number.

Artificial light illuminated the figures at the plaza.

“You should have left if you were gonna be like this,” Ando scolded his priestess. She was holding onto his hand with her whole body trembling in fear.

“I-It's alright. I can't just leave you alone.”

The childhood pair were two of the four people who stayed. Besides them, the remaining two were: a female who was happily staring at Jin and a sloppy knight who had looked quite enthusiastic ever since the performance involving Eric.

“Starting from now, you are part of the SAS 4. We will meet up tomorrow 3 pm at this plaza. Bring your weapons.” Not surprised by the small number, Jin wrapped the recruitment up.

He ended it and dismissed the soldiers after making appointments for the next day.
At that time neither he nor his squad knew that they'd be facing one of the six war heroes on their first meeting.
vnvnvn
Kyonist

Post by vnvnvn »

Chapter 5 Challenge
Spoiler! :
This is bothersome...
How am I supposed to prepare them?

Jin remained alone at the plaza after the new squad members left. He was deep in thought to come up with a suitable program to prepare them.

Authentic combat would be the best method.., he thought.

Each of the five SAS leaders were responsible with the duty to assemble and train a team, in only 30 days, to elite scouts against the youkais. In order to do so, they arranged the very bests from the thousands of soldiers present in Moscow. However, even if those soldiers excelled than all the others, preparing was necessary as the majority of them weren't accustomed to the battlefield.

“Was that all of your squad?” a voice belonging to a male asked in a ridiculing tone.

Jin glanced to his side. A silhouette was slowly approaching him. The lantern soon revealed a noble looking knight in military uniform. His silky white hair covered his right eye and the smooth bright skin made him look like someone unfamiliar to the word 'hardship'.

“...”

“I knew you were incompetent, but to not be able to properly form a squad, even with the authority to force recruit... that's just too pathetic.”

Obviously, the man had the intention of provoking Jin - who merely continued to stare with a lack of reaction.

“Why so speechless? Did I hurt your feelings?” he said with a satisfied smirk, believing that his provocation showed results.
The respond he received proved him wrong.

“...Who are you?” Jin gave up on trying to remember and asked the question that he had been pondering of.

Not having interest in others and hence not remembering them was one of his many poor characteristics.

“Bas-tard. For someone like you to be called as one of the six war heroes. I will never accept it...” the noble knight grunted, scowling at Jin.

I remember now. It's that guy.
Jin finally recalled where he had seen him before.

When the youkais progressively conquered Germany, the soldiers who were spread throughout the many strongholds across the country gradually gathered until all of them were at the last stronghold, Berlin. There, a certain famous knight approached Jin with the same attitude as today.

His name was widely spread among the soldiers; known as the one with the most outstanding defense capability, capable of blocking the fist of a cyclops made him an irreplaceable value to the military.
His admirers called him with a variety of names, such as 'The Wall' or 'The Impenetrable' and such, until they finally settled on the most fitting - Godshield Castro

Nelson Castro, who didn't only look like a noble, but was one by blood, firmly believed that it was the duty of the strong to protect the weak. Chained to that conviction, his top priority was to defend fellow comrades and subordinates on the battlefield. He was similar to Daisuke on that aspect, but their intentions for doing so differed. Unlike The Saint, who acted selflessly, he fought for others because he thought he was obligated to.

When Castro was young, his father, the late king of the United Kingdom taught him every time an opportunity came, “Nelson, the strongest person in a country is the ruler. You are the prince of this country and someday you will take my place as the king. As the strongest, you have the duty to protect and care for the weak ? the common people.”
Back then, he never dreamed that his beloved father would die along with the kingdom.

In order to fulfill his dead father's wish and live up to his royal blood, he swore to protect the soldiers on the battlefield. An obligation that he would live with for the rest of his life.
Hence, he absolutely loathed Jin, who would decide to abandon a comrade if necessary.

“You, who has the strength but refuses the responsibility that comes with it will never be fit to carry the noble title of a war hero,” Castro said in a condescending tone.

After a pause, Jin replied, "I believe that title befits me more than it does to you."

Usually, proclaims like that left him cold. However, this time he had something else in mind... which was the reason he acted out of character. He decided to go along with it for the sake of his own agenda.

“You must be kidding,” Castro rebuked, obviously offended by Jin's absurd comment. “I'm superior than you in every aspect, be it strength, leadership, --”

“I'm better.” his egoism was interrupted by Jin. “I'm stronger than you and I'm also a better leader.”

“...The youkais must have gotten to your head if you actually believe that.”

“Not really.”

With a glare, Castro exclaimed boldly while pointing his finger at Jin, “Then, have a duel with me. Looks like you won't understand unless I show you.”

“I'm fine with it. But how about a battle between your squad and mine? That way, we will also see who is a finer leader.”

“You're going to regret your words," he fussed while gritting his teeth.
At the threat that signalized the success to his plan, the corner of Jin's mouth rose.

In a fight between soldiers, the use of Ki was strictly forbidden. Ki at an average level didn't have much of an effect on humans who came in contact with it, but it could nevertheless multiply the user's strength and therefore highly increase the chance to inflict fatal wounds. With the limited manpower able to fight youkais, it was far too risky to endanger a soldier to disability, or worst - death. Therefore, practice battles were commenced without the use of Ki.

That was, unless two criteria were met.
First was a mutual agreement between the soldiers and their respective squad leaders who participated in the battle.
Second was the supervision of at least two military men with the rank of a major or higher, which was harder to fulfill than one would think.

In times when death lingered around every corner, it was difficult to find someone who'd sacrifice their spare time to watch over a practice battle and hold responsibility for possible accidents.
Jin was quite satisfied to come across this opportunity and decided to use it as a program for the squad meeting.

They came to an agreement of the place, time and rules for the upcoming fight before separating.

The following day, the knights of SAS 4 and SAS 5 would engage in battle.

It was just before the appointed time for the squad meeting. Four people had once again returned to the place they had first met. Arriving in the same time left them with an opportunity for self-introduction and small talks.

“Um, can I ask you why you stayed?”

Miki asked the girl who had introduced herself as Michelle a moment ago. She had been a timid person ever since she was young and rarely spoke to strangers, but the girl next to her radiated an overly comfortable presence.

Michelle was a gorgeous girl. Her hair was a shining ash-blond that floated on her petite back as if to adorn her curves. With blue eyes as deep as the ocean and pale cherry colored lips to emphasize her porcelain skin, she'd be able to make any knight go crazy for her if she intended to.

“Isn't it obvious? She is an easy girl, that's why.”

A sloppy looking knight who had introduced himself as Vince answered the question in a matter-of-fact tone. His heavy eyes were half-open most of the time, giving him a bored and tired look.

“How rude! That's not how I am.” Michelle complained, faking an offended tone.

“Oh really? Then I must have misheard when you asked the captain if he was still 'free'.”

“Come to think of it, you really did that,” Miki recalled the beginning of the meeting they had previously, when a woman asked daringly whether Jin was 'free'.

“Ehm, no, I was actually being serious there,” she replied, narrowing her eyes.

“Like I said, easy girl.”

“You must be crazy to ask a monster like that.” Ando joined the conversation.

A monster?

“Michelle, you mustn't become the priestess of such a dangerous man. His looks are deceiving you!”
Miki warned with a concerned voice.

Dangerous?
Unlike Ando and Miki, who had known about their squad leader's identity, Michelle was oblivious to it. The words that were used to describe Jin sounded like an exaggeration. But rather than asking of it, she prioritized to clear her previous behavior first.

“No, no, you are misunderstanding. It may have sounded like that, but I'm not such a superficial person. Really.”

“Then why did you ask?” Vince inquired.

“That is... the captain kind of resembles my big brother. They don't look alike at all but... how should I put it?” After a brief moment of thinking she added with an innocent smile, “They give of the same feeling.”

“The same feeling?” Imagining a scary picture of the brother, Miki prompted her to explain further.

“It's an assuring feeling that makes me think that I'd be completely safe if he was my knight.”

“...”

“...”

“...”

Ando, Miki and Vince stared at her with a look of utter incomprehension.

“Don't look at me like that, just saying it was embarrassing enough,” she said, covering her face which was flushed with her hands and hastily diverted the stares by changing the target of attention. “Then, what about you guys?”

The three watching her reaction thought that she, unexpectedly, was just like a normal girl.

“I'm staying with A-chan."
“No particular reason.”

Questioned about the reasons for joining the squad, Miki and Ando replied simultaneously without thinking too much.

They then looked at Vince who was the only one who had not told his reason yet.

“Because it seems like something interesting will happen if I stick with the captain,” with his gaze fixated on the direction the person in question was approaching from, Vince said with an expecting look.

His words were confirmed faster than he thought.

Moscow was a stronghold that the GU didn't plan at all to abandon. Under any circumstance, the city - known as the Fortress - had to be protected by all of mankind's efforts. Further lost of territory was inadmissible.
For that reason, a costly project to surround the city with a massive iron wall was carried out. The project used a huge sum of resources which were already exhausted due to the long war against the youkai. But thanks to that investment, the Fortress was considered to be the safest place on the battlefront. Civilians didn't have to fear a sudden invasion and therefore weren't forced to evacuate. They were able to continue their daily life and business. Even places for entertainment like casinos, arcades and bars were operating.

To soldiers though, that kind of entertainment was prohibited. Convinced that it would only distract the soldiers and dull their fighting spirit, the military provided only one place for stress reduction. The Colosseum.

The Colosseum was located close to the military dorms and training grounds near the big iron gate. Both the exterior and interior were built based on the model of the old Romanian architecture. With three stories in height, the elliptical shaped building could accommodate up to five thousand spectators, with the first floor reserved to high ranking officers.
Public tournaments and duels, organized by the military and supervised by high-ranking officers, attracted a vast number of competitive soldiers, excited to test their skills. Civilians also had the privilege to watch.

SAS 4 was currently in front of the entrance to that place.

“Today, we will have a practice battle against another SAS.”

With these words, Jin had led his squad members to the Colosseum where the battle was going to take place.

The squad members split up with the priestesses walking upstairs toward the spectator seats and the knights entering the area of battle, obviously overwhelmed by the suddenness of this unplanned battle.

“Captain, about the squad we are going to fight...,” Ando questioned Jin on the way to the arena.

“It's SAS 5, lead by Major Castro.”

Vince's eyes widened in surprise. “Castro as in Godshield Castro?”

“That's right.”

The two could only gulp in nervousness before the sunlight blinded their sight. A circular area, fenced by stone walls and comparable to the size of a football field, extended before their eyes. At the center of the area were three figures in military clothes, seemingly awaiting for their arrival.

“So you didn't turn tails...”

Provocations immediately reached Jin's ear upon closing in.

“Why would I?” Jin honestly asked.

“...We will see if your arrogance is going to last.” Castro decided to leave it at that and proceeded with the rules.

“Because your squad lacks members we will carry a three-vs-three like we agreed yesterday. The use of Ki is allowed and the first squad to render the other unable to fight or make them surrender will be the winner.”

Jin confirmed with a nod before the two squads distanced themselves to a range far enough to make eavesdropping impossible.

Knights could be categorized to two types, the offensive and defensive units. A trained eye could easily discern a knight's type by looking at the posture and equipment. Ando and Vince had already determined the other squad, who were currently emerged in tactical talks - to be made out of two defensive and one offensive knight. The offhand plan for that kind of lineup should be to focus on the offense knight first before moving on, but for that plan to work against the war hero who is known for his superior defense capability was dubious.

Therefore, they were eagerly anticipating what kind of strategy their captain had prepared against Castro, but no matter how long they waited, Jin remained silent.

After a while, an impatient Ando implied him to talk.
“Captain, they are discussing their strategy for the fight.”

“Yes.” Jin gave an natural answer, forcing Ando to state his intention.

“So, what about our strategy?”

“We are going one on one.”

“Huh?”

Both subordinates uttered their surprise.

“Unlike Castro, I'm not accustomed to fight alongside comrades. Fighting them one on one would be the best choice for this squad.”

The strategy displayed Jin's leadership abilities, that were close to non existent, but was nonetheless the best approach given the circumstances.

“I will fight Castro, you two take the others. Don't let them team up if you want to win.”

If his squad wanted to win with the one-on-one strategy, they had to make sure that the other squad was prevented from using their strategy.

This guy is suppose to be our squad leader?

Ando and Vince finally realized in what kind of situation they were and accepted it quickly. They gave each other an acknowledging look and wordlessly agreed on the choice of opponent.

Jin looked at the other squad to confirm that they were ready. He took a silver coin out of his pocket and nonchalantly flipped it diagonal into the air. The coin flew in a high arc toward the center and would upon landing, signal the start of the fight.

The fight between SAS 4 and 5 wasn't made public and therefore the spectator seats were mainly vacant. Still, the news didn't escape the ears of the remaining SAS leaders, who didn't hesitate to bring their respective squads and watch the spectacle.

“So you also came, Yuan,” a bright haired knight took a seat next to his interlocutor. It was the leader of the third SAS, who was also famed as one of the six war heroes, Blue Haze Basri.

“Of course. I wouldn't want to miss a promising fight between high calibers.”

“True, true. Even the generals are watching this,” he gazed at the opposite site of the Colosseum where some important looking figures were seated. “So which site do you think will win?”

“That's a tricky question. I've always been in the same unit as Castro so I know what he's capable of. Martinez' skills on the other hand are a complete enigma to me. Rumors say that he is the strongest out of you lot, but that's hard to believe. You've been in the same unit as him right? What do you think?”

From the familiar tone one could tell that these two were well acquainted.

“That's right. Four years ago, after Bonn was taken over, he had deserted from his unit, and eventually joined us. At that time there was a rumor going around that the Saint had died and that someone already took his place. I was quite surprised to find out that that someone was so close by.”

Yuan gave Basri a look that urged him to get to the point.

“I've watched him on the battlefield and it's out of question that his strength is on the level of a war hero... But it feels like he is still hiding something.”

“What do you mean?”

“You know about his title?”

“Black Flames?”

“Yes. In the four years I've known him, he never did anything that would back that name up. The only remarkable thing about him, leaving his rotten personality aside, is the density of his Ki and his unique fighting style.”

“Then you mean...”

“The first soldiers who called him a war hero must have seen something when they came up with that title. I'm sure that there is even more to him, so my bet is on him.”

Priestesses unlike knights didn't have Ki in there body. They made use of a power called Kai that resided in the atmosphere. For the better or worst, Kai could only be used to inflict damage to youkais and was therefore unsuitable for duels.

“Is that the truth?”

“Yes A-chan told me so.”

The two priestesses of SAS 4 had been demoted to spectators. Seated in the upper storey, they had chatted about their squad captain's identity who happened to be one of the six war heroes.

Maybe that is why he gives off the same feeling.

Michelle guessed the reason for the familiar presence Jin had given her upon hearing of his title.

She focused her gaze towards the battle area when a metallic clank resounded.

The coin hitting the ground came along with the sound of fast footsteps. Both sides moved at the same time with each site having two men charge forward. Ando, followed by Vince met their targets and engaged in a fierce battle.

Offensive knights premised on a high mobility and therefore chose equipment with low restricting attributes. Ando's weapon was a short sword with a half-crescent shaped blade and a medium-sized, triangular shield that effectively covered his upper body. A good choice for an aggressive fighter like him.

Vince who on the other hand was a defense type, carried a 2 meter long aluminum rod with a tip of a sharp cone. His left hand held a rectangular shield that resembled the ones the old Romanians used. Defensive knights often handled large shields and long trusting weapons and were therefore restricted in movement and agility but compensated with firmness and protection.

It didn't take long for the noise of iron clashing to form a hasty background beat.

However, the respective captains of the squads remained motionless, staring at each other intensely.
Both waiting for a chance to take the other down.

It took a while, but when Castro lost focus for a split second, Jin made his move.

Based on their experience as veteran soldiers, Basri and Yuan evaluated the fight.

“That lancer in Jin's team is quite formidable. Despite being a defense type, he's doing a good job keeping his opponent from leaving.”

Basri praised Vince's performance, who had kept his opponent, a skilled sword man, from joining together with his team member. Despite his heavy weapons, he moved swiftly and even attacked continuously while blocking his opponent's path and attacks. For a defense-type, holding agile enemies at one place was a praiseworthy feat.

“I agree, but his angry looking teammate peeks my interest even more. He fights like a real gladiator.”

Ando was considered as a natural fighter by his former military instructors. Yuan agreed to that.
He dodged and attacked by purely using his instincts and threw slashes from unexpected angles and positions. Various footwork and forms from different martial arts were reflected in his fighting style, allowing him to charge without break.

But even with the superb offensive skills of Ando and the firm defense of Vince, the fight didn't seem to have a clear winner yet.

The SAS leaders gathered only the best soldiers to be candidates for their squads. With an unextendable limit of merely 9 squad members each, the leaders had to filter these candidates further until the very elites of all soldiers remained, who would be recruited in the end.

Therefore, Jin's squad wasn't the only one with outstanding fighting ability.

The lancer in Castro's squad stood solid. He reacted quickly to every move Ando made and had blocked every attacks with his large shield.
The sword man too didn't leave any openings while he systemically tried to slip hits through Vince's defence.
All of the knights currently fighting were elite soldiers who exceeded the average knight by far. It was evident that neither site made any fatal mistakes which would lead to a clear victor.

“You shouldn't be too surprised by his fighting style. There is someone down there with an even more peculiar fighting style.”

"Right, I almost forgot."

Basri and Yuan examined Jin who stood rooted like a tree. A Templar sword with a black hilt and a blade with the length of a meter that shimmered in a blinding whiteness rested loosely in his right hand. His left arm was embraced by a shield which resembled the shape of a teardrop, characterized by the color of a metallic white and a dark pattern of a cross on it.

Around fifteen yards across him was a white haired man returning his gaze.
The orthodox cross-shaped shield that Castro wielded had a big obsidian body and weighed the same as it's wielder. Placed on the ground, it's height reached up to his shoulders and displayed a steadfast barrier.
Only a knight who exceeded in Ki handling could effectively handle such an object.

“Looks like the main event will be long in coming.”

Yuan commented on the monk-like squad leaders who hadn't moved in minutes.

But as if to defy Yuan's words, Jin suddenly made his move.

Return to “Creative works”