First Future Project Poll

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

Which Series/Novels should we do next?

Seikai no Senki
20%
Zero no Tsukaima
61%
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu
11%
Escape From School
6%
GOTH
1%

Total votes: 70

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

First Future Project Poll

Post by onizuka-gto »

Hello Readers, Contributors, Editors & Translators, I will like to officially open the first Future Project Poll.

As you can gather this is the first, and hopefully not the last.

This is to gauge which project you would like to see translated next, you may think it is slightly early considering we have not even progress to halve of our current project, but i'am acutely aware that the certain members of the Translation/Editor teams, might not wish to stay with us when the Haruhi series has be more or less "completed" as in we will be up to the point where we will have to wait for the latest volume, as we are not a "traditional" translation group, and therefore we do not ask our Translation/Editor team members to take part in any other projects that Baka-Tsuki may wish to do.

So it is in Baka-Tsuki interest, to hopefully discover which future novel or series to progress to, and in the process also recruit interested volunteers to Translate & edit, in the resulting nominated Novel/Series.

This will be the first round of candidates, it will be updated to include new suggestion, and will expire until a satisfactory result is obtained just before the "end" of the Haruhi series.

If you have any other suggestion, please do so here, as well as comments relating to the current nominees.

Sincerely,

Onizuka-GTO

Edit: Seikai no Senki has been licenced by Tokyopop so unfortunately I will have to remove it from the list of candidates for the next project.

Edit II: Seikai no Senki reinstated.
GOTH added.

Edit III: Shakugan no Shana removed. series licenced.
Polls reset.
Last edited by onizuka-gto on Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

oh, forgot to add, shiratoriryouko has expressed an interest in the "Seikai no Senki" so at leased one existing Translator is interested in it.

The other translators have yet to express their opinions on the current candidates.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Nidema
Astral Realm

Post by Nidema »

Lets go Seikai no Senki!

its prolly one of the few chances we will get in seeing this great series again.
garra
Astral Realm

Post by garra »

I like shakugan no shana. I saw the anime and got complety hooked on to it. I was hoping they were more though so i wish that the novels wrote more to the ending then the anime.
FatPianoBoy
Astral Realm

Post by FatPianoBoy »

My vote lies with the Senki novels.
My first thought when I saw the suggestion was that someone that wouldn't have to actually translate it suggested it, so I was surprised when I found that to not be the case. In case you haven't heard, the kanji in these novels is pretty intimidating. Even native speakers have a hard time with them. Morioka makes up a lot of words, and the Baronh is tricky as well.
I'm not trying to scare anyone away from it. I just want to make sure everyone knows what they're getting into ;)
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelastguardian »

*From my personal experience*

Shakugan no Shana
I have the novels. The style is not as easy to translate to English as SH; but you have the fansub as backup. Therefore the series *shouldn't* be too difficult.

Escape From School
I have only read a few pages of it (raw), therefore I do not have much to say about the series. I would rank it a bit above SH in terms of difficulty though.

Seikai no Senki [Novel]
This I have no idea. I have not read a single word of the series. Don't ask me :)

Iriya no Sora, Natsu no UFO
This one... I also have the novels. This series is not going to be easy to translate. If I had to rank Iriya and SH on a 1-10 scale, SH would be at around 3 while Iriya would be around 7. Do-able (and definitely worth the effort), but needs planning beforehand.
The anime cut out quite a lot of details, I am not sure if the anime is going help much.

But why stop only with these :) If there is a series you want to translate, just go ahead and create a new page in the wiki (and tell me so I can link to the new page in the wiki). As long as you dedicated, I will support you in anyway possible.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

..And there you have it, straight from the Horse owner mouth!

As long as you are dedicated in completing the series TLG will support you!

This means in theory, if there is more then one series of novels that has enough support, we could do both series!

After all, with so much help from Readers, it is definately feasible.

(^_~)/
Last edited by onizuka-gto on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

@Onizukademongto
harunako
Astral Realm

Post by harunako »

First, I will second for a Senki translation, and I will help translating alongside with shiratoriryouko if it passes. I will probably pick the latest two titles in the series -- Seikai no Senki III / IV. And in my humble opinion, translating this series has similar difficulty level to translating Juuni Kokki, due to the terse and heavily jargon-laid language.

Before giving my list of interesting titles, let me cite my favorite genres first: (1) Sci-fi; (2) Traditional Japanese folklore with a twist; (3) Epic / adventure fantasy; (4) Hardwarming meromero stuff. I hardly touch on Yuri or Mecha stuff, with the rarely exception of Marimite (which explains why I haven't read any FMP so far).

Some of the other titles that I am following right now, and has some chance of being animated someday.

1. Sora no Suzu no Hibiku Wakusei -- adventure of a country's fourth prince and mysterious girl appearing from the country's sacred pillar.

2. Wagaya no Oinari-sama -- about the cunning and powerful Great Fox of Japanese folklore living in modern Japan with a priest family. Featuring great cameos of Japanese deities in each episode.

3. Zashiki Warashi ni Dekiru Koto -- about the adventure of an unconventional Zashiki Warashi (a deity of household protection).

4. Sora no Kyoukai -- by Nasu Kinoko, the genius behind Tsukihime and Fate Stay Night. This would be a great challenge for translators!

5. Fukukatsu no Chi -- the epic of rebuilding a galactic empire after its political center has been annihilated by a massive earthquake (very similar to a similated Tokyo earthquake catastrophe)

Another wild suggestion is to translate Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora. The animated version has, to put it moderately, a broken plot and missing details here and there, and it would be nice to translate the word version...

Too many books to translate, too little time. Always a pain to be a translator...
Nidema
Astral Realm

Post by Nidema »

alright then! lets push for seikai no senki!

i will be getting all 4 novels in september!

we can start then!
Coffee 54
Astral Realm

Post by Coffee 54 »

Hi all, just an average reader new to your forum throwing in my two cents.

First, hat's off to everyone involved in the Haruhi translation project. As I read through Volume 1 I was consitantly pleased with excellent job that was done. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series, particularly the other full novels 2,4, and 7.

Ok, on topic, I'm a big fan of the Seikai no Senki anime so I would love to see the novels translated, only after Haruhi of course. The Seikai anime still has yet to cover the conclusion, so a translation of the novels may be my best bet to see how that series ends.
Dexoy
Astral Realm

Post by Dexoy »

I agree i would like to see the Seikai no Senki novels translated
Spoor
Astral Realm

I did you guys should do the Seikai Novels

Post by Spoor »

:lol: Love the anime and think it would be great idea you guys do the Seikai Novels (banner of the stars).
Nidema
Astral Realm

Post by Nidema »

don`t just think!! VOTE FOR SEIKAI!!!!
Elric of Grans
Astral Realm

Post by Elric of Grans »

Do TOKYOPOP not have a license for Seikai no Senki? I know they are releasing the first Seikai no Monshou novel in October, so it would make sense they would continue after finishing that series.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

well Nidama has informed me that Seikai no Monshou has been licenced, but not Seikai no Senki, and there is at this time no indication of any English publishers to licence it. Of course by the time we are ready for it, that might change, which in that case, we will then focus on the second most popular series.

8)

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”