Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There

Enjoyed one of our teasers? tell us here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading "Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There" ?

It was good! Please do more!
99%
It was interesting.
0%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 204

wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There

Post by wellis »

Doraneko wrote:
wellis wrote:Doraneko thanks for the information about the tanks and magic.

Is there a reason why it took some time for the JSDF to push the invaders back through the gate? I remember reading somewhere that it took about a week to do so. Is there any information or excerpts from the books that talk about the initial invasion and how the JSDF fought it off?
It was basically a problem of logistic, international politics and bureaucracy rather than military strength. The surprise attack by the brutal soldiers of the Empire pushed deep into Tokyo city, while the police were too unprepared for such sudden and large-scale military attack. When the JSDF finally got a yes to move, it quickly gained control of the city and pushed the enemy troops back to the Gate within the first day.

JSDF's retaliation through the Gate started seven days after for the reasons stated above. The first major and fair battle between the two sides, took place in the fantasy world, ended within two days with the Empire suffering great losses.

And yes of course the fightings are mentioned in detail in the book. The resident otaku leader, who was shopping for comics at that time, got some cool points during the first wave of surprise attack. He calmly used his military authority to command the police officers and diverted panicking pedestrians into an ancient castle city inside the palace area. The traditional castle defences worked perfectly against the medieval troops and they successfully held on with minimal deaths/injuries until the JSDF forces came.
Was there any help from the US in the battle? I know there's a US naval base only 30 miles from Tokyo located near Yokosuka.
Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Introduction and questions

Post by Doraneko »

wellis wrote:Was there any help from the US in the battle? I know there's a US naval base only 30 miles from Tokyo located near Yokosuka.
Doraneko wrote:The trigger-happy US president (obviously a parody of Bush) initially planned to involve militarily, but was pushed back by his advisers due to the strain of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The US was also slightly suspicious at Japan and worried that a joint US-Japan expedition would have detrimental consequences if Japan ended up doing anything funky. The final conclusion was only to assist by providing arms and ammunitions, but the president made it clear that the US must watch closely and take military action if necessary, as well as actively involve in any research being taken place in the area so as to secure future development contracts.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Is it me or parodies of American presidents are present in fairly a good number of mangas/LN.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I stopped reading Air Gear because of that.

And then I started looking at it again for the pretty art.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
garakuta
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by garakuta »

voted for a "yes" :lol:

and I'm wondering how many pages are per volume exactly? looking only by its price, it's already third time of what light novel costs. so I assume the pages also about 1000 pages? :o

and ah, I'm new here :)
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

garakuta wrote:voted for a "yes" :lol:

and I'm wondering how many pages are per volume exactly? looking only by its price, it's already third time of what light novel costs. so I assume the pages also about 1000 pages? :o

Welcome. :)

With around 500 pages in each book there are around 2000 pages in total. On top of that due to the larger print size, the number of words per page is much more than your typical light novel page. The word count (Japanese characters) is probably around 1.5 to 1.8 million.

It would certainly be a fun and enjoyable series to translate - if it the length wasn't that epic. To translate the whole thing within a reasonable time frame, you will need a team of at least 4 (one for each volume) and preferably 8 (two for each volume) experienced translators working simultaneously. Team members also need to be highly cooperative and vigorously cross check each other's work, due to the high possibility of inconsistencies caused by the large amount of fantasy terms and names. Ideally there should also be a military otaku in the team serving as a consultant, but I am certainly asking too much. :lol:

It will be great if someone here has some connections in the publishing industry and persuades them to seriously consider a localization. This is the author's first ever published work and he is totally incomparable with big names like Haruki Murakami (Norwegian Wood & etc) or even mid-tier writers like Nagaru Tanigawa (Haruhi). Logically there should be some leeway in regard to the licensing fees. There are Japanese elements in the story for sure, but the core of the story is still military x fantasy, an area which I think even Western novel readers would love.
wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

Doraneko wrote:
garakuta wrote:voted for a "yes" :lol:

Welcome. :)

With around 500 pages in each book there are around 2000 pages in total. On top of that due to the larger print size, the number of words per page is much more than your typical light novel page. The word count (Japanese characters) is probably around 1.5 to 1.8 million.

It would certainly be a fun and enjoyable series to translate - if it the length wasn't that epic. To translate the whole thing within a reasonable time frame, you will need a team of at least 4 (one for each volume) and preferably 8 (two for each volume) experienced translators working simultaneously. Team members also need to be highly cooperative and vigorously cross check each other's work, due to the high possibility of inconsistencies caused by the large amount of fantasy terms and names. Ideally there should also be a military otaku in the team serving as a consultant, but I am certainly asking too much. :lol:

It will be great if someone here has some connections in the publishing industry and persuades them to seriously consider a localization. This is the author's first ever published work and he is totally incomparable with big names like Haruki Murakami (Norwegian Wood & etc) or even mid-tier writers like Nagaru Tanigawa (Haruhi). Logically there should be some leeway in regard to the licensing fees. There are Japanese elements in the story for sure, but the core of the story is still military x fantasy, an area which I think even Western novel readers would love.
Would it be easier if this team decided to focus on one novel at a time for translation? Like only focus on the first novel for translation and after that, work on the second, and so on.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

wellis wrote:Would it be easier if this team decided to focus on one novel at a time for translation? Like only focus on the first novel for translation and after that, work on the second, and so on.
Well as long as there is enough manpower, how to divide the work isn't that much of a problem. If you only manage to get one translator interested, you don't even need to consider this issue. :lol:

Though I personally still think having four or even eight different people simultaneously translating one single volume is a sure-fire way to create communication troubles, inconsistencies and absurdities (especially the first volume which provides concepts and terms that serve as the foundation to succeeding volumes), unless there is proper top-down management and very close cooperation among the members.

If you have two translators, then yeah, let both of them work on vol. 1. I think two to three people is optimal for the simultaneous translation work for each volume of Gates. Starting from the fourth guy, you will likely experience diminishing marginal returns, and that is when you can gain efficiency by letting one or two translators work on vol 2 instead.
wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

Doraneko wrote:
wellis wrote:Would it be easier if this team decided to focus on one novel at a time for translation? Like only focus on the first novel for translation and after that, work on the second, and so on.
Well as long as there is enough manpower, how to divide the work isn't that much of a problem. If you only manage to get one translator interested, you don't even need to consider this issue. :lol:

Though I personally still think having four or even eight different people simultaneously translating one single volume is a sure-fire way to create communication troubles, inconsistencies and absurdities (especially the first volume which provides concepts and terms that serve as the foundation to succeeding volumes), unless there is proper top-down management and very close cooperation among the members.

If you have two translators, then yeah, let both of them work on vol. 1. I think two to three people is optimal for the simultaneous translation work for each volume of Gates. Starting from the fourth guy, you will likely experience diminishing marginal returns, and that is when you can gain efficiency by letting one or two translators work on vol 2 instead.
Alright. One more question, can you show the scenes where Rori Mercury, Leilei La Lalena, and Duka Luna Marceau are met by the protagonist? Also can you post the scene where the Emperor realizes the invasion attempt was a failure?
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

wellis wrote:Alright. One more question, can you show the scenes where Rori Mercury, Leilei La Lalena, and Duka Luna Marceau are met by the protagonist? Also can you post the scene where the Emperor realizes the invasion attempt was a failure?
Sorry, but asking for four separated scenes, each with a substantial length, may be a bit too much. :(

Right now I have other personal commitments. But I may show you the Duka or the Emperor scene later.

Anyway I only have enough time to bring you some lulz - from the 2ch thread of Gates

182 :Anon-who-got-tricked-by-the-cover-art:2011/05/18(WED) 16:22:53.18 ID:+MtDBbPA
  From now on lets talk about how Rori poops.

184 :Anon-who-got-tricked-by-the-cover-art:2011/05/18(WED) 18:39:46.77 ID:EeBGPDfh
  >>182
  Even Her Majesty poops. The end product is bestowed as gold to her subordinates. Of course the subordinates cry in joy.

185 :Anon-who-got-tricked-by-the-cover-art:2011/05/18(WED) 18:52:41.49 ID:QEem6RrE
  >>182
  I'm also very interested in that.
  That's why I've installed a camera in the office as well as the loo of Rori Her Majesty (and incidentally the loos in Lelei and Duka's rooms as well).
  I'm gonna recover the camera tonight & upload the pics so juz wait a bit.

190 :Anon-who-got-tricked-by-the-cover-art:2011/05/18(WED) 19:53:32.08 ID:VWEbGCb1
 >>185: HIGYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!
  Kid A: Eh!? A cry? Seems like it's from Lelei Nee-san's home.
  Kid B: Maybe that's a pervert who randomly breaks into houses for sex?
  Kid A: Impossible. Don't you know if you get into Nee-san's house without permission, all kinds of curses and magic and anti-magic and charms will be activated against you?
  Kid B: Oh... Sorry for that guy then.
 Rori HM: Tee-hee-hee. No pro~blem. At the very least I d~o make sure that you won't die from this~. *giggles*

191 : 【TEPCO 74.6 %】 Ninja Memo 【Lv=1,xxxP】 :2011/05/18(THU) 20:05:00.74 ID:roWOllbm
  Is >>185 an M?
wellis
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wellis »

Someone was able to translate part of the prologue from the 1st sample pages:
Originally Posted by Prologue 1, first part
20××, Summer

According to records, the day was humid and hot.
The temperature exceeded 30°C, the level of humidity was high too, and due to the influence of a heat island the streets had turned into a scorching hell.
Nevertheless, it was Saturday. Lots of people went to the city centre and had fun buying things or window shopping.

11:50 am

The sun was approaching the zenith, and when it seemed like the temperature would reach a new record, in Ginza, central ward of the Tokyo metropolitan area, suddenly a "Gate to Another World" appeared.
Knights and infantry that, from the looks of their armor, seemed to be straight from medieval Europe came pouring out. And then... What came then seemed like it belonged into a fantasy story or movie: Fantastical beings like orcs, goblins and trolls.
They charged the people that, by chance, happened to be present.
Young and old, men and women, no matter the race or nationality, slaughtering everyone seemed to be their objective.
The people, having gotten used to this peaceful country in these peaceful times, had no way to resist. In this pandemonium of shrieks, one by one they fell.
The shoppers, the parents with their children, and tourists from overseas, one by one they were trampled down under horse's hooves, pierced by lances and cut down by swords.
Heaps of corpses covered the streets, and the asphalt of Ginza turned the dark red colour of blood. "Hell" would have been a fitting title for the scene.
The troops of the other world stacked even more corpses on top of the piled up ones. Then, on this hill of meat, a jet black battle flag was hoisted. And with their loud voices, in their own language, they declared this place conquered and in their possession.
Although, since there was nobody to listen to them, it was a one-sided proclamation of war.

"The Ginza Incident"

This is what history would later call this touching of the other world with ours.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

So Doraneko that was actually a translation from the book? Wouldnt you like to create a teaser page for that? :twisted:
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

wellis wrote:Someone was able to translate part of the prologue from the 1st sample pages:
The translation looks quite decent to me.

So is the translator going to fight against this Goliath of a series as a sole individual? I salute him for his dedication and commitment. He seriously deserves credit instead of just being randomly called a "someone". :)

Darklor wrote:So Doraneko that was actually a translation from the book? Wouldnt you like to create a teaser page for that? :twisted:
I translated some random snippets which I am not sure if they qualified as teasers (is there any requirement anyway?) As for the prologue translation above me, if possible I would see if I could say a Hi to its translator first and see if he is okay with it being posted on a B-T teaser page.

Thanks anyway. :)
RndCodeGen
Astral Realm

Post by RndCodeGen »

Greetings.

I'm the one who translated that bit of prologue. Figured I might as well sign up here too.
Doraneko wrote:The translation looks quite decent to me.
That's reassuring. :)
So is the translator going to fight against this Goliath of a series as a sole individual? I salute him for his dedication and commitment. He seriously deserves credit instead of just being randomly called a "someone". :)
Ah, not quite. Translating the whole thing is a bit of a scary prospect. For now, I intend to try and slowly work my way through that ~60 page sample. We'll see how that goes. I guess, it's a bit of an experiment and challenge to myself and in the worst case it'll be a learning experience.

Although I have to say, if somebody else appears and wishes to help or take over that's perfectly fine with me too.
As for the prologue translation above me, if possible I would see if I could say a Hi to its translator first and see if he is okay with it being posted on a B-T teaser page.
Sure, that's fine with me.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

RndCodeGen wrote:Ah, not quite. Translating the whole thing is a bit of a scary prospect. For now, I intend to try and slowly work my way through that ~60 page sample. We'll see how that goes. I guess, it's a bit of an experiment and challenge to myself and in the worst case it'll be a learning experience.
No worries. Just take your time and enjoy the ride. I am sure you will be able to handle the translation work.

Do give me a poke if you need any help. :)

Btw I have just created the project page.

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ught_There

Return to “Teaser Feedback”