OLN: Daybreak on Hyperion

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Himeko Inaba
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: OLN: Daybreak on Hyperion

Post by Himeko Inaba »

If I had a surprise sex change, I'd freak out then. If a man turns into a woman and starts menstruating, he'll probably think..."That actually works? It's the genuine article?"
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

Unfortunately not everything come with prescription labels: your reaction may vary, depending on a multitude of factors.

All I can say is that certain sections took a lot of research on intergender knowledge and opinion gathering to write XD
Daybreak Project
"You crazy b@stard! I'm gonna treat you like shit until you reveal your true form!!!"
"NO WAY. Over my dead, resurrected and killed again body." -- Kadi, when given a proposal about leaving [Miko-moe] 'as is' in TL.
BitterSugar
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BitterSugar »

Aorii wrote:] opinion gathering to write XD
LOL, did you go up to people asking "How would you react if your gender changed suddenly?"
Want something edited? Feel free to private message me and I'll see what I can do.

Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

No, but I did ask my friends with the topic of "I'm writing a genderbender novel"... oh, and reading a lot of LGBT web material.

The conversations weren't nearly as dramatic xP
Daybreak Project
"You crazy b@stard! I'm gonna treat you like shit until you reveal your true form!!!"
"NO WAY. Over my dead, resurrected and killed again body." -- Kadi, when given a proposal about leaving [Miko-moe] 'as is' in TL.
Himeko Inaba
Mikuru's Master

Post by Himeko Inaba »

Soul transplants are the sort of thing you can't get an expert opinion on, so don't sweat it.
ldvtho
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ldvtho »

Soul transplants are the sort of thing you can't get an expert opinion on, so don't sweat it.
LOL. And I was just about to ask about the methodology, sample size and sample composition.
Last edited by ldvtho on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
caparo
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by caparo »

ldvtho wrote:
LOL. And I was just about to ask about her methodology, sample size and sample composition.
:wink: Imagine if this sort of question was asked in a proper survey. Imagine the reaction on people's faces. :wink:
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

@Idvtho : Not quite as varied or diverse as I would like. But in addition to the usual, I know people with Gender Identity Disorder whose seriously researched the implications of changing gender, and one of my beta-readers is a Ph.D. in psychology/education specializing in youth development. That count? ^^

@Caparo : As you walk down the aisle, someone hands you a survey, beginning with: "Assume your gender is suddenly reversed, what would you..."
(o_O )
Daybreak Project
Himeko Inaba
Mikuru's Master

Post by Himeko Inaba »

I still think you're in uncharted territory here. Not often does a regular man decide to take on the role of a woman, and never once because his body had a genuine sex change with all the physical and mental differences. Kaede doesn't strike me as someone who could make such a decision for any other reason. This idea of -deciding- which role you take, instead of accepting what feelings you were born with, might sound distasteful to modern gender theorists, but it has been as natural to me as it is to Kaede. To answer your question more seriously, my reaction to the sudden sex change would depend on my stats - strength, attractiveness, etc - but I would probably accept my new gender and enjoy it provided the new body was a good one. In short, I'd rather 'match.' If I can retain my old memories it's cool.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Hmm... I think as long as they don't feel like they got the short end of the stick, many people would learn to deal with it, in time. However, when you're suddenly going from good-looking to ugly or from fit to fat without compensation, I think there will be some grudging for quite some time. Or if a lover is involved. Or extreme chauvinism. Come to think of it, aren't there movies that deal with chauvinists soul-swapping into a woman's body? I know those are more comedic, but there might be an idea or two to be found...

And gender theorists, huh... the matter of "deciding what gender to be" should only be discussed once it's really a free decision. As amazing as our technology has become, you still lose too much with nothing to gain for it by going through sex change operations. Unless you're mentally of the other sex already and suffer in your current body, you're WAY better off remaining what you are. Unless that is changed, the decision isn't free. And once perfect sex changes are possible... well, then I think everyone who can afford it and has been briefed on what's ahead of him/her should be free to go through with it, gender theorists and religious nuts be damned. Well, gender theorists may still research gender psychology/psychological development and maybe help substantiate that "briefing", but I have the feeling many of those current "gender theorists" wouldn't leave it at that...
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Aorii
Project Translator

Post by Aorii »

It's gathering information on facts and views, not decision making in any way. No one can make one's decision except for oneself. Especially since the entire modern argument on gender and sexuality revolves around individuality. Furthermore, no decision will hold firm unless it's nailed down by both preference and circumstance -- all opinions and views are variable to change with the passing of time.

This is part of why I state it's entirely too early to say male or female. Bodies differ. Lifestyles differ. Societies differ. Kaede hasn't spent nearly long enough time to make an informed decision. ^^"

@Kadi
Actually, people always feel like they got the short end of the stick unless they see obvious advantages. Hence why the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

One of the most interesting gender discussions I've had resulted in the conclusion: "When too much testosterone gather, people get idiotic. When too much estrogen gather, people get bitchy." People merely idealizes what they don't know as well.

<sarcasm>Sinner! You dare trend upon the realm of god!?</sarcasm>
=P
Daybreak Project
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

YES I DO! I'M A GENIUS!

*coughcough*

Anyway. If too much testosterone makes you stupid and too much estrogen makes you bitchy... the middle way is the way to go? Both-ways functional hermaphrodite? ... I never thought the Japanese were on to something with that fetish of theirs.

And no, I don't think I got the short end of the stick. Being a girl has so many bothersome aspects to it... I'd have to be real cute for me to not Mikuru (lol) about suddenly waking up perfectly girl. ...Kaede-cute.... <3
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Himeko Inaba
Mikuru's Master

Post by Himeko Inaba »

People merely idealizes what they don't know as well.
The implication here is that people expect members of the other gender to exemplify their associated ideals more than members of their own?

Dunno, man.

[E] At least for the past few decades, social pressure to be more manly or more womanly comes from members of the same sex and not the opposite. Big example: Guys, especially in America and Western Europe, would like women to be more feminine, but they also just want women. If almost all the women become less attractive or less feminine for some reason - an obesity epidemic, for example - it's not like they're going to be celibate. Normaldude's less likely to find his dream girl, but he'll settle. Most of the remaining social pressure comes from other women, but even these have to put in less effort to be the more attractive choice to the majority of dudes when the overall trend, for both sexes, is towards androgyny. The effect strengthens with each generation.

In Japan, the herbivore men have created a contrary effect. When more women than men want to marry, competition among females intensifies while the carnivore men relax.

That's for cultures where women can support themselves. In an actual patriarchy it's different. Look at the beards on Saudi Arabian dudes - no one dares tell them to shave.
Aorii
Project Translator

Update

Post by Aorii »

Volume 2 chapter 8 finally posted...
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... _Chapter_8
That chapter took a long time to edit. Also maps, because this fight is complicated.
So tired of writing combat. Done with that for a while. R&R (aka Slice of Life with politics) time XD

@Kadi: I don't even... =P

@Himeko: Well yes, cultural/social expectations is what defines both gender roles and expectations. Trends like Japan's "herbivore men" certainly do shift the paradigm as we know it -- which is interesting since Japanese culture is still very conservative and thus the female partner is still considered the lesser of the family structure.

I often wonder what the marriage culture in Soviet Union after WWII was like. Since (1) communism believes very strongly in gender equality for its time but (2) the gender ratio was massively skewed (more than any other modern period) due to the heavy losses in men during the war.
Daybreak Project
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

I thought the classic Japanese family had the husband holding the reigns outside their own four walls and the wife holding the reigns within...?
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』

Return to “Creative works”