Enlistment! Dedicated Project wide Editors wanted.

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

putty159
Astral Realm

Re: Enlistment! Dedicated Project wide Editors wanted.

Post by putty159 »

I hope it's not too late to jump on the boat, but I was wondering if there was a position open to edit Toradora. I'm afraid I have no skills in Japanese. I'm also afraid that I only can speak Chinese, not read or write, but if I could, I would write in Traditional. I am, however, very strong in English, and have no problem just correcting sentence structure and grammar. I'm not looking for anything more. Just to sit and take "He/She eats in the Dining hall the fish" and turn it into "She eats fish in the dining hall."
If there's any other information that is required, please do not hesitate to ask. I wandered into this forum on my quest to find translated Toradora light novels, and am new here.

Personally, off the record, it does help that this will allow me to finish up the light novels. Your translation is very good, and I take a lot of pleasure being able to say "I saw that in the anime" while reading your translations. I just think the anime ended too quickly, too awkwardly, and demand the chance to see if the light novel builds up a better ending. However, the fact that production on the Toradora translations have fallen to a standstill, I felt disappointed and craved for work to be done. I'm sure the current translators are busy, trying to juggle multiple jobs, and I just want to help out. Of course, editor might be too big a job for a newbie like me, and any position is welcome.

To summarize
[*]Strong English Backround
[*]Spanish- Reading, Writing, Speaking at a Spanish 3 Honors level. Consider that as you will.
[*]Does not want to change translations drastically, just wants to make sure it flows well
[*]Cannot translate Japanese or Chinese
[*]Willing to take a lower job, or a job that suits my job qualifications
[*]Any information that is needed, I will provide at a moment's notice
[*]Have lots of time, and is willing to be dedicated to the job
[*]Willing to take knowledge learned from this project, and use it on other projects as well, basically, I'm not going to do this and just forget about it. I hope to take a more active role in other jobs as well.
[*]Dedicated to Toradora
[*]Grammar Nazi
[*]Even in informal occasions, I try to use perfect English and grammar to the best of my ability.
[*]Cannot use this forum BBCode at all
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

This is the first time I've witnessed someone post something similar to a resume on here. :o
putty159 wrote:[*]Grammar Nazi
I like this. 8)

Make sure to register your name on the wiki as well. Check the Toradora project and contact the people in charge directly. I'm sure they can find a place for you.

Welcome to Baka-Tsuki.
dragonst
Project Translator

Post by dragonst »

Hey I posted a resume-like post and a sample translation when I first started! /stamps foot and pouts
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
誰にも知られることなく、散っていく命がありました。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
明日さえも見えない絶望の中で、今日を生きる権利すら奪われた戦士たち。
守るべき祖国から捨てられ、戦争の大義も、勝利の栄光も、自らの名前さえも奪われた戦士たち。
そして、理想を追い求め、自らの手を血に染める戦士たち。
戦場という絶望の中で、彼らが見た希望とは何だったのでしょうか?
そして、彼らが守り抜いたものとは、何だったでしょうか?
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-
putty159
Astral Realm

Post by putty159 »

I took some inspiration off of your post dragonst. I thought the only way I could get a chance is if I get a good first impression. Thanks for the help dragonst, it's a pleasure to be working with you.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

dragonst wrote:Hey I posted a resume-like post and a sample translation when I first started! /stamps foot and pouts
Psh, like my old ass would remember back that far. Who are you again? :?
Flipside
Astral Realm

Post by Flipside »

Well, I've just read through the Suzumiya Haruhi Light Novels books 1 to 5, and I couldn't help but spotting some things that I think might need a little editing. Most of it is quite minor but they affected the experience. I think the text could be better. Stuff like repeated sentence structures and grammatical mistakes can be irritating when you are trying to fully immerse yourself in the novel. Since I'm reading through the translations, I think I should contribute my share and try to help others who come after me.

I have full confidence in my English skills (I have won a commendation and a high commendation for my Commonwealth Essays in the past two years), and I am proficient in both simplified and traditional Chinese (my native tongue, though my English is a little better).

I am very free as of now. If I'm not wrong, the Haruhi Light Novels are locked as of now. I'm new to this so I'm not sure how all of this really works, but I just want to be able to edit the Haruhi novels. The tone dissonance and grammar issues can be really grating. Please drop me a message if I'm posting in the wrong thread.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Haruhi is locked because they are licensed and published in english by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

I own the first two--soon to be the first three. They're pretty good translations, and as long as you get the hardcover version, the cover's not bad. I wish it came with a dust jacket though--I think it just looks classier.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
Flipside
Astral Realm

Post by Flipside »

I see. Which begs the questions: Why are there chapters in other the novels that are not locked? I assume the licensing extends through the entire series (or does it?). I do have the first 2 books, and they are not bad, but I still think the monologues are still a little too stiff.

Anyway, I think I'll go work on the ones that are not locked yet before they are.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

They will get locked as soon as the next novels are published/licensed or one of those is announced...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
CJ Han
Astral Realm

Post by CJ Han »

Greetings, people. I'm really hoping that you would just give a little attention to what I have to say.
I'm a Malaysian, and I love to write; I love to learn; and most of all, I love to be of people's service.
I'd like to help around. Does anyone mind teaching me some Japanese in return?
I'd be really thankful if you could teach me your native language.
My blog: Blackhounds.blogspot.com
It's new, so the posts are not that much. Sorry. But have my word, I'll be posting.
My Facebook: Shaw Han
Thanks for reading! I love you Japanese! And to the boss around here too, cheers!
Io viva per la arte di iscritto! I live for the art of writing!
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

I'm not really sure if this is the right place for this. If you in fact are curious about becoming a dedicated editor, you'll need to clarify that.

As for the learning, that's something we help out with, but don't teach from scratch. If you wish to learn Japanese you'll need determination and dedication to do it.
swiftstrike
Kyonist

Post by swiftstrike »

I'l volunteer to become an editor...
Always been editing editing stuff lol.

I'm pretty sure theres a lot of sites that can teach Japanese. (Wikipedia books too) I remember partially learning it from Iphone Apps lol.
Read and edit along the way....that's my style.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

swiftstrike wrote:I'l volunteer to become an editor...

I'm pretty sure theres a lot of sites that can teach Japanese. (Wikipedia books too) I remember partially learning it from Iphone Apps lol.
If you dont mind... can you PM the links to these sites? I am kinda... really kinda... interested to learn... if i ever find the time to... Will it teach enuf for me to read novels in japanese??
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
shortykilz
Astral Realm

Post by shortykilz »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
swiftstrike wrote:I'l volunteer to become an editor...

If you dont mind... can you PM the links to these sites? I am kinda... really kinda... interested to learn... if i ever find the time to... Will it teach enuf for me to read novels in japanese??
Could you send a PM with those links to me as well? I've been trying to find a way to learn Japanese for awhile now. Please and thank you. :D

Return to “News”