OLN: Journey of A Self-proclaimed Hero

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Sakura-drops
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

OLN: Journey of A Self-proclaimed Hero

Post by Sakura-drops »

Greetings Baka-Tsuki community! After discovering light novels I started writing this story. Taking the plunge, I decided to post it here for everyone to read -and hopefully enjoy.I plan on adding my own graphics later on when I have the chance -and practice enough so I don't embarrass myself, so in the meantime I put a brief description of what the characters look like. I appreciate any comments and critiques. Bare in mind though that I'm new at this. If I'm breaking some law of light novels or your confused, please feel free to tell me.

Synopsis: One day the Demon Kings invaded, taking the world by storm. Unable to defend ourselves from this new, otherworldly foe, the human race was enslaved. 10 years later, in the middle of all this suffering, a teenage boy managed to live lazily and peacefully. After an encounter that would require him to use skills he'd rather forget, Jun Yoshida left his cozy, lazy lifestyle in order to save this world -calling himself a Hero while he was at it.

Main Genres: Action, Fantasy, and Romance later on.

Prologue:
Spoiler! :
It was just another day for the lazy teenage boy. His goal was the same: to sleep and conserve as much energy as he could. So he spent his days dozing off, either lying in his little hut at the edge of town, or in the trees. No one dared to approach him and he was perfectly fine with that.
Everyone in town knew about him –the lazy boy with the eye patch. No one knew anything about him, not even his name. One day he just arrived and settled down in the abandoned hut without a word. He didn't disturb them and they didn't disturb him –a peaceful coexistence.
His stomach rumbled loudly as he dozed off in the tree. He cracked his eye open and looked at the berry bush below, debating if he wanted to move or not. Deciding that a little sleep could cure it, he settled down once again and closed his eye.
A piercing, throbbing pain came from his uncovered eye as he clutched it. His balance was lost and he fell to the ground, landing on his back as he clenched his teeth in pain. It felt like something stabbed him in the back of the eye with a blade coated in acid, and made sure to smash his brain with a mallet while they were at it.
The pain intensified until he finally passed out, sprawled on the forest ground.
The air beside him seemed to shimmer as a figure started to take shape. A young girl, no older than 16, sat beside the boy and she stared into the forest in amazement.
“I… I can’t believe it… I… I did it!” she shouted triumphantly, pumping a fist in the air. It was then she noticed the unconscious boy beside her.
“Um, hello?” she called out, reaching a hand out towards him. She gasped when her hand passed through him and quickly pulled it back, examining her hands. They were faintly translucent.
“Oh no… oh no,” she wailed to herself, seeing that her legs were translucent as well.
“This can’t be! I can’t be a ghost… can I?” she said to herself, uncertain. The boy suddenly groaned and opened his eye, seeing an unfamiliar figure beside him. He took one look at her slightly translucent figure and closed his eye.
“Hey, don’t fall asleep!” she shouted, trying to hit him but her fist just passed through his chest.
“I know I’m not dreaming, so I’m going to sleep,” he said with his eyes still closed.
The girl was silent for a moment before she started crying.
“Wah! Wake up you dummy! Don’t fall asleep on me!”
The boy clamped his hands over his ears and finally looked at the girl. With a sigh he sat up and faced her.
“Okay, alright, just stop crying already.”
She sniffled and wiped her tears away. Finally composing herself, she asked the boy who he was.
“I should be asking you that,” he muttered to himself before telling her.
“Jun Yoshida.”
“That’s a Japanese name, right?” she asked, cocking her head to the side. When he nodded, she held her chin in her hand thoughtfully.
“So that means I’m in Japan…” she mumbled to herself.
“Who are you and where did you come from,” Jun asked.
“My name is Irene Goldsworthy and I’m currently being held captive in America.”
“… Say that again?” Jun said, completely lost.
“My name is Irene Goldsworthy and I’m currently being held captive in America.”
“No, that’s not what I mean,” he said, shaking his head. “What’s this about being captive? Like a slave?”
“No, not as a slave but as a captive,” Irene corrected. “I’m a Rare Breed, so the Demon Kings decided I should be locked up.”
“What’s a Rare Breed?” Jun asked, frowning with a puzzled face.
"A Rare Breed is a demon with abilities unlike any other. They can't be learned and can't be copied," she explained, sounding like a teacher lecturing a student.
"So your a demon?" Jun said, zoning in on that one detail. She had no fangs, horns or anything else abnormal. To the naked eye she looked like a regular human girl, but then again many demons could keep a humanoid form.
"You couldn't tell?" Irene asked, clearly surprised. Her eyes suddenly widened and her cheerful attitude fell.
"Don't tell me you're a human."
"Glad you realized that," he yawned. "Got a problem with that?"
"Eh? Ah, no," she mumbled, fidgeting with her hands.
"It's just that I felt this tremendous strength from you, so I thought you were a demon. But if I take a closer look, you really are human."
"You aren't off the mark," Jun said. Irene gasped in surprise when he suddenly appeared in front of her, his hand hovering around her neck. The look in his eyes were cold and deadly, unlike the lazy boy she had seen moments before. With a deadly aura that wrapped around him like a cloak, it wouldn't be unbelievable to think he really was a demon.
"You should stop your analysis right there. I might have to kill you if you don't," he said in a cold, low voice.
Irene gulped in fear, but couldn't get a word out. He did not smile or smirk as he withdrew his hand, but with slow and deliberate motions.
“… Ah, but killing you is a pain. I don't have energy to waste on you,” Jun said and lay on the ground again, his hands laced behind his head. And just like that he went back to being the lazy boy, but the way he casually spoke about killing sent a shiver down her spine.
"I've had enough of demons. Go back to your demon friends for help or something."
"...I can't," Irene managed to say, clenching her fist in her lap.
"I have no friends or family that could help me. I can only turn to you for help. If the Demon Kings aren't stopped then immortality could be within their reach."
"What are you talking about?" Jun cut in with narrowed eyes.
Irene looked up at him with sad eyes and lonely eyes, but there were no tears.
"I'm immortal. Blades will not kill me and spells cannot kill me. Because of this they locked me up, wanting to transfer my immortality to them."
"Is this what you meant by a Rare Breed's unique ability?"
Irene nodded in confirmation. Silence fell and Irene clenched her hands, looking stiff and uncertain. Jun sighed and sat up again.
“So since the Demon Kings can’t kill you, they locked you up somewhere?”
“Yes…”
“Then how did you get here?”
“I’m not really sure,” Irene replied with a puzzled expression, tapping her chin with her index finger.
“I was trying out this spell and then BAM! Here I am.”
“All the way to Japan?” Jun said skeptically.
“Well…” Irene trailed off hesitantly. She stayed silent for a bit and looked up questioningly when Jun held up a hand, his fingers spread out. He suddenly started putting a finger down one by one. When all his fingers were clenched in a fist, he lay back down and closed his eyes.
“You were counting down?! You should have told me then! Don’t fall asleep! Jun!” she wailed, lifting an arm into the air. A large rock nearby floated up as well, and when Irene flung her arm towards Jun, it flew at him. Without even opening his eyes he caught the rock in his hand.
Irene was startled at his reflexes but quickly resumed fuming at him. Jun looked at her from his spot on the ground and frowned.
“Is it just me or do you look… I don’t know… even more see through?”
“Huh?” Irene looked down at herself and gasped, finding that she was slowly fading. She started flailing her arms when her legs disappeared and the rest of her started to follow.
“Kya! Help me!” she screamed and suddenly she was gone. Jun stared at the spot she had been before and slowly sat up.
“Hey,” he called, glancing around. Maybe it’s some kind of ninjutsu, Jun thought and slowly extended his hand, hoping to either find some kind of fabric that allowed her to blend into the background, or that she really was gone.
Irene suddenly appeared again, her face an inch away from his and they both pulled back, startled. Jun watched her warily as she held her face in her hands, her face slightly flushed.
“What was with the vanishing act?” he asked.
Irene jumped, slightly startled, and cleared her throat.
“It’s as I thought!” she declared proudly, placing her hands on her hips and puffed her chest out.
“… Which is…?” he said, prompting her to continue.
Irene pointed at his face and said, “You and I are connected somehow.”
“Ah, I see,” Jun yawned, surprising Irene.
“Huh? You could tell?” she asked, clearly surprised.
“No,” Jun said with a lazy stretch. “It was a hunch.”
“What? Then how’d you guess?” Irene asked, leaning forward expectantly.
Jun smiled and placed a hand on the eye patch on his left eye. “I don’t know about souls and all that, but you can say I have proof.”
“Proof?” Irene echoed with a frown, looking at his eye patch.
“This,” he said, pulling it off his head. Underneath the eye patch was a perfectly fine green eye. The only difference was that his right eye was blue.Irene’s eyes widened
Their eye color were mirror images of each other.
"I'm not sure if that's the reason why you're here though," he said, pulling it back on.
"I've never seen anyone with my eye color before," Irene breathed, tears spilling from her eyes.
"Hey, what's with the tears?" Jun asked, looking at a loss.
"I-I'm happy," she sobbed.
"It feels like I finally have a connection with someone. I almost forgot how that felt. Even if it's a lazy guy like you, you can see me, and that makes me so, so happy."
Irene couldn't see Jun's face soften through her tears and furiously rubbed them away, but more replaced them. She looked up to see his hand extend towards her. Her tears abruptly stopped from the shock as he pretended to pat her head.
"Wh-What are you doing?" she stammered.
"Hmm, I wonder. Maybe I just can't leave a crybaby like you alone."
"I'm not a crybaby," she objected as a few more tears leaked out, contradicting her words.
"If I say I'll help you, will you stop crying?"
"Really?" she sniffed, rubbing her eyes.
"I promise," he said solemnly.
Irene finally smiled, one that came from the bottom of her heart and soul.
"I'll hold you to that, then."
Last edited by Sakura-drops on Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sakura-drops
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: OLN: Journey of A Self-proclaimed Hero

Post by Sakura-drops »

Originally I was going to post this chapter and the next together, but it was pretty long so I decided to split it (kind of). Let me know what you think. If you have any tips on formatting let me know. This is the first time I've actually posted anything on forums, so sorry if it's squished and stuff.

Chapter 1: How Journeys Begin
Spoiler! :
With a loud sneeze that echoed in the deserted, run down and dusty church, I pulled my cloak tighter around me. I sat down on a rickety bench and sighed. This was a far cry from a warm spot under the sun, but it’d have to do. Lifting my worn out backpack from the ground, I placed it on the bench and lay down, using it as a pillow.
The wind howled outside, causing the leaves to stir. Moonlight seeped through the cracks in the wall, lighting up various places inside the church and streamed through the window to shine down on me. It wasn't such a bad place.
I got comfortable and closed my eyes, prepared to get some much needed rest when footsteps approached the church steps.
Ah, give me a break. I don’t care if they’re here to try and ransack this already deserted church or make it their secret base. If they want to sleep I’ll gladly welcome them, but I’ll probably be asleep by then.
One sheep, two sheep, three sheep... I could feel blissful sleep pulling at me as the footsteps drew closer, causing the old wooden floors to creek as they walked down the aisle.
One pair, two pair, three pair, four –ah, no. I’m supposed to be counting sheep, not pairs of feet. My eyebrows knitted together as I resumed my counting.
“Oi, think anyone lives here?” a deep male voice asked. Gah, he’s too loud.
“Of course not. This place’s been deserted for years,” another man replied.
“Then who’s that?” a younger male voice asked, probably pointing at my still form. Just forget about me and be on your way gentlemen.
“A vagabond, probably.”
“Hurry up!” one of the older men yelled, and a pair of shuffling feet obeyed. I heard the sound of chains clanging as the fourth person made their way over. Light footsteps –probably a child.
“Oi, wake up,” the young man called, kicking the bench I was laying on.
“I’m trying to sleep, fellas,” I yawned, peering at them with a half-opened eye from beneath my hood.
A young man in his early 20’s stood at the end of the bench, directly across from me. Two older men stood at the altar –or what had once been an altar. All three wore worn out clothing that had multiple tears in them and threadbare shoes. I guess I didn't look much better with my ratty old cloak, but I at least had a nice pair of boots, still good jeans and a pretty clean t-shirt. Not to mention I had a pretty new jacket I ‘borrowed’ not too long ago.
The sound of chains rattling drew my attention to the figure behind the young man. A child, probably no older than 7 shuffled towards the older men in threadbare clothes that were so big it dwarfed him. Even with the dim lighting I could see the scars and bruises on his body, and the shackles around his ankles clearly said he was a slave. I pitied the child, who carried an oversized backpack on his back, clearly having trouble as he wobbled, but it was only for a moment. Getting upset every time was a waste of energy –precious energy I wanted to save. Besides, it wasn't that uncommon now. Humans were treating other humans as dirt, but this had existed even before the demons came.
“Shut your mouth and hand over your bag,” one of the older men called. I think I’ll just call him Rat, since he has beady eyes and gray hair.
“Give us your stuff and you won’t get hurt, kid,” Gap-tooth said, motioning for Young Guy to move.
“Hey, hey, can’t we talk this out?” I said, holding both hands up in surrender as I continued to lie on the bench. Getting up was too much trouble.
“Just hand it over!” Young Guy said as he sauntered towards me, so I did the most reasonable thing anyone would do.
I punched him in the stomach.
“Gwah!” Young Guy doubled over and fell to the ground, unconscious. Ah, what a lucky guy. I want to sleep too.
“You’re dead!” Rat yelled, pulling out a pistol and fired. It hit the wooden backrest of the bench, still missing me by a few inches. His aim sucked.
“This is your last chance,” Gap-tooth announced, pulling out his own gun. I heard the kid flee somewhere down the aisle in a panic.
“How about in the morning?” I suggested. “I might be in a talkative mood by then.”
“Cut the crap!” Rat shouted and fired at me –or where I was anyway, since I rolled off the bench before he fired and now lay on the ground, pretty much in the same position I had been on the bench. I glanced to the side and saw Young Guy lying beside me. Since having a guy that close is pretty uncomfortable, I kicked him under the bench. Ah, much better now.
“Die!” Gap-tooth spat and both of them started firing. With a weary sigh and a hand movement that was too fast to see, the bullets were easily deflected by a short sword that could be found in any RPG game. The old men gawked, not knowing when or how my sword appeared in my hand.
“Can I sleep now?” I asked with a wide yawn that brought tears to my eyes. I was spending way too much energy.
“Sure… for eternity!” Rat shouted with a maniacal laugh like some cheesy boss in an old 90’s anime.
Not even bothering with a sigh –it would be both pointless and wasteful, I appeared before them, sword ready to strike before they could fire a shot.
They both looked at me in horror and in a flash; I knocked them out with a blow from the hilt of my sword.
“Ah, cleaning blood is such a pain. I don’t want to spend more energy,” I complained to the empty air, grabbing my bag from where I left it. Sheathing my sword in its scabbard under my cloak, I headed down the aisle. I was just about to reach the end when I heard rattling to my right. Casting a look in the direction of the sound, I saw the little boy huddled against the wall as he trembled uncontrollably. He started crying loudly when our eyes met, rattling my eardrums.
“Hey, hey. Enough of that. Don’t cry,” I said slowly making my way towards him as he continued to cry. Crouching in front of him, I grabbed the thick chain and gave a yank. It easily snapped in my hands and the boy finally stopped his bawling. Instead, he watched me with a confused gaze as I tore apart the shackles around his legs like clay.
“Th-Thank you, Onii-chan,” the boy tentatively said.
Giving the boy a small smile, I placed my hand on his head and ruffled his hair.
“It’s okay,” I said, surprised when the boy suddenly flung himself at me and clasped his arms around my neck in a hug, knocking my hood down.
“Hey, hey. Don’t cry now,” I said as he started to cry again.
He nodded like a good boy and let go, quickly rubbing his tears away. Satisfied, I ruffled his hair with a small smile.
As a reward I gave him a small loaf of bread. It was hard and dry, but he ate it like he hadn't eaten in days. He probably hadn't.
“Once you’re done, grab some of their things and head to the next town,” I instructed him, pulling my hood up as I stood.
“What about you, Onii-chan?” the boy asked as he followed me to the church doors.
I briefly glanced over my shoulder and smiled.
“To the Demon Lord’s castle of course. I’m a hero, you know.”
With that I headed out the door and on my way. After walking for about a mile, I found it.
A glorious tree was waiting for me! Even from here I could tell there was a sturdy branch –perfect for sleeping on. Without any hesitation I veered off the path and headed towards it.
“Just what do you think you’re doing?” a female voice huffed behind me.
I didn't bother turning around and just kept walking.
“I’m talking to you, Jun!” she shouted, flying in front of me to block my path.
“I’m sleepy, Irene,” I complained, looking at the girl before me. Her golden blonde hair cascaded down her back and her white skin was almost translucent, but that was probably due to her being in a ghost-like state.
Her eyes, the mirror image of my own, were narrowed at me as she crossed her arms over her chest.
“You slept half the day away yesterday!” she objected, hovering above the ground. She usually chooses to fly since she doesn't need to walk, and when she tries she just passes through the floor. It’s quite funny.
“My energy bar is low,” I stated, walking through her.
“I told you to stop doing that!” she screamed, hugging herself as she flew after me.
“I don’t want to waste energy on going around you,” I yawned, slowly but steadily making my way towards the tree.
“You said you would help me,” she pouted childishly.
“Because it’s to stop the Demon Kings from becoming immortal,” I corrected, setting my bag at the base of the tree and sat down beside it. I gave a content sigh as I leaned against it.
It was only 10 years ago that the Demon Kings invaded. Some say the reason was overpopulation and frustration that led them to surface from whatever cave they hid in, but I don’t really care. I just want to nap in the sun, but no, they of course wouldn't let me. Can’t a guy find a nice place to nap once in a while?
Of course 10 years ago the 8 year old me didn't appreciate the luxuries of ‘freedom’ and ‘peace.’ Could you blame me? My biggest concern was passing my elementary class, playing video games and making friends. No one expected a monster invasion. It wasn't some kind of manga.
Well, the impossible became possible and now my life really did seem like a shounen manga. Not only were humans enslaved 10 years ago, but now they could use magic. Some believed it was some power hidden within humans –hence witches and wizards from folk tales and fantasy stories –that was triggered by survival, or some adaptation we acquired to fight the demons –like a super-fast version of Darwin’s Theory of Evolution. Other’s believed that the monsters appearances created some kind of mutation, like radiation except instead of messing up with our cells and killing us; it messes up our cells and gives us powers. The most popular belief was that God had given us a way to fight back, but I don’t really care about the reason.
Then again, only a few people have acquired this ‘magic.’ Ask me 10 years ago what power I wanted and I’d have said, “Flying!” Now, I would like the ability to create barriers. Why? To create a barrier so I can sleep, obviously. Unfortunately, I can’t do that. Contrary to belief, humans can’t learn new magic. What you have is what you got. Ah, my life sucks.
The main reason: Irene, the immortal Rare Breed, was captured and imprisoned in America –where the most evil of all Demon Kings ruled. According to Irene, they were trying to transfer her immortality to the Demon Kings. If that were to happen, my dream of sleeping in an open field under the sun would disappear.
In order to prevent that, I was on my way to America to free Irene. But before that –what was it again?
“What did I have to do again?” I mumbled to myself as my eyes started drooping. Ah, it could wait for tomorrow.
“You just told that little boy you were going after the Demon King, Jun. I can’t believe you forgot already.” Irene sounded close to tears. I couldn’t really blame her. At the pace I was going it’d take a lifetime or two to even reach her, let alone defeat the Demon King holding her captive. And unfortunately for both of us she couldn’t go ask someone else to be the hero and save her.
Two weeks ago we got into a fight and so I told her to dump this mess on someone else –someone who had the energy to waste. In a huff she stormed off and approached a traveler that was passing by, but no matter how hard she tried to get his attention he just walked on by. It seems that only I can hear and see Irene, which made us permanently stuck with each other.
“Oh yeah, defeat the Demon King,” I said sleepily. The borders have changed, but basically Demon Kings rules over each country. Each Demon King has a few Demon Lords under their command, and they oversee parts of the land. Defeating the Demon King of Japan when Irene is in America seems pointless to me, but according to her I can’t skip it. The main reason is that currently she’s in an almost coma-like state, a spell which the Demon Kings cast on her. In order to break it I need the emblems of the Demon Kings who placed it on her. Not only that, but I HAVE to beat each and every one of them. Irene doesn't know which Demon King placed the spell on her or where they live.
To make it even more troublesome she’s sealed off from the world with another spell. In order to break that one I need to go to a Demon Lord’s castle and break whatever is powering the seal. It’s a huge pain, but they’re pretty thorough. That also meant I couldn't skip the Demon Lords who live in Nagasaki, Kyoto, Sendai, and Sapporo before finally heading to Tokyo where the Demon King resides..
The only clues I have so far are: 1) on all 7 continents there should be at least one Demon King with an emblem that’s putting Irene to sleep. 2) In each country there’s at least 1 Demon Lord that has some magical item that powers the seal on Irene’s prison. 3) Each Demon King has about 5 or so Demon Lords under them. And 4) If I don’t break all the items and get all the emblems I can’t rescue Irene, even if I only miss one and defeat the Demon King of America. If I miss an emblem she’ll remain asleep, which means I have to haul her body around. And if I manage to defeat the Demon King but missed a magical item, chances are I can’t break it and then I’ll have to back-track. Which means a new Demon King might be appointed again and I’ll have to defeat him. Again.
Ah, I’m going to have nightmares because of all the stress this is causing me.
“Jun,” Irene called in a surprisingly serious voice, prompting me to look at her.
“Look over there,” she instructed, pointing off into the distance. I followed the direction of her slim finger and saw an odd, blob-like shape dragging itself like an amoeba across the ground. It was a murky purple and as it moved around it left a trail of dried earth and vegetation in its wake.
“What is that?” I asked, studying it. It had no visible limbs or facial structure. It didn't even have eyes, a nose, or a mouth.
“It’s a Muck,” Irene said.
“A Muck?”
“It’s a creature created from a unique blend of venom, giving it acidic properties like acid rain.”
“So even if I tried cutting it with my sword, it’d just melt the steel?”
Irene nodded.
I sighed and linked my hands behind my head, leaning against the tree trunk again.
“Good to know. That means I should avoid it.”
“I didn't point it out as an educational lesson,” Irene huffed and jabbed her finger viciously at the Muck.
“If that thing is allowed to roam around in this rich land, all vegetation will die and can never be restored. Do you know what that means?”
“What are you-“ I abruptly cut myself off once it dawned on me. If the Muck continues to move across the vegetation they’ll die. That means all the trees will die, which means I can’t nap in them. And if the grass dies I can’t nap in it under the sun. And if all of them die and can never come back, that means my dream of napping on the grass in the sun and dozing off under a tree will vanish!
“How do you kill them then?” I asked Irene, looking her directly in the eye.
Irene smiled joyfully and clapped her hands together happily.
“Unfortunately with your magic you can’t. I on the other hand can.”
Irene turned her back towards me and faced the Muck that was far off into the distance. She extended a hand out towards it and closed her eyes, muttering an incantation under her breath. In the distance, the Muck started glowing with a white light before vanishing in a burst of light.
“What did you do?”
My question seemed to please her as she turned around with a smile.
“I told you before that my magic is called Decomposition. Basically I turned the Muck into harmless molecules.”
“Are you some kind of walking textbook?” I asked. Even though she told me about this before, it was the first time seeing it in action. It wasn’t as flashy as I expected.
“Of course not. As I told you before I can determine the make-up, weakness, and skills of a creature or object with a glance. I have to say, if we combine our powers we’re pretty strong,” she giggled.
Irene cocked her head to the side as I stared at her while stroking my chin in thought.
“What?”
“I think I know why those Demon Kings sealed you now,” I stated.
“Don’t be mean,” Irene pouted. That’s when I noticed something was wrong with her.
“Irene, you’re fading again,” I told her. She looked down at her body and saw that she was starting to fade away.
“I think I used too much power,” she sighed before directing a stern look at me, accompanied with her delicate finger pointing accusingly at me.
“Don’t go to sleep yet, Jun. There’re other creatures like those Mucks that harm the environment. If you let them go your dream of napping in the grass and trees will disappear!”
“I got it, I got it,” I said, and countered with, “But without you here I won’t know what they are and how to defeat them. You don’t want me to attack a helpless, innocent demon do you?”
Irene glared at me, knowing I was just using that as an excuse to not do anything.
“Nagasaki should be nearby. Go gather some information there and find a place to stay until I get back. And Jun, if I find out you wasted the day sleeping I will be very, very angry.”
With those parting words she finally disappeared. I sighed in relief. It seemed Irene couldn't keep whatever magic she was using to transport her soul or spirit or whatever to me for long, but it did seem like she could keep it up a lot longer now. She could even perform magic now, but apparently that was still too much for her.
I wearily stood, knowing Irene wouldn't use her Decomposition magic on me, but I heard that the Demon Lord of Nagasaki had polluted the land he controlled. If he was using Mucks and other creatures to corrupt the land, I better stop him before all the trees are wiped out around Nagasaki.
A little more than a month ago I’d been conserving energy on one of Japan’s islands. Now I was finally on my way to my first destination. Even after having Irene hang around me the whole time, I still didn't know much about her. I don’t really care, though. Prying required interest and energy, both of which I didn't have much to begin with. Neither of us asked each other about our pasts, and neither of us spoke about it.
I’m fine with that.
Sakura-drops
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sakura-drops »

Chapter 2: Nagasaki
Spoiler! :
−Nagasaki−
The city was worse than I expected. Image the worst post-apocalypse movie you've seen and that’s what it looked like. The buildings were dilapidated and crumbling, the streets were nearly empty with a few craters in the road here and there, and the few people that did walk about had hollowed looks in their eyes as they walked around lifelessly. I spotted a restaurant nearby and made my way towards it. The place was slightly run down, but considering the condition of the city, it was a pretty good place. The mood inside was a bit more lively and a few people laughed loudly, but that might have been the beer they were consuming.
I sat down and ordered a nice, hot bowl of ramen and listened to the voices and drunken laughter around me. I sipped my tea from the cracked cup when a piece of interesting info drifted towards my ears.
“Did you hear? A hero is coming,” a young woman whispered nearby, but she didn't seem pleased about it.
“I heard its Hero Freedert. They say she slayed the Demon Lord in Sapporo.” This new delighted me. That means I could skip going all the way north and just go to Sendai. Ah, wait. Just because Hero Freedert defeated the Demon Lord doesn't mean Irene will let me off. If the hero didn't destroy the object powering the seal I’d never hear the end of it if I didn't go there myself.
“I hope she skips Nagasaki. Did you hear what happened after the Demon Lord was killed in Sapporo?”
I heard the man and woman shift uneasily at their table.
“The Demon King appointed an even crueler ruler in Sapporo. I hear that the new Demon Lord even eats humans. Things aren't much better here, but at least we don’t have to worry about becoming the Demon Lord’s snack.”
“But what if she could defeat him,” the man tentatively suggested. “What if she could defeat the Demon Lord and free us? We can’t survive much longer with the decay he’s spreading.”
“Don’t you remember Sapporo?” the woman hissed.
“Yeah, but we can hope and dream, right?”
The waitress brought over my meal just as the discussion ended. I thanked her and quickly ate as I fragments of conversations around me, and none of them sounded good.
“Crops are dying…”
“…supply short…”
“…high taxes …polluted water...famine…”
The city was in a dire situation. It was only a matter of time before every human around Nagasaki died.
After paying my meal I left the restaurant and walked around town looking for an inn. The further I walked the worse the buildings looked and the fewer people I saw. It wasn't until I reached a large stone wall and peeked through a hole in it did I realize why. The other side had been converted into a demon residence, and the reason for the buildings being abandoned and destroyed was probably due to fights among demons. The buildings were bright and new, filled with lively creatures walking about. It was the polar opposite of the side I was on. I walked along the wall and found that it circled around the human area, trapping everyone inside.
I sighed wearily and resumed searching for an inn. Finally, after an hour, I found a place that was renting rooms. Not exactly an inn, but I wasn’t too picky about it.
With my room key in hand I walked down the rickety hallway and almost collided with the figure that turned the corner. The person quickly jumped back and looked at me with narrowed, wary eyes before going on their way again. Only the eyes were exposed so I couldn't tell if that person was male or female. But when he/she moved past me, I heard the sound of a sword hitting against their leg as they walked. Ah what did it matter?
Yawning, I opened the door and sat on the straw bed and immediately lay down. Maybe I can catch a quick nap.
“I’m back!” Irene cheered, appearing beside me as she hovered over the floor. Give me a break.
I pulled back my hood with a sigh and looked up at Irene. I didn't have the energy to get up after walking all day.
“So what did you find out?” she asked.
“The city’s divided into two, with us being on the human side. Things look pretty bad. It’s only a matter of time before all the humans die. I doubt they can escape either, since there’s a wall circling this side of the city. I heard someone talk about a curfew, so they probably closed off all the exits.”
“How are we supposed to get to the Demon Lord then?” Irene wondered with a worried expression.
“I have an idea,” I said, pointing at Irene. “You go and scout the demon side.”
“M-Me?!” she squeaked with wide eyes.
“Yes you. Since you’re kind of a ghost right now, they won’t be able to see you, right?”
“I-I guess…” she mumbled, clearly not liking the idea.
“So hurry up and go,” I said, making shooing motions with my hand.
“Fine,” Irene huffed and flew through the ceiling. Finally I can get some sleep while she’s out. I closed my eyes and was about to fall asleep when Irene came back in less than 5 minutes.
“That was fast,” I grumbled gloomily.
“Don’t be like that you lazy bum,” Irene lightly scolded. She smoothed out her skirt before floating down and hovered above a nearby chair, pretending to sit.
“So?”
“I couldn't reach it,” she mumbled, depressed.
“Is there some kind of barrier?” I asked with a frown. With Irene in her ghost-like state it should be a piece of cake to sneak in and out without being seen.
“Well,” she began, “I saw what you meant by the wall, but that was as far as I could go. When I tried to go farther past the wall, I guess I kind of blurred out? Like I was having trouble staying and I almost went back to my real body.”
“Did anyone see you?”
Irene shook her head. At least this was good news. Even demons couldn't see her, which could work out for me.
I sighed and pondered this new information in my head. There didn't seem to be a barrier set up along the wall, since nothing prevented the demons from busting holes in it, and I didn't feel any magic coming from it. That means there was only one thing.
“You have a distance limit,” I stated. Irene’s eyes widened for a moment before her face scrunched up in thought.
“Maybe…”
“Try heading to the restaurant to the south,” I instructed. She gave me a confused look before complying and flew out the wall behind me. Less than 5 minutes later and she was back.
“I couldn't make it,” she reported.
“How far did you get?”
“To this giant pile of garbage. I think all the cars were thrown there, but they’re all destroyed. I doubt anyone could use them to get away.”
I nodded and told her to go as far west as she could. When she returned she looked frustrated.
“I barely made it to this giant crater. I heard someone say it was caused by the demon invasion. I tried to go farther Jun, I really did, but I start blurring like a TV with bad connection,” she mumbled with her head hanging in depression.
“I know, I know,” I said soothingly, not wanting her to break down on me. I had a pretty good idea what her limit was, but one more test wouldn't hurt. With instructions to go east, Irene left with her shoulders slumped wearily.
5 minutes had passed and Irene hadn't returned yet. I frowned at the wall where she left, wondering if she actually made it farther or if she had disappeared back into her body. Not including the first time we met, which was due to her inexperience and inability to hold the spell for long, Irene said she needed a ‘recharge’ period in order to use the spell again, since it uses up her magic. I’m not sure if this applied to her distance limit, but if it did she’d be gone for a long time.
But Irene knew her limits. She wouldn't push herself until she disappeared. That would mean I’d have the chance to sleep in peace, and she was against that. Hah, maybe there wasn’t a difference between her and the demons that wanted to kill me after all.
Minutes ticked by and I wondered if she had disappeared. I sat up, contemplating my next move when a loud, frantic voice screamed my name from the eastern wall.
“Juuuuuunn!” Irene screamed my name as she flew through the wall at a super-fast speed –a speed I didn't know she could travel –towards me. I shielded myself with my arms reflexively as she flew right through me and screeched to a halt before she passed through the other wall.
“Wow, I didn’t know I could fly that fast,” she said in amazement and spun around to face me.
“Did you have to scream my name like that?” I asked, lowering my arms.
“Wha –yeah I did!” she exclaimed suddenly. “I saw a suspicious person walking around, so I decided to follow. I couldn’t tell who it was since they were wearing a cloak and their face was covered.”
“Go on,” I prompted.
“That person ran into a group of thugs and they suddenly pulled out knives. Then the person pulled out a sword and… and killed them,” she finished quietly.
“Do you know where this person was headed?”
Irene shook her head. “Once we reached a large office building I started blurring again, so I came back as fast as I could to tell you!”
“I see…” This person was probably the same person I almost ran into on my way to my room. But what was their intention?
“Ah, let’s forget about it,” I said, lying back down, uninterested.
“What?! Why?!” Irene demanded, hands on her hips.
“I’m here to save you, not become some idiot who runs around yelling, “For Justice!” at the top of my lungs.”
“You stupid self-proclaimed hero,” Irene said angrily. “You told that little boy you were a hero, but you won’t even bother stopping something potentially evil!”
“Oh stop nagging me. If you want to do something, then get your own body back and do it. I told you before, my main goal is to sleep and conserve energy. Thanks to you it comes second, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to forget it and go waste energy running around and poke my nose where it doesn’t belong.”
“You don’t have to say it like that that,” Irene mumbled dejectedly.
Ah, she’s such a pain.
“OK, cheer up and stop looking at me with such a sad face. I have one piece of good news for you.”
“What is it?” she asked skeptically.
“I figured out your distance limit. Judging from the places you could reach, I’d say it’s about 1 kilometer.”
“Wait, so I can only be 1 kilometer away from you?” Irene repeated, clearly surprised. Whether she was happy or unhappy with the distance I couldn't tell, but eh, what did I care?
“Yeah. Anyway, you don’t need to worry about that person. I have a pretty good idea who it is.”
“Wait, you do?” she gasped. “You, the lazy self-proclaimed hero who has no friends?”
“Hey, no need to insult me. I wouldn't be a self-proclaimed hero if it wasn't for you,” I shot back and stood to Irene’s surprise.
“Where’re you going?
“We’re going to pay this mystery person a visit,” I said. “If my hunch is right we can get everything wrapped up and still have time for a nap.”
*~*~*~*
I followed Irene to the abandoned office building the person had apparently gone into. Well it was supposed to be abandoned, but I saw a few people patrolling the building. A few of them had guns but most of them held machetes or lead pipes.
“I thought you said it was empty,” I hissed at Irene.
“I was kind of busy following the person and blurring, ah ha ha ha,” she laughed sheepishly.
“Go be useful and tell me how many there are,” I sighed. Irene gave me a mock salute and flew over the fence. Currently I was hiding behind a rusted, long forgotten car. Ah, I just wanted to go to sleep. Night time was meant for sleeping.
When Irene came I was half-asleep on my feet. After yelling in my ear to wake me up, she told me what I wanted to know.
“There’s about 10 guys outside and about 50 more inside. I even spotted a few women and children inside, but all of them were armed. What’s going on?”
“We’ll figure that out later. Where’s that person?”
“On the main floor actually. It seems like that persons the boss, so I thought they’d be at the top. So I ended up wasting time going down a bunch of empty floors, sorry,” she finished apologetically.
“I wouldn't mind if you take longer next time,” I yawned, stretching.
“Jun!” Irene fumed at my lazy attitude.
“Okay let’s go,” I said and headed towards the building.
“How are you going to get in?” Irene asked, floating after me.
I grinned at her and said, “Through the front door of course.”
*~*~*~*
5 minutes later and I was sitting on the ground on the main floor, my hands tied behind my back with a thick rope. My sword, cloak, backpack, and jacket had been taken and were currently beside the mysterious cloaked figure, who sat on an old, cracked chair studying me with narrowed eyes.
“Is this your great plan?” Irene hissed, looking around uneasily at the 20 or so men around us. They couldn’t see her of course and were busy glaring at me while holding their weapons at the ready.
“You bet,” I replied under my breath. If I started actively chatting with Irene, I’d seem like a nutcase. For my purposes I didn’t want to seem insane just yet.
“Yo, if you got something to say, say it!” one of them snapped at me, holding his pipe threateningly as the others agreed.
“Okay then,” I said out loud and turned my attention to the cloaked figure.
“Hero Freedert, I assume?”
Her eyes seemed to smile as she pulled down her hood. She looked to be in her mid-30s with short brown hair and had an amused smile on her lips.
“How did you guess?” she asked with an accent.
“No one hides their face in this town besides you and me. Besides, no one wants you here.”
“Shut your mouth!” one of the men spat, taking a step forward. Freedert extended an arm to him, stopping his advance before turning her attention towards me again.
“It’s true that most of the citizens believe that change will only make life harder for them, but as you can see some want change,” she said, gesturing to the people around the room, who seemed to have increased in number. I even saw a child or two in the crowd.
“You’re not from Japan are you,” I questioned, already knowing the answer.
“It’s not uncommon seeing people of non-Japanese descent now, since the slave trade spreads us everywhere. Is that a problem?” She asked this in a light-hearted tone, but her eyes challenged me to say otherwise.
“I don’t really care,” I said with a shrug.
“So why did you come looking for me?” she questioned. From the bump in her cloak I knew her hand rested on the hilt of her sword, but that didn’t stop me from saying my next words.
“I don’t really care what happens to this city-“
“Screw you!”
“Go die!”
“I’ll kill you!”
“You’re such an insensitive idiot, Jun!” Irene shouted at me.
Freedert raised a hand, silencing all the angry shouts directed at me.
“-but we have a common goal,” I finished.
“And what exactly is that?” she asked with narrowed eyes.
“To defeat the Demon Lord,” I stated with a grin. Everyone inhaled sharply and started talking amongst themselves.
“How about we team up?” I suggested. “We’ll both work to defeat the Demon Lord. All I ask is that I be allowed to search the Demon Lord’s castle after and you can continue with your reform or demon slaying or whatever.”
“Like hell we will!” someone yelled.
“What can a brat like you do?!”
Irene looked around uneasily and floated closer to my side.
“Oh you’ve made them angrier,” she whimpered.
“It’ll be alright,” I whispered under my breath as Freedert was busy discussing something with some of the men. Once she turned to face me again the room quieted down into hushed silence.
“How do we know you won’t drag us down?” she questioned.
“You don’t,” I said with a shrug. “I’m not asking for a partnership. If I slow you down just leave me behind. All I want is to search the Demon Lord’s castle.”
“Don’t listen to him! He’s going to steal the treasure!” someone objected.
“Just what are you looking for?” Freedert asked, ignoring the interruption.
“That depends. It might just be the treasure you’re talking about.”
Freedert sat there thoughtfully as we waited for her verdict.
“Alright,” she said, surprising her crew who cried out in outrage.
“Glad to hear it,” I said. Beside me Irene slumped in relief.
“But if you betray us I will kill you,” Freedert warned, standing so I could see the hand that gripped the hilt of her sword.
“I didn’t expect anything less,” I said casually with a grin. That was easy.
“Go untie him,” Freedirt instructed.
“Don’t bother,” I said, pulling my hands apart and waved him away. Freedert and Irene looked at me with surprise. Untying myself had been a piece of cake.
“How long have you been untied?” Freedert and Irene asked simultaneously.
“From the moment you made me sit I guess,” I said absently, answering both their questions as I stood.
“I shouldn’t underestimate you,” she said with a nod and ordered me to follow. One of her henchmen grudgingly handed me my stuff. Irene stuck close to me as we followed Freedert into an empty office that was serving as their base. A roughly drawn map of Nagasaki was laid out on the table and a few more hung on the walls.
“So what’s the plan?” I asked, studying the maps.
“We strike tomorrow,” she announced.
“That’s fast.”
“This rebellion has been planned for quite some time.”
“I thought you just arrived,” I said.
“That’s true. I arrived a little over 2 weeks ago but the people are tired of waiting.”
“You think you can win?” I asked, not concerned in the least.
Freedert gave a long, weary breath before replying.
“We’ll see.”
“What made you become a hero?” I suddenly asked, curious as to why someone would choose such a tiring occupation.
Freedert was silent. I didn't really care if she responded or not, but eventually she did.
“10 years ago I was studying to become a teacher. When they invaded I was captured and sent to Japan as a maid. I learned Japanese from a girl who was forced to work for the demon as well. Long story short I eventually escaped. I wanted to save the people back at the mansion so I trained. It was then that I learned I could use magic. However, everyone in the mansion died and the demon had disappeared. It was then that I cast my old name aside and took up the name Freedert. I will continue to free people from the demons as long as I live,” she said with conviction.
“You’re not saving anyone,” I stated, absently flipping through an old, yellowed book.
“Once you kill a Demon Lord a new one will be appointed. Or are you telling me you’ll exterminate all demons?” I wasn't mocking her by saying this. I just wanted to see how far she thought this through and really intended to waste her life fighting.
“I know my limits,” she stated.
“At my current level I have no hope at defeating the Demon King of Japan. I’m sure you've heard of Sapporo. I barely won even though I had amassed a large force to fight them. But even if I can’t free everyone from the demon’s control, I can still help someone. And hopefully people will realize it is possible to fight against them. If I can be that hope I’ll gladly keep fighting.”
“Well good luck with that,” I said with a shrug, finding it was a waste. Why fight when you could sleep? Maybe Irene should have been stuck with Freedert than me, but there wasn't anything I could do about that.
Done with the small talk I asked what the plan was.
“We’ll strike at noon,” she stated, pointing a spot on the map. She traced a finger along the wall that divided the city in half and tapped her finger at the center.
“Half of the remaining citizens of Nagasaki have joined us. We’ll be splitting into three groups. You’ll be accompanying me as I lead the troops from the center and the other two will head around. Once the forces from the sides slip in past the wall, our job will be to cause a distraction, allowing them to slip into the castle undetected. We’ll then carve our way towards the castle and join up with our comrades who’ll be fighting the Demon Lord.”
“Such a reckless plan,” I sighed. So much energy will be wasted.
“It’s the only shot we have.”
“Alright, alright,” I said in defeat. Well, one sword wouldn't be enough for such a troublesome task.
“Let’s see… I think I can fit 2 swords on each hip… Okay! I’ll need 3 more swords, a bow, and a quiver of arrows before I agree to this.”
Freedert gave me a bewildered look, but did agree in the end.
“I’ll see you tomorrow then.”
*~*~*~*
For once I woke up on time –something that had delighted Irene that morning –and was currently crouching in one of the abandoned buildings right by the wall. One of the nearby men glared at me when I yawned. I couldn't help it. Not only was I bored but my legs were starting to get sore from staying like this for so long.
Irene was currently flying above the building with instructions to be my lookout. I couldn't have her hanging so close to me, and she was more than happy to comply.
“You seem very calm,” Freedirt noted with a strained smile. Clearly she was nervous, maybe even afraid, but it wasn't that odd. Everyone around us wore similar expressions.
“Nah I just woke up so I’m still sleepy,” I said lazily. “Thanks for the weapons by the way.”
“You’re welcome,” she said, looking at me skeptically. Out of everyone I was the dressed the oddest. Everyone had a sword at their hip and a few even had a gun or two tucked away. There were a few archers, but most of them were with the side groups. I guess you can say I looked like a mismatch of everything with 2 swords on each hip and a bow and quiver strung over my back. For the purpose of today’s battle I even left my cloak and bag behind. Hah, I just want this over with quick.
“Why?” Freedirt asked. Apparently I spoke that last thought out loud.
“No real reason. I’m aiming to finish this by nightfall.”
“I don’t think that’ll happen,” she cut in and tried forcing some logic down my throat.
“Even with the amount of people I amassed, how long we can hold out is unpredictable. Realistically we might continue fighting into tomorrow as well. If the battle ends sooner it’ll be due to our annihilation.”
“Ah, don’t be so pessimistic,” I said dismissively.
“I’m being realistic,” she shot back.
“Hah, whatever,” I sighed and stood.
“What are you doing?” Freedert hissed.
“It’s time, right? I hate wasting energy, but I hate wasting time even more,” I stated and headed down out of the building. I could feel everyone’s murderous gaze on me, but what did I care? If I want to finish up by nightfall, better start now!
A gate meant for keeping humans out loomed before me. It was obviously locked with chains wrapped around it. How useless.
With my hands in my pockets I gave it a nice, quick side-kick. With a loud snap of metal it flew off its hinges and crashed to the ground in the middle of the road. Nearby demons gawked at me and the gate –now having a large indent in the center.
“Listen up demons!” I shouted, standing in the gateway.
“If you want to live get out of the city. If you want to die come at me.”
They laughed at me and threw taunts as they started transforming. Some completely lost their humanoid shape while others started growing fangs, claws, and wings.
“You idiot!” Freedert yelled at me as she and the rest of the gang hurried to where I was.
“Puny humans! Tremble in fear!” a troll roared nearby.
“Ah, you’re so annoying,” I said, feeling slightly irritated as I loosened my shoulders with an audible pop.
“You’ll regret those words! I’ll-“
Ah, I’m tired of listening to their monologue. I ran to the center, so fast it seemed like I teleported, with a hand on the hilt of my borrowed katana and behead a werewolf as I unsheathed it. Keeping with the momentum I spun and slashed the goblin behind him in half. Time seemed to slow down as I continued my attack, slashing the vampire beside him down. By the time I sheathed my sword it took me less than 3 seconds to reduce 15 monsters around me to lifeless hunks of meat.
The demons recoiled and jumped away with fear, anger, and disbelief in their eyes. I heard Freedert and her gang gasp behind me, but I didn't give them much thought. They’d just slow me down anyway.
“Time’s precious, guys. If you want to leave, go right ahead. I’m on my way to the Demon Lord’s castle, so either let me through or die,” I warned, partially unsheathing my katana with a flick of my thumb, letting everyone see the metal glint in the afternoon sun.
I’m not sure if any of them retreated since they swarmed me at once. Not much I could do now.
I behead the first monster to reach me before stabbing the next one in the heart. I kicked its body away before slicing another behind me in the stomach, finishing him off by stabbing him in the mouth. Blood and gore flew everywhere as I continued to cut them down. I smashed my elbow into their face and caught another one with a kick to the head.
“Die!” a troll roared, bringing his fist towards me. Clicking my tongue in irritation, I easily dodged his attack and slashed at his arm. He howled in pain as I spotted cracks form in the blade. I’m impressed how well this blade held against the strength of a troll’s skin, but it’s time to retire had come.
I threw the katana at his neck and unsheathing a new one in an instant. I continued making my way towards the castle as the troll crashed to the ground behind me.
“Above you!” Irene yelled from above. I rolled forward in time to dodge an arrow and chopped off the legs of the demon before me as I rolled into a crouch. Another arrow flew at me, which I used the body of a demon to block. I grabbed a tiny goblin by the collar and tossed him into the oncoming arrow. Ah, this was so annoying.
I kicked a skeleton in the ribs, pulverizing its spine in the process and followed it up with a kick in the stomach to the monster behind it. I quickly sheathed my sword as it hunched over in pain and I jumped, using it as a spring board as I landed on the roof of a nearby building. Dodging an arrow with a roll, I quickly slid the bow off my shoulder and notched an arrow at the same time. Landing in a crouch, I took aim at the nearest demon and fired, catching it in the head. It fell to the ground as the other 7 screamed in outrage. Running across the rooftops, I shot each one of them down –either in the heart or the head.
“If you want to kill me you’re going to have to do a better job!” I taunted the demons below as I ran along the rooftops. The roared in outrage and followed after me, almost forgetting about Freedert and her gang. I think she tried yelling something to me, but maybe I imagined it.
A ball of fire flew at me and I took shelter behind a chimney. Ah, who’s breathing fire at me now?
“How’s it looking Irene?” I shouted as the demon continued shooting fireballs at me. Another one flew at me from the front and I leapt away. I forgot there were other streets.
“They’re swarming in on your location! The good news is the other groups have made it inside because of your crazy rampage,” she shouted towards me. Good for them but that meant more work for me.
“Just use your magic!” she shouted.
“On small fry like them? That’s anticlimactic! Besides, it’s a good way to exercise the body!” I shouted back. Well, might as well speed things up.
Giving a mighty leap from the top of a building I grabbed the hilts of two short swords. I unsheathed them at such a lightning fast speed that the shockwave sent a huge blast of air at the ground, creating a large X shaped crater in the ground that flattened, crushed, and sent monsters flying. Ah, shoot. Now there’s a bunch of dust.
Something flew through the dust at me and I lashed out with a kick, catching the harpy in the face. I landed on my feet and dashed forward. I was wasting too much time here.
“W-Wait for me!” Irene called behind me. Oops. She’s the only one I can’t leave behind. Her eyes will come in handy with the Demon Lord.
“Th-They’re retreating!” she gasped. I quickly glanced around and did see the monsters around me starting to thin out. Of course a few of them continued to lunge at me, but I quickly took care of them.
I finally screeched to a half in front of the Demon Lord’s castle. It seemed the Demon Lord had done some landscaping. Whatever buildings that had once stood here were gone and replaced with a massive, Gothic style castle. It felt like an old, cliché set for a vampire movie.
“We finally… caught up… with you…” Freedert panted along with her gang. It seemed like the majority of them survived.
“You’re crazy,” someone wheezed.
“Are you even human?” another questioned.
“I bet that was some kind of support magic, right?”
“No, it’s wind magic. Did you see his last move?”
“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” I said absently, having no intention of answering. I gave a high-pitch whistle and Irene flew to my side.
“See? If you were always this serious we could be done with Japan in a month or two,” Irene said with a smile, even though her face was pretty pale. She probably wasn't used to seeing so much blood and gore.
“Can’t go against my nature now,” I said and extended my hand, pretending to pat her head. A bit of color returned to her face as she pouted playfully.
“What are you doing?” Freedert cut in.
“Nothing,” I said with an easy-going smile, pulling my hand back. I turned to face the doors once again and whispered under my breath to Irene.
“Try and find the Demon Lord.”
“Got it,” she said, flashing me a thumbs up before flying into the mansion.
“So,” I said out loud, catching Freedert’s attention.
“Who and what is the Demon Lord of Nagasaki?”
“His name is Samael. We don’t know exactly what he can do, but judging from all the decay it must be something that causes instant death,” a man reported.
“Well isn't that dramatic?” I muttered, taking a step towards the door.
“Wait,” Freedert said, grabbing my arm.
I turned around and pointedly looked at the hand on my arm. She narrowed her eyes at me and slowly let go, probably thinking I was going to run away –or charge inside, one or the other.
“Who are you?”
“I’m Jun Yoshida, a human like you,” I casually said, gesturing to the rest of them.
“Those weren't the moves of a human,” she objected, searching my face.
“Is this really the time to question me when we can go kill the Demon Lord?” I said, tilting my head towards the doors.
Freedert grudgingly nodded and fell into step beside me as we entered something that looked like a foyer, with a bunch of creepy paintings and statues around the place. There was a pair of curving stairs that led to the second floor in front of us, and a couple of hallways. Where to go, where to go? Logic says to the highest floor. It’s the rule of every video game.
“This way,” Freedert suddenly declared, pointing at the hallway to our left.
“Why that way?” I questioned.
“Just follow me,” she said and started walking in that direction. Sighing in defeat I fell into step beside her.
“Why did you decide to join us? It seems like you could handled this on your own,” she said in a low voice, probably so the others wouldn't hear her.
“I told you it wasn't for a partnership,” I repeated.
“If I charged into the middle of your fight suddenly like I did, you’d probably think I was an enemy –a demon at worst. I don’t want to deal with the hassle of explaining myself to you mid-fight. Besides, if you caught me inside the castle you’d assume I was a demon or a thief. Again, a hassle I wanted to avoid.”
She went silent for a moment before saying, “You really are a lazy guy, but it seems you thought this through.”
I shrugged and continued walking. Irene appeared and reported that the Demon Lord Samael was located on the top floor. Ha ha ha! Video game logic is proven right!
Anyway, Samael apparently uses poison as his weapon. His body can secrete poison like sweat and create a blade of poison –allowing him to control its shape and hardness.
“But it’s odd,” Irene said with a worried look as she floated beside me.
“I checked everywhere bet only the Demon Lord is in the castle. I don’t see a guard anywhere.”
“Maybe he’s just that cocky,” I whispered back.
“You say something?” Freedert asked.
“Nope. Just thinking out loud to myself,” I lied.
Irene guided us to where Samael was and I shoved open the door before Freedert could stop me.
“So you've finally arrived,” he greeted with a smirk. He looked like a sickly man with black hair and pasty white skin. No, wait, make that scales. Faint, pasty white scales covered his body and his pupils were black, narrow slits.
“Yeah, yeah. Let me guess, you’re going to spring your trap on us right now, right?” I guessed with a casual air about me, keeping my eyes locked on him.
“Cheeky brat,” he hissed and snapped his fingers. Bars that I thought were meant for ventilation fell away from the walls and cat sized bats flew out, diving towards us. Gah, what a pain.
A curtain of fire suddenly shielded us and the bats flew into it, unable to stop and fell to the ground in charred hunks.
“Where are my men?” Freedert demanded. None of the other men from the other groups could be seen.
“I see, a Magician,” Samael said with a twisted smile.
“No matter. You’ll meet the same fate as them.”
Irene gasped and pointed at the walls in horror. The men from the other groups were slumped on the floor, dead, and their skin was an odd purple color. I heard someone retch behind me.
“Yes! I like those expressions,” he stated with a sadistic laugh.
Samael stood and extended his hand out. A dark purple liquid oozed from his skin and took the form of a shiny purple scythe in his hand.
“Get down!” I shouted, dragging Freedert down with me as Samael slashed the air with his scythe, sending dark purple pellets flying at us. It flew over my head, but a few slow men weren't so lucky. They fell to the ground, screaming in agony as the poison could be seen spreading through their body in dark, purple tendrils beneath their skin.
“Continue screaming in agony as I slowly kill you like the rest!” he laughed joyfully.
“Go!” I shouted at Freedert, pointing towards the door behind us.
“Men! Fall back!” she ordered and they were more than happy to comply, dragging their wounded with them out the door.
“Why aren't you going too?” I asked, my irritation seeping into my voice.
“I can’t leave you to fight him alone. I can use magic so you fall back as well.”
“Don’t think this’ll be easy just because you have magic. You’re always saying ‘I have magic’ this and ‘I have magic’ that. You’re too dependent on it,” I warned, unsheathing a katana and readied myself. Samael rushed at us with blinding speed, but I anticipated this. Kicking Freedert away I blocked his horizontal slash. We both strained against each other before jumping away, putting some distance between each other.
“Be careful!” Irene exclaimed in a worried voice.
“I’ll be okay,” I replied evenly, keeping my eyes trained on Samael.
“Just get farther away and tell me if anything changes.”
“Alright,” Freedert said reluctantly, believing that I was speaking to her. I didn't care though, since she’d just be in the way. Both Irene and Freedert moved farther away from me, out of danger. I think it’s about time I started.
With a battle cry I charged towards Samael, slashing downwards above his head. He blocked it with his scythe, straining against the impact. His weapon seemed to warp a bit and I jumped back, twisting in the air to avoid the spikes that shot out from his scythe.
“Don’t let them touch you, Jun! They’re filled with highly toxic venom. Just a scratch will paralyze you instantly while the poison quickly courses through your veins!”
Clicking my tongue in annoyance, I sheathed my sword and quickly drew my bow. If I couldn't get close to him how about this?
I shot 3 arrows in rapid succession towards his heart, head, and leg. His scythe quickly turned into a shield, blocking the arrows as he stood behind it, smirking.
“You have to be kidding me,” I said, clicking my tongue as I swapped my bow for my trusty short sword. I took a step forward, steadying myself, and sent a powerful shockwave towards Samael as I slashed in his direction.
The shield caved in slightly and looked like it threatened to shatter as it strained against my attack.
“Not bad,” Samael said before extending a hand out. More poison oozed from his skin, flying towards his shield and strengthened it. My attack disappeared and his shield remained standing.
“You’re an interesting human,” he commented, his eyes bright like he found a new toy.
“I didn't sense any magic in your last attack. I've never met a human like you before. Why don’t you join me? Your skills will be put to better use than playing hero,” he offered, extending his hand out to me welcomingly.
“Eh? I might just consider it,” I said with a grin, ignoring Freedert’s outraged cry. Irene was floating above Samael with a confused expression, but I could see in her face that she still believed in me. She was too trusting, but I’m not complaining. It actually felt kind of nice.
“Wise choice,” Samael said with a smile.
“First I’ll have you-“
“I've got some questions first,” I cut in.
“What?” he asked with a bored expression.
“Out of curiosity do you have a magical item in your castle?”
“Of course,” he scoffed.
“I am a Demon Lord, so of course I have magical items. What, you want one of them? Go right ahead if you join me.”
“Well to be more specific, where is the item that’s sealing Irene?” I phrased it as a question but it came out as a demand. All traces of the Demon Lord that had tried recruiting me disappeared, replaced by a furious demon who glared daggers at me.
“You've come to save her? That little girl? Did you think I’d let you?! I would have let you join me, but since you’re after her I’ll have to kill you. A puny human like you has no hope of defeating me!” Samael roared. The atmosphere changed in the room instantly. The poison wall drew closer to Samael and wrapped itself around him, transforming him into a beast with long, poison laced claws on his hands and feet.
“I won’t feel satisfied until I rip you apart myself,” he stated in a low, menacing voice as he crouched, preparing to attack.
“Rah!” Freedert shouted behind him, charging towards Samael with her sword covered in flames, aimed at his heart. That idiot!
With lightning fast speed and reflexes I appeared instantly in front of her, putting myself between Freedert and Samael as he spun around.
“Don’t let him touch you!” Irene screamed.
I raised my sword in time to block the kick he aimed at us. Our feet skid across the floor as we were pushed back, but withstood the attack. I heard something hiss and looked at my sword. The place where Samael’s foot connected with it was starting to melt away, like something was eating at it.
“Irene! You didn't tell me he could use acid!” I shouted at the girl flying nearby.
“I’m telling you it’s still poison! I don’t know why but it has acidic properties now,” she said, obviously confused as she held her hands to her chest anxiously.
“I don’t expect you humans to know, but let me enlighten you,” Samael said with an air of superiority.
“Among us demons there are a few poisonous creatures whose venom has acidic properties. I’m sure you've seen those blobs roaming around Nagasaki.”
“You’re telling me you’re copying those Mucks,” I said, throwing my now useless sword aside.
“Copying doesn't describe what I've done. You see they’re my pets which I've studied intensively. I assure you that my poison is much more potent than theirs.”
“Can’t you use your magic on him?” I asked Irene. He was seriously irritating me.
“I can’t on such a large, complex target,” Irene argued.
“Even with my eyes I can’t handle all the complex compounds the human body –much less a demon’s body –is made of. Even if I could, I don’t have enough control over my magic to do it.”
“Then how about his poison?”
“Even if I did he’ll just make more. By that time I would've disappeared.”
Samael’s crazed laughter cut into our argument. He stood there and placed a palm on his forehead, tilting his head to the ceiling as he laughed at me.
“Oh, this is too funny! Have you given in to your despair and have gone delusional? You’re talking to thin air! What do you expect it to do?”
His crazed laughter echoed in the room, which seriously got on my nerves. Irene glared daggers at him and I could tell she wanted to blow him to smithereens.
“Don’t bother,” I told her, waving a hand dismissively before she could unleash her magic on him. I glanced outside and saw the sun start setting.
“Ah, screw this,” I sighed in defeat and scratched the back of my head.
“Good, just give in to despair,” Samael cackled, flexing his claws.
“You can’t give up! Run away while I distract him!” Freedert shouted at me and turned to face Samael with her weapon raised.
“Would you both just shut up and give it a rest?” I sighed irritably.
“First of all, Freedert you might as well leave. To put it simply: you’re in the way.”
Her eyes widened. Her face contorted in anger and disbelief at my words as her mouth opened and closed, but no sound came out.
“Secondly, you’re high and mighty attitude is seriously starting to tick me off,” I said in disgust towards Samael.
“Honestly I've wasted too much time here.”
“The feelings mutual you cocky-“
I ran towards Samael, slower than usual, and threw my last remaining sword at him. He caught it in his hand, taking his time to let me see the sword start to warp and melt as he held it –a stupid show of bravado, but that didn't make me stop.
“Did you think that would be enough? Now you’re-“
I cut him off by picking up my speed and appearing before him, hand placed at my hip as if to draw a sword even though I had none left. His eyes widened in surprise at my speed and he instinctively raised his arms to shield himself. It was that moment that I sliced deeply into his arm, but didn't separate it.
Samael howled in pain and leapt back, clutching his wounded arm as the tear I had created in his armor slowly sealed itself shut.
“What the hell is that sword?!” he shrieked.
“Oh, this?” I said, raising the hand that held the pure white sword that glowed softly, but shined brilliantly, as sleek as diamond. Wings sprouted near the hilt and spiraled around my hand.
“The Holy Sword White Breeze. A blade both beautiful and deadly. Weighting nothing to the user, it can easily cut through steel and boulders. White Breeze has no barrier properties or skills, but anything the blade touches is immediately purified. This effect extends to the user as well, but once the skin is pierced with a physical attack it cannot purify it,” Irene said as she analyzed my blade.
“Wow, you sound just like a-“
“Don’t! Don’t you dare compare me to that mindless talking machine,” Irene cut me off as she jabbed her delicate finger at me.
“Where did that come from? Don’t tell me you can use magic,” Freedert said, her eyes wide and filled with awe.
“My magic is called ‘Armory’. It allows me to summon any weapon I want –with a few limitations of course.”
Pointing my sword towards the ground and readying myself, I asked Samael with a grin, “Are you ready?”
“You lowly maggot!” he screeched, pointing his claws at me. Small orbs of poison flew at me like bullets. I swatted them away with my sword and charged. Samael panicked and raised an arm, changing his claw to a sickled blade.
I sliced his arm off before he could attack, feeling almost no resistance as I sliced through both his arm and armor.
“Ahhh!” he screamed, clutching his shoulder as blood poured between his fingers.
Out of all my blades I think this was my favorite –for now anyway. It goes without saying that I haven’t used them all. Besides, this blade was befitting of a Hero, right?
“And now you die,” I calmly stated without arrogance or gloating as I pointed the tip of my sword against his heart. Such emotions were a hindrance in these situations.
“Now tell me where the item is,” I demanded.
“I won’t tell you,” he spat, spitting blood at my face. I blocked it with my free hand and wiped it against my jacket. Disgusting.
Without any more dramatics I stabbed the Demon Lord through the heart.
“Disperse,” I commanded. My sword pulsed in my hand and started shining more brightly, engulfing Samael in its light before he disappeared in a shower of glowing orbs that flickered out.
With a weary sigh I deactivated my magic, sending White Breeze back to wherever it came from.
“I did it Irene,” I said, as if I just found a pair of socks she’d been looking for.
“You did it!” she cheered, flying towards me with an ecstatic smile.
“How did you do that?” Freedert asked, looking at me in disbelief, as if she was dreaming. Oh yeah, I almost forgot she was here.
“I stabbed him through the heart.”
“I don’t mean that,” she said, vigorously shaking her head.
“Those moves, that speed, that strength, and you can wield magic. You can’t be human.”
“I am, whether you want to don’t want to believe it or not. Anyway, Irene, can you sense the item?” I asked, turning towards my ghostly partner.
“On it,” she chirped, closing her eyes as she focused.
Her eyes shot open and she smiled broadly, pointing at the floor.
“I sense a strong magical presence beneath us.”
“Alright then,” I said and walked up to Freedert, who looked at me warily.
I sighed wearily. Would she just let me finish up already so I could sleep? I’m pretty sure I wasted a month’s supply of energy fighting today.
Not waiting for her consent, I wrapped an arm around her waist.
“Just what do you think you’re doing?!” she shrieked, giving a normal reaction for once.
“Hang on,” I warned and gave a mighty stomp, shattering the floor beneath us. She screamed as we fell, clinging onto me for dear life. I don’t know why in manga they made this seem cool and awesome. Who wanted to put up with a girl screaming directly into their ear, digging their nails into you or choking you with their vice-like neck hold? Not me, but unfortunately that was the fate of a hero.
I landed easily on the ground with Freedert in my arms and gently set her down. Her knees gave out and she collapsed on the floor, but I couldn't waste any more time on her.
What caught my attention was the large, jagged crystal pillar in the center of this dark and closed off room. It was a dark, smoky amethyst. I contemplated touching it but thought otherwise. I opted to lightly tapping it with one of the scabbards I still had. It sounded pretty solid and it didn't melt it.
“What’s this made of?” I asked Irene.
She stared at it intently but didn't answer. I guess I should leave her be.
I sat down and yawned, feeling mentally tired. The Demon Lord Samael had been a pain. If all the other Demon Lords are going to be like him, then I needed a very long nap before I headed to the next one.
“Is that the item you’re looking for?” Freedert asked, gazing at the pillar.
“We’ll see,” I said with a shrug, looking at Irene who was now circling the pillar intently.
“You keep looking off into the distance and talking to yourself. Is there someone there?”
“You could say that. Not surprised?” I asked with a raised brow when she didn't laugh or scoff at me.
She shook her head and sat down beside me.
“You’re full of surprises, so I’m not that shocked. But really, who are you?”
“You could say I’m a hero,” I yawned loudly, bringing tears to my eyes.
“I don’t mean to be rude, but you don’t seem like one. For starters, you’re kind of lazy,” she pointed out.
“Yeah, but I’ve got to save the world.”
I gave her a quick run-down of my quest to save Irene, omitting the fact that she can use Destruction magic. The last thing I needed was for her to spread the word about an immortal demon that can use powerful magic, which would lead people to want to kill Irene than save her.
“I see…” she murmured thoughtfully.
“My dream is to nap peacefully in the sun, so I can’t have immortal Demon King’s rampaging,” I concluded.
“That fits you perfectly,” she said with a chuckle.
“But you’re not much of a hero. Should I spread your name for you?”
“No,” I said, cringing at the thought. I didn't want people coming to me with their demon problems. Let some other hero handle those.
“Jun! There’s something weird with this crystal,” Irene called as she flew over.
“What? Is poison going to seep out if I break it?”
“No, it’s safe to touch but, well… I think there’s a person inside.”
“…Just great,” I sighed.
“What?” Freedert asked.
“There’s someone inside,” I told her and walked over to it. I placed a hand against it, whispering an apology to the poor soul trapped inside, and punching it.
“Ow!” I hissed, shaking out my bruised knuckles. The surface of the crystal cracked a bit, but it wasn't enough to shatter it.
Irene sighed and shook her head at me.
“Magic uses up more energy than punching,” I informed her, but I guess I didn't have a choice.
I extended my hand out and summoned White Breeze. I placed the tip against the crystal and used its ability Disperse –purifying whatever it touched instead of using it as a purification shield around the blade and me. However, this ability doesn't work on living things. It only worked on Samael because he had become one with his poison, making him ‘impure’.
The crystal was enveloped in White Breeze’s soft light. As it faded a figure started falling from where the crystal once stood. Leaping into the air, I caught the figure and landed, finding a little girl no older than 10 in my arms. Her hair was as pale white as her skin, and somehow she still lived even while in the crystal as her chest slowly rose and fell. Her eyes fluttered open, revealing ruby red orbs.
“Where… am I?” she asked faintly.
“You’re safe,” Freedert assured her, kneeling beside the girl.
“Lord Samael… Lord Samael’s after me,” she sobbed, tears forming in her eyes.
“Why?” I asked when a sudden, shooting pain wracked through my body. I quickly but gently set the girl down and clutched my arm where it was the most painful.
“Jun? Jun!” Irene called out as she panicked, extending her hand like she wanted to touch me, but knew she couldn't.
“What the hell?” I wheezed, finding it hard to breathe for some reason.
“Lord Samael touched you,” the girl stated with wide eyes.
“What?” There’s no way –dammit! It must have been the blood he spat at me. There must have been poison mixed in and probably used it to puncture my skin without me noticing. What an annoying guy.
Swaying a bit, I sluggishly slid off my jacket. My entire arm was a sickly purple color, and I could only image it spreading further.
“Let me see it Onii-san,” the little girl said, placing her hands on my arm.
“Onii-san is very strong. Anybody else would be dead by now.”
The girl’s hand started glowing with a pale green light and soothing warmth filled my arm. Slowly the color returned to normal and all traces of the poison disappeared.
“I see why he wanted to seal you,” I said, sighing in relief. For someone who controls poison, this girl would be their natural enemy. He must have been talking about her when he said ‘That little girl’, not Irene –well she wasn't a little girl to begin with. Hah, another dead end.
“Purification magic. It’s the first time I've seen it,” Irene said.
“This girl seems to be pretty good at it too. At her level I think she should be able to purify a bit of the land around Nagasaki.”
“Really? That’s great news!” I laughed joyfully. Let there be trees!
“Before I ask what you’re talking about, what’s your name, sweetie?” Freedert asked the little girl.
“Patricia,” she mumbled shyly.
Patricia jumped when I placed a hand on her head and ruffled her hair.
“Thanks for saving my life.”
“Y-Your welcome…” she stuttered, blushing slightly.
Once we finally got back to the surface people had gathered around the castle. They all cheered when we opened the doors and Freedert declared the Demon Lord dead. Everyone rushed Freedert and I allowed myself to fade into the background.
“Feel any different?” I asked Irene.
“No, the seal hasn't weakened,” she said with a sad shake of her head.
“Hey, I’ll find them. Don’t worry,” I assured her, giving her an imaginary pat on the head. She nodded, looking a bit happier and smiled. Good. But man, was I tired!
Just as I yawned Patricia tugged the hem of my jacket. She watched the people fearfully and hid behind me when someone walked by.
“Thank you for saving me,” she said in a soft but grateful voice.
“Hey, Patricia,” I said, squatting down to her level.
“Y-Yes?”
“You see I've got to go defeat all the Demon Lords and Kings, so I need you to do something for me.”
“What do you need me to do?” she asked, tilting her head slightly.
“I need you to help Freedert purify the land so I have a place to nap, okay? I know it’ll be hard and everyone will look at you differently, but you’re the only one who can do it, okay?”
She nodded her head with determined eyes. I was slightly puzzled when she suddenly stuck her pinky at me.
“Promise me you’ll come back and visit when you’re done.”
“Okay, okay. But it better be full of lush green grass when I come back,” I warned with a smile, linking my pinky with hers.
“I’m glad to hear that,” Freedert said behind me, accompanied by a few people.
“Everyone wants to express their gratitude for saving this city.”
“Forget it. I told you before didn't I? I don’t care what happens to the city. I only came here to defeat the Demon Lord and find the items I’m looking for.”
“Well I wish you luck on your journey. To the people of Nagasaki and myself, you are a true hero.”
“Thanks, but I’m still a self-proclaimed hero like yourself. It isn't until the whole world acknowledges my heroics will I truly become a hero,” I said absently, walking away.
“You’re welcome here any time! I believe you’re the only one capable of taking down all the Demon Lords and their Kings, Self-Proclaimed Hero Jun!” she shouted after me.
“Just call me Jun! It’s such a pain to say the whole thing,” I called back, raising my hand in a lazy wave but didn't turn around.
After making a stop at the base and retrieving my stuff –along with a brand new katana, I left the city. The voices faded, the people faded as well as the city. It was just me and Irene again.
“What about your nap, Jun?” Irene asked; floating beside me with her hands linked behind her back, peering at my face.
“Hero’s always have to have dramatic exits,” I stated. It was the law.
“Besides we didn't find anything. As you like to keep reminding me, we’re on a tight schedule.”
“Glad to hear it,” she giggled happily.
Not bothering to hide my grin, I pulled up my hood.
“Where to now, Irene?”
“Kyoto!”
Sakura-drops
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sakura-drops »

New chapter is now up! I know that in Japan it's last name then first name when introducing yourself, but that's a bit confusing for me (since Irene's name isn't Japanese so I was confused if I'd introduce her the Japanese way or English way) so they introduce themselves the English way (First name then Last name). If you could give me some feedback that'd be great! If I used the wrong name for the different monsters or spelled it wrong, let me know!

Chapter 3: Kyoto (Part 1)
Spoiler! :
−Kyoto –
My breath came out in thin white plumes as I tread through the knee high snow. The streets were as bad as Nagasaki’s in its own way. Little snow demons filled up the walkways people had painstakingly shoveled, making it impossible to get through. It was impossible to travel by car, so most had been abandoned on the streets. Kyoto had become the land of the Winter Demon Lord.
Compared to Nagasaki the streets were livelier, but it was in no way better. Honestly, I probably preferred Nagasaki to Kyoto. Not only was it warmer, but I could at least take a nap outside.
“Ah, I’m freezing and I’m tired,” I complained, shoving my hands into my pockets in an attempt to keep them warm.
“You can’t sleep now, Jun. You’ll die if you do,” Irene said, carefully watching me. Maybe she thought I’d actually try it. I may be lacking energy but I wasn’t stupid.
“Ah, I’m tired but I don’t want to die~”
I instinctively ducked as I felt something flying towards my head from behind. The snowball missed and continued flying until it plopped onto the snow.
“Ha ha hah!” a little girl with long black hair, pale skin, and blue-tinged lips laughed while holding another snowball in her hand. Surprisingly she was wearing only a white kimono in this frigid weather.
“You picked the wrong Onii-chan to play with,” I said in a fake evil villain voice, grabbing a mound of snow in my hands and threw it at her. Forming it into a snowball was too much work, and if I did I’d probably hurt the girl.
“Kyaa!” she screamed, laughing the whole time. A sudden gust of wind kicked up the snow, blocking my vision. When it cleared the girl was gone, leaving behind nothing –not even a pair of footprints.
Well that was short-lived.
I heard a gasp behind me and saw a few people watching me with horrified expressions. When they noticed me looking at them they fled, tripping through the snow as they did so.
“I wonder what’s wrong with them,” Irene said, cocking her head to the side in confusion.
“Forget them. Let’s find an inn,” I dismissed with a yawn, treading through the snow once again.
I found a promising building nearby and approached it. The moment I knocked on the door, however, the inn keepers quickly shut the door after taking one look at my face. What’s up with them? Not taking it to heart I tried the next one. The same thing happened with that one and the next. I even tried entering a restaurant but they just kicked me out.
“What’s going on?” I sighed, leaning against one of the snow covered trees.
“Maybe it’s some kind of new law to keep strangers out,” Irene suggested.
“Maybe,” I sighed, deciding I’d try again.
I was heading to the next inn I saw when a snowball went flying over my shoulder. Was it some kind of trend to sudden attack strangers with snowballs?
“They’re kids,” Irene said as I turned around to see 5 of them all bundled up from head to toe, snowshoes tied to their feet. They all glared at me with snowballs in hand.
“It’s your fault!” they shouted, throwing another at me.
“Whoa there,” I said, allowing them to hit me but smacked the ones aimed at my head away. It was required too much effort to move in this snow. Besides, most of them never reached me.
“You shouldn't blame innocent strangers.”
“If anything happens to the city it’s your fault!” they shouted one last time and fled, dropping their snowballs as they waddled away.
“What was that about?” I wondered. Irene just shrugged, as clueless as I was. I don’t remember picking a fight with kids.
“Look, someone’s coming!” Irene urgently said as she pointed behind me. I turned around to see someone wearing what looked to be a miko’s outfit. Her face was hidden behind her umbrella that caught the falling snow and the hood of her coat, but her red pants were clearly visible.
“Hello!” I called in greeting.
“Do you know where I can find an inn?”
“You have brought upon the Demon Lord’s wrath,” she stated. Well, wasn't she dramatic? She pulled her hood back and tilted the umbrella so we could get a good look at her face. Her long black hair was tied with a traditional white ribbon, and her brown eyes searched my face. She looked to be around Irene’s age, if not a year older.
“Oh. Well, whatever,” I said, not caring one bit with a shrug.
Her eyes widened in shock as her jaw dropped slightly. Hey, if I was afraid of Demon Lords getting mad at me I wouldn't be going around and killing them. Then I wouldn't have to deal with this hassle. Unfortunately, I didn't feel fear much these days.
“My name is Kyoko Higarashi,” the miko introduced herself.
“Jun Yoshida.”
“Irene Goldsworthy,” Irene introduced herself.
“It is nice to meet you, Yoshida-san,” Kyoko responded with a smile. Oh yeah, she couldn't see Irene. I’d gotten so used to her I almost forgot.
Irene’s smile wavered as sadness flickered in her eyes for a split second, but it disappeared as quickly as it came. She noticed me looking at her and gave me a bright, cheery smile. She didn't have to force it, but I wasn't going to tell her that.
“Why not stay at the temple?” Kyoko offered. “Frankly, your clothing is unsuitable for this weather.”
“Yeah,” I agreed, looking at my flimsy cloak. My shoes and jeans were soaked as well.
“Please bear with it a while longer. Unfortunately the temple is a bit far away,” Kyoko apologized.
“We better hurry then,” I stated and picked her up. I think they called it a ‘princess hold’ or something.
“Kyaa!” she screamed in surprise, her face turning a dark shade of red. Her scream of surprise turned into terror when I suddenly leapt high into the air and easily landed on a nearby lamppost.
“Which way?”
“Eh? Uh, that way,” she said and pointed.
She screamed again as I leapt from post to post. Eventually she grew silent, but I wasn't sure if she had passed out or not. I spotted the long line of red tori gates and was about to jump on one of them to use as a short cut. Disrespectful or not, I didn't want to walk through all of them. After wasting so much energy treading through snow I wanted a quick break!
“Watch out!” Irene cried out in warning as she flew after me.
A large fireball flew towards us as we were suspended in mid-air. Clicking my tongue in annoyance I threw Kyoko over my shoulder –who gave a startled cry –and unsheathed my katana fast enough to disperse the fireball with the wind pressure.
I quickly looked in the direction the attack came from and spotted the form of a young man retreating, his long white hair blending in with the snow. What a way to greet someone.
Once we landed I set Kyoko on the ground and stared down the line of tori gates. I really didn’t want to do this. Can’t I take a quick nap first?
“Are you a Magician?” Kyoko asked as she stood, brushing herself off.
“You decide,” I yawned, having no intention of answering as I sheathed my sword.
“Come on, Jun!” Irene called as she waved with both arms, laughing as she gazed at the scenery.
“Sheesh,” I said under my breath with a slight smile as I caught up to Irene at my own pace. Sometimes I believed that Irene had so much energy because she was leeching it off me. Like a parasite. I told her that once and she disintegrated my bed. How cruel.
On a serious note this place was odd. Even before I stepped through the gates I knew something was different. Not only was the amount of snow normal –compared to the city’s bizarre amount –but there was something in the air that was both tranquil yet dangerous.
I could hear Kyoko run after me as I continued to walk.
“This is the Fushimi Inari Taisha, isn’t it?” I questioned her.
“That is correct,” she confirmed with a nod.
“Then that guy must be a Magician or a kitsune,” I muttered to myself. It could only be these two possibilities. No reasonable demon would dare trespass in the domain of such a high ranking demon, which was revered as the servant of a god.
“You saw Inari-sensei?” Kiyoko gasped.
“Yeah.”
“…All the way from here?”
“Yeah.”
She stared at me with disbelief but I just shrugged. I’ve grown accustomed to those looks a long time ago.
“Your eyesight is pretty good, Jun. But remember, I was the one who detected the fireball first,” Irene sang as she floated backwards while facing me, beaming with pride.
“Please continue watching over me, O great Kamisama,” I said with a mock bow, causing Irene to laugh and Kyoko to look at me oddly.
For some odd reason the Fushimi Inari Taisha was a lot warmer than the rest of the city, feeling more like normal winter weather in Japan, rather than the North Pole or the Arctic. The sense of danger I felt intensified the further we went and I couldn’t settle down. My hand remained on my sword the whole time; even when we reached the entrance of the temple I didn’t release it. To put it in a really cliché way, it felt like I had stepped into the lion’s den.
“Wow! A temple!” Irene squealed, flying ahead like we were tourists. I warned her not to wander off too far, but she just waved it away.
“Is it just you and that Inari guy who attacked us?” I asked, glancing around the place.
“Yes, though I do not know why he did that,” she stated with a puzzled expression, not worried in the least.
Kyoko headed towards the temple doors and started calling, “Inari-sensei!”
The large doors opened, revealing the man who had attacked us. Even with his long hair he didn’t look feminine in the slightest, but I guess you could say he was a pretty guy with his aristocratic face. He didn’t look any older than his early 20’s, but I didn’t doubt he was way older. The lifespans of some demons were insanely long.
“I see you have returned safely,” the man Kyoko called Inari said with a smile, revealing pearly white teeth. It seemed he mastered the art of keeping his humanoid form. Usually demons didn’t both to hide their fangs. I’m not sure if he did that on purpose to try and fool me, but I wasn’t going to fall for it. Even if I didn’t have the magic sensing ability every demon had to tell humans and demons apart, I could sense it. His face was tranquil and friendly, but I noticed how his yellow eyes darted around the place like a hunter finding its prey. This guy wasn’t even trying to hide the power that was emanating from him, but it seemed like it went unnoticed by Kyoko. I instinctively tightened my grip on my sword.
“Eh?” Irene squeaked once his eyes landed on her and stayed there, completely confused, and looked behind her to see what he was looking at.
His eyes narrowed and I felt a sense of foreboding. I leapt in front of Irene just as he extended a palm towards her, shooting a large fireball from it.
I quickly sliced through it, dissolving it into little embers as the heat wafted over us for an instant.
“Are you trying to destroy the place or something?” I asked, resting my sword on my shoulder in a lazy manner with a smirk. I could see he wasn’t buying my carefree attitude, but I didn’t really care about that.
Did I think he could see Irene? Absolutely not. For all I knew he was just trying to intimidate me with a display of power, but I doubted such a powerful demon would do something so childish.
“Hmm, so there is something there,” he murmured thoughtfully to himself.
“Eh? You might want to get your eyes checked, because there’s nothing here,” I said, half-heartedly waving my arm out to the side to prove my point. Irene pouted, but I ignored her. This guy had to be bluffing.
“Then why did you step into the path of my attack?” he countered, his eyes looking like they saw through me. Tch, how annoying.
“I can’t have you burning the trees now, can I?” I said with a shrug.
“I plan on sleeping in them when the weathers warmer.”
From the corner of my eye I saw Irene flying higher into the sky. Inari’s eyes suddenly flicked towards her, as if he could see her. Nine balls of fire gathered around him and flew towards her.
“Eek!” Irene screamed, dodging them with all her might. What the hell? Could he actually see her? But his attack was pretty spread out, as if he wasn’t exactly sure where she was.
She floated towards the ground, standing in front of a wall with a panicked look on her face. His attacks suddenly changed and instead of shooting balls of fire at her, flames shaped as birds dived towards her.
I jumped in front of her and cut most of them down, but there was only so much I could do with a normal sword against so many. One of them pierced my cloak, setting it on fire.
I clicked my tongue in irritation and yanked it off, using it to whip the other birds away. Hah, that was my only cloak too. That guy better pay me back for it.
“Are you going to insist you are protecting that wall?” he said with a knowing smirk.
“Hey, they could’ve pierced it. That’s another napping spot that would’ve been wasted,” I replied casually. Those birds didn’t seem to have a mind and were more like projectiles than actually birds.
“How long do you insist on playing this game,” he asked, slipping his hands into his sleeves. Maybe he was cold too.
“Inari-sensei, please stop!” Kyoko begged as she ran towards him.
He just smiled and patted her head comfortingly.
“Once that boy gives up this farce will I be satisfied.”
“Yoshida-san?” She turned to me with a questioning look, wanting to know what I was hiding. I pointed my blade at Inari as an answer. I don’t intend to give up just yet.
Inari sighed, disappointed at my answer before a ring of fire appeared around him. Even from here I could feel the heat as the flames grew higher. Kyoko who stood in the center by Inari, looking unaffected by the heat, widened her eyes and looked at him in disbelief. This couldn’t be good.
The flames shrank but didn’t disappear. Instead they took the form of 5 fairly large foxes. They barred their fangs at me as the flames that made up their bodies flickered wildly. Ah, this really wasn’t good.
“Irene, run,” I instructed, readying myself.
“But-“
“Just go!” I said in an unusually harsh voice. She flinched, but reluctantly listened as she flew towards the entrance. Good.
As if hearing some invisible cue, the foxes charged at me. They were surprisingly coordinated. When one tried biting my leg the other went for my back and the rest went for my arms. I leapt high into the air, dodging them all, but they just twisted around each other like they anticipated it. Before they could jump after me, I slashed at the ground, causing them to disperse as my attack created a large crack in the ground, spraying debris. With an opening I charged towards their master once my feet landed on the ground.
They ran after me, but I didn’t look behind to see how far away they were. Instead I took a mighty, solid step towards Inari and slashed at his torso, intent on cutting him in half.
Kyoko barely had any time to scream.
My sword was stopped short and I strained against it. Inari looked down at me with an amused look as he held the blade in his hand, his unusually long nails visible. It seems he was letting his demonic form show a bit. But even for a demon he shouldn’t be able to stop it, much less block it, with just a hand. That strike would even pierce a troll’s skin.
“A barrier, huh,” I said with an irritable click of my tongue once I realized it. How many tricks did this guy know?
“Perceptive,” he praised with a smile. Damn, he was just toying with me.
I yanked my sword out of his grip and spun, feeling a sudden heat on my back. Two of the foxes leapt at me and I used my momentum to slash at them. I could feel an odd sort of resistance as I sliced through them both, reducing them to little embers. So they weren’t intangible flames.
It was then that I heard Irene scream. I whipped around to see her trapped in a fiery cage at the entrance. Damn! When I turned around to face the culprit he was already making his way towards Irene at a leisurely pace.
“J-Jun!” she shouted frantically.
“Don’t move!” I told her as I rushed towards her. That guy could somehow see Irene. If that was the case his attacks might hurt her.
I skid to a halt as the foxes cut me off.
“You should’ve taken the chance to attack me then,” I warned them as I charged. I sliced one in half and leapt high into the air. On the way down I started spinning and caught another with the back of my sword, slamming it into the ground. It yelped as it sank into the cement, causing a crater to form before disappearing.
The third one leapt into the air as well, curling into a ball as it spun rapidly. I blocked it with my sword as it pushed me back. The heat was pretty intense and my sword started heating up. I shoved it back and it landed nimbly on its feet.
“I don’t have time for you,” I stated and held my sword loosely at my side. Its flaming body tensed and it watched me warily.
It didn’t have a time to react.
Within the blink of an eye I was already past it. Kyoko gasped nearby and I didn’t need to turn around to know that the fox had been sliced into four clean pieces.
“I’d appreciate it if you got out of there,” I said to Inari, who now stood inside the cage with Irene.
“Hmm, what is this?” he muttered to himself completely ignoring me. He peered closely at Irene’s face to her discomfort as she tried backing up as far as she could.
“I won’t ask again,” I stated and cut through the cage, causing it to flicker out as my attack sliced into the ground. Irene quickly ran to my side and hid behind me as we both faced him.
“Very interesting, young man,” he seemed to praise, his eyes bright and full of curiosity. I clicked my tongue in irritation. What was his problem?
“Inari-sensei, that’s enough!” Kyoko cried, running in front of him with her arms spread out.
“Yes, it seems like this farce is over,” Inari said, a sly smile on his face as he turned towards the temple.
“Please come in. We have much to discuss.”
“Do you think I’ll just listen to you?” I said, but sheathed my sword anyway. It was pointless to continue fighting.
“I do,” he stated and disappeared through the doors.
Kyoko sighed and turned towards me with an apologetic look as she bowed deeply.
“I deeply apologize about my master’s actions. He is not open to strangers, but I did not expect him to behave this way. Especially that last attack…” she trailed off, saying this last part more to herself than me.
“After attacking me while I was carrying his student, I think he has a few loose screws,” I replied and followed her inside. Irene was basically glued to my side as we entered a large, open room and sat on the tatami mats. I couldn’t blame her. After all this time no one had ever directed an attack at her, much less seen her.
“You have an odd way of greeting people,” I commented, watching him closely.
He calmly but slowly placed his hands –now having normal sized nails –on his lap, looking completely at ease. However I could see he was on guard as he looked at me.
“I am Inari, the master of this temple as well as Kyoko’s guardian. I am an old fox demon, a kitsune to be exact, but I have never encountered beings like you,” he said, gesturing at me and Irene.
“Why did you attack Irene?”
“It is called Irene? I presume your companion is female then?” he asked.
“It?!” Irene screeched, momentarily forgetting her fear.
“I thought you knew that already, since you can see her,” I countered.
Inari shook his head.
“Allow me to explain from the beginning then. I once battled a demon who stole the souls of his opponents –a Shinigami or Grim Reaper as you humans call him. His body became that of a spirits, and that is the feeling I get from your friend. However the feeling of danger I get from your companion is much more intense than that demon,” he finished, narrowing his eyes at Irene. She gulped and quickly hid behind me.
“Is that why you attacked her?”
“Yes. At first I believed that demon had returned or something had attempted to sneak into my domain, however I cannot see, hear, or smell your companion. I cannot even tell if your companion possesses any magic, so I do not know what she is. A foe you cannot see or touch is something dreadful, you see.”
“I see…” So he couldn’t actually see Irene. It was only because of his honed sense of danger that he could sense her. If that was the case then his attacks probably wouldn’t work on her, but I didn’t want to try that out.
I could tell Inari was a high-class demon who knew how powerful he was. He was in a league far above Samael’s. But for such a demon to feel fear from Irene greater than a demon known as a Grim Reaper? I couldn’t really swallow that. Even if she could use Decomposition magic, she had limited control over it. Besides, she was Irene.
Ah, no, I shouldn’t be thinking like that. We might’ve been together for over a month, but I still didn’t know anything about her. She could still have another trick or two hidden away somewhere. Besides, if I knew that I was battling a foe like that, I’d be looking behind my back as well.
“Why did you stop?” I asked a bit troubled by his explanation. If that was the case shouldn’t he get rid of the potential threat? It didn’t make sense to invite us inside when he felt that degree of danger and fear.
“Even though I say that type of opponent must be feared, I cannot say that I felt true fear from that Shinigami–you might say it was unease. Since I have felt true fear from one demon and only one, I can tell the difference.”
“Stop talking in circles,” I sighed. He wasn’t making much sense.
He gave a wry smile, as if deciding I was a bit slow, before he explained.
“Simply put the feeling from your companion I get is greater danger than that of the Shinigami, but a similar fear as well. It is this fear that I allowed you to enter.”
“…You really need to get your head checked out,” I advised, giving him a weary look. What he said made absolutely no sense, but talking about it anymore is going to give me a headache.
“Sensei, I apologize for bringing a stranger –pardon me, strangers –to the temple,” Kyoko apologized with a low bow.
“There is no need to apologize,” Inari said, smiling kindly at the girl before turning towards me with a serious expression.
“Your scent tells me you are human, but your abilities are not that of a normal human.”
“Like I tell everyone I am human.”
“What has brought you to Kyoto?” he questioned, ignoring what I said before. This guy was pretty annoying.
“Eh, it’s troublesome to explain,” I complained with a bored look, waving his question away. I want to get away from this crazy fox and take a nap.
“We have all the time we need. No one in Kyoto will give you food and lodgings now, so your only option is to stay with us.”
“Why?” I asked, recalling the terrified faces of the citizens as they closed their door in my face. I vaguely remember Kyoko saying something about the Demon Lord’s wrath when we met.
“Did you by chance happen to see a little girl wearing only a kimono? She is a demon.”
Irene and I looked at each other and nodded.
“So?” we asked. We already knew that. Even I knew that without Irene’s help. I knew at least enough Japanese folklore to tell she was a Yuuki-onna. But a child was a child. If they wanted to play let them. I’m not one to talk about coexistence and all that, but I wasn’t going to start discriminating against a child because she’s a demon. It’s such a hassle trying to decide what to do base on whether a person was demon or human.
“Hmm, very interesting indeed,” he said with a smile.
“From what I have heard you attacked this demon who works under the Demon Lord in Kyoto. As such you are now regarded as the enemy of the Demon Lord and to be avoided.”
“Playing with a kid in the snow counts as an ‘attack’?”
“Although it is not an official law, the people have decided to never involve themselves with demons unless it is necessary. They do not want to associate themselves with those who do,” Kyoko said evenly but I could see the bitterness in her eyes.
“I guess we’ll be crashing here then,” I said with a yawn. I wasn’t able to get away from the crazy fox, but at least I didn’t have to hike around Kyoto to find a place.
“We will talk later,” Inari finished and told Kyoko to show us to our room.
I thanked her for the help once we reached our destination, but it didn’t seem like she was done just yet.
“I do not doubt Inari-sensei’s words, but… is there really someone else there?” she tentatively asked.
“Yup,” I said, jabbing a thumb behind me where Irene was as she gawked at the room.
“I also wanted to thank you for protecting me earlier,” she thanked and bowed gratefully.
“Uh, you’re welcome,” I said, not recalling anything like that. Ah, might as well go along with it.
“But Yoshida-san, those moves before. How are you so strong? Inari-sensei’s last move was quite powerful, but you defeated it easily,” she said, eyes full of curiosity.
“It might sound arrogant, but I was born like this.”
“Surely that cannot be,” she said doubtfully with a slight frown.
“Well I wasn’t adopted. My parents were regular people and earned enough to get by and then some. I wasn’t a test tube baby and they weren’t mad scientists who experimented on me either.”
“Were? I see…” she trailed off, deciding she shouldn’t push any further.
“Yeah, they died 10 years ago when the demons invaded,” I said with a shrug. I wasn’t being heartless. I didn’t want to remember how they died, but the unconditional love they gave me. Even the actions they took until their death I could forgive, because it had come from this unconditional love they had for a monstrous child like me. But saying I wasn’t being heartless might be my ego talking.
“… My parents died as well,” Kyoko said after a moment.
“The demons killed everyone at the temple. I was the only one who survived.”
“So that’s why it’s only you and that fox.”
“I should leave you to rest. Please make yourself comfortable,” Kyoko said and excused herself before leaving. I gave a long yawn that brought tears to my eyes as I shut the door. I expected to see Irene still gazing around the room in excitement still, but instead she ‘sat’ –more like barely hovered –on the bed.
I was about to ask her what’s wrong when she spoke.
“Is it true?” Irene asked quietly.
“Eavesdropping is bad you know,” I said and sat down beside her.
“Just answer me,” she said, surprisingly serious as she looked me in the eye. I couldn’t tell what was going on in her head.
“Yes, it’s true.”
She turned away and bowed her head. Her face was hidden behind her hair so I couldn’t read her expression, but her hands gripped her skirt tightly.
“…I’m sorry,” she whispered.
“Why? It’s not your fault. It was a long time ago,” I said in an attempt to cheer her up. Instead she just gave me a forced smile. I don’t know why she looked like that.
“What about your parents?” I asked, trying to change the subject.
“I don’t know,” she said, gazing at the wall.
“I was raised by my uncle, so I don’t know where they are –or if they’re alive. He used to show me a lot of pictures of my mother. He said she left me with him to keep me safe, and when she could she’d come back for me. I’m still waiting, but now I don’t mind if she doesn’t come now.” She finished this with a small smile, but I don’t know why.
“Why? Don’t you want to find out where she is?” I asked.
“Sure I do, but having a Hero save me is every girl’s dream, right?” she pointed out with a laugh.
“Besides, once I’m out we can go find her.”
“Wait, why is there a ‘we’ in this,” I cut in.
“Isn’t it obvious?” she said with an innocent look. “You can’t leave the damsel alone to get kidnapped again.”
“I’m not your bodyguard,” I sighed and lay down.
Irene just giggled as I closed my eye. Hah, I’m tired but this bed was pretty great.
“Hey, Jun?”
“Yeah?” I asked.
“That’s the first time I’ve seen you get worked up…” she trailed off.
“Oh, that? Sorry for yelling at you,” I apologized sincerely, cracking my eye open a bit to look at her.
“Ah, don’t worry about it. I was surprised, but I understand. What I mean to say is… thank you,” she finished with a blush.
“You’re welcome,” I yawned and closed my eyes.
“Good night,” Irene said softly.
“Good night,” I murmured and drifted off into dreamland.
My parents greeted me there, in front of the house the three of us used to live in with those smiles filled with unconditional love. I looked at them with my heterochromic eyes and smiled to myself. Maybe talking about them wasn’t so bad.
*~*~*~*
I was awake before Kyoko even knocked on the door. I would have slept longer if it wasn’t for Irene, who said that Inari wanted to see me. Why she even went to see him I had no clue. It was reckless, but since watching me sleep was probably boring –a pastime she had developed as we traveled together, I guess it was okay since she was fine.
“Inary-sensei would like to see you,” Kyoko’s muffled voice called from the other side of the door.
Sliding off the bed with a yawn, I followed her to the room we had been in before. Inari was kneeling on the tatami mat again, reading a scroll. The biggest difference was, however, that he now had a pair of snow white ears and a matching tail.
“Please, come in,” he said, setting it aside as he turned to us with a small smile, his fangs visible.
“Well don’t you seem comfortable,” I noted. It wasn’t exactly his real form, but letting me see part of it manifest meant he must’ve been comfortable with my presence. Either that or he was just lazy keeping up a perfect humanoid form. Hey, maybe I’ve found a comrade?
I sat down and waited for him to begin. His tail swished lazily behind him as he told Kyoko to join us. Fixing his intrigued eyes on me, he eventually began.
“I have heard from Kyoko that you are Jun, but what is the name of your companion?” Well wasn’t he being casual.
“Irene Goldsworthy.”
“A very nice name,” he commented and pulled a slip of paper from his sleeve. Wordlessly he handed it to me.
It looked like a 5 year old drew it. The only thing you could tell was that there was an evil looking thing with an eye patch and some hair. I could only guess the stick in its hand was a sword.
“You draw this?” I asked, raising an eyebrow as I looked up at him.
“Do you think I would call you here just for that?” he shot back.
“Some demons from Nagasaki have been going around distributing these, you see. They were saying something about this person being ‘dangerous’ and some other things. Unfortunately this is the extent of their artistic skills, but I am very intrigued. I have heard the Demon Lord Samael has been killed. Have you been to Nagasaki lately?”
I couldn’t help but laugh at his roundabout way of asking. Maybe he liked mind games, but I wasn’t too fond of them.
“Yeah, cause I’m the one who killed him,” I answered with a smile that didn’t reach my eyes. Kyoko inhaled sharply and reached for the naginata on the display behind her. Whoa, did she think I was going to attack them? Maybe she was more impulsive than I thought.
Inari extended his arm towards her, stopping her from drawing her weapon. Hesitantly she sat back down and watched me like a hawk. Jeez.
“It seems I was right,” Inari said, his smile broadening.
“Why did you do that?” Kyoko demanded. I don’t understand why she was so worked up.
“Kyoko,” Inari said warningly, apparently knowing the reason. She visibly settled down and remained silent.
“I apologize for her outburst, but I want to ask how you received that wound.” He pointed at my face and I was confused for a moment. Oh, wait. How could I forget there was an eye patch on my face?
“Inari-sensei,” she said with a face that said clearly not to pry.
“It’s okay. There’s actually nothing wrong with my eye,” I said and pulled the eye patch off. Her eyes widened in surprise as Inari’s face kept that tranquil smile.
“I see why you keep it covered,” he said in understanding.
“Yeah,” I said, not bothering to tell him that was only half the reason. To other people the other reason probably wouldn’t make any sense.
“So now you know I’m the one who killed Samael. What now?” I asked as I slipped my eye patch back on over my green eye. Kyoko shifted uneasily as I brought us back on track.
“Nothing. I am a neutral party here, you see. However, I would like to know why you are killing the Demon Lords. I cannot deny your skill, but you have been anything but cautious and active.”
I sighed and gave him the quick rundown of why I was killing the Demon Lords and eventually the Demon Kings. No sense in hiding it. If he doesn’t like it I’ll just kill him –though that’ll be a hassle.
Inari grew silent once I finished. His smile disappeared and for a moment his face darkened ominously.
“Master?” Kyoko called hesitantly.
“He looks pretty scary,” Irene whispered, huddling closer.
He suddenly blinked, as if snapping out of a trance and his smile returned once more –though it was off a bit.
“Pardon me. I was recalling something unpleasant.”
“I will go prepare dinner,” Kyoko excused herself abruptly and left before anyone could say anything to her. What was up with her?
“Why did you take her in?” I asked, a bit curious. From what I could see she was not a slave. They seemed to have a normal relationship, which wasn’t very common.
“Kyoko’s mother was a priestess of this shrine,” he began, patting his tail.
“Occasionally I would make trips to Japan to visit my shrines. It was on one of these trips that I met her mother. She was an interesting human. She did not fear me nor revere me, even after discovering I was a demon. The last time I saw her was a year before we demons invaded. Kyoko was but a child then, I believe 6 at the time. Her mother asked me to take care of her, which I promised to do. Alas, even though I did my best to reach this temple her mother had already perished.”
“That’s so sad,” Irene sniffed.
I yawned, earning a glare from Irene. Sad or not it wasn’t that uncommon. Kyoko was lucky she had someone looking out for her, and a demon that treated her fairly to boot.
“Why are you sitting here then? I can tell you’re stronger than Samael,” I stated without flattery. We both knew that they were on entirely different levels. If he wanted he could’ve easily killed Samael and become the new Demon Lord. I don’t know what the Demon King of Japan would’ve thought about that, but who knows.
“I have a favour to ask,” Inari said.
“I would like you to bring Kyoko with you to the Demon Lord. I’m sure you saw that display just now. Unfortunately that girl has grown naïve under my care. She hates the humans for treating her poorly, but she doesn’t realize that we demons are much worse in our own way. You could say she is on the demons side more than her fellow humans. It has gotten to the point where she dislikes others talking about killing demons. She believes demons have more good in them than humans, and we both know that cannot continue. As a demon I am to blame and cannot change that, but you are a human like her. Hopefully that will be enough to get through her stubbornness.”
I snorted to Irene’s surprise.
“I doubt you want me to bring her just for a life lesson. What’s your real reason?”
“It seems you are perceptive,” Inari chuckled to himself.
“You see there is another promise I must fulfill. It is time Kyoko chooses her own path rather than stay under my wing for the rest of her life.”
“What is this promise?” I questioned, not satisfied with just that. If he thought I’d willingly accept this hassle without a better explanation he had another thing coming.
“It is beneficial to you as well. There are quite a few demons that are suspicious of the Demon King of America’s actions as well. Apparently a key to immortality lies there, and now I see what that is. I had promised to help this person defeat this Demon King, though it may take time to prepare. A lot of research and preparation must be done, you see.”
“Ah, so assuming you’re not lying then we’re partners in a way.”
“Yes.”
“And because of my story you now have proof to move and don’t want Kyoko to be endangered, so you’re leaving her with me –someone who is stronger and capable of protecting her, correct?”
I wasn’t boasting. His bitter smile revealed that we both knew that I was stronger than him, though if we fought the battle won’t be as one sided as with Samael.
“You are correct; however she may prove to be useful to you. She is a Magician as well as someone I have trained. She can create barriers like I, but not to such a degree or complexity.”
That explained why the weather was normal in his domain. Not only was he able to keep out the other snow demons, but also the effects of their magic. I couldn’t even tell there had been a barrier in place. He had some serious skill to be able to pull that off.
“It’s up to her, not me,” I stated. Since my magic was based only on offense, having someone who could cover me would be handy. But if she was unwilling to join me than she would stay here. I wasn’t going to pick up any unnecessary baggage, even if they begged me.
*~*~*~*
Dinner was served after I spoke with Inari, and I ate until I was stuffed. When dinner ended Kyoko stopped me before I could return to my room. Inari had already retreated to wherever he usually spent his time.
“Would you like some tea?” she asked politely.
“I guess so,” I said with a shrug, sitting down.
She was silent as she prepared it. Irene looked at me with a look that said, ‘what did she want?’ but I could only shrug.
Giving me my cup she finally started talking.
“Inari-sensei has been my guardian for a long time,” she said with a serious expression. Oh great, not another recap on her life.
“Yeah, I heard it from Inari,” I said, taking a sip. Ah, that hit the spot.
“Do you think coexistence with humans and demons is possible?” she blurted in a rush.
“What brought this on?”
Kyoko was silent for a moment as she stared at her hands clasped on her lap.
“I watched you talk normally with Inari-sensei without fear or hatred. Earlier you had played with Haruka-chan as well.”
“Haruka-chan?”
“Yes,” she said with a nod. “Haruka-chan is a young yuuki-onna under the Demon Lord of Kyoto. A few months ago I met her and I would play with her often. However Inari forbid me from seeing her and I never saw her again.”
Ah, this was the reason for her bitterness. Not only was she raised by a demon, she had even interacted with a demon of her own free will. To the citizens it was like dooming them all.
“She is such a sweet child. There should be no reason we cannot get along.”
“I don’t know,” I said, recalling the scent I recognized all too well when I met Haruka.
“But not all demons are bad,” she argued.
“That applies to humans as well,” I countered, taking another sip of my tea. Since when did this turn into an argument? I hated arguments. They were a waste of time. Both parties believed they were right so nothing ever changed –not that I believed I was right or that there was such a thing as a right answer. But I think Inari might be right about her one sided bitterness to humans.
“I believe that humans and demons can coexist,” she stated with finality.
“Whatever you say,” I said, finishing my tea and left.
Irene floated behind me, oddly quiet.
“Do you think it’s possible?” she asked. I turned around and pretended to flicker her on the forehead, causing her to flinch back instinctively.
“Half-Breed children existed because it was possible,” I stated.
“What about now?” she asked, clearly not satisfied yet.
“We get along fine, don’t we?” I pointed out and headed back to the room.
“Yeah!” Irene exclaimed happily and flew after me, humming a happy tune.
Sakura-drops
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sakura-drops »

Chapter 4: Kyoto (Part 2)
Spoiler! :
Irene forced me to follow her around the temple the next day. I couldn’t refuse in case Inari tried something weird –which I doubted, but you never knew with that crazy fox –but how did she expect me to defeat the Demon Lord if I was spending all my energy now?
“Look!” Irene exclaimed, pointing at a fox statue like a little kid.
“Yeah, cool,” I yawned. Man I was tired.
She suddenly gasped and pointed behind me. I spun around to find Inari walking up to us, back to his perfect humanoid form. Maybe this was his ‘outdoor’ look and his half demonic form was like his pajamas.
“That girl is too stubborn,” he sighed.
“Did you talk to her?”
“Yes, and then she accused me of siding with you.”
I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck, feeling even more tired. What did I do to deserve this?
“I believe you know what that young yuuki-onna is,” he stated with a serious expression.
“Yeah, she can’t hide that smell.”
Inari suddenly started laughing to Irene’s surprise. When he finally calmed down his eyes were filled with curiosity, but his smile was clearly amused.
“By scent, did you? I must say you sound less and less like a human.”
I looked at him irritably, not wanting to repeat myself. I didn’t need to hear this from some crazy fox.
“There is something I must tell you, Jun, about yourself,” he stated, instantly putting me on guard. Without any further words he led us inside to his private study. Apparently Kyoko didn’t even venture over here, so we didn’t have to worry about her overhearing our conversation.
“So what is it?” I asked with feigned ease, sliding into a nearby chair.
“From what I have seen you are abnormal for a human, but still undeniably human. However the most confusing thing is your magic,” he began, taking a seat across from me.
“What do you mean by that?” I demanded. He didn’t have eyes like Irene, this I knew for sure, and I doubted he knew about my Armoury magic. It was something I tended not to use if I could.
“You must know that we demons are able to sense magic. In any body, object, or attack we know if magic is present or not. That is why I know your earlier attacks were a testament to your physical abilities.”
Yeah, I heard all this from Irene before. Even Samael knew I hadn’t been using magic for the first part of our battle. It made it easy to fool Magicians into thinking I had a different type of magic, but it tended to put demons on high alert –that’s if they live long enough once they see it.
“However, we demons are unable to analyze magic. I do not know what magic you possess, but I can tell between humans and demons based on the demonic aura contained within their magic. However with yours it gets complicated.”
“You’re not telling me you sense demonic aura,” I said in disbelief, my jaw dropping slightly.
“Not exactly, but something similar to it,” he clarified somewhat.
I groaned and closed my eye, leaning back heavily in my chair. This was not funny. Is he trying to say I’m not fully human? But that can’t be. Both my parents were human, and even if we didn’t share the same eye color, the DNA tests proved it.
“Hah, I don’t care anymore,” I sighed out loud. I can’t change the way I was built. Besides, my abnormality is the only reason I’m still alive.
Inari was silent as he studied my face. He too sat back and folded his hands in his lap.
“I did not want to make you doubt, but to inform you. It could work to your advantage in the future.”
“Are we done?” I curtly asked, not bothering to respond to his statement. I needed to do something first.
He slowly nodded and wordlessly watched me leave. I didn’t slam the door behind me, but Irene flinched as if I had. She silently followed me back to the room. When I turned to look at her it looked like she was bracing for judgement.
“Do you have to look like that?” I sighed, sitting heavily on my bed with my shoulders slightly hunched. The frustration and disbelief I had felt earlier disappeared instantly with just that look. I’m not really sure what I wanted to say. Did I want to accuse her, get mad at her? I don’t really know anymore.
Irene remained silent and stared at the floor, nervously playing with her skirt.
“Did you know?” I gently asked, breaking the silence. She quickly looked up, clearly surprised I wasn’t yelling at her, and held her hands helplessly to the side.
“A bit. I told you before, right? I can only analyze something if I consciously want to. It’s probably a self-defence mechanism my body made so my head won’t explode from an overload of information. I could feel something odd about your magic, but I promised that I wouldn’t analyze you. So since I couldn’t confirm it I didn’t see a point in bringing up something that might not exist,” she said in a clear voice, but her expression was hesitant.
“I guess I should be praising you for keeping your promise,” I relented with a small smile. Irene instantly brightened. She was so predictable.
“Well, I guess my next question is if you want to find out for sure,” I casually said.
Irene’s eyes widened, understanding that I was giving her permission to analyze my magic –something I had forbidden her from doing before. A moment later her eyes returned to normal and she shook her head.
“No, I believe that you know yourself the best. Besides, I think my brain couldn’t handle it,” she finished with a little laugh.
“Should I be offended?” I asked with a raised brow.
“Depends,” she laughed.
*~*~*~*
We spent a few more days at the temple where I spent most of the day sleeping, much to Kyoko’s amazement and Inari’s amusement. Irene was surprisingly fine with it and every time I woke I’d find her nearby with a smile on her face. It was creepy at first but now it was just our normal routine. As creepy as it sounded, it was actually nice. To find the same face there before you slept and when you woke was strangely comforting.
However my peaceful day was rudely interrupted when Kyoko wanted to talk that evening. Irene had reached her limit and ordered me to listen before disappearing. Sheesh.
“I understand why you are traveling to America, but is there no other way?” she asked, folding her hands neatly on her lap. Hah, this again.
“I’m not going around butchering every demon I see,” I stated, nibbling on a biscuit.
“I did not mean it like that…” she trailed off, a bit shaken at my choice of words.
“Is it impossible to talk?”
“Yes,” I said bluntly. I wasn’t going to sugar coat things.
“You’re being naïve. Do you really believe they’ll actually pay attention to what a human says? Regular, ordinary demons or oddballs like Inari maybe, but Demon Lords and Kings? Do you think Samael even cared about how his poison would affect the people? Do you think this Demon Lord cares about the humans in Kyoto? Do you think all those demons will just hand their items over willingly and their only clue to immortality because I asked them to?”
“But-“
“Have you actually met the Demon Lord?” I cut in. Her mouth clammed shut and she hung her head. Silence hung around us and Kyoko’s depressed attitude was oppressive.
“Do you believe there is good and evil?” I suddenly asked, having no hidden intentions. I just wanted to know where she stood.
“Of course,” she said immediately.
“I know that Inari-sensei and Haruka-chan are good people. I believe that everyone has good in them, but they are easily corrupted with fear and suspicion,” she stated with her head held high.
“You’re not off on that,” I said, nibbling on another biscuit.
“But I can tell your views are skewed in one direction. Your implying humans are easily corrupted.” She did not respond, but she steadily held my gaze. That was enough as a confirmation.
“It applies to demons as well, you know. They can be much crueler than any human.”
“You do not know how kind they can be,” she retorted.
“You’re right,” I admitted with a shrug to her surprise. I leaned against the wall, remembering a distant memory.
“I’ve only seen evil demons, but I’ve also only seen evil humans as well.”
“Then you know how cruel they can be,” Kyoko said, jumping at the chance to connect. That wasn’t going to happen.
She narrowed her eyes as I gave a hollow laugh.
“It doesn’t matter what I say. Until you see it for yourself you won’t budge. As someone who is hated by both humans and demons, I could care less.”
Kyoko had been glaring at me until I revealed that little bit about myself. Her eyes were wide, but she couldn’t comprehend. It was expected. No one could understand what I had been through, but I also couldn’t understand her. I was not normal so I couldn’t understand the normalcy of her life. No person –human or demon –could understand each other completely, no matter how hard they try.
“So as a neutral party you can say whatever you want. I can tell you can’t tell your hatred for humans to Inari, because you’re a human yourself. He’ll probably view it as you hating your humanity in a way, but since we’re both humans its fine. I can’t promise you I won’t fall asleep though.”
“…The things you say,” she murmured, casting her eyes aside. She stared out the window for a moment, sorting out her thoughts and emotions, but eventually started talking.
“When the demons came they killed my parents. I was happy Inari-sensei, who used to play with me, took me in. He was the one who saved me. However, everyone feared him. I was saddened by this, but I had to accept it. Demons had killed their loved ones as well, so of course they could not accept him. I understood that. It was not that bad at first. They still spoke to me, even if hesitantly, and offered to take me in. I did not mind. They were being kind in their own way. As years went by they were happy that I had taken over the shrine. Deep down they believed that the heavens would send a hero to save them if someone continued running the shrine, and the Demon Lord would not dare to fight with Inari-sensei. I did not stay in the temple all day and often went into the city to help around. Even in this chaotic world, I was happy. I do not hate demons because I love Inari-sensei like a father. I also do not hate humans because my parents were human, and they showered me with love.”
She paused and inhaled deeply before exhaling slowly, as if steadying herself.
“That all changed when I met Haruka-chan. I do not regret it. I could tell she was lonely and I felt for her. Everyone avoided her, even when she provoked them like she did to you. One day I saw her playing in the woods by herself. Hidden in the trees, I thought no one would see us. I played with her a few times until word spread that I had willingly interacted with a demon other than Inari, especially a demon under the Demon Lord. That was when I resented them.”
Her hands were balled into fists and she spoke faster.
“They did not see a lonely child, but a monster. They turned thier fear towards me, someone they had known for years, and accused me of being a demon sympathizer. They cursed me, spat at me, and ignored me. The children who I had watched over had their hearts corrupted as well. They treated me the same way as you when I went into the city. I could not deny their accusations nor did I want to, but it still hurt. They are being closed minded. Surely if there were more interaction between humans and demons we could compromise.”
Kyoko looked at me beseechingly, as if waiting for me to agree. I sighed and stood to her disappointment. I’m amazed I didn’t fall asleep.
“I heard that people have been going missing more often. Apparently they’re almost in the triple digits now,” I suddenly said.
“Yes, but that has always happened,” Kyoko said, clearly confused at this change in topic. Hah, if only she saw how odd that was. What she thought was ‘normal’ was clearly odd. She should realize that before it was too late.
“I think you should take a step back from your one track mind and take a look at the whole picture,” I advised as I turned around, heading towards the door.
“Yoshida-san?” she called, confused.
I paused in the doorway but didn’t turn around.
“For a moment put yourself in their position. Into the shoes of a parent trying to protect their child. Sacrificing everything to protect their child –that applies to both demons and humans.”
Before she could reply I shut the door between us, ending this discussion.
*~*~*~*
The next morning Kyoko found me under the kotatsu. She wore a somber expression on her face as she sat down beside me. It could’ve been a number of things really. Having me at the temple hadn’t been a ray of sunshine in her life.
“Yoshida-san,” she began.
“I would like to join you on your journey.”
“Why?” I asked. From her expression she didn’t look happy, not that I expected her to.
“Inari-sensei has taken good care of me since I was a child. I do not want to be a burden to him, when he has more important things to do.”
Ah, so he finally told her. But…
“Not good enough,” I said, catching her by surprise.
“Eh?”
“Just because you don’t want to be a burden to him isn’t good enough. With that kind of attitude you’ll just be a burden to me.”
“Ah, I see,” she said, her shoulders slumping. I wasn’t sure if it was depression or relief since she had a wide range of emotions on her face, which would take too much energy to try and decipher.
“Jun, you could be nicer you know,” Irene scolded.
“Listen,” I said to the both of them, gaining their attention.
“This isn’t a picnic. We’re risking our lives. If you lack the will to fight then you’re going to die. If you lack the resolve to kill you will die. Killing demons isn’t any different than killing humans. I won’t spout nonsense about justice, it’s up for you to decide anyway, but if you lack the will to crawl your way back from whatever hell you’ve witnessed, you will die. Faltering means death.”
They both looked at me, shocked speechless at my words.
“And that’s enough preaching from me,” I said, pointing at Kyoko.
“My goal is napping peacefully under the sun. That is my reason. You have to find your own, no matter how ridiculous it seems to others.”
“I… I understand,” Kyoko said, accepting the task I gave her.
“Well I guess I have to get moving,” I yawned and stood, shivering slightly at the temperature change. Ah, I really didn’t want to leave the kotatsu.
“Move? Where?” they both asked me in surprise.
“To the Demon Lord’s castle,” I said like it was obvious. Where else would I go?
“But-“ Kyoko argued.
“I know I gave you some homework, but sometimes just sitting around and thinking isn’t good enough. To see real combat and bloodshed is the only way to test your resolve. If you lack it you can continue looking after this temple. If you can find your reason in the heat of battle, you’re welcome to join me.”
*~*~*~*
Kyoko trembled slightly beside me, her naginata gripped tightly in her hands. I could only guess it was a combination of nerves and fear.
“That was some pretty deep stuff you were saying,” Irene commented.
“You’re free to leave any time as well,” I added.
Irene blew a raspberry at me and crossed her arms.
“Do you think I could leave you now? I finally get to see the outside world. Besides, I’d rather get to know the Hero that’s coming to save me. I’m the damsel after all.”
“You know a damsel doesn’t even watch or know of the Hero’s quest,” I pointed out.
“Yeah, but if I was a regular damsel you wouldn’t be on this journey, O lazy and self-proclaimed hero,” she giggled.
“Ha ha ha,” I said dryly, breathing in the frigid air.
“Are you sure you are not cold?” Kyoko asked, breathing on her hands that held the naginata to warm them up. Ah, so she was just cold. I’m not sure if she had nerves of steel or she was just clueless of the dangers. Either way it wasn’t my concern.
“Of course I am,” I said, shivering slightly. Thanks to that stupid fox I didn’t even have a cloak. He didn’t own any and obviously nothing Kyoko had would fit me. I still want some compensation though.
The closer we got to the castle the colder it was. Surprisingly there wasn’t much snow, but a lot of ice. Ah, this was annoying. I wonder how far I can get with just a normal sword.
“We’re going in,” I told Kyoko and started running towards the entrance.
I spotted two figures by the front entrance, but slowed down once I could see them clearly. They were both human, but encased in a large chunk of ice like statues. What was going on?”
“Are they dead?” Kyoko whispered.
“I don’t know,” I replied and continued forward. The frost covered door creaked loudly as I pushed them open. The temperature seemed to drop further once we stepped inside. Icicles had gathered on the tips of our lashes, but that wasn’t the only thing. Kyoto Castle had undergone a transformation. Icicles hung from the ceiling in jagged, spiked tips. The inside had been cleared out and filled with modern, frost covered furniture and a winding staircase made of ice. I think the most surprising was that no one was inside. What was with these Demon Lords and their empty castles?
“Do you know where the Demon Lord is?” I asked Irene.
She closed her eyes and concentrated. Her eyes flew open but she shook her head.
“I don’t know where the Demon Lord is, but I do feel a strong magical presence from above.”
My sigh created a large white cloud in the air as I gazed at the staircase. Up we go I guess.
“Do you have a plan?” Kyoko asked as we climbed.
“Yeah, kill the Demon Lord and warm up under a kotatsu.”
“Are you serious?”
“Absolutely.”
She sighed loudly, but didn’t ask any more questions. I wonder if she was reconsidering her option of joining me.
“Over there,” Irene said, pointing at the large double doors that towered us. I clicked my tongue in irritation as I stepped forward. The floor was covered in a layer of ice. It’d be hard to get a good footing.
I gave the doors a good, hard shove and they burst open. A wave of cold air temporarily blinded us as the temperature dropped even lower. Kyoko gasped in horror at what we saw. Both humans and demons were engaged in fighting –the demons clearly dominating with pleased faces –as they were frozen on the spot like a still picture. The blood had frozen and remained suspended in the air, glittering with a ruby light, and the horrified faces of the humans were forever captured. A few demons faced forward with horrified expressions, where an empty throne sat above a flight of stairs.
Where was the Demon Lord?
“This is horrible,” Kyoko said, her face deathly pale as she covered her mouth in horror.
“Really? I think it’s beautiful,” a child-like voice stated. The little yuuki-onna I had ‘attacked’ stepped out from behind the throne with a pleased smile on her face.
“Haruka-chan?” she whispered questioningly in disbelief.
“So you’ve finally shown yourself, eh, Demon Lord?” I said, grinning at her. Kyoko gasped and looked between us with a horrified look.
“It can’t be… It can’t be,” she chanted, shaking her head in denial.
“Oh? You knew already?” Haruka said with raised brows, ignoring Kyoko as she destroyed her hopes. Kyoko started trembling, which wasn’t due to the cold.
“What can I say? My nose is sharper than the average human. You can’t hide the scent of blood on you,” I said with a shrug, focusing all my attention on the Demon Lord than the condition of the girl beside me.
“Well this is no fun,” the little girl said. A blizzard surrounded her before fading away, revealing a young woman in her place.
“I was hoping you could entertain me more. I would have let you live longer if you at least acted surprised like your companion,” she said in a mature voice, pointing towards Kyoko with a blue tinged finger.
“Haruka-chan? It was you?” Kyoko asked in barely a whisper.
“I remember you Kyoko-chan. You used to play with me until Inari caught on,” she said happily before spitting Inari’s name distastefully.
“Why did you do this?” she asked, gesturing to the frozen statues.
“This? I was bored obviously,” Haruka stated, examining her nails.
“This… all because you were bored?” Kyoko echoed weakly, not wanting to believe it.
“Ah, it was so much fun playing with you Kyoko-chan. You were so cute talking about friendship and coexistence between humans and demons. You acted like you knew everything. Ah, your naivety was just too much for me to handle. I couldn’t help wanting to warp that unsoiled heart, but that stupid old fox caught on. I wanted to see your expression when I showed you true terror, but I guess your expression right now will do,” she giggled happily.
Kyoko sank to her knees, Haruka’s betrayal cutting her deeply.
“Irene,” I quietly called.
“Already on it,” she said, her eyes locked onto Haruka.
“She’s still a yuuki-onna, so her attacks are snow and ice. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you she can manipulate them to her will, but her powers only go so far as to create a weapon and large projectiles. Nothing like Inari’s foxes. You have to be careful of her blizzard attack. That’s what froze everyone in the room, but that requires a lot of magic.”
I clicked my tongue in irritation. How was I supposed to dodge a blizzard?
Irene suddenly gasped and called my name excitedly.
“I feel there’s a magical object on her. It’s a pretty strong one too!”
“Hey, Haruka!” I called, catching her attention.
“You wouldn’t have a powerful magical item around, do you?”
“Oh you mean this?” she giggled, pulling out a pendant from beneath her kimono. It was a large, flat gold dish with a blue stone in the center. Even I could feel that there was something odd about it, and I didn’t have magical perception abilities like Irene or Inari.
“The Demon King gave this to me,” she said happily.
“You wouldn’t mind giving that to me, would you?”
“Nope,” she said childishly and slipped it back into her kimono. Hah, I knew this wouldn’t be easy.
“Sorry, but I have to kill you then,” I stated, rushing forward.
“Wait! Yoshida-san!” Kyoko shouted but I continued moving without hesitation.
“Ah ha ha hah! You’re so much fun!” she laughed gleefully, creating large icicles in the air. I rolled forward, causing them to hit the statues behind me. Frozen body parts slid across the floor and I think I heard Kyoko scream in horror.
Haruka continued to laugh as she continued pelting me with icicles. Why did the floor have to be so slippery?!
“Stop it Haruka-chan!” Kyoko cried, watching her destroy the frozen people before her.
“Why? They were fun at first but then it got boring. They made a nice scene, but I’m tired of them,” Haruka said with a pout, aiming her next attack at her. Kyoko just stared at the attack in shock. Stupid girl!
I tackled her out of the way and we skid across the floor, slamming into a statue that toppled over and shattered.
“Ah ha ha ha ha hah! You broke one!” Haruka laughed gleefully.
“What have you done?” Kyoko gasped, horrified as she looked at the shattered figure around us.
“I saved your life,” I stated.
“There should have been another way, he could have been saved!”
I sighed and flicked her on the forehead. It echoed loudly in the room like a gunshot and Kyoko cried out in agony, rolling on the floor as she clutched her head. She looked up at me with tear filled eyes as I looked down at her coldly.
“I told you before: those who lack resolve die. If I didn’t save you, you would’ve died. Even if hypothetically they were still alive, they’re beyond saving. It’s impossible to melt a yuuki-onna’s ice with regular fire –even magical fire if it isn’t strong enough. Even if we defeated her and they did melt, the sudden change in temperature would kill them anyway. Have you ever dropped an ice cube in boiling water? It cracks.”
“But-“
“Get it together! This is what life and death mean,” I snapped, standing.
“Your ideals might not be wrong, but you lack the resolve and power to fulfill them. Every living thing has one thing in common: the will to fight to survive. That is one, undeniable thing that both humans and demons have.”
“Oh, that was quite a nice speech,” Haruka giggled, clapping as she did so.
“I think it’s about time I killed you,” I stated, brandishing my sword. All I wanted to do was sleep under the kotatsu. Even Irene couldn’t complain with that.
“Let’s dance!” she laughed, creating twice as many icicles. I dashed between the statues and slid across the floor, using my momentum to propel me as I cut down the icicles. I stopped before the staircase and leapt at her, striking at her head. She quickly lifted her arms, blocking my strike with a naginata made of ice and shoved me back.
I flipped in the air and landed on my feet, sliding backwards because of the ice covered floor. Ah, so annoying.
Haruka laughed gleefully as she created a large boulder made of ice. She hurled the huge thing at me and I barely sliced it in half. Hah, this cold blade wasn’t going to be much use.
She appeared before me, having leapt after the boulder, and our weapons clashed. The fragments of the boulder floated, threatening to crush me, but I overpowered her. In a flash I sheathed my sword and broke one with a kick, crumbling it into tiny ice fragments. The other I grabbed with my hands, ignoring the icy burn as I tossed it back at her.
Extending a hand out she stopped it just as it was about to reach her and smirked. It fell to the ground and shattered.
“You’re pretty strong for a human.”
Haruka leapt at me and aimed a downwards strike at my head. I rolled to the side and the blade imbedded itself into the ground.
“So nimble,” she hummed, yanking it out. She snapped her fingers and more icicles appeared above me.
I clicked my tongue in irritation and leapt away. She anticipated this and jumped in my direction. I only had enough time to narrowly block her attack.
“Behind you!” Irene shouted. I looked over my shoulder to see a dozen icicles form behind me. Ah, this wasn’t good.
Something slammed into them, shattering them, and I used the opportunity to kick Haruka away.
“Kya!” she screamed, skidding backwards.
I spun around and found Kyoko behind me, her hand extended at the remains of the icicles as her barrier disappeared after slamming into them. I guess that’s one way to use it.
“I’ll fight as well,” she said, her hesitation gone. Good.
“Just try to keep up,” I said and sheathed my katana. If I wanted this over quick I couldn’t do this half-heartedly.
“What, give up? Or are you so sure of yourself just because it’s two against one?” Haruka said snidely, readying herself.
“Honestly my fingers are cold and you’re annoying. I’d rather be sleeping under the kotatsu at the temple than in this winter palace,” I said, extending my arm out to the side slightly.
“Shut up and die!” Haruka shouted with a crazed smile, extending her hands towards us. Cold air swirled around her as snow and ice gathered around her. I could feel the blizzard coming.
She sent it flying at us. Kyoko set up a barrier around us, but it quickly engulfed us.
“Ha ha ha!” She gave a victorious laugh when an excruciatingly bright and hot light engulfed the room, making the girls flinch away. The statues melted into puddles instantly and the frost dripped to the floor.
The light condensed into the blazing red katana in my hand, but the temperature in the room had risen considerably. She couldn’t make another blizzard now.
“The Blazing Sun. Legend says that the soul of a sun god rests within the blade. I’m not really sure if I need to explain any further, but nothing can cool its flames. One blow and the enemy will be reduced to ashes,” Irene said, her eyes scanning my weapon.
Haruka flinched as I aimed Blazing Sun at her, shivering even though it was no longer cold.
“M-Monster,” she cried, clenching her weapon tightly.
“One strike will end this,” I declared and charged.
She screamed, creating a hundred projectiles in a panic and hurled them towards me. They all shattered once they hit Kyoko’s barrier, paving a way for me.
“No, stay away!” Haruka screamed, desperately slashing at me. I lightly tapped her weapon with my own and it evaporated instantly. Her terrified scream echoed in the room as I pierced her heart. Flames erupted from my blade, engulfing her as she melted. It only took a moment for her to disappear –not even a puddle remained. Only the pendant that had been around her neck was left, slightly burned around the edges.
“You did it,” Kyoko said as she caught up, but she wasn’t happy. She looked at the pendant sadly and picked it up. She silently handed it over to me, avoiding my eyes. I could see the tortured, haunted look in her eyes but could do nothing. Only she could deal with it. But instead of worrying about that, I had a magical item I had to deal with.
“Well, here goes,” I said and tossed it in the air, easily cutting it in half with Blazing Sun. The light in the stone faded before being engulfed in flames, disappearing in flickering embers.
Irene suddenly gasped and shouted happily.
“We did it! It worked! The seal has weakened!”
She started dancing on the spot, pumping her fists into the air before skipping around me happily.
“Finally,” I sighed. If this one wasn’t it I’d be pretty cranky.
“So this was the item you were searching for?” Kyoko asked.
“Yes. Thanks for your help,” I said, sending Blazing Sun away. The temperature cooled again, but to a more tolerable level.
“Let us head back,” Kyoko said, her spirits low. I didn’t expect her to be happy, since I basically killed her friend –or someone she thought had once been her friend.
“Okay,” I said, wanting to just sleep under the kotatsu right away. It was up to her to come up with her own answer.
*~*~*~*
A few days passed after that battle and I was still lying under the kotatsu. The main reason was that Kyoko was out of it for those past few days. I couldn’t blame her and I wasn’t in any hurry. It was the only reason why Irene wasn’t nagging me to move. She felt sorry for the girl and didn’t want to leave with such a sad image embedded in her mind. Besides, Inari wanted us to stay a bit longer for Kyoko’s sake at least. It goes without saying that she hadn’t given me an answer yet.
I was lying under the kotatsu that evening, happily dozing away when the door slid open. I looked up to find Kyoko standing there, looking a bit frantic with a bag in hand.
“Inari-sensei is gone,” she said, out of breath. It was the first thing she’d said besides polite excuses.
“Mm, really?” I mumbled sleepily, snuggling deeper under the covers.
“Yes,” she said and shoved a piece of paper in my face.
With I yawn I took it from her and read what was on it.
Dear Jun and Irene,
I have left to fulfill my other promise. I leave Kyoko in your hands. I must warn you though. Word of your accomplishments has spread quickly already. Do try and keep a low profile and not put Kyoko in unnecessary danger, though I have little hopes of that. I hope to see your companion in person the next time we meet. I believe you will enjoy your next destination, but do not get too comfortable.
Please look after Kyoko, show her the world and become friends. I hope to see you all soon.
Inari

“Ah, so he left,” I yawned and noticed a piece of paper clenched in Kyoko’s hands. No sense in prying.
“Wait, Jun,” Irene called, stopping me from placing my letter on the table. She pointed at the bottom of the page which my hand was covering, where the corner of some words could be seen. With another yawn I moved my hand aside.
Do try and keep your hands off Kyoko, though I have little hopes for that.
“What the hell?” I unintentionally said out loud, gaping at that sentence.
Irene gasped in shock, her face red as she looked at me. I knew what she was going to say.
“Don’t say it,” I warned, pointing my finger at her for emphasis.
“But I didn’t know you were a per-“
“Irene,” I growled warningly. “Even as a joke I won’t accept that.”
“Yes,” Irene said obediently, her face still flushed as she bowed her head in apology.
“Yoshida-san, I would like to speak with you,” Kyoko said, completely ignoring our odd behavior. Or my odd behavior since she couldn’t see Irene.
“Why do you make it sound like I’m in trouble?” I sighed and rolled over so I was facing her. Might as well stay comfortable since this seemed like it’ll take a while.
Kyoko kneeled in front of me and clenched her hands in her lap.
“I apologize for acting so distant. Truthfully I dislike you for killing Haruka-chan, but I hate myself for being so easily deceived. Still, I do believe that there was some good in her. That joyful smile I saw when I played with her could not be faked.”
“Kyoko,” Irene said sadly.
“I now know what you mean by my being naïve. I admit I was, but I it is not something I regret. It just proves that I was loved,” she stated, looking at me with strong willed eyes.
“When I think about all those people that were kidnapped to entertain Haruka-chan –no, the Demon Lord, I cannot help but feel disgusted. I am also disgusted in myself, who had purposefully turned a blind eye.”
“Enough with the self-hate,” I said, jabbing a finger at her.
“It’s not only annoying, but you don’t have the luxury to do that now.”
“Eh? Ah, you’re right. I apologize,” she said, bowing her head apologetically.
“When I think back to my childhood, the people had been very kind. Even now some of them had tried to reach out to me, warn me, but I had unconsciously pushed them away, believing they would betray me. Even though they were afraid, they tried to from the goodness of their hearts.
I do not have an answer of what my reason should be, but I do know what I believe in,” she stated, exhaling slowly.
“Today has shown me that humans and demons are not that different. Although we may fundamentally be different, we all feel the same thing. I know that humans and demons can coexist, but with this social difference that is impossible. Even though what you are doing is a much more important task, I believe that it will bring about a change. For now I want to journey with you and help pave a way for us to understand each other.”
“Eh, good enough for now,” I yawned, waving my hand dismissively.
“If you’ve thought it long and hard that’s good enough. Finding a reason is harder than it sounds. It took me quite a few years to find out mine, you know, so take your time.”
Kyoko’s face brightened as she slumped in relief. Was I really that scary?
“Thank you very much,” Kyoko said and from her sitting positon bowed so low her forehead touched the ground.
“Enough with the formalities,” I said, closing my eyes. “From now on you can call me Jun. No more ‘Yoshida-san’ and all that. We’ll be travelling together from now on and hearing that just makes me tired.”
“I understand,” she lightly laughed, straightening.
“What’s in the bag?” Irene asked, pointing beside Kyoko.
“It was addressed to you,” Kyoko replied once I asked her, handing it over to me.
I took the bag wearily, wonder what could be inside. There seemed to be a big lump of black cloth inside. I couldn’t suppress my grin as I pulled it out. That crazy fox had gotten me a new cloak. He’s not so bad after all.
*~*~*~*
We stood at the entrance, giving Kyoko some time alone. Today was the day we would leave. The ground was still partially destroyed –from me, but no one asked me to fix it so I didn’t mind –but Kyoko gazed at it, trying to commit everything to memory.
She only had a backpack and her naginata was wrapped in a cloth that disguised its shape. Her gray cloak fluttered sadly in the breeze. I turned away, knowing how hard it was to say goodbye, and didn’t want to intrude on her goodbyes.
On Kyoko’s insistence we went to deliver the news of the Demon Lord’s death and her departure to the people. Most of the demons had fled now that their master was dead. Slowly, what we had once known as ‘normalcy’ was slowly returning to Kyoto as well as its normal weather.
Everyone had been overjoyed and continued to thank me. It was pretty tiring really. Do Heroes have to go through this all the time? I expected it, but I didn’t know it was so tiring. Surprisingly, when I tried to get the people to fix up the parts I had destroyed at the temple, Kyoko had refused. Well this is where she would come back to. No one could go against her wish for everything to remain the same.
We hadn’t told anyone when we would leave, keeping things low profile and less tiring.
“I’m ready,” Kyoko announced, walking towards us.
“I am too!” Irene piped up.
“Well, let’s go then,” I said, hiking my backpack higher.
Together we descended the steps, not turning back once.

Return to “Creative works”