Help (Pui Pui)

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Zyzzyva165
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Help

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

salv87 wrote:it's more like she drunk and played around with the guys the whole night in the anime ^_^
(Yappari...) Right, so I'll take the lewd sense then.
Trabius wrote:although according to wikipedia, there's a potentially lewd alternate meaning.
Mind elucidating this meaning, Trabius? Thanks. :D
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
ShadowZeroHeart

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

No, in this case, the mahjong description is fine. It simply means she look as though she didnt get enough rest and such. do not take it literally. It is a metaphor, since she is not a model to begin with, she just looks like one.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Trabius
Astral Realm

Post by Trabius »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:No, in this case, the mahjong description is fine. It simply means she look as though she didnt get enough rest and such. do not take it literally. It is a metaphor, since she is not a model to begin with, she just looks like one.
Yeah, I agree. The alternative is "promiscuous", but I think it's more likely that she just stays out at night playing around. Besides, I think that alternate meaning is rarely, if ever, used.
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Alright, I'll settle with the mahjong then. Thanks...
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

Zyzzyva165 wrote: So does Margery play mahjong throught the night? Can anyone who watches the anime clarify this? :?
I saw the first season, and I don't remember her playing mahjong, but... I think that unless you have some sort of clear indication otherwise you ought to translate it that way (as an all night mahjong session.)

As for the OP, though I didn't notice it at the time, Trabius's translation is much better IMHO. Hanashi maps to more than word in English, and in this case it is "language", as in "Just where did you learn that sort of language, young man?" Think a mom responding to her son who has just told her she is a b*** for making him eat his broccoli. Warukatta is an almost literal equivalent of the current "my bad" in English. So the second sentence is something like.. "Sorry if I said something that offended you."
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Post by jupiter_ringsid »

duncan wrote: Is for the OP, though I didn't notice it at the time, Trabius's translation is much better IMHO. Hanashi maps to more than word in English, and in this case it is "language", as in "Just where did you learn that sort of language, young man?" Think a mom responding to her son who has just told her she is a b*** for making him eat his broccoli. Warukatta is an almost literal equivalent of the current "my bad" in English. So the second sentence is something like.. "Sorry if I said something that offended you."
Nope, the translations of the hanashi in this case is not language. And I'm saying that because I've read the raw manga (it's in chapter 6 of the manga), so I know exactly the situation. They were talking about the story/legend about magic lamp.
Page 140 of vol. 1 The conversation is something like :
Yuuya: Magic lamp?
Yuuya: Jin, you're thinking about that kind of irrational thing? (
Girl: Hey...
Girl: That kind of story, from whom did you hear about it?
read then end of chapter 5 too, if you want to understand the situation.
Last edited by jupiter_ringsid on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

jupiter_ringsid wrote:
duncan wrote: Is for the OP, though I didn't notice it at the time, Trabius's translation is much better IMHO. Hanashi maps to more than word in English, and in this case it is "language", as in "Just where did you learn that sort of language, young man?" Think a mom responding to her son who has just told her she is a b*** for making him eat his broccoli. Warukatta is an almost literal equivalent of the current "my bad" in English. So the second sentence is something like.. "Sorry if I said something that offended you."
Nope, the translations of the hanashi in this case is not language. And I'm saying that because I've read the raw manga (it's in chapter 6 of the manga), so I know exactly the situation. They were talking about the story/legend about magic lamp.
Page 140 of vol. 1 The conversation is something like :
Yuuya: Magic lamp?
Yuuya: Jin, you're thinking about that kind of irrational thing? (
Girl: Hey...
Girl: That kind of story, from whom did you hear about it?
OK, sorry about that then... the dangers of working without context. Given that context you are clearly correct, and I am clearly wrong.
Trabius
Astral Realm

Post by Trabius »

duncan wrote:OK, sorry about that then... the dangers of working without context.
Yeah, context is definitely important, especially when it comes to Japanese. Depending on how vague the sentence is, you might end up with five or six possible meanings that would work in different circumstances. Even when I've got the right context, I still tend to gloss over things unless I have to explicitly translate them into English.
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Erm... Another expression here. Looks like it is quite a indigenous phrase. Hopefully Japanese ppl here will be able to help out. :D
抑え目 from

誰も信じてくれないかもしれませんが、抑え目です.
Trabius
Astral Realm

Post by Trabius »

Osaeme should mean something like 'muted' or 'subdued'.
So: 誰も信じてくれないかもしれませんが、抑え目です--> I doubt anyone would believe me, but it's rather tame.

Does that make even the slightest bit of sense in context? Sorry I can't help any more than that.
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Trabius wrote:Osaeme should mean something like 'muted' or 'subdued'.
So: 誰も信じてくれないかもしれませんが、抑え目です--> I doubt anyone would believe me, but it's rather tame.

Does that make even the slightest bit of sense in context? Sorry I can't help any more than that.
Yeah, thanks! :D
elkin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by elkin »

Having a little difficulty deciphering this sentence:

時計屋の店主は背中をゾクリと震わせる。

Is ゾクリ meant to be SFX or a colloquiel phrase?

Thanks in advance to the help :)
Trabius
Astral Realm

Post by Trabius »

elkin wrote:Having a little difficulty deciphering this sentence:

時計屋の店主は背中をゾクリと震わせる。

Is ゾクリ meant to be SFX or a colloquiel phrase?

Thanks in advance to the help :)
Zokuri is one of those +と adverbs and means tremblingly/shakingly. You could probably just leave it out like: "The shopkeep of the watch store felt his back tremble."

[Edit] Also, I think when you have a (to) adverb, you can drop the リ and then double it to get the sfx/suru verb form, which should have pretty much the same meaning. (i.e. dokiri-->dokidoki; zokuri-->zokuzoku)
elkin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by elkin »

Thanks :) I thought so as much, but couldn't seem to find ゾクリ in any of the dictionaries I use.
elkin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by elkin »

Sorry for double-posting, but since the thread's here, might as well use it, right?

Not quite sure what the second half of the following sentence means:

磨かれた金属と金属が滑らかに擦れ合う、ある種の小気味良さを含んだ音。

How would you translate 小気味良さ? :/

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”