The number of translators

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

BaKaFiSh
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

So, only two translators?

:roll:
Stratosphere
Astral Realm

Post by Stratosphere »

Unless you want to wait for the Chinese version.
LQY
Astral Realm

Post by LQY »

As a professional editor, if I have two translators, I will divide as following:
Smidge204 wrote:The structure is as follows:
Prologue: 95 pages
All belong to Translator A.
Smidge204 wrote:Chapter 1: 53 pages
All belong to Translator A.
Smidge204 wrote:Chapter 2: 60.25 pages
"Alpha 1" - 3.25 pages
"Beta 1" - 5.5 pages
"Beta 2" - 5 pages
"Alpha 2" - 3.5 pages
"Beta 3" - 2 pages
"Alpha 3" - 1 page
"Alpha 4" - 0.5 pages
"Beta 4" - 40 pages
All belong to Translator B.
Smidge204 wrote:Chapter 3: 73.5 pages
"Alpha 5" - 15.5 pages
"Beta 5" - 15 pages
"Alpha 6" - 22 pages
"Beta 6" - 21 pages
All belong to Translator B.

So Translator A will be 95+ 53 = 148 pages
Translator B will be 60.25 +73.5 = 133.75 pages

Translator A got more pages but Translator B got more chaotic problems on the translation. Btw, it is easier for people who volunteer to edit this novel because A and B is just doing firs half and second half parts.

How do you think about it?
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

I would give the Prologue to Translator A, Chapter 1 to Translator B, Chapter 2 to Translator A and Chapter 3 to Translator B. This way they can release alternately (No need to wait until A completes both his chapters before B can release) and it also lets both translators experience a little chaos ;P
/me claws out throat and dies
LQY
Astral Realm

Post by LQY »

HolyCow wrote:I would give the Prologue to Translator A, Chapter 1 to Translator B, Chapter 2 to Translator A and Chapter 3 to Translator B. This way they can release alternately (No need to wait until A completes both his chapters before B can release) and it also lets both translators experience a little chaos ;P
Well, I am considering about page numbers.

BTW, if you want to show all in the same time, I think ABBA in order will better than ABAB because ch.1 is only 53 pages so translator B will finish earlier than prog. which has 93 pages and to do the ch.2.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Well, I generally don't consider page numbers (the only time it ever bothered me was during Wandering Shadow), but I do get your point :P

ABBA it is then ^^

Oh and BaKaFiSh, are you even listening to this?
deskoh91
Astral Realm

Post by deskoh91 »

Smidge204 wrote:I don't know if that would ruin the "flow" of it or not. It's definitely annoying that some fragments are only a page or so... I see no reason we can't just make each chapter a page as we did before and put "Beta 1" etc in bold.

=Smidge=
I agree with this. the main page would still be in Chapters, and the various Alpha and Beta, since they arent very long anyway, can just be seperated within the chapters with a bold header.
BaKaFiSh
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

HolyCow wrote:Well, I generally don't consider page numbers (the only time it ever bothered me was during Wandering Shadow), but I do get your point :P

ABBA it is then ^^

Oh and BaKaFiSh, are you even listening to this?
So, I'm A? XD
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Well, you and GDsMDDLFNGR could work things out... ;P
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

That sounds like a confusing book...almost worse than those time traveling explainations.
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

i can translate as well.

for example, i've already translated pages 80-82 on animesuki forums. you've probably figured out that i am wtflux there by now :D i would appreciate it if whoever is doing the prologue used that translation, if slightly modified.

i would rather simply translate whatever i find most interesting to read at the moment(obviously i would avoid things that are obviously currently being translated by someone else), but if you want to assign me a particular part, that might make it easier because i won't have to contact the other translators to coordinate.

just out of curiosity, two questions for the other translators:
1. provided you don't get absolutely stumped at a certain part, what would you say your rate of translation is? like, example: 5 pages per hour.

2. is there an IRC chat or anything that any of you actually use while translating to discuss it? ie so that if you get stumped, you can discuss it on IRC. sometimes there are places(kyon's complicated sentences on the first page are difficult to translate, for example) where having a second opinion could greatly speed things up. anyhow does one exist, do you guys use MSN/AIM, or do you pretty much not contact one another at all?

EDIT: mostly 2nd/3rd paragraph
oh, and just to be absolutely clear, i can translate from japanese. if you want to see my translation, i can post pages 80-82 translated, so you dont have to look for them on animesuki.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

When we decide to translate a chapter, we have to first 'register' it via the registration page on the wiki. This helps us know who is doing what, and prevents retralations of the same material. We usually divide the workload by chapters.

As for your questions:

1- Depends. If I get on a roll, I can do things pretty fast (finished translating half of Wandering Shadow in 4 days. It's 40 pages in MS Word font size 12, SimSun font, and only a space between paragraphs), but I'm generally a lazy person ;P Chances are, if you see an update from me, you'll see a couple more in the days to come :P

2- There's an IRC channel for baka-tsuki, but I forgot the addreess for it. All I remember is the channel is called #Baka-Tsuki. When I run into any problems, I mainly ask for help on the IRC or post them in the forums (check out any of the subforums - I've posted a couple of questions regarding translations there). Either that or I just poke Smidge for help :lol:

P/S: Are you interested in translating for Baka Tsuki? We desperately need more Jap --> Eng translators here... Are you fine with working on a single chapter? Since you've started on the prologue, maybe you'd like to translate that? BaKaFiSh has only translated 2 lines of text. I'm sure I can poke... Erm, I mean persuade, him to work on chapter 1 if you wish 8)
BaKaFiSh
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

1. I will go really slow when doing Jap -> En, considering I started learning less than a year ago. >_>

2. It's on IRC.Rizon.net
I frequent Baka-Tsuki. And a lot of other chans. XD

And my MSN is listed here. ^_^
canthelpit
Astral Realm

Post by canthelpit »

yes, i am very interested. i really need something that lets me practice my japanese skills that doesn't have a 'cheat sheet'--i.e. subtitles in anime, or even furigana in some manga(although haruhi has some of that), and i won't be too concerned with a majority of edits(although i generally like to stay as close as possible to literal translations). my name is 'canthelpit' on the translation project site, where i posted a little tidbit about how to translate the first sentence in the prologue.

i'm looking forward to working on this =p although right now i'm nearing the end of the semester in college, so i'll be having finals/projects/etc. coming up soon, so it might be a few weeks before i can be productive(depending on how much i feel like doing schoolwork =p).

baka-fish, being able to translate this in any way is pretty good if this is really your first year studying japanese(heh, or english; i'm guessing your native or 2nd is english , though; maybe chinese?). prodigy! wish i had something like this when i was studying back in HS, although i was mainly only interested in working on sciences/english back then. i probably wouldn't have been able to put up with the kanji, even if i had the great radical lookup system that i have on my computer now.

EDIT: There is one problem. I'm missing 246-280, so unless you can send them to me as scans or something(would be greatly appreciated =p), i'm either gonna have to be on prologue, ch1, or ch2. given that i won't be able to start in earnest for awhile(due to aforementioned reasons) and providing the other translators won't be busy for ~4 weeks like me, ch1 or 2 would thus be best, since if i can't translate much and i'm on prologue that could serve as a roadblock to people who refuse to read ahead. alternatively, for the moment i could translate from pg 80 onward, so that by the time whoever's on early prologue gets there the prologue will be complete(i will be working on it in my free time). this would have the added benefit of more quickly 'unlocking' ch1 to these types of people. i love reading ahead in Haruhi, but i recognize not everyone does.

cant wait til semester ends =/
BaKaFiSh
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

Heh, chu called it~

My first language was 'Taiwanese' or Minnang, w/e
Then was Mandarin
Then I moved here. So English
And now I'm learning Japanese. XD

:roll:

So now, we have 4 chapters for 3 people.

/sigh

Return to “Volume 9 - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第九巻: 涼宮ハルヒの分裂”