2 question

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

AuraTwilight wrote:Speaking of which, I'm not exactly sure, but wasn't it mentioned in Snow Mountain Syndrome by Koizumi that Haruhi's powers might be diminishing?
"Might" being the key words. And, due to Sasaki's appearance, she seems to be destabilizing again.

Also, I think, if there ever WAS a danger of her stabilizing completely, Kyon would do something intentionally to restart her powers. Remember, he LIKES his life crazy, contrary to what he protests prior to Vol 4.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Beware the talking cat »

I don't get why, if Yuki can steal Haruhi's powers, she can't copy them like the IDSE wants to.

Supposing Haruhi went apocalyptic again, could Yuki steal her powers in response to keep the world from being restarted?
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

Naw, I think that would be the day that both of them go berserk. Then, Asahina-san will not be able to do anything because she does not have the clearance. Koizumi will be off somewhere, who knows where. Kyon will just be screwed.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

ainsoph9 wrote:Naw, I think that would be the day that both of them go berserk. Then, Asahina-san will not be able to do anything because she does not have the clearance. Koizumi will be off somewhere, who knows where. Kyon will just be screwed.
Kyon's screwed whichever way you look at it. This is what comes of associating with abnormal people.

Not that he probably cares, but...
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Beware the talking cat wrote:I don't get why, if Yuki can steal Haruhi's powers, she can't copy them like the IDSE wants to.

Supposing Haruhi went apocalyptic again, could Yuki steal her powers in response to keep the world from being restarted?
It seems to me that Yuki actually did copy Haruhi's powers (either that or she had her original powers are greatly amplified) since in Volume 7 Prologue she seems to still retain the ability to alter reality including recreating the IDSE. :D
That Nagato nodded, and said, in a slightly hesitating voice that only I could understand,

"Unable to sense the existence of the Integrated Data Sentient Entity."

"It's not here."

My Nagato faintly said,

"I am still connected to the time and space I am from, let me do the second adjustment. "

"Understood." Said the Nagato from the past.
Though if recreating the IDSE is not considered generating new data, (i.e. the IDSE is technically recreated as opposed to created from scratch) Nagato's ability is still not on par with Haruhi: she is capable of altering data on a massive scale but not creating it. (i.e. She cannot create a sealed reality)

As for whether Yuki can counteract Haruhi restarting the world, it is unlikely. Yuki changes reality by directly manipulating its data, while Haruhi, according the Volume 1, creates a new reality in a sealed space which "grows" until it replaces the original reality while the original reality "shrinks" until it becomes a sealed reality (which presumably disappears afterwards). 8)
While Yuki, like Itsuki, can breach a sealed space (Mystérique Sign), Haruhi is capable of creating an extra strong sealed space as seen in the end of Volume 1 (in which Itsuki can only appear as an immaterial form even with the support of all the espers in his Organization).

As for Haruhi's powers, they are not diminishing, but stabilizing. Which is why the opposing forces are trying to stir up trouble à la Ryoko (from Wandering Shadow):
"I've said it before, haven't I? Suzumiya-san's mind is gradually stabilizing. As happy as I am about it, there are also others who are undoubtedly disappointed with the current state of affairs. This is where the problem lies."

I remained quiet, signaling for Koizumi to go on. Koizumi placed a finger on his lips, and said:

"There may even be some who think that things would be meaningless if Suzumiya-san continues to stabilize. Be it a data flare, a time quake, or a dimensional disruption, I think that there are people who are secretly manipulating things in the shadows, trying to evoke Suzumiya-san's unbelievable powers.
Kaisos Erranon wrote:Kyon's screwed whichever way you look at it. This is what comes of associating with abnormal people.

Not that he probably cares, but...
On the subject of Kyon, despite being the character with the least amount of power, he has what none of the other characters have: free will.
- Mikuru is kept ignorant by her superiors and thus unable to choose for herself. :twisted:
- Itsuki has knowledge but is either unwilling and/or unable to greatly alter the events, all his actions are more or less reactions to Haruhi's actions. :lol:
- Haruhi is kept ignorant like Mikuru, indulges in "thoughtless rampages", and has too many special interest groups prodding her for her to be considered free.
- Yuki is willing but unable to alter "predetermined events" despite her best efforts :cry: (Volume 4)
- Kyon is probably the reason why Yuki still believes in "free will" as Kyon stated at the end of Volume 4:
It was no use trying to justify my actions as it was I who made the decision to return to this side. It was different to Haruhi's thoughtless rampages, this decision was my own free will, I have thus chosen to be spun around meaninglessly.

In that case, someone needed to carry that responsibility and see things through to the end.

That person wasn't Nagato, it wasn't Haruhi either, but myself.

"Serves me right......"
In other words, he may be screwed but he chose to be screwed. :lol:
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

Anonymous wrote:In other words, he may be screwed but he chose to be screwed. :lol:
Well, considering the last time Haruhi went berserk he got to kiss her, and the last time Yuki went berserk, she came on to him, maybe he thinks if he sticks around long enough for Mikuru or Tsuruya-san to go berserk, he might actually really get "screwed". ^_^
bakadesu
Astral Realm

Post by bakadesu »

it seems that kyon already chose himself the path of sorrow by trying to contain haruhi. he chose to be screwed so that haruhi wont screw others ~_~
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I do not think that Kyon is that selfless. I just think that despite how much he complains, he just likes paranormal phenomena too much. That and when you have friends to enjoy that paranormal phenomena with, life is a blast for him, I guess.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

bakadesu wrote:it seems that kyon already chose himself the path of sorrow by trying to contain haruhi. he chose to be screwed so that haruhi wont screw others ~_~
Only he can be 'screwed' by Haruhi.
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't get why, if Yuki can steal Haruhi's powers, she can't copy them like the IDSE wants to.
Because if she did, she'd have no more reason to observe Haruhi and she and the other interfaces would probably have to leave, which Nagato doesn't want.
Nagato's disposition at the end of the book seems to imply that wielding Haruhi's power was an OMGWTF experience that she doesn't want to repeat.
It seems to me that Yuki actually did copy Haruhi's powers (either that or she had her original powers are greatly amplified) since in Volume 7 Prologue she seems to still retain the ability to alter reality including recreating the IDSE.
I don't know how you get "create the IDSE" out of "Let me readjust the coordinates and find them again."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:10 am Post subject:
Beware the talking cat wrote:

It seems to me that Yuki actually did copy Haruhi's powers (either that or she had her original powers are greatly amplified) since in Volume 7 Prologue she seems to still retain the ability to alter reality including recreating the IDSE. Very Happy
Quote:
That Nagato nodded, and said, in a slightly hesitating voice that only I could understand,

"Unable to sense the existence of the Integrated Data Sentient Entity."

"It's not here."

My Nagato faintly said,

"I am still connected to the time and space I am from, let me do the second adjustment. "

"Understood." Said the Nagato from the past.

Though if recreating the IDSE is not considered generating new data, (i.e. the IDSE is technically recreated as opposed to created from scratch) Nagato's ability is still not on par with Haruhi: she is capable of altering data on a massive scale but not creating it. (i.e. She cannot create a sealed reality)

As for whether Yuki can counteract Haruhi restarting the world, it is unlikely. Yuki changes reality by directly manipulating its data, while Haruhi, according the Volume 1, creates a new reality in a sealed space which "grows" until it replaces the original reality while the original reality "shrinks" until it becomes a sealed reality (which presumably disappears afterwards)
If she feels like it. Haruhi can just as easily go "poke it" and just make the change.
As for Haruhi's powers, they are not diminishing, but stabilizing. Which is why the opposing forces are trying to stir up trouble à la Ryoko (from Wandering Shadow):
Snow Mountain Syndrome pretty much states that Haruhi's powers are on the path toward actually disappearing due to her stabilization, not just a cease on using the powers.
it seems that kyon already chose himself the path of sorrow by trying to contain haruhi. he chose to be screwed so that haruhi wont screw others ~_~
Sorrow? Pfft, what are you, gay?
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Re: 2 question

Post by shichinanatsu »

.. maybe haruhi would 'unconsciously' want her powers to go out with a bang.. i mean, if she really loses her god-status, the 3 weirdos wouldn't have to observe her anymore.. that would most likely lead to the sos dan disbanding.. that would suck, even if it's a kyon-haruhi ending..

besides, volume 9 has 2 storylines right? it would be reasonable to expect 2 endings.. let the fan decide which would be better..
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”