Learning Sections

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Learning Sections

Post by Krikit »

「娘はともかく、大人としてその物三目いはどうかと思うそ」

hmm....I don't get what: 物三目 kanji mean.....thing | 3 | eye ? "Those three eyes?" I don't really get that....O_o

boy says this to girls father.....I'm a bit stuck :)
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Krikit wrote:「娘はともかく、大人としてその物三目いはどうかと思うそ」

hmm....I don't get what: 物三目 kanji mean.....thing | 3 | eye ? "Those three eyes?" I don't really get that....O_o

I have my reasons to believe that is what happened in manga chapt 3, recently released...
PuiPui!_v01_c03-066.png
"Your daughter aside, how can someone who is a parent say something so rude."

Or closer to the translated manga, "Nevermind your daughter, but how can an adult like you be so rude."

P.S. please, more clues to where the text is found, please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

lol, I forgot the clues O_o

yes, that was it though. The sentence about the daughter.

uhm, I took your manga translation when I uploaded it, but I'm still not sure what the kanji means....

The sentence after it in the novel is:
Spoiler! :
"Did you learn how in the eighth century the silk road was used to transport articles of clothing and such? In the past, Japan and Persia traded as well. Back and forth from Persia along the silk road, the Magic Lamp finally made it here to Japan."
The father is answering Jin's question about how the lamp got to Japan.
ShadowZeroHeart

Well, i cannot say for sure, you better check with the Japanese translators...
But my guess is that Jin is referring to his rudeness/attitude.

I am guessing it is a japanese term, sorry i cannot be of more help.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

Krikit wrote:「娘はともかく、大人としてその物三目いはどうかと思うそ」

Kind of tricky without context, but it might be a reference to tic-tac-toe, or a game played in a similar grid. In Go the spaces where you put the stones are called "eyes", and "sanmokunarabe" is Japanese for tic-tac-toe. Is that last kana right? The sentence would make a bit more sense to me if it were zo rather than so. Then it might mean something like: "It's one thing for your daughter, but I don't think an adult should be treating this as if it were a game of tic-tac-toe." I have to admit that that makes very little sense to me, but maybe in context it does... anyway, I'm just speculating, so don't take it too seriously.
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

I have to say that the more I look at that the sentence the more I think it cannot possibly make sense. I imagine you stopped caring about this a few days ago, but I am one of those people that can't give up on things I don't understand. I'm like a dog worrying a bone in this respect- I don't know when to stop. Have you checked this against the hard-copy?

I got so worried about this that I ran it by my correspondent in Osaka, who doesn't speak English. She was like "lolwut?" I explained that my friend wanted to know what it meant, and that it was from a novel and... she asked what novel it was. I have a piece of advice for you- never tell a Japanese woman that you are translating a book called puipui, ok? Seriously. You're a young man, and judging from my correspondent's reaction translating puipui might really mess your love life up if you talk about it too much.

Just a hint: I always tell Japanese girls that I am busy translating 雪国。 I actually did read the whole thing in Japanese, and I have to say that it is a tremendously boring book. The ending is OK though- not gainax at all ;). Anyway, it is so boring that Japanese _never_ bother reading the whole thing, so you can make up your own ending for fun and quiz them about it. If they get it wrong you can penalize them.

Anyway, my correspondent thought that that sentence made no sense. So either your OCR software is on the blink, or that sentence only makes sense to dedicated otaku.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Okay, then let me give you some context. It's not an Otaku only thing, that doesn't fit in anywhere with the context. I'm going to get the sentences around it as well....(I've got the hard copies as well, and they say the same thing.)................no they don't....................hahaha, yep, OCR is on the fritz, and I didn't check....so now there's a girl in Osaka who thinks I'm wierd....sigh, hope I never meet her O_o

Anyway, the sentence was actually supposed to be:

「娘はともかく、大人としてその物言いはどうかと思うそ」

三目 was the OCR having trouble with 言 kanji. lol.....O_o

Now it makes sense....O_o

Okay, I'll admit "PuiPui" is a title I even get a little annoyed at, but so far i really like the inside of the book, so it cancels out the distaste for the title :)
ShadowZeroHeart

LOLz why is PuiPui as a title bad?
Well it seems to be from Chichin Puipui

But other than that, what is wrong?

Maybe duncan should ask his friend to read our PuiPui manga translation ^^

Its not a bad manga/novel at all
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Nah, and I really like the book. But it is true the title lacks any form of true originality. The name itself is a magical chant or what not....let's look at this:

とらドラ: tora = tiger dora= katakana (doragon)"dragon" toraXdora is tigerXdragon. TiDrag. The name is amazing.
狼と香辛料: ookami (wolf) to(and) koushinryou(spice[s]). Spice and Wolf. Lawrence and Horo. Animal and flavoring. The names are deep.

then:

ぷいぷい: puipui. It's part of a magical chant....there really isn't much originality in it, and the name is sort of poorly chosen...personally, if it had been called something like: "My Genie Classmate" or "Lamp Genie" or something, it would have had a little more originality...it's not a bad name, it's just...kind of bland, and has a kind of un-manly feel to it :)
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

Krikit wrote:yep, OCR is on the fritz, and I didn't check....
OK, I assumed you had checked that. Check that! ;)- please don't post OCR'd stuff without comparing it to the hard copy... I assumed you had compared the OCR to the hard copy. Otherwise you make obsessive-compulsives like me spend days researching tic-tac-toe in japan. Not that I didn't learn some interesting things.... but I could have been working on Spice and Wolf ;).

Krikit wrote:so now there's a girl in Osaka who thinks I'm wierd....sigh, hope I never meet her O_o
I wouldn't worry about it... to give you some context we also discussed my penis. She asked, so I started off claiming that it was about the size of a blue whale, and that I had to have special pants made for me, and then scaled that claim back to something measured in centimetres. Then we discussed her boyfriend's penis (a bit too large). Then I mentioned puipui and she was shocked ;). I think she doesn't like otaku. Anyway I learned something from that. Japanese women are weird, and puipui is not a good pickup line in Japan. Oh, and I wouldn't worry about it ;).

Anyway, if you ever want to meet a Japanese girl from Oosaka who will marry you just to get a green card, I can introduce you. You are from the States, right?
Krikit wrote:Anyway, the sentence was actually supposed to be:

「娘はともかく、大人としてその物言いはどうかと思うそ」

三目 was the OCR having trouble with 言 kanji. lol.....O_o

Now it makes sense....O_o
That does make a bit more sense. I feel like mikuru-rin here... I let a Japanese woman sexually harass me just so I could ask her your question and it turns out that it was an OCR mistake... all I can say is that it's lucky that I enjoy being sexually harassed ;).
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

wow....what a thing to discuss.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

But yeah, OCR mistake...nooooo I took you away from S&W....nooo, sorry sorry....I thought I had checked it, but i guess i didn't.....sigh....

uhm, I'll go for love over them just wanting a green card :)
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

So....I might have to change my view on the naming "PuiPui!" all of a sudden...

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%81%A1% ... %E7%B5%84)

I think that's where the author came up with "chinchinpuipui" as the chant or whatever :) (though this is called "chichinpuipui", missing an "n".)

....but I don't know.

The overall point of it (youtube videos as well) seems that it's like a TV program which has special interviews and stuff...So apparently there is nothing wrong with the title "puipui", after all, it seems like a variety show, / news show / special interview kind of thing, chichinpuipui. So if you ever talk to her again, the name itself doesn't have anything to do with anime/manga, it was just "adapted." (TV aired first, in 1999, first book was 200x sometime) even though I'll admit it still sounds strange...O_o

EDIT:

Actually, "ChiChinPuiPui" seems to be a program IN Osaka....haha :) Also the more I find about the name, the more I'm realizing it's some kind of interviewing group. If there is any relation between this program and the book I'm translating and manga shadow's translating, I'd like to figure out what it is....
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

Krikit wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

wow....what a thing to discuss.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

But yeah, OCR mistake...nooooo I took you away from S&W....nooo, sorry sorry....I thought I had checked it, but i guess i didn't.....sigh....
I'm easily diverted- the people at my local store are teaching me Gujarati... Luckily they don't scan much so OCR mistakes are not an issue- I'm just joking with you about that. But it turns out that I am probably now the world's foremost expert on noughts and crosses in Japan. And it's all thanks to you.
Krikit wrote:uhm, I'll go for love over them just wanting a green card :)
Ah, nice to be young ;)
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

Krikit wrote:So....I might have to change my view on the naming "PuiPui!" all of a sudden...
I'm sorry for double-posting, but... you do know that chinchin is a vulgarism. right? And what it means? chinchinpuipui is funny- it's even funnier if you say it repeatedly while bouncing up and down. It helps if you have the mind of a six-year old... I'm afraid I do (EDIT: in a jar.. on my desk... pickled in brine... but I guess brain is more appropriate than mind in this case).

Anyway you seem to be an innocent sort of fellow, so I won't expand (no pun intended) on this theme past that. But- check your PM. You have mail.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Uhmm...okay :)

Also, this is what I found out too. I was wrong, it wasn't "chin chin pui pui", it was "chi chin pui pui" I don't know where I got that other "n" from...

But anyway, the TV program is: ちちんぷいぷい and the chant from the novel series is also: ちちんぷいぷい. It's the exact same pointless conglomerate of words....and it appears only twice in this world. On a TV Station aired in Osaka, and as a chant in this novel. I just think there might be a link :)

but yeah, it's not: ちんちんぷいぷい、 but ちちんぷいぷい.

so I hope that doesn't have the same meaning........ :shock: :shock:

Checked PM :)

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”