Wha...? *Possible Spoilers

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Wha...? *Possible Spoilers

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Volume 6: Charmed at First Sight
"I pedaled on my bike and headed towards that holy ground for queer people, the park in front of the station near Nagato's apartment complex."

He's referring to the park where alot of the story takes place. How did he come to nickname it that? :?
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Because that tends to be place where he learns strange things.

i.e: Asahina told him she was a time-traveller there, Nagato asked to meet him there in Vol. 1, time travel always ends up there... etc. etc.

Hence, holy ground for queer people.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Armanewb
Astral Realm

Post by Armanewb »

Though admittedly the word 'queer' might be taken a bit strangely :P
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Yeah the word queer should be changed from that line. Make it into "odd" or something, queer is used as "gay" or "homosexual" mainly by North American English society. I'm no so sure about the UK but I think that word should be changed.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Agreed. :?
Ari
Astral Realm

Post by Ari »

I think it should stay. Queer means strange, and I personally think changing the word because of other connotations that have been added relatively recently in its usage is an insult to it. Particularly as it is still used for its original meaning.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

but no body uses that word anymore. It's outdated. I think it should be changed to odd.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I'm fine with using "queer". "Odd" is a word that's used a lot, and over using words can damper their effect.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Haiyami wrote:but no body uses that word anymore. It's outdated. I think it should be changed to odd.
I guess me, my roommates, my family, and everyone else who speaks English outside of the US of A should change our names to "no body".
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Kenotic
Astral Realm

Post by Kenotic »

"Queer" is quite fine, and probably what I'd call a place like that. We can't be like Bevis and Butthead every time a unique turn of a phrase shows up in a story (huh huh....Kyon said "wand.")

Besides, I still hear people call counterfeit money "queer." I think its use is justified.
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

I use queer to mean odd from time to time.

"God, how queer!"

In fact since the term's adoption by the GLB community, I think most people would be wary to use it in any other context.
Ari
Astral Realm

Post by Ari »

I use queer all the time. I've been known to come over queer, and sometimes queer things happen around me. In fact, I don't know very many people who don't use it properly. There is no way it is an outdated word.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

I don't know about you Yanks, but I hear people use "queer" quote often while I was in England. Go ahead and change it if you desire to.
Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

Post by Garstansinilliam »

Umiman wrote:
Haiyami wrote:but no body uses that word anymore. It's outdated. I think it should be changed to odd.
I guess me, my roommates, my family, and everyone else who speaks English outside of the US of A should change our names to "no body".
I'm British, and I don't use 'queer' to mean odd. Neither does anyone else I know use it non-ironically.

But I giggle stupidly at lines like this in the translation, so I say keep it in.
Stratosphere
Astral Realm

Post by Stratosphere »

"Queer"'s original meaning meant strange or odd. Its meaning has been warped over time.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”