Haruhi's Hair

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

*Guest who posted about Kyon's name in the Kyon Theory topic*

Actually, colour vision can be a very funny thing you see. A person with better colour vision may actually see red, while people with lower colour vision recognize it as brown.

Have you ever noticed that a few people can't really tell the difference between purple or blue?

Thats because their colour vision isn't that good. You shouldn't call them colour blind though.

I would explain this a bit more, but its been a while since I've done any studying of the human eyes. Just know that there is no sence in arguing over what colour it is when its so close together.

And for the record, I myself see it as a redish brown.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

The problem is twofold:

First, A person's vision is mitigated by the fact that they have (very likely) had the same vision abnormalities their whole life. Therefore, a person will always see light with a wavelength of approximately 650nm to be "red" regardless of how the brain actually process the signal because they're been conditioned all their life to associate 650nm light with the word "red"

Second, color is objective and qualitative. We can measure color scientifically, and there is a standard for the various color values. In the image I linked, the RGB values for the hair are:

Highlight: 236 167 136
Midtone: 192 122 96
Shadow: 143 89 65

(Approximate, stupid JPG compression...)

The midtone is somewhere between "peru" and "chocolate" - which makes it a brown. The highlight is in amung the "salmon" range and the shadow is between "sienna" and actual brown.

That said, this is easily one of the biggest sticking points in digital imagery. Display calibration is extremely important to ensure that the colors on the monitor match those on the final printed graphics. It is extremely easy for the display to be just slightly out of contrast, hue or brightness and throw off the perceived color dramatically. The data itself never lies, though... her hair is brown.
=Smidge=
IrishHaremOtaku
Astral Realm

Post by IrishHaremOtaku »

It's definitely a light brown.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”