2 question

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

asqwzx wrote:
am i the only one that think haruhi act like a bi*** (im still in book 2) and can i hope to like her in the next books ??
Even though Haruhi's behavior has always been erratic and pushy to say the least, I think that deep down she has usually had some sort of logical/emotional reason for her actions. She may come off as not the greatest person to be around, but if you look beyond what is on the surface, you will find much more.

As for the release, I understand completely about the finance thing. Businesses run that way, and it really makes me want to cry sometimes.
Matt_TY
Astral Realm

Post by Matt_TY »

AuraTwilight wrote:If anything, all of these characters seems like we're being set up for a grand finale, myself, and there's no guarantee that Slider-tan will even actually join the Brigade. A lot of your reasoning for more books is kind've built on assumptions.

Anyway, I personally see a lead-up, since it seems that Haruhi's power will be transferred to Sasaki in at least ONE timeline, which will effectively conclude the story in that, and/or both, timelines, depending on how things turn out. Even if Haruhi did keep her powers and we had new Brigade members and yadda yadda, they could always just wrap up at a convenient dramatic point and end with "And so, they had many, many adventures."
Hmm, I dunno about that. It's not been mentioned in Alphaverse at all, and in Betaverse Kyon appears to be ready to tell Kyoko to go jump.

The "many, many adventures" line would seem to be a pretty cheap way of ending it too, given that a few of the novels have _been_ collections of "many many adventures".

Don't get me wron, I think it's possible that 10 or 11 might wrap it up (or then again it might not), but... I doubt it'd happen that way.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Matt_TY wrote:
Hmm, I dunno about that. It's not been mentioned in Alphaverse at all, and in Betaverse Kyon appears to be ready to tell Kyoko to go jump.
Exactly my point. I don't see the connection between the whole "two worlds" thing and the other plot threads the series has spun in other books.
Matt_TY wrote: The "many, many adventures" line would seem to be a pretty cheap way of ending it too, given that a few of the novels have _been_ collections of "many many adventures".
Speaking of those collections, does anyone else besides me VASTLY prefer the short story books to the arc ones?
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Frankly, I generally prefer the longer stories to the shorter ones because somehow the shorter ones seem to go on forever. I could never quite understand this phenomenon, but it just happens. It is weird like that. However, I do think that the second novel would have been better if it was shorter. Also, the shorter stories tend to have some better plot twists with a deeper philosophical understanding. Yet, at the same time, I get the feeling that the longer ones lend to the coherency of the entire series more. I cannot quite put my finger on some of the logistics, but the longer novels just tend to work better for me.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

It's because with the full book stories, you know it'll lead to something significant, usually a development in a relationship between Kyon and one of the girls. No guarantees with the short stories.
*Cough*WhereDidTheCatGo?*Cough*
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

typhonsentra wrote:It's because with the full book stories, you know it'll lead to something significant, usually a development in a relationship between Kyon and one of the girls. No guarantees with the short stories.
*Cough*WhereDidTheCatGo?*Cough*
I actually liked that story...
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yeah, I liked it, too, but it seemed to be slower than many of his other short stories. It was also like a re-hash of Lone Island Syndrome. I like how he comes back to elaborate on older material, but sometimes he does it to his detriment. That story in particular did not have the feeling like it needed to go any further.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Yeah, I liked it, too, but it seemed to be slower than many of his other short stories. It was also like a re-hash of Lone Island Syndrome. I like how he comes back to elaborate on older material, but sometimes he does it to his detriment. That story in particular did not have the feeling like it needed to go any further.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

ainsoph9 wrote:Yeah, I liked it, too, but it seemed to be slower than many of his other short stories. It was also like a re-hash of Lone Island Syndrome. I like how he comes back to elaborate on older material, but sometimes he does it to his detriment. That story in particular did not have the feeling like it needed to go any further.
Hmm, well, it did have some development for Koizumi. And that's always a good thing.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:Speaking of those collections, does anyone else besides me VASTLY prefer the short story books to the arc ones?
I'm an arc junkie, so I much prefer the longer stories, Volume 2 and Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody notwithstanding. To be precise:

1. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody
2. Disappearance (V4)
3. (tie) Intrigues (V7)
3. (tie) Melancholy (V1)
5. The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru
6. Dissociation (V9)
7. The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
8. Mystérique Sign
9. Charmed at First Sight LOVER
10. Editor in Chief★Straight Ahead!
11. Lone Island Syndrome
12. Endless Eight
13. Snow Mountain Syndrome
14. Sighs (V2)
15. Wandering Shadow
16. Where did the Cat Go?

As I'm sure you'll notice, both of the standalone stories that are in the top 5 are heavily arc-oriented, and most of the ones right below that either give some important backstory or motivation of the characters. Intrigues, while being arc-oriented, was a bit weak story-wise, but had a lot of Tsuruya, which is probably why it ranked so high. Sighs, while also having some Tsuruya (the initial Tsuruya, actually, by publication date), was also almost arc-free, and was fairly superfluous after the initial anime episode. Speaking of...

I'm witholding the following as their greatness in the anime has absolutely ruined them from being as enjoyable in any other form:

The Day of Sagittarius
Live A Live
Asahina Mikuru no Bouken Episode 00
Matt_TY
Astral Realm

Post by Matt_TY »

Yeah, some surprisingly significant plot points've come up in the short stories, with of course Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody the most significant of all.

As for the non-plot ones, they've typically been humorous enough to hold up on their own merit though. Although, I agree, kenny. Day of Sagittarius is so very great in the anime.
bakadesu
Astral Realm

Post by bakadesu »

in my opinion, i believe that the short stories would develop into plot arcs if the novel continues (crosses fingers and pray to kami-sama)... the snow mountain syndrome for example became the introduction of Nagato's enemy/ies and the wandering shadow must have an unforseen connection with kyon. The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru also tells something about kyon as to how he would affect the future.

and as mentioned earlier, these short stories help in character development and in sharing some laughs.
Sol Falling
Astral Realm

Post by Sol Falling »

hm...short stories versus long arcs? Strangely enough, I think I end up prefering the short stories as well...

well, basically, I wasn't much a fan of volume 7. I've gotta give credit where credit is due, though, for volumes 4 and 1, so I can't say I dislike reading the long arcs. However, short stories like Snow Mountain Syndrome, Editor in Chief Straight Ahead, Endless Eight, and Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody are still my favourite part of the series.

...hm, looking more closely at my choices, it seems I'm just a Haruhi x Kyon fanboy, lol. Well, seeing as the long arcs usually focus on developing one character and Haruhi hasn't been that character since volume 1, I guess my preferences are pretty easy to read.

Anyway, on the earlier discussion on volume 10 being the end of the series...although it's true I see some sort of build up in volume 9, the fact that volumes 9 and 10 are pretty much a single story could explain that without the series necessarily nearing resolution. At the very least, however, I don't see Haruhi giving up her power through any outside influence. The way Haruhi's powers have been connected to her personality, and the way the series has been set up as a study of Haruhi's character (indirectly, also Kyon's) and the way it changes...I'm seeing an ending where both her powers as the driving plot device and her character development must be connected.

Also, there's the consideration that all the short story arcs are written in the context of the SOS Brigade, meaning that as long as it still exists, Tanigawa can continue pumping out short story compilations. Given that the unity of the SOS Brigade has often been a theme in the latter novels, the resolution to the series I'm imagining involves the willing dissolution of the SOS Brigade, sparked by both the disappearance of Haruhi's powers and also Haruhi's maturation as a character, such that she realizes she no longer has to rely upon a strict environment where she is the leader to 'have fun'. Somewhere around the end of their second year, when Mikuru graduates. Assuming a second year in Haruhi's life would take around the same amount of paper as the first, then the second year would also be 8 volumes for a total of approximately 16.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

Speaking of which, I'm not exactly sure, but wasn't it mentioned in Snow Mountain Syndrome by Koizumi that Haruhi's powers might be diminishing?
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I believe it was mentioned, due to the fact that Haruhi is stabilizing over time. However, I do not think that Haruhi is the type to stabilize forever, even with growth as a character included.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”