Parents?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Parents?

Post by shichinanatsu »

not parents.. but i knew someone a couple like years back who acts like koizumi, but he is gay.. gives me the creeps when i remember him trying to go after one of the more handsome guys i knew back in high school.. other difference is that his philosophical opinions are easily trashed.. sometimes i can't help but do that to him to shut him up for a few days..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

...I'm gonna pretend you didn't just imply that gays were creepy.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

well to be honest, since i was 17yrs old, i haven't lived with my parents for more then four months.

And its nothing to do with anything funny with my family, just that i was the eldest, and that my parents worked abroad, so they just left me behind. :roll:

Then when my little sisters were old enough they came back for further education, one or two years then i moved out to rented space, and here i'm still in rented space. :roll:

seriously my mates have only ever seen my mum, and i can recall only one or two of them have seen her once or twice when she came over to check up on my little sisters, my mates at the home patch never ever seen my dad, except in photos i had lying around the family home at the time.

But then alot of my mates there had no dad either, but that wasn't because they "worked abroad" too.

So to be honest, i don't really see all the fuss about not seeing the parents around. :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
troqu
Astral Realm

Re:

Post by troqu »

quigonkenny wrote:
Haiyami wrote:-_-; There is no one that I know that resembles anyone from Haruhi novels.
Same here, although there is that one hawt Japanese high school girl I'm seeing with the ankle-length green hair and fang...

JK ^_^
I lol'd pretty hard. My best friend has the sarcasm to match kyon but he doesn't have enough of the seeming indifference down just yet.
Lumbargo
Astral Realm

Post by Lumbargo »

Oh. I thought this thread would be commentating on the apparent lack of parents at all in the Suzumiya Haruhi world. Especially further mention of Haruhi's family, which is something I've always been curious about.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Lumbargo wrote:Oh. I thought this thread would be commentating on the apparent lack of parents at all in the Suzumiya Haruhi world. Especially further mention of Haruhi's family, which is something I've always been curious about.
Second'd.
Giuss
Astral Realm

Post by Giuss »

Well, I know people that read books all the time and never talk... But they can't never be like Nagato... They aren't that cool...
And aren't pretty...

Ah, and I know one boy like Koizumi. He's insufferable. It's a pain in the ass. He always needs the true, and if he's wrong, start to talk, and talk, and talk.... and no one can stop him...
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Giuss wrote:Well, I know people that read books all the time and never talk... But they can't never be like Nagato... They aren't that cool...
And aren't pretty...

Ah, and I know one boy like Koizumi. He's insufferable. It's a pain in the Kunikida. He always needs the true, and if he's wrong, start to talk, and talk, and talk.... and no one can stop him...

why don't you punch him?

:roll:

that always shut them up.

no wait. don't do that.

sorry. dammn. need an after work beer....

*hates mondays*
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Fushichou
Koizumi Ranger
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Fushichou »

Uh...no...my parents were never that awesome...I don't care if I wasn't alive at the time...
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

They didn't appear because there was no real reason to...but most certainly Haruhi's behaviour had nothing to do with her parents...they are just normal parents...if they really exist....
Lumbargo
Astral Realm

Post by Lumbargo »

fiendmaw wrote:They didn't appear because there was no real reason to...but most certainly Haruhi's behaviour had nothing to do with her parents...they are just normal parents...if they really exist....
Her parents almost definately 'exist', because Haruhi mentions them a few times; furthermore, in terms of 'has Haruhi just created them?', you have to accept what your senses tell you, because there sno way to know otherwise. Also, I get the feeling Haruhi would be a whole lot weirder without parents.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

..sumthn came to me, has anyone in here considered that kyon doesn't think like a 15-year old as he narrates SHnY? i mean, i know a lot of 15-yr old guys and girls, mostly in the phils but also a couple in europe, us and japan, and none of them are as stoic as he is.. somehow i can't help but think that kyon is based on an actual person tanigawa nagaru-san met sometime ago..

also, since kyon does seem to think ahead of his age, that would confirm the possibility that he was telling SHnY as a memory, either he's at her (Haruhi) funeral, at their wedding, or telling their story to their kids..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Notice though how Kyon's time frame seems to shift every single time he tells a new story about the SOS Brigade. These shifts do not always seem like they are being told from the distant future. Sometimes, it seems as if they are being told almost immediately after the event. As for the narration coming from someone much older, I have heard that a lot of Japanese high school boys tend to be much like Kyon in the sense that he is cynical and sarcastic about life in general. I do not know how true this is though. However, in some ways, he does act a little older than he is. It could be that he is just the exception to the rule of maturity.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

i thought kyon's shifting time frame was a literary device on tanigawa nagaru-san's part.. something of a compliment to haruhi's chronological - though incoherent at times for story material - telling of her story. as for the being cynical and sarcastic of high school shounen, well i haven't been in touch with my nihonjin friends lately, but they did tell me that most of their acquaintances were stoic, though a little like closet otaku..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”