If there was a financial incentive given to translators...

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

typhonsentra
Astral Realm

If there was a financial incentive given to translators...

Post by typhonsentra »

Would that help speed up the process at all? Like say, if someone (Like) was willing to donate money through Paypal? I appreciate all the hard work everyone is putting into it, but I'm really anxious to see what happens next in the various books in the collection that aren't completed and I'm running out of material to looks at. :(

And if anyone was interested in this deal, how much "Incentive" would be required?
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Yeah a incentive would be a excellent idea! It'd attract more translators too. Unfortunately I'm too young for a bank account or a pay pall account :roll:
But unless you can find enough people willing to pay, you wont be able to collect a lot of cash. Take this for example: 1 in every.. say 500 will pay. There are.. I don't know, say 10000 readers? Each one of those 1 people pay 5$ each, thats only 100$.

But still, putting up a paypall link on the main page would be nice! Doesn't hurt to try atleast.
jinalbert
Astral Realm

Post by jinalbert »

Given the quality, I thought they are doing at a decent pace.

Money might work in the short run, but I doubt it's going to work over all. Ten to fifteen dollars a month (or less) is not exactly a big offer to woo translators. Beside, I would hate to see poorly translated story from the people who barely understand Japanese.

Translating the story well is not an easy task. It involved not just translating, but re-writing to make sense of the story(grammar, style, format, flow, etc.). Of course, this is an additional to school and/or working and/or life and/or hobbies.

Anyway, I think it's better to do other things for translator if you really want to encourage them.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Such as what? By the way, I was thinking more along the lines of $100, not $15.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I'm not sure about it, it'll become more of a chore, and less of a hobby.

And when a hobby starts feeling like work...welll time to find a real hobby.

:roll:

besides how would this work? every time they publish a translationthey get paid?

That still doesn't put any incentive to translate faster, or if you pay a set amount over a period, its not a hobbie anymore... :roll:

Everyone likes money, but sometimes.....it's a better place without it....
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

I was thinking of giving it to you since you're the project leader, and allowing you to do what you please with it, but I understand if you don't want this project to involve any compensation. Sorry for the trouble.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Actually the project leader is thelastgaurdian. Oni is only the project editor supervisor, as well at the main site and forum admin.

We should use paypall donations and get a .com for baka tsuki! Why? even though wiki is cool and all, because we CAN!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

lol.

:D

The compensation we get from this, is the knowledge that everyone here enjoys the work that we bring, and that in some sadistic way you are all suffering when we take so long, yet so grateful when it does come out. :p

As long as you keep posting those half happy/half-suffering post, it's worth it's weight in gold to our ears.

:wink:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

money plus translating might lead to law suits.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Haiyami wrote:money plus translating might lead to law suits.
I was thinking the same thing, that's why I wanted to do it under the table.
jinalbert
Astral Realm

Post by jinalbert »

What table? :!:

The money trail is everywhere when you are on the net :twisted:

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”