A little thing I wanted to highlight.

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

boopkit
Astral Realm

A little thing I wanted to highlight.

Post by boopkit »

In Volume 2, Chapter 2, there is a sentence as "Humming the Turkish Rondo, she opened her bag and took out a few pieces of printed paper."

The term for it must be "Rondo alla Turca".
The fact is that the last movement of Mozart's 11th piano sonata has that term for rhythm for the players to underand the tempo, and the attitude of the piece.

It has been accepted as "Turkish Rondo" or more commonly "Turkish March" in Turkey, and could be in Japan like that too.
So maybe it is the exact translation, but I just wanted to point this out.
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

The Japanese term according to the Japanese Wikipedia is 「トルコ行進曲」.

トルコ = toruko = Turkey
行進曲 = koushinkyoku = march[ing song]
boopkit wrote:It has been accepted as "Turkish Rondo" or more commonly "Turkish March" in Turkey...
...and possibly in Japan too. So the Japanese term is literally "Turkish March", but it's still up to the translators to decide what they want to do. Personally, I would translate it as "Turkish March" (since that's the exact Japanese equivalent) and use a Wikipedia link.
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

In English the 3rd movement of Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 11 is almost always referred to as the Turkish Rondo.

It's one of Mozart's most popular piano pieces, so it's only natural that there should be a common translation from the Italian in most countries.

As far as I can tell, the translation is correct as it stands.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”