OLN: Shiro No Shinigami

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Quin Kusanagi
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: OLN: Shiro No Shinigami

Post by Quin Kusanagi »

Chapter 8
Spoiler! :
Chapter 8

“Long story short, you’ve failed.”

“Eh?”

Hearing those words come out from the mouth of a butler, Adell, Quin could only answer with his mouth agape. The other three, Aoshi, Rose and Alice, were also inside the room and hearing those words also stunned them.

They are currently in the infirmary and, as one would expect from <Sora>, this room is filled with all the high class herbs and materials that would only normally be found in a rich kingdom’s apothecary workshop.

Even the bed was comfortable enough to make the patients feel as if they are sleeping amongst the clouds.

However, this time, Quin could not afford to feel sleepy at all.

“U-um, did I hear you wrongly?”

“No you did not.”

Adell answered flatly, rejecting his hopes.

“You have failed the test and, thus, is not able to become a member of <Sora>. I hope that is clear for you to understand.”

“W-Wait a second!”

Rose quickly interjected once the butler finished his explanation.

“Hm? I understand that it is hard to face rejection but I assume that all of you came here knowing that there is a high chance of failure?”

“W-we know that! But why is he the only one that failed?!”

“Because he has failed the test. Why else?”

As Rose had just stated, she, Aoshi and Alice had all passed the test and gained admittance to the guild. They were told of this when Quin was still unconscious in the infirmary.

“Did the <Shinigami> herself say so?”

This time, Aoshi stepped in.

“… Yes, she did.”

Adell squinted his eyes and glared at Aoshi before he answered. It was clear to see that he was lying so Aoshi decided to go on the offensive.

“Well, if she did, then you wouldn’t mind letting us hear it from her mouth directly right?”

Adell sighed when he noticed Aoshi’s intention. He knew that Aoshi was once a noble, so it wouldn’t be wrong to say that he has experience in negotiations. However, if he thought that he could win against <Sora>’s secretary, then he is surely naïve.

Changing his face into a deadly glare that would make anyone shudder once they look at it, Adell answered.

“Know your place. What right do you have to summon the <Shinigami>, our strongest member? If all of you aren’t happy with the results, then shall I revoke your status as members of the guild?”

“W-wha..!”

Even though Aoshi tried to fight back, he could not because of the intimidation he felt from Adell’s tone and face. He could also feel his sister trembling behind him as she held on to his clothes. In the end, he could only back down from this argument.

“Now that this is settled…” Adell said, going back to his usual tone and expression. “Quin Fortis. In accordance to the rules, you shall not be allowed to take the test for another 3 months. We shall not accept any excuses nor exceptions. If there are no other questions, then you are all dismissed.”

Quin could not even hear those words as he wallowed in his own failure.
Quin Kusanagi
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Quin Kusanagi »

Chapter 8
Spoiler! :
Chapter 8

“Long story short, you’ve failed.”

“Eh?”

Hearing those words come out from the mouth of a butler, Adell, Quin could only answer with his mouth agape. The other three, Aoshi, Rose and Alice, were also inside the room and hearing those words also stunned them.

They are currently in the infirmary and, as one would expect from <Sora>, this room is filled with all the high class herbs and materials that would only normally be found in a rich kingdom’s apothecary workshop.

Even the bed was comfortable enough to make the patients feel as if they are sleeping amongst the clouds.

However, this time, Quin could not afford to feel sleepy at all.

“U-um, did I hear you wrongly?”

“No you did not.”

Adell answered flatly, rejecting his hopes.

“You have failed the test and, thus, is not able to become a member of <Sora>. I hope that is clear for you to understand.”

“W-Wait a second!”

Rose quickly interjected once the butler finished his explanation.

“Hm? I understand that it is hard to face rejection but I assume that all of you came here knowing that there is a high chance of failure?”

“W-we know that! But why is he the only one that failed?!”

“Because he has failed the test. Why else?”

As Rose had just stated, she, Aoshi and Alice had all passed the test and gained admittance to the guild. They were told of this when Quin was still unconscious in the infirmary.

“Did the <Shinigami> herself say so?”

This time, Aoshi stepped in.

“… Yes, she did.”

Adell squinted his eyes and glared at Aoshi before he answered. It was clear to see that he was lying so Aoshi decided to go on the offensive.

“Well, if she did, then you wouldn’t mind letting us hear it from her mouth directly right?”

Adell sighed when he noticed Aoshi’s intention. He knew that Aoshi was once a noble, so it wouldn’t be wrong to say that he has experience in negotiations. However, if he thought that he could win against <Sora>’s secretary, then he is surely naïve.

Changing his face into a deadly glare that would make anyone shudder once they look at it, Adell answered.

“Know your place. What right do you have to summon the <Shinigami>, our strongest member? If all of you aren’t happy with the results, then shall I revoke your status as members of the guild?”

“W-wha..!”

Even though Aoshi tried to fight back, he could not because of the intimidation he felt from Adell’s tone and face. He could also feel his sister trembling behind him as she held on to his clothes. In the end, he could only back down from this argument.

“Now that this is settled…” Adell said, going back to his usual tone and expression. “Quin Fortis. In accordance to the rules, you shall not be allowed to take the test for another 3 months. We shall not accept any excuses nor exceptions. If there are no other questions, then you are all dismissed.”

Quin could not even hear those words as he wallowed in his own failure.
Quin Kusanagi
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Quin Kusanagi »

Sorry about not updating. I was blacklisted for some reason. Anyway, to the Chinese, Happy Chinese New Year!

Chapter 9
Spoiler! :
Chapter 9

A few hours later, a group of four people stood outside the gates of <Sora>. They were the four friends who entered <Sora> with the intention of joining the guild together.

But reality was cruel as the orange haired boy, Quin, had failed it and was not able to become a member of the guild.

Of course, his friends tried to fight for his sake but the decision made was absolute and irreversible. In the end, he was forced to leave the guild house.

One of his friends, Rose, wanted to follow him, even to the point of throwing away her title as a member of the guild, but Quin could not allow it.

The three of them had passed the test by themselves and became members of the guild that way. It would not be fair if he were to get them to quit because only he had failed the test.

“But didn’t we come here specifically to get your memories back?”

Rose had asked this question in an attempt to reason her way to follow him. But Quin did not want to hear of it.

“Then you guys can help me search from inside the guild. I’ll just search for my memories elsewhere.”

He had retorted.

“B-but…”

Not wanting to give up, Rose still tried to find a reason to follow up but to no avail. Depressed about it, her shoulders drooped down.

“Quin.”

This time, Aoshi called out to him.

“I still have some things I have to do in this guild so I can’t miss this chance. But… take care of yourself.”

“…”

For Aoshi to show this much concern, it was something that caught him by surprise. Quin stared in chock for a few seconds before he nodded.

“Yeah, I will. Thanks”

Leaving it like that, Quin turned around and began to set off.

“U-Umm!”

A voice sounded out. Turning around to find the source of the voice, Quin saw Alice in front of him, desperately holding back her tears and tugging at his sleeve.

“Alice!”

Aoshi quickly shouted. It seems like he did not even realise when Alice separated from his back and arrived to where she is now. He had wanted to approach her in an attempt to drag her away from Quin but Rose held out her hand, stopping him from doing so.

Aoshi threw a questioning gaze towards her but she simply shook her head without saying anything to him.

On the other hand, Quin looked silently at Alice. He knew that she wanted to say something to him so he kept quiet, prompting her to do so.

“…”

A few minutes passed and neither party spoke. Aoshi started to look impatient but with Rose there, he could not do anything. After a few more minutes, Alice started speaking.

“Will… Will you come back?”

The teary-eyed Alice asked.

“Of course.”

And Quin had answered so. Whether or not he could pass the test the next time he came to <Sora>, he did not know. But, at the very least, it was his intention to come back and do the test.

Understanding this, Alice slowly let go of his sleeve. Quin nodded, smiling as he patted her head. Embarrassed, Alice hung her head down.

“Then…” Alice started speaking once more before while Quin was still patting her head. “We’ll wait for you.”

Saying those words, Alice raised her head and smiled the brightest smile she could muster.
Chapter 10
Spoiler! :
Chapter 10

“What do I do now…”

An orange haired boy said as he sighed. He was currently walking aimlessly in the marketplace of the town Zyste.

The boy is called Quin by his friends and he was dressed simply in terms of clothing fit for a warrior and had a golden sword hung down on his waist.

Quin sighed again and continued walking listlessly. Right after his separating from his friends, he immediately felt lost. He had devoted his entire attention into what he would do when he got into the guild that he had forgotten the possibility of him not even entering it.

He also could not afford to go back, since he had promised his friends that he would get stronger and come back in three months’ time to retake to the test. Another reason was also he did not want to always depend on his friends.

“Now that I think about it, this place is really big.”

In an attempt to distract himself from his current crisis, Quin started looking around.

As said before, he was in the marketplace and since Zyste is a popular destination for travellers due to its rich history, there were a lot of shops that offered services and products that suited the needs of travellers.

Armoury shops, magic shops, potion shops, clothing shop, inns, bookshops, restaurants.

Any and all types of shops were spotted all around the marketplace. There was even a plaza in the centre of it where traders from various countries are given an opportunity to showcase their products.

There were even bards and clowns scattered over the entire plaza, making a living through entertaining those who came to see them.

To top it off, a fountain was placed in the middle of the plaza and decorated to the extent which showed how prosperous a city Zyste was.

Buying a hot dog bun with what miniscule amount of money he had, Quin spotted a vacant chair near the fountain and took a seat.

“…”

Looking around, he could see that this town was a very peaceful one. Perhaps this was because of the presence of the large and well-respected guild, <Sora>.

Thinking that, naturally his thoughts went back to what had happened before and during the test.

When he had heard first heard of who the <Shinigami> is from Rose after the incident that had happened to the village he was living in, he was excited and curious as to know why the strongest member of such a large guild had chosen him to participate in a test and become their member.

More so than this and the fact that there were more chances to recover his memories if he were to join a guild, he was happy that he was allowed a chance to get stronger in order to repay the three friends that had given an amnesiac like him a place to belong to.

And now, all of that became nothing more than a mere pipe dream.

“… Haaa…”

Sighing, Quin finished his last bite on the piece of hot dog he had saved for last. But before he could stand up, he heard a voice calling his name from behind him.

“Quin? Why are you here?”

A voice that sounded innocent and clear, as if a transcendent being was talking to him. But Quin knew the owner of this voice, though he was rejecting that thought.
As far as he knew, that person was not a person who would leave the premise of the guild without any special reason but he could not deny what he heard either.
Turning his head, he saw the person who he had expected to see.

The <Shinigami>, Eve.
Chapter 11
Spoiler! :
Chapter 11

“Y-you?!”

Raising his voice due to the unexpected visitor, Quin instinctively backed away from her.

However, in exchange, Eve walked towards him with swift steps and covered his mouth with her right hand, their bodies sticking together in the process. And since she was shorter than him, she was currently tip-toeing. In addition to that, at some point, his hands had been moved to cover her back.

“My title is not something that should be revealed carelessly.”

Bringing her mouth next to Quin’s right ear, she whispered to him softly. This made Quin shiver unconsciously as the voice held such a sweet and charming tone.

“Have you calmed down?”

Once again, she whispered softly to his ears. Quin felt another sweet sensation being sent down his spine but he quickly nodded his head.

This is going to get more dangerous if she keeps doing that…!!

Keeping his thoughts to himself, Quin quickly averted his eyes from Eve but he quickly took notice of something.

Around them were people who were whispering amongst themselves while pointing towards the two of them.

“H-hey!”

Unable to stand it any longer, he quickly pushed Eve away from him and even though he thought he would be faced with resistance, it was surprisingly easy for him to push her away.

“…?”

Tilting her head slightly to the left, Eve’s face looked as if she was wondering why she was pushed away. This action caused his heart to start pounding rapidly, making him flustered.

“In any case, it seems no one heard your voice. That is a relief.”

Not seeming to notice Quin’s predicament, she said as such. But Quin thought that he saw her looking disappointed for a moment.

But it may have just been his imagination.

Anyway, much like when they first met, Eve was wearing a cloak that covered her entirely, including her silver hair. This was done most likely to prevent anyone from identifying her as the <Shinigami> and since this city is a famous spot for adventurers and researchers, it was not weird for her to dress up as such, giving her the freedom of movement.

She was also holding a paper bag filled with miscellaneous items using both hands.

“W-Why are you here?!”

Adding on to the previous incident, Quin still could not forget how she took him out with only a single blow and he stuttered due to the nervousness he was experiencing.

“…? I wish to ask the same.”

She stared at Quin quietly as she said that.

I was thinking of what to do since I failed the test.

Those were the words that he had originally wanted to say but what came out was only-

“E-er, I-“

“?”

Eve was not able to understand the reason of his stuttering and peered at his face, wanting to understand. But Quin, embarrassed since he knew his face was red, could only look down so as to prevent her from doing so.

“Shall we take a seat first?”

Without asking anymore questions, Eve motioned with her head the seat which he sat on earlier and started walking towards it.

Not having any other choice, Quin followed suit.

“…”

“…”

After both of them took their seats, Eve began staring intently at Quin to the extent that she did not even blink once and due to her expressionless face, he could only feel that she was examining him.

“Um… Eve….sama?”

“It’s Eve.”

As if practiced beforehand, Eve had immediately answered him once he called her. The answer was so immediate that Quin needed a few moments before he could take it in.

“You do not need to be polite. You can just call me Eve.”

“O-okay.”

Once again, both of them fell into silence, with Eve still staring at him.

“H-hey,” unable to take the silence and her stares, Quin quickly tried to strike up a topic. “Why are you able to come out of the guild?”

“What do you mean?”

Again, her answer was so quick that Quin wasn’t able to register it into his mind immediately.

“Um… I was told that you were someone who doesn’t leave the guild…”

Choosing his words carefully, Quin spoke in a meek manner. He was afraid of saying anything that might anger the other party since he had already experienced her strength first-hand.

But Eve did not have any reaction. She just continued staring at his face without even the slightest of movement.

…Ah. She finally opened her mouth.

“Rumours should not be believed so easily.”

And once again, she closed her mouth and resumed her staring, causing the silence to reappear.

“May I know what do you mean by that…?”

Not even close to understanding what she even meant, Quin tried asking again. But this time, the answer was immediate.

“A jewel will only lose its lustre when it is not polished frequently.”

In this case, he could understand that the jewel meant herself. Though it may sound arrogant, but one of her many nicknames was the ‘Jewel’ of <Sora>, as mentioned by Rose when he asked about an explanation of the <Shinigami>.

As for the ‘polished frequently’…. Perhaps something like ‘experience’ and such?

“Then… How about the ‘No one who has ever seen the <Shinigami> would live to tell the tale part’?”

Remembering the warning that was given to him previously, Quin lowered his voice slightly to prevent anyone near them to hear it.

This time, there was a reaction from her. He could see Eve sigh slightly before she answered his question. Of course, she was still looking at him in the eye when she began answering.

“Due to the efforts of a certain guild master, false rumours have been spreading everywhere. In other words, all the rumours about me contain little to no truth in them.”
In a matter-of-fact tone, she answered his question. Following that, she finally initiated a question.

“May I ask a question?”

“… Please do.”

The polite tone of Eve’s was rather unnerving for Quin.

“Then I shall. Why are you not in the guild?”

“…? Because I failed your test and was told that I could no longer stay inside the guild.”

“What do you mean?”

Thinking it weird why she was asking that question since she was the one who gave him a fail, Quin began describing about what Adell had said back in the guild.

“So I decided to try and grow stronger via another method but since I’m not sure about what to do now, I was wandering around the marketplace.”

Finishing it with that, Quin peered at Eve’s face. He was still scared that he might have said something to anger her.

But he did not see any change in her expression. She was still as expressionless as always and staring at his face as usual. Quin wanted to breathe a sigh a relief but he noticed something.

Bloodlust.

An abnormal amount of bloodlust was coming out of the girl beside him. The amount was so huge that everyone around them were frozen on the spot, not daring to move a single inch.

Adventurers, merchants, locals, monsters, animals. All of them stiffened once they felt the bloodlust. The fear that they would die if they were to even move a single inch was embedded into them.

Being right beside her, Quin felt the full blunt of that bloodlust. He was shivering unconsciously and he couldn’t feel any parts of his body. His first thought was to run but his whole body became like stone, refusing to move from his current spot. He also felt nauseous because of the thickness of that bloodlust.

Speak… I have to say something!

Instinctively, he knew the only way to get out of this was to say something. He did not have anything to base this on but it seems he could only trust on this for now.

“S-Speaking of which, this is a g-g-g-good chance for me to go on a j-journey!!!”

Speaking as loudly as possible to dispel the fear in his heart even if only by a little bit, Quin quickly said.

“E-e-even if I’m n-not part of the g-g-guild, I can still get s-s-stronger!”

Stuttering in any sense possible, Quin could only pray that this work out. If not, he may have some sort of ‘accident’ happen to him…

“Journey…?”

Before long, Eve asked. In addition, the bloodlust seemed to have subsided to an acceptable amount. Although it was still there, it was nowhere near the level of the previous one.

Regaining the sense of their bodies, the people around them slowly moved away from the area, not making a single sound. The fear they felt today would surely be etched into their minds until the day they draw their last breath.

Surely, if they were to stay here any longer, city guards would come to check out the situation. Thinking about it, Quin wanted to get away from here as fast as possible since it was a very bad way of starting a journey.

“Y-yeah! That’s why I have to go now!”

After checking that he had everything, Quin quickly turned around and intended to run away from this place with all his might.

“Please wait.”

But before he could start, Eve held onto the side of his shirt. Quin looked at her, wondering what she wanted.

“…”

Silence came between them. Quin knew that he did not have the time for this and wanted to shake her off but the fear he felt before prevented him from doing so.

However, he did not want to be captured and questioned by the guards. This would only cause problems and he might even have to trouble his friends even before his journey started. It was something he wanted to avoid after that tearful separation.

Resolving himself, Quin started to take action but was stopped short by the words Eve said.

“Please, allow me to accompany you.”
Quin Kusanagi
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Quin Kusanagi »

I just noticed that there were multiple posts of the same thing. I didn't know that had happened and I don't know why since I only posted every post once. For that, I apologise.
Here are the rest of the chapters I had done.

Chapter 12
Spoiler! :
Chapter 12

-Guild side-
-Adell-

“…”

Turning the door knob, Adell slowly entered the room. Inside it was the bare necessities needed for a person to survive.

Bookshelf, bed, table, chair and a wardrobe.

It was a simple room and everything was placed neatly. The bed in the left corner of the room, the wardrobe being on the right and the table and chair placed near the window.

He slowly approached the chair and took a seat.

As a secretary, overseeing this guild’s matters is his responsibility. If anything were to happen that involve <Sora>’s guild members, he has to be present in the scene.

Because of this, he had to go to the marketplace because it was reported that someone from <Sora> had created some trouble.

However, due to the lack of eyewitnesses, he was unable to identify who the true culprit was. The only thing anybody took notice of was only the symbol of <Sora>.

As such, he had to question every single person in the guild but none of them confessed. To add on, all of them also had an alibi so he could not condemn anyone.

Even though there was a possibility, Adell did not think there was anybody posing <Sora>’s guild member because the magic to create the guild’s symbol was used by a high-levelled mage, though her personality does not really suit her status.

Anyway, since the guild members in <Sora> are generally tamed, it may have been some sort of mistake. That was why he was not so worried about this matter. It was not something that he would easily get tired of because there were worse cases in the past.

What he is worried about, however, was the things that happened a few days prior.

His younger sister, the much idolised <Shinigami>, had finally found the person she was looking for and had been overly excited about it. This went to the extent where she actually broke and bent a few rules in order to stay by his side.

As a brother, Adell knew how long she had waited and wanted to turn a blind eye to help her. However, as a secretary, there was no way he could do that. If he had allowed it, he wouldn’t be able to maintain the disciplinary order within the guild which was built up after so many years.

Thus, he had to issue a punishment.

The details of the punishment are as followed:
1) She is not to make any contact with anybody outside of this guild.
2) She is to not leave the premise of Zyste unless ordered by the Secretary or the Guild Master.
3) This punishment will only be removed after 3 months

Of course, these conditions were done so in secret. If anybody were to know the strongest member of their guild broke some rules and is now being punished, it would not bode well for <Sora>.

Then again, if one were to think deeply into the details, this punishment was not something that was made to discipline her.

If anything, it was made to separate her from him.

The reason? Because he was too weak.

Adell did not know why he became weak, but it was reality. To be knocked out from a single shot by his younger sister, even though she held back.

When Adell heard of this, more than surprised, he felt immense disappointment. For he was the boy who Adell thought he could leave his younger sister to.

If he was this weak now, then how could he acknowledge the boy’s existence next to his younger sister?

If he can’t even take on his younger sister’s attacks, then is there any point in having him here in the first place?

Such is the reason why Adell kicked him out. He was enraged at the fact that this boy was just too weak.

Even though he knew of the boy’s loss of both his memories and his magic.

Of course, he had acknowledge him in the past but if that was because of his lost magic, then does that not mean all this time, he had been dependable on it?

Even if he were to get his lost magic back, in the event that it disappears once again, what would happen to him then? The weak him that could do nothing if his magic was to disappear.

Thus, the only way was to separate them both. Adell had always heard tales of how people who was once together get torn apart and stayed that way. As such, making use of the punishment, he had forced his younger sister to stay while sending away the boy.

But due to guild regulations, the limit was only three months. For his younger sister, it was short compared to how long she had waited for the boy, thus, she may… Will go out to search for the boy. However, in these three months, the boy may have joined another guild or perhaps become ‘attached’.

If it comes to that, then his younger sister may have to give up, for the boy’s happiness was her first priority. If he was happy, then there was nothing she could do.

It may be an evil plan which will hurt his younger sister deeply, but Adell believes that time heals all wounds. It would be best to forget about a man who could not even protect his partner.

“..Hm?”

Just at that moment, Adell heard the sound of wings flapping. He turned towards the windows.

There, perched on the window that faced the city was a grey coloured magical bird. It was flapping its wings wildly, evidently trying to get Adell’s attention.

“Dusk…? What are you doing here?”

This grey coloured bird is a pet that belonged to his younger sister. However, it was once a pet loyal to another master. His younger sister only had him when the said master disappeared.

Magical birds like Dusk was rare in this era but nobody really questioned why <Sora> has it, owing to its fame and strong members. This was why it could fly freely in the town of Zyste without people making a fuss out of it.

However, a magical bird is not only a name for show. Like humans, magical birds are born to their own personality and magical ability, unlike ordinary birds or animals.

Another thing to note was that every magical bird was born with an ability to choose their own masters, sharing with them their magical ability. It was also said that magical birds could converse with the people whom they had taken a liking to.

But Dusk did not take a liking to him, thus, he was not able to prove such a thing. Then again, he would always see his younger sister talking to Dusk so it must be true.

Approaching the grey coloured bird, he noticed that something was tied to its left leg.

“A letter?”

All of a sudden, Adell sensed a bad premonition. Now that he thought about it, Dusk would never approach him out of its own free will. Whenever it came to him, it was only ever about delivering letters.

Quickly untying the letter on its left leg, Adell unfolded the letter and read its contents.

“… Shit!”

Saying something normally out of character for him, Adell quickly rushed out of the door, not even bothering about banging onto the other members.

What was written on the letter was:

We are eloping. Thank you for everything.

-Mia Filii Autem Luna
Chapter 13
Spoiler! :
Chapter 13

-Adventurer side-
-Quin-

The <Shinigami>. An existence that could bring fear and respect amongst humans, monsters, demons, beasts, elves… well, you get the idea.

In any case, to think that <Shinigami> would come asking me if she could join my journey. Should I feel lucky or should I feel scared? I don’t even know anymore…

Thinking about it, bringing the <Shinigami> along would bring troubles in more ways than one. As such, I tried to stop the <Shinigami>.

How did it go? Here’s how our conversation went.

<Q> (Quin): What about the guild?
<S> (Shinigami): They can take care of themselves.
<Q>: But if you go missing, won’t the guild try to search for you?
<S>: I’ve sent a letter in advance. There is no need to worry.
<Q>: Would they really not search for you with just a letter?
<S>: If they do, then we just have to evade them.
<Q>: You make it sound so easy…
<S>: Is it not?
<Q>: Eh… Then what about when we enter town? Won’t people notice you?
<S>: I do not see a problem with that.
<Q>: I heard from Rose that people can put up search requests to the Adventurers’ Tavern though?
<S>: Then I just have to hide.
<Q>: Then won’t they notice your guild symbol? You can’t hide it since it’s made of magic, right?
<S>: I can.
<Q>: Eh?! How?!
<S>: Since there are a number of requests which requires us to hide our identity, there is a certain magic that can be used to hide the guild’s symbol.
<Q>: Then… er… um…
<S>: I promise not to cause you any trouble so please, take me with you on your journey.
<Q>: But you…
<S>: Is it not possible…?

With that, I lost.

Hey, don’t blame me. Who the hell can resist upturned eyes from someone as cute as her? Even the power of her attacks are on a whole different level.

At any rate, she has forcibly joined me in my journey and we had just put the trading town of Zyste behind us. Not a second later after my failed persuasion did she pull me out of the town and hired a coach for us.

It was not a grandiose coach but one with a roof. It costed a pretty penny but the <Shinigami> fully paid for it and quickly ushered me in.

It seems that she was in a hurry. I guess she really was trying to evade <Sora>…

Anyway, all circumstances aside, we are now sitting, facing towards one another in the coach. The <Shinigami>, Eve, still has the cloak donned to prevent anyone from noticing her and her two bags containing items were placed on her side.

“…”

“…”

Silence filled the coach. Even though I wanted to dispel it, I didn’t want to risk getting hit again. My body may have healed, but the mental pain I felt then was still affecting me. Fainting after being hit once was really something I want to avoid.

Ah! An idea popped into my head. She shouldn’t hit me since asking this should be harmless.

“U-um… Now that I think about it, we haven’t introduce ourselves, right? Even though we both know the other’s name, how about doing a proper introduction now? My name’s Quin Fortis, adopted son of the Fortis family. How about……”

All of a sudden, I felt a shiver down my spine. The atmosphere of the coach felt cold and one could even see the driver shiver.

Did I say something wrong…?

Wondering that to myself, I tried to open my mouth but it wouldn’t move. The atmosphere prevented me from doing so.

“…”

“…”

Time passed as both of us kept our mouths shut, albeit for different reasons. I had intended to get down and apologise straight away but my body wouldn’t react to how I want it to.

Even without saying anything, the <Shinigami> still can exert so much pressure… I shudder once I thought of how lenient she was against me during the test.

“… I am…”

At the sound of these words, the atmosphere dispelled. Never have I ever felt how lucky I am now. Even the driver was breathing a huge sigh of relief.

“I am…” Continuing from where she left off, the <Shinigami> said. It seems that she was hesitating as to whether to say it or not.

“I am… Mia Filii Autem Luna, daughter of the Luna family, wife of Quin Fils du Soleil. Namely… you.”

…Eh?
Chapter 14
Spoiler! :
Chapter 14

-Adventurer Side-
-Mia-

Saying such a bold statement and looking at Quin’s expression, Eve, or Mia, inwardly started to feel fear.

Of course, she had thought about whether she should reveal her identity or just allow things to take its course. Mia had wanted to quickly let Quin regain his memory, but at the same time, she feared that Quin would start to treat her strangely, or even avoid her. Even though she knew that Quin would not react like that, she was still afraid.

The Quin she knew was a kind, sociable, strong, active and dependable person. He was not someone who would scorn another just because that person said nonsense. In fact, he would hear that person out and try to reach an understanding.

But this current Quin was not the Quin she knew. He may not react as to how she expect he would and having such a thought made her scared.

In the end, compromising on both of her desires, she decided to tell Quin everything if he were to ask. She would not lie, especially in front of the person she loves.

Yet, when that time came, she was still afraid of what may happen. Seeing the shocked state of Quin, she could only start to imagine the worst case scenarios.

What if he thinks that I’m weird?

What if he thinks I’m just a lunatic?

What if he thinks I’m delusional?

Many questions started popping out in her mind and she unintentionally broke off eye contact with Quinn and stared at the ground.

Thinking back, ever since I met Quin…

Searching through her memories, ever since she had met Quin, she had only been cold towards him.

When she had first met him in the village, she was surprised that he had prostrated to her and begged for a discipleship. She was so surprised that she accidentally used her original cold tone of voice to answer him, though she had later become depressed when she returned to <Sora> because of that.

Then when she saw the pink-haired girl and Quin getting along so well in the guild’s lobby, she had accidentally let her jealousy get the better of her and slapped him. After that, she had wanted to apologise when they were walking down the hallway but could not find the right time to do so.

Then there was also during the test. Although she was happy that they were finally alone that she just went to hug him when they met, she had also one-sidedly blown him off.

There was also the point where she persistently wanted to join Quin in his journey once she heard of it. Taking this into account, she could be called a pushy woman.

These experiences, once she thought of it, made her lose her confidence even more. She could not remember a time where, after he came back, she was kind to him and helped him.

Maybe she should have earned more of his trust before saying the truth, was what she thought as she deeply regretted revealing their identity.

Who would listen to someone who kept giving them trouble?

She inwardly scorned herself. Yet…

*Pompf*

When she realised that someone was gently rubbing her head, she could only look up in surprise.

-Adventurer Side-
-Quin-

After saying her introductions, the <Shinigami>, Mia, had hung her head down. One could easily see that she was depressed, perhaps over-thinking on how I would react once I heard those words.

Obviously speaking, those words were a surprise. I mean, if I was suddenly declared as the wife of a girl, much less the <Shinigami>, then of course I would be speechless.
The <Shinigami> was a revered warrior by every adventurers and mercenaries. She was also a figure that was respected and feared by everyone.

A figure like that was, in actuality, just a small girl. I had forgotten about this fact because I was one-sidedly blown away during the test but before being a warrior, a <Shinigami> and the strongest guild member of <Sora>, she was a girl and this girl was currently hanging her head down in distress.

Why?

I questioned myself as I looked at her. I knew that she had no reason to lie, so what she just said was unmistakably the truth. Since it is the truth, then she was really my lover.

Thinking back, after hearing how she refused to accept disciples but, yet, decided to accept my request, I had thought about how lucky I was without even thinking about the reason.

Then when she hugged me all of a sudden during the test and called out to me affectionately. Those things would make even more sense if she had introduced herself as my lover.

But, as I am, I could not fully believe her words. As a person with no memories, I could only think “What the hell is she saying?”

Refuting those words would mean those things she did made no sense whatsoever. Yet, accepting her words would just feel like I am lying to her.

The person she knew, was not the person standing before her now. But even after knowing that, she still chose to confess.

Even though she was the <Shinigami>, it must have taken a lot of courage to confess, knowing full well that I may think badly of her.

So, in response to that courage, I placed my hand on her head and started to gently rub it. Reacting to it, the <Shinigami> slowly lifted her head to face me.

As expected, even though her face was still expressionless, her eyes held unease. This made her feel like a scared kitten, I couldn’t help but think.

“I’m sorry.”

Once I said those words, she shivered and one could see tears starting to gather at the side of her eyes. Seeing it let me confirm once again that what she said was not a lie. But to think she would be affected this much, just how important was I to her?

“I am not the person you knew, that Quin Fils Du something guy. I am Quin Fortis, the adopted son of the Fortis family,” I continued, looking at her straight in the eye. I knew those words were going to hurt her but I had to make sure she gets my message.

Even though it was unbecoming of her, she made her feelings clear to me, at the expense of my scorn. So I had to return the favour.

“I have a debt to repay to the people who accepted me. That’s why… Until I regain my memories, I am Quin Fortis.”

I finished saying what I wanted and looked at her in her eyes. Within her crimson eyes which was half close to crying, laid a faint hope after she recognised my words.

“Then…”

She started speaking, the confidence returning to her eyes once more. She knew that she still had hope. She knew that she still have a chance to regain the person who she had always sought after.

“Then I will accompany you. I will follow you, not as the <Shinigami>, not as Mia Filii Autem Luna and not as Eve… but as Mia, the girl who fell in love with the boy named Quin.”

Light returned to her eyes as she announced a bold statement. It was quite embarrassing to hear such a thing but I was happy to know that she was back to her old self.

“Then let’s get along from here on out, Mia.”

With that, we approached our next destination.

Return to “Creative works”