Learning Music

This forum is for Music & Culture related discussion

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

UncleVin
Astral Realm

Learning Music

Post by UncleVin »

Hey guys, im kinda new here :D

Anyway, i dont really know if this is the correct place of posting this but...

Im thinking of learning music in Japan. Good?

I live in Singapore, so basically the im around Middle School [ if you put it in Japan's system ] and after my High School [ in singapore it's Junior College, Polytechnic or ITE ] Im thinking of going to Japan to study music, anyone done or thought of this, any advices? thx in advance (:
Rectifier
Astral Realm

Re: Learning Music

Post by Rectifier »

I don't live in southeast Asia so I couldn't tell you what schools to go to or anything, but if you want to earn a degree in Music, you might have to learn multiple instruments depending on what you want to do.
UncleVin
Astral Realm

Post by UncleVin »

thanks mate :)
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

I would ask yourself a few questions before applying anywhere:

1. What kind of degree will I pursue? Many fields of music exist out there from education to therapy to composition to performance. I should ask myself which one is right for me.
2. Do I have the level of commitment required to pursue a music degree? Musicians in general tend to suffer from an imbalance between the hard work they put out and the reward (money, appreciation, etc.) they receive in return. Do I have the determination required to overcome this obstacle?
3. Do I have any musical experience before now? This does not mean, "Have you played the recorder in 4th grade?" Rather, have I played a serious musical instrument (nothing against the recorder)? For how long? If not, do I have any other musical experience outside of listening to your little sister sing?
4. Have I ever performed in any competitions or in public? This is important because I am constantly being judged by my teachers and competing with my fellow students.
5. How does my GPA (Grade Point Average) look? Believe it or not, many music schools are very elitist because they can afford to be with their prestige. I need to find points that make me stick out as an individual.
6. What do I want to do with my degree after I graduate?
7. Do I want to pursue further education after I graduate? This is important, given the amount of student loans and the type of education required.
8. Where can I go to best pursue my goal? Depending on how serious I am and what I can do financially and academically, where I go may seriously impact my future. Too many musicians take many jobs that pay little just to make ends meet. How can I avoid this situation by all means?

I hope that this helps. Having been a musician for about 13 years now, I can probably help you further, if you would like. Please PM me if you want to ask me anything else.
UncleVin
Astral Realm

Post by UncleVin »

Hmm. Wow.. Thats really something.. But thanks for all ur advises, i'll take time to think about it. And yes, I will PM you if i have any questions. :)

Return to “Music & Culture”