Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How was this volume?

It's Haruhiist Heaven!
81%
Its ok
15%
It could be better
4%
It's bad
No votes
It's an Insult!
No votes
A part of me died
No votes

Total votes: 73

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

Post by onizuka-gto »

Discuss everything concerning the first volume here.

Is it good? bad? OK? Tell us what you think.
Last edited by onizuka-gto on Sun May 13, 2007 5:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
Runningkid
Astral Realm

Post by Runningkid »

Brilliant!! At 1st i started reading it coz of the anime, now i prefer the books. Thanks for translating :D
Zakarum
Astral Realm

Post by Zakarum »

This first volume was a really great read. Thank you for the fast translation and imense amount of work you put in this project.
darkfire
Astral Realm

Post by darkfire »

Great volume. I was looking forward to reading the novels in order but they seem to jump around alot.
Last edited by darkfire on Fri May 12, 2006 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abraandham
Astral Realm

Post by abraandham »

I liked it a lot. I wouldn't mind if it ended at this volume. The relationship between Kyon and Haruhi was just as i liked it. ^_^
dogtato
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by dogtato »

I think the anime presents it all more entertainingly, so compared to the show the book is ok.
Anon
Astral Realm

Post by Anon »

A part of me died. ;_; Tragic stories tend to do that to me, and I found there to be a notable element of tragedy in this one. (see spoiler below)
Spoiler! :
I find that the Asahina-Kyon relationship is pretty tragic in the first novel. I mean, geez, if Kyon gets close too to Asahina--or if Haruhi somehow becomes too jealous/upset--then the world gets destroyed? This seems to be implied, and I have to say that really sucks! Kyon and Asahina seem to like each other, so they both get screwed--it's either that or the entire world gets screwed.

Another interpretation is that the world doesn't become destroyed, but Kyon and Haruhi simply become transported to a different world of Haruhi's creation. This seems implied by the fact that Koizumi and Nagato were still communicating with Kyon while they were in the Sealed Reality near the end of the novel. This is still a pretty sucky situation. Kyon's world may not be destroyed, but he still never gets to see anyone from that world again. I empathize with him so much.

If Haruhi weren't so likable, I'd dislike her so much. As it is, I'm left with a bout of cognitive dissonance.
I wonder how these tragic elements will play out in future volumes. I hope I get to read them. I really loved the first novel, even though it makes my heart ache a bit.
GDsMDDLFNGR
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by GDsMDDLFNGR »

I salute you guys for all the effort you're putting into this! :D I enjoyed the series so much that I ended up ordering all the 8 books so far. 8) Thanks and keep up the good work!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

*sniffs around for more active translators*

i think...i smell something!... :D
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
darkfire
Astral Realm

Post by darkfire »

onizuka-gto wrote:*sniffs around for more active translators*

sig theif ^_^.
It seems that things have slowed down a bit. Maybe cause school is over. And people are under their parents watchful I.

ON topic: I love more and more. I suzumiya is hot by the way. oh yah Yuki is hot without her glasses
dogtato
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by dogtato »

darkfire wrote:
onizuka-gto wrote:*sniffs around for more active translators*

sig theif ^_^.
It seems that things have slowed down a bit. Maybe cause school is over. And people are under their parents watchful I.

ON topic: I love more and more. I suzumiya is hot by the way. oh yah Yuki is hot without her glasses
:?
(at grammar, not content)
Sleeper
Astral Realm

Post by Sleeper »

It was quite good!
I've become obsessed.
Thanks to all who worked on the translations!

:D
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

Why thank you. It is quite good, isn't it?

"Why are you bragging?" — Miss Kurosawa from Azumanga Daioh

:P

I actually didn't work on the translation—I'm just goofing off
Sleeper
Astral Realm

Post by Sleeper »

SubordinateFive wrote:Why thank you. It is quite good, isn't it?

"Why are you bragging?" — Miss Kurosawa from Azumanga Daioh

:P

I actually didn't work on the translation—I'm just goofing off
HAHA, sorry! Americans aren't taught grammar [we's be teh stoopid], especially us finance guys.

Anyhow, yah -- stop bragging. :lol:
Otanga
Astral Realm

Post by Otanga »

I jusst wanted to say Thank you for your awesome work!! ^__^ keep it up! xD

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”