OLN: the walking morgue.

Project of creative fiction that can be related to light novels or of an original nature.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

mania_
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

OLN: the walking morgue.

Post by mania_ »

Heya~!

I hope this is OK to post here...! haha.
I've been lurking for a while, but figured I should finally join and get involved in the light novel community a bit. (。・ω・。);;;
I'd like to both share my OLN and read other (hopefully active) ones, so please feel free to ask me to read yours.

"the walking morgue." is a horror/mystery comedy light novel with the occasional fanservice and pointless amounts of blood. All the writing and illustrations are done by me, so my updates tend to be slow... orz ;; I have a prologue and 4 chapters so far, right before the first actual subplot of the story begins.

Plot summary
Unheard-of by “normal folks,” Rivlainge is the only city on Earth connected to the Netherworld. In this city of maniacs, fighting zombies is a proper profession and being a killer earns you fans.

Lady Aurora, the Netherworld’s princess, moves to Rivlainge to expand her territory and become the world’s greatest villain. But instead of a castle and an army of minions, all she gets are an old wooden cabin and a useless butler.

Even though they're a duo now, one question remains. How does one actually become a villain...?

--

Prologue
Spoiler! :
Rivlainge, the city of death.

Its population never exceeds or falls behind 666,666. For every additional resident, someone else leaves this world indefinitely.

Or is it the other way around?

Or both?

I wonder.

Amidst the uncivilized masses of criminals and rotting Netherworld escapees, I live in an old wooden cabin on top of the city’s largest hill.

Day in, day out, all I ever do is sit on my squeaky office chair and wait for the day I can finally rest in peace.

When was the last time I left this cabin?

When was the last time I spoke to people?

Even though I have never personally met this generation of Rivlainge, I know a good percentage of the population.

…And they know who I am.

I guess you could say I am the city’s patron saint.

And I guess you could also say I am that one guy who continuously ranks number one on the Rivlainge network’s monthly top “ugly”, “creepy” and “useless” lists.

But I digress.

Where all crime is legal and everyone is a madman, people see no reason in fearing death, much less respecting him. That’s fine; really, it is.

I don’t go around carrying a scythe and knocking on people’s doors to take them to the Netherworld. Rather, my brain stores information on all the deaths that have occurred – and will occur – in Rivlainge.

Frankly, I’m a complete laughing stock by the standards of Immortals.

Even so, sometimes I find myself caring about the city far more than I would like to. Somewhere between the hunting of zombies and the countless games of life and death, it is an oddly social place.

After all, we’re locked in here. There is no way to contact the outside world, and they cannot contact us either.

The only way out for mortals is the Netherworld.

I don’t know how Rivlainge came to be in the first place. I don’t know why the people here are rewarded with an eternal afterlife.

I don’t even know how people can consider it a reward.

Well, none of that matters to me.

Until the day it all falls apart, I will be here, waiting.
...for illustrations and the remaining chapters, please visit the website~ ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/
(Another reminder that there is some fanservice, though maybe not as bad as some ecchi shows these days??)

This project means the world to me, so I would be super duper happy to receive some feedback!
Thank you for taking the time to check it out, and do remember to give me some other OLNs to read~~
virgo327
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka!

Re: OLN: the walking morgue.

Post by virgo327 »

NIce prologue. Can you comment about mines? thank you :D
virgo327
Literature Club Member

Post by virgo327 »

a suggestion... for me I think it's better if you post the parts one by one here rather than going to another website because there's a chance that either they'll complain of slow internet that they'll open another tab; or they can close this tab,preventing to comment about your LN
P.S. just saying only, not forcing ya ;)
Thanks
bakabaka
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by bakabaka »

I agree with the post above.
The prologue is quite interesting. I will read your chapters if you post them on B-T ;)
mania_
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by mania_ »

Thanks, you two! ^o^/ The reason I only posted the link so far is because the forum rules say not to make any image-heavy posts, whereas my chapters/parts after the prologue usually include 4+ illustrations, haha. I'll just post both from now on; the formatting on the website is definitely nicer to look at, but otherwise it shouldn't make that much of a difference. :)

Err, warning for mild fanservice and swearing? Let me know if it's not OK to post after all. :oops:

Chapter 1, Part 1 (Original)

>>
Spoiler! :
1-1: Welcome to the City of Death, Milady.

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 0_orig.png

Yawning, I tap the speech bubble on my phone’s home screen.

What could it be this time…

Perhaps a wonderful piece of advice along the lines of “You’re probably going to get killed today. Be careful!”

I wish.

For the most part, my customized mascot gave up on giving me advice ages ago. Though it does still occasionally tell me to “go to sleep, loser.”

In other words, not even an artificial intelligence that is designed to be disturbingly sweet and helpful likes me.

I might be a much bigger mess than I originally thought.

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 158743.png
Merlot Deadman invited you to the Annual Rivlainge Halloween Festival and said:
You don’t even have to dress up!
You’re perfectly scary as is! ;D

A much, much, much bigger mess.

Sighing, I put my phone away and lean back. Today will be like any other day. The only way I can tolerate my life. Rotting away a little more. Alone. By myself. In complete silence.

Wham.

When I look up from the desk, I find the front door opened wide, and a blonde girl standing in the door frame.

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 4_orig.png

Before I know it, a group of men dressed in dark blue uniforms carry a truckload of dark suitcases inside.

Utterly confused, all I can do is stare at the girl with my arms raised questioningly.

…That girl isn’t human. We’re of the same kind.

She returns the stare, still remaining in her theatrical posture. As I watch her blood-red eyes twitch, she bares her teeth.

After one last suitcase is added to the pile, the remaining unexpected visitors leave just as fast as they got here, closing the door behind them.

Awkward silence ensues.

Just as I am about to get up and say something, the girl begins yelling.

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 9_orig.png

Startled, I instinctively hide below the desk and hopelessly wait for the situation to calm down.

“What the, what the, what the hell!?”

The second I foolishly decide to look up at her, she leans over the desk’s surface and grabs me by my tie.

“Where’s the castle!?”

“Wha--”

“Where the hell’s my castle!?”

“Eh--”

“What do you mean, there’s no castle!?”

Letting go of me, she pushes me onto the chair and walks back and forth, holding her head with both hands.

“Ahh, this is no place for someone as great as me!”

Blinking repeatedly, I adjust my necktie and eventually get up, carefully following her movements. Every time she turns around to walk the other way, I flinch.

After Lord knows how long it’s been since my last actual conversation, I’m having trouble coming up with something to say.

Frankly, I should know who she is. The relationship of us Immortals is perhaps comparable to what humans call their ‘family.’

But I… stopped caring too long ago.

“Um…”

“What!?”

She stops to glare at me.

It’s now or never. Say something engaging. Something polite. Something worthy of an Immortal.

“Get out of my house.”

Oh, for the love of--

As the girl’s expression darkens even more, she walks towards me, forcing me into a corner. Gulping, I try to avoid her death glare, but it’s no use.

With one hand on her hip, she holds up her cell phone in front of me. Without a doubt, it’s the same kind that all residents of Rivlainge own.

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 1_orig.png

“In case you forgot, the name’s Lady Aurora de Rondeau. I’m the one giving orders here, you ignorant peasant.”

As Lady Aurora grabs my tie again and pulls me closer towards her threatening face, she begins to whisper.

“Even an unworthy little shit like you should know how to treat a princess.”

…A princess. A castle. It’s starting to make sense.

“I-I’m sorry.”

I hang my head and look at her sheepishly. Lady Aurora avoids my glance and steps back, folding her arms.

“Whatever.”

After offering her to take a seat with only a gesture, I lean against the desk and scratch the back of my neck.

“Rondeau, huh. So you belong to the Netherworld’s royal family.”

Crossing her legs, Lady Aurora raises an eyebrow.

“Is it that surprising?”

“It’s rather that… I didn’t expect to see any of you ever again.”

“Yeah, I’ve been told to stay away from you, but y’know. Why would I listen to what Dad says anyway.”

‘Dad?’ She honestly considers herself the head’s daughter? And what’s with that rebellious teenager attitude?

Why in the world is she this humanoid?

“May I… ask you something?”

“Go ahead.”

“How old are you?”

Seeming a little confused, Lady Aurora tilts her head.

“I’m seventeen.”

“No, not physically. How old are you, approximately?”

“I’m literally seventeen. What the hell’s your problem, old man?”

She pulls down her lower eyelid and sticks out her tongue. Her accusing voice is starting to make my knees feel shaky.

Old man, she said…

In short, Lady Aurora was created as the royal family’s princess only seventeen years ago, the head of the family warned her about me and yet she’s here.

Here to stay, judging by those suitcases.

“M-More importantly, what are you doing here?”

“I already rule the Netherworld, so it’s gotten kinda boring. Those pathetic humans are next.”

And I’m back to where I started – staring at her in disbelief.

Given that even Immortals need some time to develop after they were created, I have to assume she enslaved the entirety of the Netherworld in a mere seven years.

Lady Aurora curls a strand of hair around her index finger and chuckles.

“Besides, I can’t be much of a villain in the Netherworld, right? I mean, everyone’s already dead there.”

“Isn’t being the princess enough?”

Pouting, the Lady folds her arms again.

“Being the princess is lame.”

With a heavy sigh, she checks the contents of each drawer at the desk. There isn’t much she’ll find other than knives, razor blades, ropes, sleeping pills and drain cleaner, though.

“I wonder what this switch is for.”

“Eh?”

Click.

“Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah—!!”

As I fall through what appears to be a trapdoor, Lady Aurora bursts out laughing, takes a short break when she hears me hit the ground, and then continues laughing.

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 6_orig.png

Is that even supposed to be a laugh…?

At the very least, I can now add snapping your neck to the list of suicide methods that didn’t work for me.

The sound of fragile bones cracking echoes through this odd cellar as I stand up and stretch my arms.

“Need any help down there?”

I turn to the opening in the ceiling. The light shining through is barely enough for me to see where I will be going.

“I would appreciate it very much.”

A few seconds later, a small object hits my head.

“Ow!”

“Bull’s eye!”

Sighing, I kneel down and feel the ground for the mysterious item the Lady threw in here for me. It turns out to be my phone.

Fantastic. A light source is the last thing I want in a creepy dark room I have never seen before.

“I’m comin’ down!”

Forget what I said, she’s even worse.

“Ah, wait, hang on a second—!”

Sweat runs down my forehead as I get up hectically. How Lady Aurora can go ahead and jump around despite wearing such a short skirt is beyond me.

“Ready, set, go!”

Even in the dim light, I can see a faint blush on her face as she lands in my arms with her hands on my shoulders. Feeling a rather unfamiliar heat rise to my cheeks myself, I look away as I stagger back and forth awkwardly.

“You smell like a dozen decaying corpses. ♥ ♥ ♥”

The only spark of romantic tension I’ll ever experience—ruined.

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 8_orig.png

Lady Aurora gets even closer – Retreat! Retreat! – and breathes in deeply.

Why won’t she think I’m disgusting like everyone else!?

Clearing my throat, I carefully let go of her and slowly walk further into the darkness.

“Actually, this place is kinda neat. I sure didn’t expect to find a hidden trapdoor.”

Out of curiosity, I turn around to her. (At least I think I’m facing her.)

“What did you expect to find?”

“Ways to make you my minion.”

“Found any?”

“Plenty.”

Lady Aurora flips another switch – nearly making me scream again – and the candles attached to the stone walls light up one after another.

“You want to die. Isn’t that right?”

I decide not to answer.

Fissures, spider webs, dust and dirt everywhere I look. Not bothered by that in the slightest, Lady Aurora runs her gloved hands all over the walls. Hoping to find a secret passage, I presume.

“You know only members of the Rondeau family are capable of taking an Immortal’s life.”

Stop.

“I might still be too young, but how do we know unless we try?”

Please stop.

Grinning, Lady Aurora walks towards me and adjusts my tie.

“Think about it… okay?”

Somehow, I have a feeling she isn’t kindly asking me to consider it.

Both to our left and to our right, the hallway seems to lead further inside rather than out of here.

I’ll hate either way we choose, so I couldn’t care less.

“Where do we go now?”

“You live here. What are you asking me for?”

“Well, I’ve never been down here.”

Lady Aurora looks at me like I’m speaking in an entirely different language. I twiddle my thumbs and look away.

“Basements are scary.”

She grabs me by my wrist and starts pulling me to the left.

“How in the world are you the embodiment of death?”

“I’ll be damned if I know.”

As I clumsily try to avoid stepping on the spiders crawling on the ground, she sighs.

“And there’s no way in hell you’re ever gonna be a sadistic super villain’s right-hand man like this.”

I don’t remember wanting to be one.

“Why would you want me to be your right-hand man?”

“Well, you’re a total loser, but you are the city’s patron saint or some crap like that. You’ve gotta be useful in some way.”

“I’m not.”

Shouldn’t have asked.

Even though my expression has clearly screamed ‘I wish I was dead’ for a while now, Lady Aurora grins.

“You’re so different from my other minions.”

What does she mean, other—?

She probably doesn’t understand I am not actually part of the cabin’s equipment and thus not her personal property.

Whether she cares is a completely different question, though.

As we continue walking on ahead, Lady Aurora hums a nightmare-enducing tune to herself. Must be her “secret final form boss battle theme.”

“Speaking of your minions…”

“Hmm?”

“Weren’t they supposed to be here?”

“…Why would you think that?”

“When you barged in before, didn't you yell 'Bow down, peasants!'?”

The Lady slowly lets go of my wrist and starts mumbling.

“You pick up on really weird things.”

I shrug.

“Isn't it more of a saying? Kinda like when you meet someone, you say, 'Bow down, peasant!'”

“Yeah. No. Only lunatics say that.”

Her elbow nearly shatters my ribs.

“Ow.”

And so we go on without further words spoken. Even having known her for only a few moments so far, her not saying anything creeps me out a whole lot more than when she declares her love for dead bodies.

“Found something!”

Indeed, as we hurry forward a little more, we can finally see stairs and a wooden door next to it at the end of the hallway.

I make my way for the stairs.

Lady Aurora, of course, has different plans.

“I wonder what’s behind this door.”

Rather than at the door, she looks at me.

“Are you deaf? Open it.”

Admitting defeat, I push lightly against the door. Before I even get to take a look, Lady Aurora shoves me away and hurries inside.

“This. Is. Amazing!!”

Uh-oh.

“You gotta come see this! Hurry, hurry!”

I slowly – very slowly – do as she says.

The shine in the Lady’s eyes is almost blinding. She looks so happy, standing in a room full of…

Torture devices.

Little did I know during all these years that this cabin has a basement with whips and chains, thumbscrews, even a rack and pillories in it. I can’t name the rest – but I’m sure she can.

Pulling chains and blowing dust off everywhere, Lady Aurora is already preparing a renovation of this place.

After a few seconds of silence and thoughtful gestures, the princess grabs a whip from one of the shelves. Beckoning me over, she points at the rack, prompting me to sit down on it.

Leaning forward (and getting much too close again), she gently ties the whip around my neck.

“Why don’t we give it a shot?”

She’s kidding.

“After all, you really, really want to die, don’t you.”

Or maybe she’s not.

Looking away in shame, a weak word of agreement escapes my lips.

Pressing her leather boot against my chest, Lady Aurora forcefully pushes me against the moldy surface, barely letting me avoid the spikes.

“Then let’s make a deal.”

“A… deal?”

Without letting go, Lady Aurora places her hands on her hips again.

“You will become my minion. A toy for me to play with. You will obey my commands and give up on that tiny bit of a free will you had up until now.”

Sometimes, there’s a very fine line between terrible and terrific.

“In return…”

The Lady steps behind the rack and begins tracing my cheekbones.

“I swear on the name of the royal family that you will die by my hands.”

Frankly, she still sounds more trustworthy than the guy offering me life insurance ages ago.

Chuckling maliciously at my silence, Lady Aurora heads for the door. Using the whip like a leash, she forces me to follow.

Without turning to me, she continues.

“So? Do we have a deal?”

In my current situation, either choice leads to inevitable doom. If I agree, my life will be even more of a living hell. If I don’t, I’ll be her enemy.

…But I only have one choice, right?

Mentally saying good-bye to my quiet, eventless life, I kneel down.

“Yes… Milady.”

No further questions asked, Lady Aurora turns to me and forcefully grabs my neck, clutching it tightly.

I gasp for air while my throat is burning within her firm grip. My vision becomes dim and blurry as my long decayed heart starts pounding violently.

My throat tightens more and more, and all I can do is close my eyes and scream. Scream at the unbearable pain that Lady Aurora induces with her mere hands.

—Until I can’t feel anything for a split second.

Lady Aurora lets go of me and I collapse onto the floor, breathing fitfully. I can still feel heavy pressure on my neck.

What in the world just happened?

As I stand up, I hear the jingling of a metal chain. Looking down, I let my gaze travel along the chain. It ends right in Lady Aurora’s hands.

Whereas the other end seems to lead towards me. Carefully touching the chain, I realize it stops at my neck. More precisely, at the leather collar around my neck.

When did I start wearing—How did she make that thing appear out of nowhere!?

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 7_orig.png

Laughing ominously, Lady Aurora tugs at the rather unusual leash, gagging me repeatedly.

“From this moment on, you are bound by my chains. Disobey me, and eternal punishment shall await you.”

Heat radiates from the collar as it tightens further. The words I say drop out of my mouth like they’re throwing themselves off a cliff, craving release.

“Yes… Yes, Milady.”

If death is my reward, I would rather not find out what kind of punishment she has in mind.
bakabaka
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by bakabaka »

It's entertaining and I like your drawings. But you need to work on your sentences. How should I put it? The way you tell the story isn't very fluid. I assume that English isn't your first language?
Don't take this in a bad way though, it's just my opinion after all^^. Overall I'd say that this has potential to improve. And I mean it in a good way. *thumbs up*
virgo327
Literature Club Member

Post by virgo327 »

I agree though you can ask people through private messaging so that they can help you manifest in the grammar of your story.
You might never know, more people will even have a better impression in reading. :D 8)
mania_
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by mania_ »

Woahh, late reply. Sorry, everyone! And thanks again for your comments.

Yeah, it's true that English isn't my first language. I do have a proof reader, but I tend to make so many changes that it's entirely possible she misses some stuff... :oops: If any of you could point out maybe just one or two examples where the flow of the story or grammar are wrong, that would be great. I'd like to learn from my mistakes.

Since I finally updated another chapter part today, I figured I might as well finally continue posting here too...!

As usual, much better formatting, font colors, etc. here:
Chapter 1 - Part 2 (Original)

>>
Spoiler! :
1-2: Super Villain 101

A few minutes ago, I agreed to be a sadistic super villain’s right-hand man.

Or so she says, anyway.

Back in the cabin’s entrance hall, I eagerly await hitting rock bottom again and again. With her disturbingly sweet smile, Lady Aurora takes a seat opposite of me and shoves a piece of paper in my direction.

“Being the kind and loving lady that I am--”

I should stop listening at this instant.

“—I made you a list of aaall” – she spreads her arms – “the things you’re allowed to do without my permission.”

I should have stopped listening.

Raising an eyebrow, I pick up the sheet of paper and turn it around as I fiddle about with the chain hanging from my collar.

“It’s empty.”

“Yes.”

Burying my face in my obnoxiously large hands, I sigh. When she doesn’t say anything for a while, I look up again and take a deep breath.

“…You’re serious about this.”

She glares at me. Nothing new here.

“Fine. May I voice my annoyance?”

“No.”

“May I at least ask you something?”

“No.”

I raise both my hands cluelessly and give her my usual You’ve got to be kidding me stare.

“How do you expect me to request permission if I’m not allowed to ask questions?”

“I don’t.”

The princess crosses her arms and leans back. I’d like to say that the mere sight of her makes me want to kill; my purpose is to bring death upon people after all.

But no matter how you look at it, Lady Aurora is my only key to salvation.

“You’re allowed to feel sorry for yourself now.”

Defeated once again, I bash my forehead against the desk.

“Why do people like you always get their way?”

I listen closely to the oddly worrying sound of Lady Aurora’s steps before she grabs my leash. Caught by surprise, I trip and fall onto the floor, from which she drags me towards the door leading outside.

Mind you, we’re talking about the old wooden floor here.

“Ow—OW—Damn it—Lady—Agh—rora—Gah—Splinters--”

After the thirteenth splinter of wood successfully manages to pierce itself into my skin, Lady Aurora stops.

“Because I want to get my way. Do you?”

Perhaps I could consider this official permission to speak, but I feel like I am in no position to do so right now.

That’s exactly what my problem is, isn’t it?

Can I really complain about how I’m still not dead if I don’t even bother trying to get my way? If I only feel sorry for myself, completely disregarding my part of the deal?

You have nothing left to lose now.

Those were the last words someone said to me before I started living in isolation. Before Lady Aurora showed up.

Nothing left to lose, indeed. Once the princess doesn’t need me anymore, she’ll dispose of me for sure. I think I know what to do.

As I clumsily get back on my feet, the princess smirks and wraps her right hand around the leash. The chain dissolves into a bright red light that instantly travels to her index finger and manifests into a crimson ring.

“Let’s go, Death.”

Lady Aurora opens the door and reaches out to the full moon as she takes my hand and leads me outside.

“To the world we will bring to its knees.”

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 0_orig.png

For the first time in thousands of years, I hear the balding trees rustle in the soft wind; I taste the fresh Rivlaingean air; I see the clear dark red night sky; I smell the last surviving September flowers hiding within the meadows.

Feeling a girl’s fingers entwined with my own, now that’s a new one.

Lady Aurora gives the trees weird stares, then steps towards the pitch black meadow and briefly crouches down to poke the grass.

“I’ve wondered before. What is all this stuff?”

Thanks for ruining it again.

“Nature.”

She turns to me and tilts her head. Of course she doesn’t understand. Neither did I when I first came here. The Netherworld is entirely made up of artificial grounds to walk on and buildings placed on top of them after all.

And although the void surrounding the various parts of the Netherworld is referred to as “sky,” the terrestrial equivalent is completely different.

“Humans make weird stuff. They should make castles instead.”

“Humans don’t make nature, actually.”

“Then who does this nay-chure thing?”

“The planet does.”

Lady Aurora opens her mouth in shock but doesn’t know what to say. She looks at the trees, then back to me, then at the trees again.

Suddenly, the princess lets go of me and claps her hands together once.

“Ah-hah!”

“…Lady Aurora?”

“I got it! My first step to ruling this weird planet!! Take me to a place where I can study humans!!”

“To the University of Rivlainge, then.”

…To where it all began a long time ago.

As we begin walking along the spiral-shaped path down the hill, I check my phone for one of its many features, a map of Rivlainge. Lady Aurora walks awkwardly on tiptoes until I eventually lower my arms so she can look at the screen as well.

I point at the middle of the map.

“This is where I… where we live. The rest of the city is divided into six major districts.”

“So where do we need to go?”

Thanks to the voice activation feature, the map marks a point on the north-eastern part of the city. My mascot pops up, explaining the directions.

Amused, Lady Aurora opens the map on her phone as well. I’m not sure what to think of the fact that her mascot is a bunny… thing.

Her list of questions will be endless. What’s a bunny? Following that: what are animals? And once she’s done reading the directions: what the hell is a subway?

But surprisingly, she keeps quiet about all that. She puts her phone away and moves on with her hands behind her back.

“Tell me more.”

“About what?”

“Everything you know.”

Seeing as we’ll be on our way for a while, I should most likely jump at this chance to talk about things that aren’t completely insane.

I tap my chin, trying to think of something to tell her.

“They say the skies of the Outside World are blue.”

Lady Aurora looks around as we walk, curiosity showing in her eyes so obviously. I tell her that humans of the Outside World live for over one hundred years. That they sleep at night. That murder is punished there.

But nothing I say draws any sort of reaction from her. Perhaps I should stop bothering her with facts about places we can’t reach anyway.

The closer we get to the foot of the hill, the more people we can spot across the river separating us from the adjacent districts. Midnight still seems to be a busy time in the city.

After some more trivia – “Apparently, humans see strange images while they sleep.” – we eventually reach the foot ourselves.

Lady Aurora checks her map again and makes her way for the eastern bridge, made of stone and covered in blood stains. Stains that I still remember.

As we make our first steps on the New Blood district across the river, the princess lets her gaze wander along the streaming water.

“This way… Lady Aurora.”

“Huh? Oh, right.”

With shaky knees, I lead her to a set of stairs going underground to reach the Perfect Caedis Crossing subway station. There isn’t much to see in the area, but many students change trains here.

Even right now. Urgh. People. So many of them. Staring at the ground, I try not to pay attention to the voices around me.

“That chick in Neuroscience VI is so cute. Too bad she—holy crap.”

“I can’t get this song out of my—woah!”

“…but he just can’t take a hint, jeez. And--oh em gee, look!”

An Immortal who hasn’t been among humans for what seems to be an eternity, along with an Immortal who has never been to Rivlainge before.

To many people here, things couldn’t possibly get more interesting now.

Within seconds, the curious students – most of them wearing the optional students’ uniform – surround us in excitement.

“Who’s the girl? She’s so pretty!!”

“Look, look! Her profile says she’s a princess!!”

“Join this year’s Halloween Festival, pleeease!”

Lady Aurora doesn’t entirely understand what’s happening, but she most certainly doesn’t dislike all the attention she’s getting.

“Hah, this is gonna be easy.”

“Can I take a picture with you guys!?”

“Can you help us with our uni project?”

Just as I am about to pass out, a significantly older and deeper voice resounds behind us.

“Now, now, settle down, kids.”

The group of curious students immediately steps aside, finally giving me the space I need to function properly. Somewhat. Lady Aurora, of course, had different plans and isn’t too happy about it.

As we turn around, a man wearing a lab coat walks past us and prompts us to follow him.

Among the students, one of the girls is the first to speak up before they all head to the trains as well. Quietly this time.

“Sorry, professor.”

The professor checks the train’s schedule – one more minute to go – and shrugs.

“Don’t apologize to me. They’re the ones you bothered.”

And before I know it, an overly emotional mob of students surrounds us again and gets much closer than I feel comfortable with.

“We’re sorry!”

“Yeah! We won’t do it again!”

You’re doing it again right now.

Giggling, Lady Aurora takes the lead and gives out high-fives to welcome her newly recruited minions. At least I’m fairly sure that’s what she’s thinking.

When the train arrives, rather than taking a seat, the professor stands next to us throughout the entire ride. He occasionally looks at me like he wants to tell me something. Maybe I’m being paranoid.

New Blood district
University of Rivlainge

Checking my surroundings, all I can really see are students having snacks and studying in the meadows, and a sand-colored path leading towards the main university building.

It looks… fine. Plus, no one freaks out about us, possibly thanks to the professor still being with us. Just the same old uni life I once knew.

“This is boring.”

It’s fine.

Even so, Lady Aurora still appears to be excited enough about her upcoming Super Villain 101 as she walks along the path. Pointing her phone at one student after another, she grins.

“I wonder what these people study.”

Glancing over her shoulder, I let my curiosity win and read over the profiles that appear on the screen one after another.

Faculty of Science – Neuroscience Major.
Faculty of Criminology – Pathology Major.
Faculty of Science – Information Technology Major.
Faculty of Arts – Fictional Gore minor.
Faculty of Arts – Actual Gore Major.

“I should join some of these.”

Lady Aurora nudges me with her elbow and then stops in front of the transparent double door, the main entrance.

I turn around to check if the professor is still with us. He is. It’s weird being around someone who speaks even less than I do.

After taking a deep breath, the princess kicks both doors at once, takes a big step forward and stretches out her arm in an all too familiar pose.

“Wait—!!”

“Bow down, peasa—Agh!”

What Lady Aurora hasn’t taken into account is that these types of doors swing shut very quickly. And that they hurt quite a bit.

As an increased security measure, it is necessary to “check in” using our phones before entering a building. Otherwise, these sorts of things happen.

Rubbing her arm, the princess looks at me.

Teary-eyed.

“Uuuuuu~h…”

Mewling, she leans against me and cries onto my suit. I try to shove her away, but I can’t even get myself to touch her shoulders. Meanwhile, the professor has trouble suppressing his laugh.

“There, there. The big bad door won’t hurt you again.”

Lady Aurora kicks me in the stomach.

“Don’t make fun of me, you piece of shit!!”

As I cringe in pain and desperately try not to cough up blood, Lady Aurora holds up her phone in front of the checkpoint.

Beep.

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 2_orig.png

Pouting, she heads inside and goes on without waiting for us. When the door closes again, the professor leans forward and scratches his head.

“Does this happen a lot?”

“I have a feeling it will happen a lot.”

“Oh boy.”

Well, let’s get this over with.

The university’s new interior – new to me, that is –, painted mostly in gray and a few dim colors, turns out to be far more generic than its questionable subjects imply.

Lady Aurora returns from one of the snack stalls and hands the professor a bar of chocolate.

“I’ll trade this for a lifetime of lectures on humans so I can become the greatest sadistic super villain ever.”

Without batting an eyelash, the professor grabs the bar and takes a bite. Before removing the wrapping.

“Worth it.”

What the hell.

Passing by the cafeteria and a large sign detailing the building’s layout, we follow the professor as he leads us downstairs.

Gah. Downstairs. Basements.

Whispering, I turn to Lady Aurora.

“How in the world did you do that?”

“His profile says he’s married to chocolate. I like this guy.”

As serious as always, the professor turns around to us as he continues.

“By the way, the name’s Evans.”

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 1_orig.png

Lady Aurora quickly glances at his phone and raises her hand as if she were in class.

“But it says Doctor Evans on your profile.”

Evans flinches but continues like nothing had happened. His face says That girl just mentioned the one thing I didn’t want to hear! so very, very clearly.

I’m terrible at dealing with people, let alone humans, but I know this expression when I see it.

“Just… call me Evans. It’s fine.”

“But that’s boring.”

“It’s fine.”

With every step we take, the temperature gets significantly lower. The basement’s walls become darker as well. It’s starting to look and feel sort of like home.

“Hey Doc, are you, like, an actual doctor? Who cuts up people and stuff? Are you a villain too? Do you do it for fun? Have you ruled the world before?”

“Save your questions for the lecture, princess.”

Like she’s going to listen to him.

“Okaaay.”

Sweet mother of everything that is dead and rotten, where do I sign up for this man’s fan club?

When we reach the end of the stairs, Evans turns around to us.

“Welcome to the Faculty of Criminology. Sounds fun, doesn’t it.”

Hard to tell when everything he says sounds deadly monotonous and sarcastic in a very subtle way. I can’t put my finger on it, but he doesn’t seem half as pessimistic as I do.

As we look around, Lady Aurora finally starts to notice how cold it is down here. Faking an overly dramatic snivel, she looks at me.

Sighing, I undo my suit jacket and put it around her shoulders. My body heat is practically nonexistent, so I suppose it doesn’t matter.

Once again, a few students walk past us. Blood on their hands, death in their eyes. Some of them stop to take a closer look, but all of them keep a respectful distance this time.

Evans stops in front of a door labeled Pathology VI.

“You don’t mind a couple of dead bodies, do you, princess?”

“Bring it on!”

Why isn’t anyone asking me!?

Hesitating, I accept my fate and follow my unintentional companions as Evans unlocks the door. He turns on the lights, revealing exactly what I expected.

To our left, desks and chairs for students, bookshelves and display cases with all sorts of instruments needed for what’s happening to our right. To the dead bodies tied to dissecting tables.

The smell hardly bothers me. It’s fairly natural in the City of Death. What I can’t stand is looking at them. All six of them, young men, murdered. Cruel images of their demise flash before my eyes.

“Amazing.”

Lady Aurora runs, or rather dances around them, unsure of which one to touch and examine first. The more they’ve rot so far, the more she likes them.

Finally, she makes a choice and leans over one of the bodies, never averting her eyes from me.

“Everything you know.”

My eyes widen. What I perceive isn’t this room anymore. Dim lights. Blurry crowds. Muffled music. The end creeping closer.

“…Marcus Sterling. Died at 21. 19th of August. Murdered. Heart failure.”

“Elaborate.”

“Congestive.”

“The killer?”

“Unknown.”

Evans nods.

"Just like all the others."

My head hurts. I feel sick. Like I am the victim shortly before his death. Lady Aurora hops off the table and helps me keep my balance as my vision slowly but surely returns to normal.

I wonder if that was really necessary, but something tells me this is really the kind of introduction that Evans wanted.

Smiling for once, he leans against the door.

“And with that, let’s begin Super Villain 101.”

He actually calls it that…

As Lady Aurora and I sit down on the nearest desk (after a bunch of centuries, I’m kind of sick of chairs anyway), Evans continues. Far more seriously than I would have expected him to only a few moments ago.

“The first step to understanding humanity is acknowledging that we are a different kind of society with no access to the Outside World.”

Despite the professor mentioning the completely irrelevant Outside World, Lady Aurora listens carefully. Or perhaps irrelevant isn’t the right term here.

“Every corner of Rivlainge is monitored twenty-four hours a day. Where’s the contradiction, princess?”

Lady Aurora tilts her head and puts on a thoughtful pose with her index finger at her lips.

“If that is true, then why don’t we know who killed these men?”

“Exactly.”

With his hands tucked into the pockets of his lab coat, Evans remains quiet for a few more seconds, giving Lady Aurora more time to think about it.

When he continues, he holds up his phone.

“The network constantly reads our brain waves. It repels lies. If I seriously tried to make you believe it doesn’t, well, things wouldn’t be pretty here.”

There are six rotting corpses between the lecturer and his students. How is that pretty to begin with?

Lady Aurora leans forward and rests her head on both her hands.

“Honesty. That’s what this society is based on. Take it away from us, and we’ll be helpless. In other words: break the system – we’re screwed.”

Silence ensues. It’s so quiet I feel like I can hear the bodies weep. Lady Aurora blinks, her thoughts obviously all over the place. Evans takes another bite and wraps his hand around the doorhandle.

“Then that concludes today’s lecture.”

Is that all? Is that little piece of information supposed to be a big turning point in our—her plan to rule the world?

“Wait.”

Lady Aurora walks towards the door and grabs Evans’ coat.

“I get it now. If we can’t open the lock, we need to break it.”

Smirking, she looks up at him, disregarding that he’s still staring at the door. He may have not expected her to speak up anymore.

Yes… It’s easy to underestimate that girl.

“I’ll find the killer. Sounds good to you? Surely you have a reason to keep the bodies here. It’s in your interest to solve this mystery as well, isn’t it?”

Evans finally turns to her.

“Can’t say I’m dead set on it. I’m interested in something else.”

I don’t like the look he’s giving me. More precisely, I don’t like the idea of two complete nutjobs that enjoy dead bodies being interested in me.

“I’m sure there are lots of things our kind can do for a scientist.”

“Naturally.”

Maybe none of this was a coincidence.

“Then let’s make a deal.”

None of this was a coincidence. He ‘coincidentally’ met us. He ‘cluelessly’ accepted Lady Aurora’s ridiculous trade. He ‘casually’ showed us that room, and none other.

One eyebrow raised, Evans leans back to listen.

“You will become my minion. A scholar in my fateful army. You will obey my commands and provide me with all the information I want.”

That sounds a whole lot nicer than what she told me.

“In return…”

Lady Aurora raises her left hand and points at the professor’s throat.

“I swear on the name of the royal family that your research will be completed.”

Evans shows a lot less suspicion and hesitation than I did. Whatever this research really is, it must mean the world to him.

“Deal.”

In a familiar bright red light, a cross-shaped necklace appears around Evans’ neck before it returns to Lady Aurora’s hand. That’s two rings now, one on each index finger.

Blinking, he gives the princess a questioning look but decides not to enquire any further. So this entire process is possible without being in unbearable pain.

…Lady Aurora truly loves seeing me suffer, doesn’t she.

“Hey, Doc.”

The princess heads back to the desk, clutches my collar and makes the chain appear again; same magic trick as usual.

“Go bring another dissecting table. We’re gonna have a lot of fun tonight.”
Calculatrix
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Calculatrix »

Ahahaha I laughed a lot while reading this. I think it's written pretty well, and it's even better when you put in the right jokes at the right times. Love it ahaha.

Also, really nice artwork. Good job;)
Author of "Weaver of Chaos" and "Code : Reality"
mania_
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by mania_ »

Thanks, Calculatrix! :D There's nothing more reassuring than writing a comedy and people actually liking the jokes, haha. And I'm glad you like the art!

Chapter 1-3: Does 'finders keepers' apply to dead bodies?
> As usual, link leads to the website with the intended layout, illustrations, and so on.
Warnings for failed fanservice and... well, the title pretty much gives it away. :P

For anyone who prefers plain text, check the spoiler. vv
Spoiler! :
http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 5_orig.png

As the rain rattles loudly at the windows, I pull the blanket closer to my face. The warmth is soothing; just knowing that I am home, actually resting in my bed for once, is incredibly calming to my mind.

The University is working on a certain project. A project to honor the dead, the fallen citizens of Rivlainge.

And then less calming memories slowly return to me. I close my eyes and run my fingers through my hair, trying to drown out the painful parts and only concentrate on what was said.

Two certain voices are in my head, but I can’t retrace the exact conversation. Too many parts are missing, vague or incomplete.

Apparently, this is a common procedure in the Outside World.

I’ll say it again. How do we know unless we try?

And this is more of a personal interest, but…

Someone out there even outsmarts Death.

An entity capable of creating Immortals. Who is the King?

I remember them talking about the things I know about the dead. Something about our Creator. Something about the Netherworld. Lady Aurora taking pleasure in my ear-shattering screaming.

Sighing, I turn away from the windows. Blindly reaching for the other pillow, I end up grabbing something cold and hard instead.

Confused, I open my eyes.

Lady Aurora.

In my bed.

Hugging a dead man.

“Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah—!!!”

Startled, I fall back on the floor, accidentally ripping off the body’s hand. Despite the awful sight in front of me, I can’t take my eyes off Lady Aurora and her new friend.

She yawns and rubs her eyes as she slowly sits up, clutching the body like a plush toy.

“You don’t like him?”

As shivers run down my spine (ha ha, what spine?), my admittedly weak heart beats rapidly. Feeling my stomach twist and turn, I cover my mouth with both hands.

Only my own hands, mind you.

“You’re such a wuss.”

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 2_orig.png

When we meet again in the kitchen only a few minutes later, after Lady Aurora has dressed, I still haven’t calmed down. First I pass out for an entire day, and now this.

Water leaks from the tap. The tiles are broken. Bugs crawl from one corner to another. I’d love to think that nothing has changed at all, but alas, I can’t.

“Whothehellisthatguy.”

Raising an eyebrow, Lady Aurora sits down next to me as she drinks from a bottle filled with red liquid.

“I found him last night.”

“Y-You found him!?”

“Nobody else looked like they wanted him, so I took him in. Finders keepers.”

“What were you thinking!?”

“That he looks tasty.”

All too happily, the princess finally reclaims the hand I accidentally ripped off and takes a bite from its index finger.

“I was right.”

“No, I mean, you should have called a doctor!”

“I did. The Doc said I should just go have fun with him.”

“A real doctor—!!”

Leaning back, completely exhausted, I breathe in and out deeply a few more times before I even look at Lady Aurora again.

“Give me that.”

“Uh--”

I snatch the bottle from her and take a large sip.

And then I spit it out again.

“What the bloody hell is that!?”

“Funny you should say that. It’s your blood.”

“How--”

“Well, you were bleeding an awful lot when the Doc and I cut you up.”

Lady Aurora makes use of my few seconds of speechlessness and continues drinking. She licks her lips, deadpan, and waits for my reaction.

“Why would— Are you— Kids shouldn’t be drinking!!”

“What did you say, old man!?”

Considering that a challenge, apparently, Lady Aurora drinks more and more as she dodges my attempts to stop her.

“Put that away! Why are you drinking my blood!? Do you even know how creepy that is!?”

The princess pokes out her bloodstained tongue as she quickly leaves the kitchen. Eyes twitching, I follow her into the entrance hall and chase after her.

“Stop, damn it!!”

Lady Aurora runs around the desk, I follow, again and again, until she makes her way towards the exit and turns to me.

“You want this, huh?”

She throws the bottle onto the floor, making the remains of my blood leak out. Unable to stop in time, I step on the small puddle, slip and fall. Fall onto her, that is.

“Gyah!!” “Waah—!!”

Frowning, Lady Aurora immediately opens her mouth to yell at me, but before either of us gets to say something, her phone rings.

“Ah!”

In a situation that is bound to cause a massive misunderstanding, I would never even think about answering a call.

Lady Aurora, of course, has different plans.

“Hey, Doc!” “This isn’t what it looks like!!”

When my brain finally regains its functionality, I move away from Lady Aurora and clear my throat. She sits up as well, but with one hundred percent less embarrassment than me.

Although Evans’ expression is still somewhat awkward, he grins.

Huh, I would’ve expected the princess to be on top.

“I told you, it’s not—!!”

Despite clearly not understanding what’s going on, Lady Aurora crosses her arms angrily.

“What’re you saying, Doc! Of course I’m on top! I’m always on top!”

“L-Lady Aurora, that’s…”

With a light chuckle, Evans picks up a sheet of paper from his desk. It’s covered in coffee stains and I have no idea how he manages to read from it.

Anyway. You know why I’m calling?

If Lady Aurora is this easy to distract with a single call, then there is only one way.

“This deal is working out so nicely,” – her voice deepens – “unlike a certain other agreement.”

Evans grins even wider at my unimpressed face.

Sorry, no time to play marriage counselor today. There was another murder at the Williams Cellar Bar. I thought you might want to know.

“Gotcha. Thanks, Doc!”

They both hang up. At least there was a point in my suffering. To her. I could do very well without chasing after a serial killer. But anything goes to get me closer to getting killed.

Lady Aurora immediately checks her map.

“Williams… Cellar Bar, was it? I think we can reach that with the, uh, subway again.”

“I’ll just go get my jacket.”

When I return from my… our… I’m-not-sure-whose room and hand Lady Aurora the umbrella I found in my closet, she once again fails to understand.

I open the front door to introduce her to another natural phenomenon: rain.

“Ohh!”

Lady Aurora runs into some trouble trying to open the umbrella, but when she manages to do so, she’s all the more proud. Holding it up high enough to keep me dry as well, she starts walking.

“By the way.”

“Hmm?”

“What the hell’s a marriage?”

Lounge Gardens district
East Styx St.

“It should be somewhere around here.”

As I walk along the river, several steps ahead of Lady Aurora, I brush aside some wet strands of hair. On our way here, she kept insisting on sharing the umbrella, but I declined. Every time.

Although it has earned us a few weird stares from people passing by, I just can’t stand so close to her. Not until I stop feeling sick from her mere presence.

“Ah, there it is!”

Hang on.

I turn around to Lady Aurora only to find her pointing at a nearby building. Without having her map ready to make sure, that is.

“You seem to know the area.”

“Who? Me? Naaah, I just, uh, I memorized the map!”

Could she be any more suspicious right now?

“Then I’m sure you know which part of the city this is.”

She looks at me like I’m speaking some ancient human language.

“Uuuh. North-west?”

“South-east, but close.”

The princess puts on her best innocent cute girl face and scratches her cheek while showing her tongue just a little.

“Oopsie! I keep mixing those up.”

That’s not her. The real princess is a crude, bossy woman who wouldn’t accept having made such a mistake.

And then it hits me.

Pointing at her accusingly, I yell out my conclusion.

“So that’s how you know! The body you brought home is yesterday’s murder victim!!”

Clearly feeling caught, Lady Aurora stares at me. Clutching the umbrella’s handle and lowering her head, she starts shaking.

Then suddenly, she runs off towards the bar, leaving me behind.

“You can’t take him away from meeeeeeeee!!”

“H-Heeey! Stop right there!!”

Sighing, I put one hand on my cheek. Despite the cold rain pouring down on my face, it feels like it’s burning. More calming memories return to me. Memories of what it is like to feel.

Even if it’s just frustration right now.

The network constantly reads our brain waves. It repels lies.

…I suppose obvious lies and stupid pranks aren’t included in that.

Slowly walking towards the bar, I check my phone. Even though the place is “closed for investigation,” Lady Aurora isn’t the only person inside.

I hesitate, but then I drastically quicken my pace and head down the nearby stairs into the Cellar Bar.

When the heavy creaking door closes behind me, the air feels stale at once. It really is a crime scene. One that reeks of death, sweat and alcohol.

And the vomit I just stepped into.

Clumsily wiping my shoes on the carpet close to the entrance, I stop abruptly when I suddenly hear someone playing the piano. Sure as hell can’t be her.

I head further inside the bar, past several expensive-looking bottles of alcohol and a collection of old-fashioned records.

There she stands in awe, Lady Aurora, as she watches a young man play an enchanting song. Unbothered by our disturbance, he goes on, slower, then faster, putting his heart and soul into every note played.

He remains seated until the final note stops resounding through the bar. Then he stands up, steps off the stage and smiles at us.

“That song, it’s called Death and the Maiden. A man by the name of Franz Schubert wrote it a long, long time ago.”

His accent is subtle, but it immediately gives him away. He’s an Outsider.

When the princess begins clapping her hands, the young man chuckles and scratches the back of his head.

“Ah, thank you, thank you very much. Allow me to introduce myself.”

“Hitoe Naritomo, lead homicide investigator of the Rivlainge crime investigation department. It is an honor to meet you.”

Lady Aurora’s eyes shine at the sound of the word “homicide.” Even more so when Hitoe bows before her and boldly kisses the back of her hand.

“So you’re here for the murder case, too.”

“Never too far from a perfect crime, my dear.”

Hitoe puts his arm around Lady Aurora’s waist and heads towards the bar. He walks behind the counter and grabs three glasses from the shelves.

Something about this guy makes me want to get away from him as fast as possible, but as Lady Aurora takes a seat, I decide to do so as well.

He pours the Lady a glass of blood-red fruit juice, and himself a glass of scotch. And I get nothing. Thanks a lot.

“This case, it’s interesting, isn’t it? When I got here last night, the body had already disappeared.”

As he downs his drink at once, Lady Aurora looks at me first, then back to him, grinning.

“Yeah, that was me.”

Hitoe appears to be neither surprised nor angry. No, instead, he keeps up his annoying smile like his face is stuck that way.

“Is that so?”

“Oh, but I didn’t kill him. I just happened to pass by and take him home.”

Just happened to… Honestly, what was she doing out there?

But of course, I’m the only one who thinks this entire thing is unreasonable beyond belief. To Hitoe, it’s utterly amusing.

“As expected from the princess. A noble woman who takes anything she wants, just the way it should be.”

Noble woman. Right. Spoiled brat. Those are the words you were looking for.

Lady Aurora critically examines her drink and takes a sip. She seems surprised, but the taste doesn’t appear to be entirely unpleasant.

“Being the kind and loving lady that I am--”

Not again.

“—I would be willing to return the body to you. For the investigation.”

“That won’t be necessary.”

Hitoe refills his glass and shrugs.

“In fact, please keep him. Being used by such a beautiful lady, he must be very happy.”

Happy, huh.

And now they are heartily laughing together. About having fun with dead bodies. Evans is weird enough already, but this guy might just be Lady Aurora’s soulmate.

As I nibble at my empty glass, I try to put my finger on the countless other things that are bothering me.

“If one of the bar’s guests found the body and called you, did they just… leave the body outside? Unattended? Is that what happened?”

For the first time, Hitoe’s expression changes to slight surprise.

“Isn’t that alright?”

He casually points below a table to his right.

That girl hasn’t been moved since she died last week.”

“Oh my God, what the—!?”

Shrinking back, I nearly fall off the bar stool. This is the wrongest kind of wrong. I shouldn’t feel normal just because I am among complete maniacs.

Lady Aurora sighs and crosses her arms.

“You really are a terrible right-hand man.”

“Yeah, for a walking morgue, you sure don’t handle dead bodies well.”

Hitoe suppresses his laughter, way too confident about his stupid joke.

But suddenly, I remember.

The University is working on a certain project. A project to honor the dead, the fallen citizens of Rivlainge. To keep their memory alive. If we could access the information stored within his brain, then perhaps…

I’m probably in a whole lot more trouble than I can imagine right now.

“Psst.”

Lady Aurora leans over to me and starts whispering. Well, as much as she can whisper when she’s this obnoxiously excited.

“He knows what a ‘morgue’ is. He must be from the Outside World.”

“You don’t say.”

My sarcasm earns me a punch against my upper arm. The princess crosses her arms and turns her attention to Hitoe again, whereas I hold my arm, flinching. I keep forgetting how ridiculously strong that gullible little girl is.

“Are there lots of ‘morgues’ in the Outside World?” “How in the world did you get here?”

Smirking yet again, Hitoe shoves me away and leans in closer to Lady Aurora. He begins whispering to her seductively.

“Let’s go out for dinner, shall we? I can tell you all about it. The Outside World, the murder case… Everything you want to know.”

“Sure!”

Lady Aurora joins Hitoe behind the counter to link arms with him.

“But first you need to walk me home. And then you need to pick me up later and take me to the best restaurant in the city.”

No questions asked, he agrees and heads for the exit with her. Before they leave, though, Hitoe turns around to me.

“Be seeing you, my decaying friend.”

The two of them wave me goodbye and leave me there. All by myself, with my umbrella and some unfinished fruit juice and scotch.

Psh. Friend. Yeah, right.

Grumbling in annoyance – or despair, I guess – I pick up the glass of scotch and force its contents down my throat. Coughing repeatedly, I rest my head on the counter and try to breathe normally.

From this moment on, you are bound by my chains.

…Doesn’t really feel like it. Doesn’t feel like it at all. I can’t tell what she’s planning to do, or whether she’s already forgotten about her plans, and it’s driving me crazy. This is torture. Real torture.

When my phone rings all of a sudden, I’d just love to ignore it, but us Rivlaingeans can never resist the urge to check what’s going on.

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 778999.png
Lady Aurora said: You'll do anything to solve this case with me, right???
Lady Aurora invited you to Your Funeral and said: ♥ ♥ ♥

…Crap.

My lips almost, almost curve into a smile, and before I know it, I am already headed for a place I had almost forgotten about.

Perfect Caedis district
Caelectronics store

“Now that isn’t unusual, per se. I just haven’t actually spoken to someone from the Outside World who was willing to tell me how they got here.”

Yawning, the shop assistant takes off his glasses and begins cleaning them.

“Dude. I don’t care.”

Ignoring the queue behind me, I lean against the counter and continue.

“I don’t feel well knowing they’ll be on a date later. She doesn’t even know what that is. I mean, someone’s gotta look after her, right?”

A pink-haired girl waiting in line leans forward.

“You should talk to her! She probably doesn’t know how you feel about it.”

“Don’t give him advice, damn it.”

“But he looks really upset!”

“Irena, seriously.”

As most of the other customers step away to spend their time playing video games or trying out recent laptop models instead, the shop assistant sighs.

“So you’re a creepy stalker. Just say so instead of babbling for an hour.”

Before I get to defend myself, he places a small box on the counter.

“Not sure if you can afford this if all you do is bother people with your drama, but this is the best I can offer right now.”

Give something to society, get something in return. That’s how it works. Determined, I hold up my phone in front of the checkout and watch the debt level on my profile rise immensely.

…Yeah, I haven’t exactly contributed anything worthwhile to society in forever. Shouldn’t be surprised.

“Doesn’t matter. How does it work?”

He opens the box, revealing a robot bug and a tiny earpiece.

“Place that bug on someone--”

“Won’t they notice?”

“Will you let me finish!?”

Clearing my throat, I look away.

“The bug will disappear the second it comes into contact with the other person. And from then on, any of their relevant conversations will be transferred to your phone.”

“Relevant?”

“Anything relevant to your intention. Or that’s supposed to happen, anyway. We haven’t been able to test it much.”

The shop assistant pauses, then gives me a disgusted stare.

“Not many creepy stalkers around here, you know.”

Really shouldn’t be surprised.

Sighing, I pick up the box. Can I really do such a thing to Lady Aurora? I have to, but…

This is exactly why people vote me the creepiest guy in the city. This is exactly why people vote me the creepiest guy in the city. This is--

“Exactly what I need.”

When I ask for a bag to carry my purchase in, my phone mascot scolds me and tells me to stop leeching off society. So I leave the store with the little technological bug crawling in my hand, and the earpiece tucked away in my suit jacket.

And this is why I hate this district. Always have, always will. Bloody snobs and their stupidly expensive ‘upper class’ service.

Speak of the devil, the second I step on the pavement, he shows up.

Yaa! Morguey!”

PuppyofaMikuru.

With his usual disgusting smile, Hitoe goes ahead and follows me along the street full of high-class stores.

As I look away, all the confidence I had before is crushed to pieces. The rain is almost louder than my voice.

“Did Lady Aurora get home safely?”

“One hundred percent is the least I’ll ever accept. The very least.”

A simple ‘yes’ would have sufficed. I want to clench my fists, but then I remember the bug is still hiding there.

“Why are you so interested in her?”

Chuckling, Hitoe lights up a cigarette.

“Why is she so interested in me?”

Dumbfounded, I stand still and almost drop my umbrella. That’s what I’ve been really asking myself, but… Shaking my head to get rid of that train of thoughts, I catch up with him.

“Kidding, kidding. What connects us all is the search for a serial killer who even outsmarts Death, right?”

“So what’s in it for you?”

“Harsh, my friend. Harsh.”

Not looking hurt in the slightest, Hitoe inhales deeply and blows the cigarette smoke right in my face.

“I like a lot of things. Power. Women. Wealth. I like constantly being voted the hottest piece of shit in this entire city. But you know what I like most?”

He holds his umbrella away from him and lets the rain pour all over him as he steps in front of me.

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 5_orig.png

“Perfection.”

Getting a clear, reasonable answer from this guy is impossible.

Hitoe continues walking and briefly looks back as we head towards the center of the district; a perfectly neat park with a large fountain in the middle, and people retreating as soon as we set foot on the piece of land.

He tosses both his cigarette and umbrella aside and reveals a knife from inside his jacket.

“Perfection, indeed, is all I’m interested in. That’s why I need to set myself apart from mere humans.”

Trying to argue with him would be pointless, so I don’t.

“What do you want?”

Smirking, Hitoe cuts deeply into his hand, blood dripping onto the muddy ground and blending with the rain water.

“A blood oath.”

How much of a jerk would I be if I said “no” after he already cut his hand, and more importantly, how satisfying would that be?

Even before explaining his intentions further, Hitoe hands me the knife. As the sky darkens and the wind grows stronger, I hesitate.

“I want an Immortal’s abilities as much as you want mortal blood flowing through your veins. Isn’t that true?”

You have nothing left to lose.

I don’t even care if my death wish is painfully obvious or if Lady Aurora already told him all about how pathetic I am.

If all else fails, I can at least take this chance to use the surveillance bug. Without a word, I put my umbrella away as well and take the knife to get it over with.

Damn it, I should have taken off my gloves first.

After having the knife returned to him, Hitoe licks over the blade and firmly presses our cuts together. The stinging pain almost escapes my notice, that’s how ‘out there’ my thoughts are right now.

“That should be enough.”

“Yes.”

He lets go of me and tucks his wounded hand into his pants pocket without a care in the world. As he turns around, he holds up the other hand briefly.

“Well then, better get this taken care of. I’ve got a date tonight.”

And I’ve got to make sure it won’t go wrong.
mania_
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by mania_ »

Since the "official site" will have the end of chapter 2 up tomorrow, I figured I should finally post the final part of the first chapter here... ^^;; Been pretty busy lately, with drawing prints for this novel and organizing stuff with my LN doujin circle friends. Although it hasn't been too long, I feel like the art in chapter 1 is reeeally bad compared to chapter 2, haha.

Chapter 1-4: Immortality oblige

> Again, the link leads to the original site with the intended layout, illustrations, yadda yadda.
Warning for... blood, I guess? Although people who mind it that much probably won't check back here anyway. :P

For plain text, check the spoiler.
Spoiler! :
Everything is going wrong.

The very moment I step into that high-class restaurant to not-stalk my not-friend and the girl I not-like, the receptionist glares at me. She grabs me by my shirt and whispers accusingly.

“About damn time you showed up! Get in, quick!”

I have no idea what is going on.

Not until one of the waiters walks past me and I realize that I’m wearing the exact same thing as he is. Bloody hell. I used to work here part-time.

Of all the things to change into, I chose my old uniform? Really? I mean, what are the odds? What kind of stupid joke has my life turned into?

“Uh, you see, actually, I—gah!”

The nearly invisible earpiece I’m wearing emits a light electric shock. It doesn’t hurt, but it’s enough to startle me.

“What’s this place called?”

“Noblesse. It’s the only restaurant worthy of a princess.”

Crap, they’re here.

Option A – get out of here. Option B – be a creep, pretend to work here and use every chance to watch them.

“I’m on my way, Ma’am.”

Adjusting my bowtie, I head past the reception. Pssh, yeah, right, worthy of a princess. Last time I checked this place was—oh my God, it’s beautiful.

The interior looks like it was made for an evil princess like Lady Aurora. It’s dark, yet oddly romantic, and accompanied by slow jazz music (which sort of sounds like I’d heard it recently).

As I quietly make my way for the kitchen, I listen to the guests’ soothing voices and watch their eyes shine in the candle-lights.

There’s no point in denying it. I would kill to be one of those rich, fancy looking men having dinner. Right there. Discussing stupid plans with Lady Aurora, if I have to. At the table below that gorgeous chandelier.

Upon taking a closer look, I notice a memo on that exact table.

Reserved for special guests. 8:00 p.m.

Like I didn’t see that coming.

Nervously tugging at my sleeves, I hide behind the counter and carefully, very carefully take a peek at Lady Aurora and Hitoe as they enter the room.

“Woah-hoh, those are special guests, alright.”

“Gah!!”

Covering my mouth, I immediately kneel on the floor as to not be seen by a certain someone. Looking up, I notice a waitress standing next to me.

She sits down as well and grins.

“When Dad told me he hired an Immortal, I didn’t expect it to be you.”

So whose shift is this!?

“I--”

Ignoring my urge to say something, she leans back and folds her hands behind her head.

“But yeah, I can kinda see it now. You do look like you’re more used to serving rather than being served.”

There was a time where I wondered how low one can go. Now I know.

“What’re you waiting for? Go take their order.”

“W-What? Why?”

As more waiters walk by – we couldn’t have picked a busier night, that’s for sure – and give us odd stares, the girl sighs.

“You’re a little on the slow side, aren’t you? ‘Cause it’s your table.”

“But--”

“My Dad didn’t hire you so you could talk back to me!”

He didn’t hire me at all.

One of my accidental co-workers exits the kitchen and glares at the waitress.

“It’s your table. Stop slacking off, Heather.”

“Fiiine.”

Heather gets up and puts on an overly friendly and polite (and scary) smile. While she heads for Lady Aurora and Hitoe’s table, I quickly hide in the kitchen.

I’ll just pretend I’m here to wash the dishes. That should keep me busy enough for a while.

Clash.

Okay, I just dropped a pile of plates. No big deal. I’ll just pretend I’m here to clean the entire kitchen.

As I pick up the shards, trying not to cut myself, I poke the earpiece in hopes of hearing something interesting.

“Hah, what are you like? AB positive is for wimps. I’ll have O negative.”

“Right away, Ma’am.”

So they were only discussing drinks. Sighing in relief, I pick up another shard and instinctively carry the mess to the appropriate trash bin.

I guess some things don’t change around here after all.

“Anyway, back to business.”

“Certainly. Party Killer case, that’s what we call it.”

“Literally, huh?”

Upon being asked to bring something from the storage (so I won’t break even more stuff up here), I head downstairs.

Although the restaurant itself looks incredibly noble, the basement is a mess. Flickering lights. Slippery stairs. Dirty walls. About as comfortable as home.

“The victims are exclusively young men attending bars and clubs.”

“Doesn’t sound hard to solve in theory.”

“That’s what I think, too, but…”

Normally, no one would even attempt to hide the fact they’ve killed someone. In the City of Death, murder is an art. Serial killers especially are quite possibly the most popular residents right after us Immortals.

Frankly, I am starting to develop a bit of morbid curiosity as well.

“There’s a network malfunction, right?”

“Most likely.”

“Then what do we know so fa--”

Bzzz.

When the door to the cold storage closes behind me, the transfer is interrupted.

As I turn on the lights, I accidentally leave blood stains on the switch. Looks like the cut opened up again. I should have probably gotten it stitched when I had the chance, but…

--------------------------------------------

Several hours earlier…
Perfect Caedis district
Carin’ Karin’s

“A-Are you sure this is a hospital?”

“It’s not.”

That was how I realized I really dislike getting straightforward replies from Hitoe. Awfully amused and carefree, he patted my back and smiled.

“What gave it away? The eerie music? The secret underground entrance? The light at the end of this incredibly drawn out tunnel? The nurse?”

I stopped for a second.

“…What about the nurse?”

“Oh! I ruined the surprise.”

When we reached the blinding light at the end of the entrance hall, Hitoe shoved me inside the treatment room. As my eyes adjusted to the bright lights, I was surprised to find myself in a clean, well equipped room.

Chuckling, Hitoe walked towards the nurse standing right there in the middle with her back turned to us.

Turning around swiftly, the girl reached out to push a giant syringe into Hitoe’s arm, but he quickly held onto both her wrists to stop her like he knew—Yeah, he knew it was about to happen.

“It’s been a while, Karin.”

Smirking, Karin broke free from Hitoe’s grip and drew back only to gather her strength and attempt to assault him again.

“Far too long, indeeeeeed!!”

Side-stepping and hopping backwards, Hitoe skillfully dodged each and every one of Karin’s subsequent attacks. The nurse’s fury, on the other hand, broke several medicine cabinets along the way.

“My dear Karin is as charming as ever!”

Another shot.

“Save your breath for your deathbed!!”

Another evasive move.

“I’ve got plenty left. What about you?”

Hitoe dodged the shot by casually hopping over a dissecting table. Karin ran after him, tossing the table aside with enough force to make it break a hole into the floor.

Just as I was about to leave in secrecy, Hitoe hid behind my back, making the nurse push the syringe in my direction. Eyes opened wide, she stopped just in time.

“Eeek—!!”

“Oh?”

Karin withdrew the needle pointed at my chest and tapped her cheek with an insightful “Ah.”

“You brought Death to play with us?”

Hitoe grinned as he gave himself a pat on the shoulder.

“Good job, me.”

I glanced at the mess behind the nurse, hoping I wouldn’t end up having to run from her as well. For all I know, I wouldn’t have been able to keep up with her stamina.

“Miss… Karin.”

Blinking innocently, the nurse tugged at her pigtails as I bowed slightly.

“If you can, please treat his wound first.”

Hitoe slapped his forehead.

Yes, he used his bleeding hand.

“Ah, I totally forgot about that.”

He walked up to the nearest table (that hadn’t been destroyed yet) and sat down. Surprisingly, Karin followed without objecting. As she took a seat as well, she leaned over Hitoe’s hand, examining it critically, and began looking for something in the desk’s drawers.

“What happened?”

Before I got to try and explain that we swore to support each other to solve a murder case for the greater good, or something, Hitoe went ahead and summed up his version of the story.

“We’re brothers now!”

Kill me. Kill me NOW.

…is what I thought.

Suppressing her laughter, Karin firmly squeezed Hitoe’s hand, making his blood splash onto the table. When she licked her lips, he grabbed her chin and made her look into his eyes.

“You’ll never get a taste of my perfect blood, darling.”

“I’d rather have a taste of your screams.”

“I’d like to see you try.”

Using two needles at once, Karin began stitching up the cut. She never took her eyes off Hitoe, waiting for a twitch in his eyes, a bite on his lips, or even something as little as a single drop of sweat. Futile.

I am by no means a medical expert, but after the 27th stitch, I did start wondering if all that was really necessary. It probably wasn’t.

“Tch.”

Leaving both needles stuck in Hitoe’s hand, Karin turned to me.

“What about you?”

Gulping, I shook my head.

“Oh, uh, no, I, uh, I’ll be fine.”

They both grinned devilishly. And that was how I realized my dearest brother had brought me to that girl on purpose. I really am a bit on the slow side.

As I glared at Hitoe, he got up and walked over to me.

“You’re welcome, my friend.”

“I didn’t thank you.”

As I raised an eyebrow, Hitoe crossed his arms.

“Is that so? And here I thought I was doing you a favor. Don’t you like bossy women?”

“Ye—NO, I just always get involved with them.”

I didn’t mean to say that out loud, but Hitoe seems to be the kind of person who reads people’s faces like books anyway.

Karin tapped her feet on the floor impatiently, clenching her teeth.

“Quit your babblin’, I wanna see some tears!!”

Sighing, Hitoe closed his eyes and took a deep, theatrical breath before he looked at me again and then glanced at the exit.

“I’ll buy you some time.”

--------------------------------------------

…After returning from the little trip down memory lane, my glove is completely stained. And to top it off, the stinging pain brings me to my knees this time.

“Agh, what the…”

My bleeding hand twitches and I grab my wrist, unable to think clearly. Blood downright pours from my wound, occasionally in clumps, leaving nasty stains on the floor.

Breathing heavily, I lose the strength to remain on my knees. I’d felt perfectly fine for hours, but now—Is my body rejecting mortal blood?

I can faintly see my blood flow towards the opposite corner of the storage room, no matter how impossible that seems. I try to scream, hoping to ease the pain, but I can’t make a single sound.

Feeling a stinging pain in my neck, my vision turns black for a second. Two seconds. Three seconds.

Then suddenly, everything is the way it was before. No stains to see anywhere, like nothing ever happened. The cut is still there when I take off my gloves to check, but somehow, it’s not bleeding.

First thing that comes to mind is me reliving someone else’s death, but what in the world triggered it!?

“—That’s why I’m here.”

…Right, I’m here for a different reason tonight.

As I get up and grab two bottles of wine from the shelves, I can hear Lady Aurora take a sip from the specific blood type she ordered. And Hitoe’s stupid chuckle.

“Still, I wonder why the princess herself is so interested in this case.”

I head back upstairs and put the bottles on the counter.

“It’s mostly about the killer, really. I know I can’t take over the world all by myself, so I’m looking for recruits.”

She’s surprisingly professional about this.

“And more dead bodies are always a plus.”

God damn it.

Hanging my head, I breathe in deeply and--

“Here.”

“Eeek!!”

Suddenly, Heather stands next to me, looking ready to scold me again. She shoves a tray with caramel desserts on it right in my hands and crosses her arms.

“You have a terrible habit of showing up unexpectedly.”

“Well, you have a terrible habit of being a wimp.”

Point taken.

“You know, you’ve barely done a thing, but everyone’s thrilled to see you.”

“Eh?”

Clumsily balancing the tray on one hand, I check my phone. My debt level is… actually decreasing. Not by a large amount, but it’s noticeable enough.

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 749982.png
Heather Heraios said:
Get back to work.

Rolling my eyes, I put my phone back into my pants pocket. Might as well go on. I used to be a fairly decent waiter; it can’t be that hard now.

“Table 24. Now. And smile.”

Gulping, I glance over to my forced partners in crime to make sure neither of the two are looking in my direction.

“Ruling the world… is it? Now that’s quite the goal.”

“What can I say, I just love being in control.”

I look back at Heather, sweat running down my face.

“Am I smiling yet?”

http://nightmarereprise.weebly.com/uplo ... 6_orig.png

“…No.”

When I begin to feel Heather’s glares, I wordlessly sneak around the corner and bring the desserts. The couple at the table gives me a surprised look; the woman whispers to whom I assume to be her husband.

“Ooh, how quaint! I didn’t know they had Death serving here.”

Putting the puddings onto their respective plates, I give them my usual blank expression.

“They don’t.”

So at least I haven’t been noticed by everyone yet. And so I return to the counter, holding the tray up so I can hide behind it.

I’d probably attract less attention if I just hurried up a little, but at the same time I never expect my brain to come up with proper logic in stressful situations.

Naturally, Heather is more than ready to torment me with another order.

“And this time--”

Before she either gets to say “smile” or “hurry up” or “don’t be a useless piece of crap,” one of the other waiters leaves the kitchen.

“Heath, we’re all out of kitchen knives.”

Without a care in the world, she leans back as she turns to him.

“Guess I forgot to clean them.”

“You didn’t forget, you just couldn’t be assed to do it.”

He drops a large box of kitchen knives next to the sink and glares at her.

“Exactly. And I still can’t be assed to do it now.”

Sighing, the waiter looks at me.

“You look like you share my pain. Would you…?”

“I’m on it.”

He pats my shoulder as he heads past me to take more orders. Feels good to know I’m not the only one who’s completely miserable in here.

Filling the box with water, I begin to clean the knives carefully, occasionally checking my phone to watch my debts. Or the lack thereof.

Basically, I’m working on someone else’s shift, this is a relatively unpopular job, I’m helping one of my co-workers out and the knives are needed quickly. The network is so broken I’m pretty much down to zero debts by now.

“In that case, it would be best if we met again in my office. Tomorrow night, how’s that?”

“That works.”

Heather raises an eyebrow, probably wondering why I keep “randomly” changing my expression from looking pissed off to looking more pissed off.

Without saying a thing, she grabs the first batch of cleaned knives and carries them into the kitchen. So she does work occasionally.

“Then tomorrow, let us discuss our strategy as well.”

“What do you mean?”

When I look straight ahead, I can clearly see Hitoe’s seemingly innocent smile. First he talks me into cutting my hand, and what now?

“Ah, I’m sorry. I think I misworded that. What I mean is… I believe we may benefit from working together, even after this case.”

“Like how?”

I wash out the spots on the cleaning rag and move on with the largest knife of the bunch. It’s a miracle I haven’t accidentally opened up the cut on my hand yet.

“Like… if I become your right-hand man.”

Oh hell no.

For as long as I live, which hopefully won’t be for much longer, I’m Lady Aurora’s right-hand man.

“Well, I already have one.”

Exactly. So back off.

“But he’s kinda useless.”

Crap.

My right eye twitches as I rub the rag against the knife’s blade. Meanwhile, Hitoe leans over their table and gently holds Lady Aurora’s hand.

“You need someone worthy of your presence. Someone who appreciates you. I would be honored to be by your side as you achieve your goal.”

“We’ll see about that.”

“All I’m asking for is your consideration…”

Don’t say it.

“…Milady.”

Clenching my fists, I bash them against the countertop.

Wait.

Looking down at my hands, I realize I’m not holding anything. No cleaning rag. And most definitely no knife.

I check the box. The sink. The entire countertop. Still no knife.

But then where…

Uh-oh.

Uuuuuuh-ooooooooh.

Flinching, I stare at Hitoe and Lady Aurora’s table.

There it is.

The knife.

I threw it right into Hitoe’s head.

I literally threw it in anger and it’s stuck in his head and he’s lifelessly hunched over the table and Lady Aurora is still holding his hand, for crying out loud!!

The princess finally notices me and silently moves her lips. I reply equally silently, but it’s easy enough to read our thoughts as is.

“What the hell!?”

“It was an accident… Sort of!!”

She gets up at once and grabs Hitoe’s dead body before anyone notices something went incredibly wrong. Paying the table’s checkpoint no mind, she rushes outside.

Damn it.

“Something wrong?”

Damn it!!

As unexpectedly as ever, Heather stands next to me and has no intention of doing her job. I try to block her view. Futile.

“Eh? Hitoe left already?”

Left for quite some time, I’m afraid.

“That’s… er… well… You see… It’s…”

Heather doesn’t particularly seem to care. Not until she checks a program on her phone and realizes the service hasn’t been paid for yet.

“Huh? That’s weird. It’s not like him to just…”

She sighs.

“I’ll go find--”

“N-No!! You’re a busy woman, let me take care of that!!”

Without giving her a chance to object, I run towards the exit. Only to realize that Hitoe isn’t going to come back to pay, so I sheepishly walk to their table.

Heather watches me with her usual confusion – can’t blame her – as I reluctantly hold my phone up in front of the checkpoint.

And my debt is back to where it was before this mess.

“Did you--”

“Some other time, see ya!!”

I leave the restaurant as fast as I can. Out of breath, I look around, then Lady Aurora suddenly grabs me by my arm and drags me towards the meadow behind the building.

“What did you do that for!?”

“It wasn’t… I didn’t really… Well, sort of… Argh, when I thought that I’d kill to be there with you, that’s not what I meant!!”

“What!!”

“Nothing!!”

The princess leans over Hitoe’s lifeless body, lying in the meadow, and pulls the knife out of his head.

Huh.

I killed him.

This is really happening.

“…Ah-hah.”

Looking shocked, Lady Aurora turns around to me.

“Did you just…?”

Watching blood leak from Hitoe’s head, I can’t contain myself any longer.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH!!”

As my laughter probably resounds throughout the entire district, I even leave the great Lady Aurora herself speechless.

“Will you look at that!! Now he got his stupid perfection, didn’t he!! Like… Wham! Dead! Flawless!”

The princess doesn’t move in the slightest. She just blinks at me as I hold my stomach and wipe off my tears. Tears of joy.

Mere seconds of realization later, she joins my amusement.

“Geeeeeeeee-heh-heh!! Splendid! You really are the embodiment of death!!”

“Gya-hah-hah-hah-hah!! I heard him call you ‘Milady’ and that just flipped the switch!!”

Lady Aurora stops laughing at once. And she begins speaking in that deepened voice again.

“…What?”

Oops.

Shrinking back, I am my same old wimpy self again. I’m only a few seconds away from a punishment worse than death, I just know it.

“You were spying on us!?”

“Yeah… I mean, no! I mean, kind of… I mean… er…”

“What were you thinking!?”

“That he’s better off dead.”

We both look at him, then back at each other.

“I was right.”

Having a conversation with a maniac is tough, isn’t it, princess?

“This isn’t the time for villain jokes!!”

“But it was a good one.”

“Yes, but do you think we’ll get anywhere in this stupid murder case without his help!?”

Lady Aurora pulls me back over to Hitoe’s body and uses the kind-of-accidental murder weapon to make a small cut on my wrist.

“Ow! What are you doing…?”

She presses my wounded wrist against Hitoe’s and uses her other hand to make that odd bright-red light appear again.

“I’ll revive him.”

“But--”

“Shut up.”

Lady Aurora squeezes my arm, mumbling something about a “sacrifice of life,” whatever that means for me.

“You’ll obey him as well from now on.”

Him!?”

I try to move, but she won’t let me.

“Y-You can’t be serious! You don’t like him either, do you!?”

Her voice gets significantly more quiet as the light grows even brighter and surrounds Hitoe’s wrist.

“This is entirely your fault. I don’t need a right-hand man I can’t trust.”

“I was trying to protect you, Aurora!”

The light manifests into a wrist watch, and a second ring appears on her right hand. Glaring at me, the princess lets go of both our arms.

Lady… Aurora.”

Sighing, she gets up and tells me to do the same. She looks deep into my eyes, keeping me in suspense, but eventually, an honest smile adorns her face.

“You should be glad you showed me how much of a lunatic you really are.”

“That was just… I can’t help it! I am Death, you know!”

Grinning, Lady Aurora puts the knife away.

“I still have to punish you, but I think reviving him should be enough.”

“More than enough.”

“Don’t push your luck.”

“S-Sorry.”

Closing her eyes, Lady Aurora initiates the ceremony of revival. Now that I think about it, perhaps she feels like she has to involve him in some sort of contract.

We have our very own ethics after all. Not even that “sadistic super villain” messes with the balance of life and death as she pleases.

“To break the barricade of the neverending void and misery of life, I call upon the human soul known by the name of Hitoe… Hitoeee...”

She stops abruptly and opens her eyes, immediately checking her phone.

“What was his name again…”

Slapping my forehead, I hang my head in disappointment. Just when I thought things were about to get serious here.

Lady Aurora turns to me and gives me a thumbs up, then she closes her eyes again and starts over.

“To break the barricade of the neverending void and misery of life, I call upon the human soul known by the name of Hitoe Naritomo. By the sacrificial blood of…”

When she gives me another confused look, I sigh.

“What now?”

“Actually, I’m not sure if that works. I mean, resurrection requires a sacrifice of life, but you’re Death. That doesn’t really make sense.”

“Please just get this over with.”

Shrugging, Lady Aurora makes some theatrical gestures and speeds up the process.

“Blah blah misery of life, blah blah sacrificial blood, blah blah candle of renewed existence, blah blah other metaphors, blah blah for I am Lady Aurora de Rondeau and my word is law. Rise.”

As usual, her little magic tricks include weird lights, but this time, it almost seems like they’re confused as to what’s happening.

“I kind of expected necromancy to be more… noble than that.”

“Will you stop complaining already!?”

When we hear the grass rustle, we immediately stop fighting and lean over Hitoe as he opens his eyes. I can’t believe it actually worked.

“Oh. Hey pal.”

“I’m not your pal.”

He gets up like nothing happened, but clearly has no idea what is going on.

“What are we doing here?”

As the lights disappear completely, Lady Aurora begins to stagger. It may not have seemed that way, but necromancy must be exhausting.

“Ahh, my head is spinning…”

Likewise, Hitoe holds his head and rubs over his wound.

“I feel kind of… bleedy. Strange.”

He looks at his hand and turns pale, but still smiles.

“Oh. I’m going to… lie down a bit.”

Both Lady Aurora and Hitoe pass out at the same time, falling against me and pushing me onto the ground along with them.

Sigh.

The misery of life, indeed.

chapter 1: end.

Return to “Creative works”