Mahouka: General

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei ?

It was good! Please do more!
99%
It was interesting.
1%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 7748

Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka: General

Post by Zuruumi »

Firstly, Mari did look at someone, but she looked at Tatsuya, I don´t think it would cause any particular harm to him.

As for volume 4, I read it, about 4 times by now and I am still not sure. Well Morisaki would be the primary possibility, but the ones who could get harmed mentally by this to some extent are so numerous, that it is too hard to guess.
caiooa
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by caiooa »

Don't know exactly were to post this
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/849/849516/
it was "predictabo", but miyuki will be in dengeki bunko fighting climax as a playable character, tatsuya as a assist
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well if they made Tatsuya as a playable character it would be kind of... boring. Either they would have to make him unable to use any magic (but that would kill all the meaning of it) or it would be just: Tatsuya comes on the stage, you press one key, Mist Dispersal activates, enemy disappears :). Than you forget to press the one key, self restoration automatically activates, Tatsuya has full hp :). He would be immortal (well in reality he isn´t but that odesen´t really matter.
maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by maqhusson »

Hello~
I'm new here and I began reading Mahouka a little while ago. There's two things I want to say. Firstly, I love it so far, so I wanted to thank all the staff that worked on translating and editing the light novel, you've done an amazing job. Secondly, I wanted to help in some way if it was possible, but since I can't read or speak Japanese, the only thing I can do at the moment is editing. I'm pretty confident in my English and think I would be able to do fine as an editor. Just wanted to know if there was any need for another editor despite there being a decent number of them already (compared to translators at least).
Also, thank you larethian for helping me~
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

If you want to edit you should create a Baka-Tsuki account (not just a forum account), that way it's easier for the staff to know what you've edited. After that you can just start editing by using the edit button on individual pages.
Of course you should read the guideline first:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ne#Editors
maqhusson
Void Mage

Post by maqhusson »

Thank you~
I've already made a Baka Tsuki account and read the guidelines for editing, I just wanted to ask in the fourms if there was anything else that I should know before editing or whether we had to tell the others about what we're editing.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

As long as you follow the guidelines, you're safe.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Yeah, basically you can edit anything. As long as you stick to smaller changes and do discuss things properly if you want to make a bigger one (or at least post it somewhere and wait some time) noone will mind. The only thing you have to be especially careful about are things, that are specific for the translator´s style. For example if he likes to use [] in the text instead of " " although it might be a good point to discuss, don´t change it arbitrarily. The same for sentences, as long as there isn´t a mistake you shouldn´t change them too much (or you should post it bofore changing). Basically there used to be some problems with stubborn editors who changed the things even after they were specifically notified not to do so, so some people might be a bit sensitiv about this.
maqhusson
Void Mage

Post by maqhusson »

Hi, thanks for the responses~
What I've seen in the light novel translation so far is really nice translation. I have seen one or two instances where the sentence remained unclear to me until I re-read it a few times and used context to infer the intended meaning, but that may just be in the pdf I was reading and may have been corrected.
However, there are some small errors that I've noticed here and there, most commonly the misplacement or lack of commas [If magic power was the only consideration then Minoru --> If magic power was the only consideration, then Minoru]. There are also places where I feel that the sentences should be joined [Retsu called out as he knocked; after a moment of slight hesitation, the door to the room opened. Showing a narrow view of the face of a pale boy. --> Retsu called out as he knocked; after a moment of slight hesitation, the door to the room opened, showing a narrow view of the face of a pale boy. ] or where better word choice could have been implemented [fitting for --> befitting] (I felt this was better suited due to the overall vocabulary of the light novel).

From what I read, I can make the changes to the commas, but not the choice of words. Unsure of where the sentence joining/structure would fall (permissible or not permissible).
Anyways, I've already made a few changes (only slight ones and have only started on Volume 13), so I was wondering about the limits of what I could edit. I'd be much obliged if someone could tell me~

So, I came across this in Volume 13 Chapter 1.

Isori earnestly shook his head. On the other hand, Azusa took refuge in a corner of the room. Rather than next month’s Nine Schools Competition, they should probably choose to deal with the carnage occurring before their eyes.<!---page 54---> But as for the response from the other members, Izumi, for example, was viewing Isori, who was desperately making excuses, with annoyance, but was this from tiredness or was this from shock; she was not looking at the work in progress screen — but rather at Miyuki, who was reading reports at her desk.

The sentence [But as for the response from the other members, Izumi, for example, was viewing Isori, who was desperately making excuses, with annoyance, but was this from tiredness or was this from shock;], seemed confusing to me the first few times I read it.

I was thinking that changing it to [As for the response from the other members, Izumi, for example, was viewing Isori, who was desperately making excuses, with annoyance, but whether this was from tiredness or shock was unknown.]

Again, I'd be much obliged for responses~
Last edited by yoyoyo5678 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I merged posts
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
yoyoyo5678
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by yoyoyo5678 »

I just fixed the noinclude tag + nav tag in V03, V08, V13 - now the users will be able to move to the Backgrounds from the Novel Illustrations and from the chapter 0/1 and to move from the Backgrounds to the Novel Illustrations and the first chapter

(lol sorry for talking around - about my Formulation- I have a little fever)

If you think that it is worng thing to do- just tell me and i'll undo everything.
Link to my user on B-T
calcilis
Astral Realm

Post by calcilis »

lel Shiba Miyuki is in kancolle ?

Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

maqhusson wrote:[questions]
I don't think people will undo it in that particular scenario, but you should avoid word changes if possible. If you're not sure if it's a word at all, please use a dictionary before changing it.

Best case examples I can think of people not understanding what they are changing are the ones who zealously change genteel -> gentle or people who don't understand that "had had" IS legitimate in English.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Or just use the internet. If you think a word is wrong: google it. Not only will it save others the trouble of correcting you and it will increase your vocabulary.
Rick the Tick
Astral Realm

Post by Rick the Tick »

I just finished reading the story soo far and I got to say I love it. I want to thank everyone who has worked on the story.

My question is this (sorry if it has already been discussed, haven't read all the posts)? Why is it a big deal that nobody can find out that Tatsuya and Miyuki are Yotsuba? Though it looks like more than a few characters have found out about them being from the Yotsuba, like Erika, Mayumi and the Elder Kudou.
Imladir
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Imladir »

Elder Kudou knows they are Yotsuba, but he doesn't seem to really care: they are children, and those of one of his pupils. He wouldn't make a move against them since he doesn't have anything to get from it.
Mayumi (and Katsuto) actually thinks that Tatsuya (and the Shiba family as a whole) is an Extra, she doesn't think for a moment that he is a Yotsuba.
Erika knows he is a Yotsuba or more precisely that he is connected to the Yotsuba (but we didn't see her generalize this to Miyuki, go figure), but is quite afraid of what it means and she took Tatsuya's warning to heart, making sure no one she cares about makes the connection.

As for why the others didn't make the connection between the siblings and the Yotsuba, it's actually quite simple: why should they? Erika was able to do so thanks to Tatsuya slipping a few things regarding Lina and the USNA operation in Japan, but none of the others got to witness this.
Of course, for most of them, there's more than meets the eye so they can link him to some branch family, maybe the Extras, but anymore than that?
As far as we know, only the Yotsuba hide their (young) members from the public eye, and given their reputation who would even consider them likely? Miyuki, a Yotsuba? Sure, she can be frightening, but come on, the Yotsuba are made of nightmares, everyone knows this, no way can sweet little Miyuki be associated with them! Moreover, it's not polite to inquire about someone's lineage and the Yotsuba control of information is top-notch.

The main problem in my opinion is that most of the characters accept what they're being told - or come to suspect - and don't try to inquire further or change anything in the way they act.
For Erika, it's perfectly understandable for her not to inquire further given what happened when she "learned" it. But... The way she acts with Tatsuya and Miyuki doesn't change at all. It should at least make her unsure of how to act for a bit. Even if she were to calm down, even if she is, well, who she is, suspecting that two people you know and are quite close to are Yotsuba, that should make you feel a bit of unease for a while. And we didn't see any of that at all.
One typical example is Azusa and Silver. From the "Device Otaku", that's quite weird. Even if she wants to respect the secrecy, why wouldn't she talk a lot about it to Tatsuya, at least once?
Mayumi never tried to discover wether the Shiba are really an Extra family (might be because it would be too "unpolite" for her, but it's not Katsuto's case) or something else entirely.

Well, all this to say that in my opinion the problem doesn't lie in the fact that almost no one knows, but that the one who could know don't follow through.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”