Yare yare?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Yare yare?

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Reading through the novels, it appears there's no standardized translation of Kyon's characteristic catchphrase.

I've seen it translated as "Oh boy..." "My, my", and the original "Yare yare". (There's probably others, too, but I haven't seen them.)

Shouldn't we have a single standard translation of that line? I realize it can mean many things, (most of which seem to have to do with exasperation) but Kyon himself refers to it as a "catchphrase" and it really isn't one if it's translated differently every time it appears.

Thoughts?
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

I guess we could go with how the anime dub does it. I haven't seen it myself, but I heard that's it's pretty good.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

O/T: The dub was, IMHO, a severe disappointment. I give them credit for not raping the original audio tracks like they do with more mainstream series, but the American VAs lack character compared to the originals. Just my $0.02.

Regarding translations, I see no reason to strictly define "yare yare" - if it has multiple interpretations, then the most appropriate interpretation should be used on a case by case basis. This isn't like a proper noun or trademark expression that should be consistent to establish pattern and character, it's just a regular expression.
=Smidge=
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

Usually, the American voice actors make me want to rip my ears off.

Another reason with fansubs > dubbing......

PIRACY FTW!

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Smidge204 wrote:O/T: The dub was, IMHO, a severe disappointment. I give them credit for not raping the original audio tracks like they do with more mainstream series, but the American VAs lack character compared to the originals. Just my $0.02.

Regarding translations, I see no reason to strictly define "yare yare" - if it has multiple interpretations, then the most appropriate interpretation should be used on a case by case basis. This isn't like a proper noun or trademark expression that should be consistent to establish pattern and character, it's just a regular expression.
=Smidge=
Again, he's even said it's his catchphrase. And he says it a LOT.

Also, "my my" sounds incredibly stupid.

Personally, I wouldn't bother translating it at all, but...
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Beware the talking cat »

I've never been a fan of fixed in translations like that. There are times when a phrase is better translated as something else to communicate the meaning more clearly.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Beware the talking cat wrote:I've never been a fan of fixed in translations like that. There are times when a phrase is better translated as something else to communicate the meaning more clearly.
I'm all for that, but can you even imagine Kyon saying "my, my?"

I think "Oh, well" would be better.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Beware the talking cat wrote:I've never been a fan of fixed in translations like that. There are times when a phrase is better translated as something else to communicate the meaning more clearly.
I'm all for that, but can you even imagine Kyon saying "my, my?"

I think "Oh, well" would be better.
Or just replace it with a region English version, i.e. British Yorkshire Version:

Kyon: "Bollocks?"

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

"Good grief"
-Charlie Brown
How Charles Schultz translated the phrase yare yare when he translated Penuts from Japanese to English.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Beware the talking cat wrote:
"Good grief"
-Charlie Brown
How Charles Schultz translated the phrase yare yare when he translated Penuts from Japanese to English.
Actually, that'd be an excellent translation.

It, too, can be used in various ways, with different meanings depending on the situation and tone of voice.
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

if you all want it that way it can be set into motion pretty quickly...

personally thought good grief sounded best.
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

If they had scouser accents or Dublin accents, it would be acceptable.

Otherwise, I'll stick with the subs...
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

I like the "no stock translation" idea. I caught a recent scanlation (I think it was Bleach?) where someone complained that "Kusoooooo!!!" (which I believe a number of us who don't even know Japanese know is usually translated directly to something that starts with an "S-" and ends with a "-hiiiiiiiit") was translated to "Da** yooouuuu!!" instead. While the scatalogical version is more "accurate", the term was used as a general angry curse, as it often is in Engllsh, and the situation involved actually fit the latter translation better.

While "Good grief" is a fairly accurate translation behind the feeling of the "yare yare" phrase, I think there are phrases that would work more ("You're kidding me...", "Aw, man...", "Oh, boy...", etc.) depending on the context.

Just my ¥2.226...
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

quigonkenny wrote:I like the "no stock translation" idea. I caught a recent scanlation (I think it was Bleach?) where someone complained that "Kusoooooo!!!" (which I believe a number of us who don't even know Japanese know is usually translated directly to something that starts with an "S-" and ends with a "-hiiiiiiiit") was translated to "Da** yooouuuu!!" instead. While the scatalogical version is more "accurate", the term was used as a general angry curse, as it often is in Engllsh, and the situation involved actually fit the latter translation better.

While "Good grief" is a fairly accurate translation behind the feeling of the "yare yare" phrase, I think there are phrases that would work more ("You're kidding me...", "Aw, man...", "Oh, boy...", etc.) depending on the context.

Just my ¥2.226...
But not "my, my."

Please.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:But not "my, my."

Please.
Oh...no. If he's going to be saying "My, my," he might as well start calling Itsuki a "silly goose". Now Itsuki, on the other hand...there's a "My, my" kind of guy for you... ^_^

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”