Western Order

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Western Order vs. Japanese Order

Western (Haruhi Suzumiya)
10%
Japanese (Suzumiya Haruhi)
90%

Total votes: 20

Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Western Order

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Well, this came up on the Haruhi talk page. Someone thinks it's better to have the names in Western order. e.g. Haruhi Suzumiya instead of Suzumiya Haruhi.

I personally think that the Japanese order is better. Just me. Vote in the polls . . . .
z-one
Astral Realm

Post by z-one »

Hi! I registered just so I can vote! and my vote goes to...

Japanese order! (at the moment there's not a vote for western order so it wasn't a big surprise)

Just wanted to say this very important information that we have the same order for names here in Hungary, maybe the only country like that in Europe. Now that you know where I live you can come and hunt me down! (Don't do it please...)
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

z-one, don't worry-zeh. unless if you're named JumpyShoes, leapingloafers, or any name-zeh involving jumping forms of shoes you're safe.

if not run fast-zeh. :twisted:
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

z-one wrote:Hi! I registered just so I can vote! and my vote goes to...

Japanese order! (at the moment there's not a vote for western order so it wasn't a big surprise)

Just wanted to say this very important information that we have the same order for names here in Hungary, maybe the only country like that in Europe. Now that you know where I live you can come and hunt me down! (Don't do it please...)
Heh . . . Some people actually know what area I live in (within 50 miles) . . . .
QCTX
Project Translator

Post by QCTX »

Some people actually know what area I live in (within 50 miles) . . . .
The 51th ?
Scuse my english, I'm french.
So don't hesitate to correct me.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Jumpyshoes »

Holy crap, this has gone way off topic and there have been less than 10 responses . . . . Well, this is mostly due to me, BUT, can people post why they want a certain order? So far, it's been 10-0, Japanese order. And only one person has posted why they want it.
missaw
Astral Realm

Post by missaw »

Well I haven't voted, but thats mainly because to be honest it doesn't really matter to me. Like I was telling my friend about the anime, and I called it "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu", and then said that it was "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" in english.

It sounds fine to me both ways. Haruhi Suzumiya, Suzumiya Haruhi. I'm American, so saying it the former way is more natural for me, but because I listen to subbed anime, I've gotten used to it the latter way as well. In the end, I think of it more as a "situational" type of thing. If i'm talking with experienced anime fans I generally use the japanese way, but just talking with another english fan or a newer anime fan I use the english way.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”